What are you reading?

Rankineer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cover1__w600.jpg

I finally finished The Kojima Code by Terry Wolfe.

Yep, this is a book about Kojima and his games made since 1987 to 2003. The book dives deep into Hideo's creative process, his fight for as much creative control as possible, the struggles he went through while developing his first games, his career, etc. Most of the 600 pages (in Russian) is spent analysing his works including not only the Metal Gear series, but also Snatcher and Policenaughts. Wolfe talks about the plot, the themes, the gameplay of these games, and the cultural context that surrounded them during that time. But the main focus of the book is the deep analysis of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It takes almost half of the book, and you can see how the rest of it leads into this part. There's still so much to talk about in MGS2, it's insane. Even so many years after release it's worth discussing. The part about the control of information in the digital age and how Kojima predicted the future (which is what people mainly remember when they talk about this game) is a very small part of the whole picture. Among other things, MGS2 is a deep metacommentary about the series, it's fans, the genre, and videogames in general. 

Can't recommend the book to people who are not familiar with the MGS series. But if you've played at least MGS1 and MGS2, and you want to know more about them, then definitely go for it. It certainly made me look at Kojima's works in a new way and appretiate some of them more. Also learned that Kojima is a little bit of an asshole, lol.

The next book I'm going to read is not related to games. It's American Gods by Neil Gaiman, a book I got as a present for my birthday. Never read anything from Gaiman, excited to dive in.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A1cDAxEjSbL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

The Memory of Babel by Christelle Dabos.

It's the third volume of the The Mirror Visitor quadrilogy. I think it's the first time I'm reading a French book of my own volition (I'm usually into English young adult litterature) but I've heard so many good things about these series that I told myself I had to see it for myself. Even though I read at an awfully slow pace, it doesn't mean I don't like it, it's actually one of the best books I've read these last few years. I'm still at the beginning of this third volume but it really is an interesting story. I love all the messages it gives, like the acceptance of mistakes, learning to trust yourself, y'know I relate so much to the main character, Ophelie, she's clumsy to a sick degree, she lacks self-confidence but she grows stronger along the way. Every character has a real personality and a real use to the story, there isn't a character who's left behind, not even the side characters and I really like it. I don't know how the English translation looks like since it's one of the few books I read in French (which is my primary language, also this series is French), but I totally love the writer's writing. It's a series I would recommend to anyone and everyone, obviously.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...