What are you reading?

Rankineer

Finished since my post like a year ago on this:

Cujo - Wikipedia

The Dead Zone (1983? edition) | Open Library

The Stand - Stephen King

Currently reading:

AF65456A64791B4914175A0ACB7448EDD8A16D42.jpg\

I've read all of his short story novels so took a break from the regular novels to start the new one. Not bad so far. Enjoying the first story a lot.

Don't read that much anymore so my "finished" list is rather small.

• Like 2

One thing I really enjoy doing is going back and reading books that I read a long time ago. I like to see if my point of view has changed over the course of my life. For example, if you read a book about a character going through a difficult time like a divorce, death in the family, major illness, or job loss and you yourself have not experienced that, it is very hard to relate. However, reading the story again later in life after you have experienced that same or similar moment in life, that definitely allows you to relate to the story and see if differently. Right now I just started reading Lord of the Flies. I read it when I was a kid and I felt like I could really relate to the characters. However, now that I am an adult, I am wondering if I will see them as miscreants and wonder what ever happen to our youth. A lot like that old man who talks about back in my day kids knew how to respect their elders. ?

the-vanished-kingdom.jpg

The author does a great job of detailing the history of East Prussia, and explains how Russia now has a city carved between the Poland and Lithuania borders; the legendary Prussian city of Konigsberg (today known as Kaliningrad). 

The book is dated, written in the mid-1990s, so the Western author has a jaded opinion on the pedestrian Soviet bloc landscapes, though it's a snapshot of what parts of Poland looked like, immediately after the Cold War.

Great read so far!

Here's a quote to chew on: "To have character and be a German is the same thing." - Erich Ludendorff

(Except there's that thing called the 20th century, Herr Ludendorff! :|)

Since last posting (can't believe it was so long ago):

Giants of the Monsoon Forest by Jacob Shell The Protector by Jodi Ellen Malpas How Long 'til Black Future Month? by N.K. Jemisin Covert Game by Christine Feehan Notes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi Oh, Florida! by Craig Pittman

The standout for best book I've read so far this year is Jemisin's How Long 'Til Black Future Month. It's a collection of short stories, mostly modern folklore & a few sci-fi dystopias.

Currently reading an epic sci-fi action novel, that admittedly, can get a little excessive on the technology descriptions.  

Dark Intelligence by Neal Asher

Edited by Gretchen27

On 5/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, SinisterPledge said:

L4zz9QC.jpg?1

Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski is the second book in the series. After getting completely hooked by the first book I bought the entire series about a year ago. Finally gotten around to continuing this amazing experience and I am loving every page of it. While I sadly cannot attest to the faithfulness of the translation (as I don't understand Polish in the slightest), I am going to go out on a limb and say that this English translation is very, very good. The imagery is painted vividly in my mind whilst reading and not only is the writing of high quality, the translator seems to have successfully managed to capture the author's "personality" and way of writing, despite the change of language.

Probably my favorite book in the series. This is where it really takes off and I love how the characters are developed here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not actually reading, it's more like reviewing my book to see any spell erros :D

But actually I'm gonna publish mine pretty soon...

capa-v1.jpg

The Magic Jewels: The Beginning, my 1st book out of 5 books I'm planning to publish.

Edited by BrunoBomb
Adding my own book :D

On 6/24/2020 at 2:26 PM, Hiyo_Rain said:

The 16 Most Anticipated Horror Books of 2017 | LitReactor

This book is supposed to be a mix of Scooby Doo and the Cthulu mythos. I'm not very far into it yet, but I love mystery/thriller novels and have always been a huge fan of Scooby Doo so I have high hopes for this book!

The premise was intriguing. Having an "adult" version of Mystery Incorporated had me move this book to the top of the To-Read list. However, once you got into it a couple of chapters, the disappointment begin to pile up and the intrigue evaporated. The book was supposed to be taking place in 1990, but the language, mental aspects and rainbow movement overtones all spoke of today. The "ghost" of Peter was nothing more than an empty shell, Tim the dog (stupid dog name in my opinion) had only 1 real Scooby moment and the Daphne/Velma hybrid's hair had more personification and personality than any two of the full-blown characters combined. I won't even go into the Hispanic, Butch Lesbian in combat boots, who becomes the leader of the gang after she kicks an entire bar's patronage into submission, or the neurotic Shaggy-clone who had NONE of his coolness or traits.

If you are looking to relive your childhood, go buy the Cartoon Collection on DVD/Bluray.

It only got 2 stars.

