What are your thoughts on 'Speedruns'?

Artful

Depends, trophywise, I hate it with a passion.  However, if it's just to beat a game as fast as you can, no trophy tied to it, then go nuts.  I mean, those are interesting, but as I said, so long as no trophy is attached to it, otherwise, it does seem to take the fun out of it, at least to me it does.

• Like 4

I hate trophies that need a speed run. But seeing other people trying to finish a game as fast as possible is quite entertaining. I like to watch awesome games done quick because of that but I usually only watch games I shady played as I like to see with what tricks you can get through them so fast. I'm not really interested in speed runs off games I haven't played for the simple reason that I don't want to see spoilers and I can't really comprehend how amazing they do stuff like boss battles of i haven't fought them myself

I don't really care for doing speed runs myself outside of trophies. I watch the games done quick events sometimes but that's about it.

For trophies it depends on if the times are lenient enough. I didn't mind it in games like Resident Evil and Uncharted, but ones like in Crash Bandicoot can go to hell.

I enjoy watching some speed runs. Mainly 100% or glitchless runs, those are always fun. I'm not even crazy about watching someone else play video games but there's just something about watching someone do what I never could that's always entertaining.

120 star Mario 64 runs are definitely my favorite to watch. The level of accuracy involved is insane. Same as 100% Yoshi's Island runs. Always cool to watch.

I'm not a big fan of watching glitch runs though. Watching someone play a game with extreme skill is one thing, watching someone that mindlessly practiced a string of glitches just isn't for me.

• Like 1

Speedruns are sick.

They're my main form of entertainment on Twitch with streamers like Distortion2BubblesDelFuego and Xem92. Seeing runners completely master a game and beat it faster than you can imagine is super cool, especially when it's a game that you've beaten yourself. The neat tricks, glitches and tech that they show off are super flashy and interesting. I've actually even picked up on tactics that they use in my own gameplay, and makes for an overall good time. Watching a ton of speedruns, it got me infatuated with the idea and led me to pick up on one: Ratchet and Clank (PS4). Here's my 'first' run on it if anyone is interested, not too shabby for a first timer (currently 43rd on the leaderboards). :) 

Edited by Crazy
  • Like 1

I can appreciate the purity of purpose in speedrunning but I really suck at it. I'm at the point where I've realized I'm just a slow player, it's who I am, and while 5hrs on Resident Evil was pretty simple for me the 3hrs one still eludes me as does the 20mins on Titan Souls and the Ico speedruns. 

As others have said, I love them in terms of watching someone destroy a game in a few hours. Watching through Kingdom Hearts speedruns was absolutely amazing fun. But I echo that I hate them as trophies. It just makes me sad to see them in a trophy list. Even just time trials are stressful enough and those aren't nearly as bad as needing to play an entire game in x time for a trophy.

But speed runners are quite amazing at what they do, I'm always impressed with them when I see it. Though I prefer to see non-glitch ones. I just think it's more interesting to see people play legitimately through a game without breaking it  entirely.

I don't like to do them myself, and I don't like watching others do them, but hey if it brings you joy...

Trophies for speedruns are a sure way to make me not go for 100% completion after I finish my first story playthrough. Except maybe games with short levels, like that chameleon spy game that was on PS+ a while ago.

A lot of speedrunners who participate on Games Done Quick and other such events could probably destroy a lot of the games on this website that have trophies. Most of them don't trophy hunt, so that will probably never happen.

Greenzsaber did participate in a speed run event not too long ago and he is a trophy hunter on this website. I followed his guide on his website for getting past some of the more difficult levels in Super Meat Boy.

I'm not good enough to be on Games Done Quick, but there is no doubt these people are definitely skilled at what they do. I personally think they deserve more money for what they do because getting insanely fast runs in games like Uncharted take a huge amount of accuracy and dedication to pull off.

