What are you reading?

Rankineer

Image result for playing with fire 1968 election

Read this because I think we're going to see a repeat of this next year...3 Stars since the author couldn't keep his political bias out of the pages.

Related image

Written during the Hunt for Red October phase...not even close to being as good...3 Stars.

Image result for hitler's naval war

Currently reading....

• Like 1

Got a few since my last check in here. Reread the first two in the Earthsea Cycle, Wizard of Earthsea and The of Atuan. I forget how much I love these two in particular and will probably go on to the others soon enough. I had a long train ride so I was able to get through the latest Dresden Files book, Brief Cases, in mostly one sitting. It's a collection of short stories and not all of them hit the mark, bit when you're 16 books deep in a series they're all interesting in their own way. Also read The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clark. At first I was excited because the back described it as one of his favorite novels to write, but it just didn't capture me as some of his other works did.

I'd like to invite all the readers here to check out the reading event over in the Community Events section running this month. I've extended the sign-ups until the end of this week so if you:re interested in discussing some books come check it out!

• Like 1

I recently finished up The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore. The book is about two guys who grew up in the same neighborhood, around the same age, with the same name. The only difference is that one Wes Moore (the author) grew up to be a veteran and a scholar. The other Wes Moore ended up in prison for a nasty crime. The book delves into social issues and drug issues in the urban areas of the 70s-90s and how it affected each of them. It also discusses how they were raised and how that factored into their success (or lack of). I think the book is a great read, it's short but a powerful story. About 3 hours to finish. 

• Like 2

I started reading the first Sherlock Holmes book, A Study In Scarlet, after i watched Sherlock enjoyed it. I'm currently on chapter 6, and i'm satisfied with my purchase. Also Ii got the box set, and the books have a really nice design.  

• 3 weeks later...

Image result for bellevue three centuries of medicine

Recently finished Bellevue, a microhistory of a notorious name when it comes to mental health. But that's such a small piece to this hospitals long history. Each chapter covers different wars, practices, plagues, movements, & so forth in an interesting telling of this structures key role in medicine. 

Image result for war dogs rebecca frankel

& on the non-fiction trend, I'm also reading War Dogs. It's a bit a blend of historical information & recounts of military dog stories. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished...Rather good. Explains a lot of the how's and why's on Germany's loss in WWII...I give it 4 stars. The book gets 1 additional star alone for the appendixes in the back of the book. I'd like to find the rest of his series of books now.

Just started....time for some relaxation in my reading...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 1:21 AM, Feral said:

51roV3mOF8L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The audio book is AWESOME....read by Wil Wheaton, which somehow really sells the book and helps to put it over the top. REALLY enjoyed it along with his other book Armada

Just completed Baphomet's Meteor. Wasn't great...wasn't bad either...Alternate History/Parallel Universe styled Sci-Fi. I give it 3 Stars.

Next up....God Told Me To.

5243350. sy475

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PSXtreme_ said:

The audio book is AWESOME....read by Wil Wheaton, which somehow really sells the book and helps to put it over the top. REALLY enjoyed it along with his other book Armada

Hell yeah it is. I've listened to the audio book twice and this is my first time actually reading it. I hear Wil Wheaton's voice in my head as I read lol.

I've listened to Armada, liked it but not as much as Ready Player One. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feral said:

I've listened to Armada, liked it but not as much as Ready Player One. 

Same here..just didn't have the same hook that RPO did...

BTW: for those of you who like to check out electronic versions (audio or e-Books) you can usually get them for free from your local public library online and d/l them. You just need to get a library card and then follow the d/l instructions. The size of your library depends on the wait time or availability of titles, but usually they have all the popular works. You can also get older public domain works free from sites like https://archive.org/ without having to pay a monthly fee. They have an AWESOME collection of old school Sci-Fi works that probably you have never heard of, including works which originated in defunct magazines like Galaxy, Astounding, Fantastic and Amazing Stories

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Image result for big ship at the edge of the universe

Started up this sci-fi novel today. Already had one character square a guy in the balls who had dropped in for a visit. & another that wrecked her own teammate’s ship in the middle of a race. Shaping up to be a good read if you ask me.

Recently finished Wind River Lawman by Lindsay McKenna. Not a bad romance novel, honestly more of a whump episode for (insert any) generic soldier/officer characters you can think off. Not a fan of random character thought inserts you get with these type of novels as narration changes are annoying. But you gotta switch up the genres on occasion.

2285372.jpg

First part of historical fiction series set in ancient Rome. Follows the story of a new recruit Cato and battle hardened Centurion Macro serving in the Second Legion. So far this book has been promising. The setting, battles, characters and politics behind the scenes have kept me interested to follow what's going to happen next. Bonus points for the author keeping the worldview of the characters authentic to the time period. They are not "modern" people in ancient times.

• Like 3