Rankineer

What are you reading?

920 posts in this topic

Image result for big ship at the edge of the universe

Started up this sci-fi novel today. Already had one character square a guy in the balls who had dropped in for a visit. & another that wrecked her own teammate’s ship in the middle of a race. Shaping up to be a good read if you ask me.

Recently finished Wind River Lawman by Lindsay McKenna. Not a bad romance novel, honestly more of a whump episode for (insert any) generic soldier/officer characters you can think off. Not a fan of random character thought inserts you get with these type of novels as narration changes are annoying. But you gotta switch up the genres on occasion.

2285372.jpg

First part of historical fiction series set in ancient Rome. Follows the story of a new recruit Cato and battle hardened Centurion Macro serving in the Second Legion. So far this book has been promising. The setting, battles, characters and politics behind the scenes have kept me interested to follow what's going to happen next. Bonus points for the author keeping the worldview of the characters authentic to the time period. They are not "modern" people in ancient times.

5243350. sy475

Finished....3 Stars...pretty much meh

Image result for outside the dog museum

Finished..2 Stars...Author tried too hard to seem as if he was naturally funny...

Image result for 2001 a space odyssey

Started reread #3...I need to clean my reading palate with something above normal

Edited by PSXtreme_

220px-Little_Green_Men.jpg

Little Green Men - Christopher Buckley

I’m a fan of Buckley’s other works (especially Thank You for Smoking) so I’m giving this one a shot.

Image result for smoke gets in your eyes book

I'm back to my nonfiction with this little number that follows one woman through her role as a crematory operator. She's got a bit of a gallows humor for the situations that arise. It's proving an interesting view behind the mortuary curtain. 

Finished ***** (5 Stars)

Image result for 2001 a space odyssey

Started...

I just finished The Bone Cage by Angie Abdou for one of my uni classes. The ending was not very satisfying and felt like it ended with too many things open for interpretation. 

I am still reading Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman that I put down a while ago. I will finish it soon hopefully.

Finished Little Green Men when I was on vacation and it was a great read. 

The government is behind alien abductions and not in the way you think. Hilarious novel that I actually paused a couple times because I was laughing so hard. 

Recommended. 

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Finished Little Green Men when I was on vacation and it was a great read. 

The government is behind alien abductions and not in the way you think. Hilarious novel that I actually paused a couple times because I was laughing so hard. 

Recommended. 

I love how you said “paused”, game much? 😂

Love, culture, documentation, brain activation, strategic There is no specific book, but now I stopped reading, because some of the books have become misrepresented and not wrong from reality

Currently going through my massive backlog of books, and currently alternating between Filth by Irvine Welsh and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. My ideal way of reading is having a classic and a modern on the go at a time, allowing me to not get bogged down by past dialects and appreciate it fully.

Image result for the bughouse affairImage result for archie in the crosshairs

Just some mysteries as of late. 

913E5Fu066L.jpg 

Really good book, but it's a freaking doorstopper, so make sure you have a lot of time. 

Finished...4 Stars...the only thing that ruined the book for me was changing the destination planet from Saturn to Jupiter. 2001 book, Discovery went to Saturn...2001 movie, Discovery went to Jupiter...2010, both the book and the movie went to Jupiter. :(

Finished...3 Stars...series is starting to border on the ridiculous now and left more new questions unanswered than it answered from 2010 along with Heywood Floyd somehow still being alive and capable of handling the strenuous physical requirements of space exploration. Not in any hurry to read 3001...

Started in book form...so far it's been an up-and-down ride...

After watching the Train Wreck that  Spielberg turned the movie based on the book into, I'm now working thru my 4th auditory reading of this MOST EXCELLENT work of art...

About 45% completed with both at this time

231804.jpg

Just finished rereading The Outsiders for like the 100th time in my life. It's the one book that I was forced to read in high school that actually stuck with me. Not even sure if that's the cover mine had cause I wore it off like a decade ago lol. I might finally have to buy a new copy though cause it literally split in half on this reading.

I think next I'm going to read through The Walking Dead again. Now that it's over, it seems like a good time to read it as a complete story.

It is not exaclty one book what i'm reading right now, but a compilation of H. P. Lovecraft stories, which I definetely love. There is something in his style I appreciate.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:00 AM, MidnightDragon said:

913E5Fu066L.jpg 

Really good book, but it's a freaking doorstopper, so make sure you have a lot of time. 

If you ever travel to Hawaii, make sure you read Michener's book on it. The first 40 or so pages are tough, as he has chosen to describe how the islands have formed. Yep, 40-50 pages of volcanoes and lava. 

But stick with it and I guarantee you'll have a new understanding of the multi-layers of Hawaiian culture. I read it 15 years ago on a visit to Kauai and I can still remember characters, locations and things I read about in the book, and then suddenly spotted them in the landscape. 

2 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

If you ever travel to Hawaii, make sure you read Michener's book on it. The first 40 or so pages are tough, as he has chosen to describe how the islands have formed. Yep, 40-50 pages of volcanoes and lava. 

But stick with it and I guarantee you'll have a new understanding of the multi-layers of Hawaiian culture. I read it 15 years ago on a visit to Kauai and I can still remember characters, locations and things I read about in the book, and then suddenly spotted them in the landscape. 

Well, in the second chapter of this book, it describes the creation of Colorado...all the way back to the Big Bang. When James Michener wrote historical fiction, the man did not fuck around. xD It picks up once they start telling the story of the Native Americans living there. The city and inhabitants are made up, but a lot of the experiences are based in real world history. 

Edited by MidnightDragon