As far as being on the front page in fastest achievers on a particular game with trophies, that isn't nearly as hard. One easy way would be to finish the game on one account, then play it again on another account and try to land a spot on the front page. Or you can follow a guide the entire way through and rush through it. That's how I got everything done in Wolfenstein 3D in just over three hours.

I personally really enjoy watching them, I used to speedrun Ocarina Of Time myself, I find it kind of fun to mess around with glitches in video games so that's why I chose OOT, because of how broken it is xD 

You'll never see a speedrun more impressive than this one though, if you've ever played this game you'll know how insane this is:

• Like 1

Like others have said, I myself don't like to do speedruns since anything that makes me rush a game puts me on edge. But watching them can be interesting. I still remember the time I discovered you can beat Fallout 3 much faster by jumping over the Brotherhood of Steel HQ by jumping on a shirt over and over. Something similar could also be done in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with paintbrushes I believe.

I don't know. I kinda like them if they're doable. For example The Last Guardian was quite fun, or Kingdom Hearts, although the latter was way to easy. I think in the end I had about 5 spare hours left, which kinda defeats the point of a speedrun.

Also they scare me just a little. Because if I ever can't get it done and it's because of a few seconds I think I would tear out my eyes and eat them. ?

I often watch ADHQ and SGDQ speedruns, I love watching people completely own/break something. I took a few weeks to finish Skyrim's main quest, The Talos Principle too, so it was pretty amazing watching someone destroy them both in under an hour. 

It's not for me though, I'm not one for being rushed through a game, I like taking my time so a speedrun requirement pushes me way out my comfort zone. ICO's speedrun for example, while I wanted the platinum and made a few attempts, I couldn't bring myself to keep trying because I got so bored repeating the same sections. Mastering a game to that level simply isn't something I enjoy doing. 

It occurs to me that you could describe most MGSV missions as mini speedruns if the S rank is the objective. It's probably the one game I can say I completely mastered to the point where being quick wasn't an issue, but even then it was more as a result of the 300+ hours I'd put into the game rather than practice, I'd been adapting to different situations the entire game so it felt natural. Same with the Sonic 1 100%, I've been playing that game since 1991 across multiple platforms including mobile so the 40 minute speedrun wasn't an issue. So I guess I can speedrun games under specific circumstances, the circumstance being the game needs to keep me entertained long enough to put hundreds of hours in or in Sonic's case, a couple of decades to be able to do it :lol: 

I quite enjoy speedruns and accomplishing them in some of my favorite games, such as the 4th installment of the Uncharted series and its remastered originals which allowed you to speedrun the games completely. For me, speedruns are a sort of interpersonal test to see if I have mastered the mechanics, puzzles, or combat of a game. Speedruns that I watch also allow me to have a deeper understanding of how some of the mechanics in games can be used in ways that I may have not previously thought or can provide inspiration to try other methods of playing my favorite games.

In terms of watching Speedrunning, SGDQ is one of my favorite events to watch, and I find out about games that I may have never given a try in the first place. I really enjoy watching speedruns of the Resident Evil Series, or horror games like Outlast.

I'm currently gearing up to take on the speedrunning trophy in Titan Souls, and after that, I hope to speedrun "A Hat In Time" when it is released on the Ps4 itself :D 

Edited by Lawless_Llama

Personally I'm not the speedrun type, but I love to see things like Awesome games done quick on twitch or youtubers destroy games in the shortest amount of time. Yet it's sometimes depressing seeing a boss getting killed in seconds where you yourself died hours. (looking at you souls games)

I love the ones that are relatively glitchless. It shows a player has really dedicated themselves to learning the game and you can learn some very interesting strategies from them. I remember the first speed run I had seen was of Dark Souls and it completely changed my perspective of how to play the game. Initially I was in the mindset of playing with a sword and shield and blocking when attacked, waiting for my chance to reciprocate. But after watching the speedrun I completely ditched the shield and started playing with reckless abandon, rolling everywhere and the game became much more manageable. I also do like speedrun trophies so long as they are fair like with the Evil Within. 

• Like 1