Currently working on...about 90% completed. It's quite a different read now than it was when I read it back in the 80s.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, StressEater said:

One thing I really enjoy doing is going back and reading books that I read a long time ago. I like to see if my point of view has changed over the course of my life. For example, if you read a book about a character going through a difficult time like a divorce, death in the family, major illness, or job loss and you yourself have not experienced that, it is very hard to relate. However, reading the story again later in life after you have experienced that same or similar moment in life, that definitely allows you to relate to the story and see if differently. Right now I just started reading Lord of the Flies. I read it when I was a kid and I felt like I could really relate to the characters. However, now that I am an adult, I am wondering if I will see them as miscreants and wonder what ever happen to our youth. A lot like that old man who talks about back in my day kids knew how to respect their elders. 1f602.png

Did you end up liking it? I read it for the first time not too long ago, and really enjoyed it! It's absolutely full to the brim of allegories, which I love. I think the message was to think about  human beings' internal conflicts of following societal rules, acting civil and morally, versus inherent selfishness and evil. Since the characters are young boys, it sparks a whole different debate on nature versus nurture. Definitely a timeless classic with more to it than what meets the eye!

Currently reading The Alchemist. A modern classic. Halfway through. Story of a young Andalusian shepherd boy leaving home to reach the Pyramids of Giza in search of a treasure he saw in a dream. He faces obstacles on his journey that he's determined to overcome. Short read, but so far so good. :) 

18144590._SY475_.jpg

On 6/30/2020 at 8:03 PM, Gretchen27 said:

Oh, Florida! by Craig Pittman

How was this book? Florida is such an odd state. It has some of the prettiest places in the lower 48, but just a few miles from the coast, some of the most redneck parts as well. It caters heavily to Slob Tourism, and yet has some of the oldest historical places connected to the European Colonization. 

I guess one good thing about global warming is that Florida will be underwater by next century! :P

On 7/16/2020 at 8:19 AM, Mayellie said:

Did you end up liking it? I read it for the first time not too long ago, and really enjoyed it! It's absolutely full to the brim of allegories, which I love. I think the message was to think about  human beings' internal conflicts of following societal rules, acting civil and morally, versus inherent selfishness and evil. Since the characters are young boys, it sparks a whole different debate on nature versus nurture. Definitely a timeless classic with more to it than what meets the eye!

Currently reading The Alchemist. A modern classic. Halfway through. Story of a young Andalusian shepherd boy leaving home to reach the Pyramids of Giza in search of a treasure he saw in a dream. He faces obstacles on his journey that he's determined to overcome. Short read, but so far so good. :) 

Yes it was good. I read it first when I was about 12 years old. Which was very eye opening. I then ended up watching the movie when I was around 20. This time around it felt almost like a new story. My perspective was completely different. I guess I’ve changed quite a bit since the last time I read it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 8:56 AM, PerryToxteth said:

How was this book? Florida is such an odd state. It has some of the prettiest places in the lower 48, but just a few miles from the coast, some of the most redneck parts as well. It caters heavily to Slob Tourism, and yet has some of the oldest historical places connected to the European Colonization. 

I guess one good thing about global warming is that Florida will be underwater by next century! :P

I'm a Florida native, so my opinion is biased. Plus it was written by a fellow native. It's well, Florida through & through, somewhat serious with telling the history while sprinkling in the typical Florida Man stories. Some I recognize, & some even I found out there. The book was a fun read if you want to bolster your quirky trivia. & the author does bring up interesting ties to how happenings here shape what happens in the rest of the country. 

• Like 1

41vVpwflQlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I stumbled across this podcast. The guy was talking about how he committed fraud and was on the run from the Secret Service. The whole story was very interesting so I picked up his memoir. It is actually really good. If you are interested in these types of stories, you should definitely check this book out.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:59 AM, PSXtreme_ said:

The premise was intriguing. Having an "adult" version of Mystery Incorporated had me move this book to the top of the To-Read list. However, once you got into it a couple of chapters, the disappointment begin to pile up and the intrigue evaporated. The book was supposed to be taking place in 1990, but the language, mental aspects and rainbow movement overtones all spoke of today. The "ghost" of Peter was nothing more than an empty shell, Tim the dog (stupid dog name in my opinion) had only 1 real Scooby moment and the Daphne/Velma hybrid's hair had more personification and personality than any two of the full-blown characters combined. I won't even go into the Hispanic, Butch Lesbian in combat boots, who becomes the leader of the gang after she kicks an entire bar's patronage into submission, or the neurotic Shaggy-clone who had NONE of his coolness or traits.

If you are looking to relive your childhood, go buy the Cartoon Collection on DVD/Bluray.

It only got 2 stars.

Currently working on...about 90% completed. It's quite a different read now than it was when I read it back in the 80s.

Finished...4 out of 10...didn't have much original content to provide...more like atypical space-drama...definitely dated.

40788659. sy475

Started...