I Must be Terrible

Trugo314

Bought this game on Black Friday. I knew what I was getting into. I knew it was a souls like game. I knew it was going to kick my ass. But I cannot, for the life of me, get past Onryoki. I looked up guides, I stepped back and went slower, I tried to stay calm. Despite ALL of this, when I break his chains, he destroyes me. I feel like the dodge time is SO perfect, like you only get one or two frames of invincibility. I NEED help, I want to enjoy this game. 

5 minutes ago, Trugo314 said:

Bought this game on Black Friday. I knew what I was getting into. I knew it was a souls like game. I knew it was going to kick my ass. But I cannot, for the life of me, get past Onryoki. I looked up guides, I stepped back and went slower, I tried to stay calm. Despite ALL of this, when I break his chains, he destroyes me. I feel like the dodge time is SO perfect, like you only get one or two frames of invincibility. I NEED help, I want to enjoy this game. 

If you’re having trouble with that boss wait till you get further it’ll be even more brutal. Use water on your weapons if you have and also always dodge behind him and hit his back. Been a long time since I played so I don’t remember much. 

42 minutes ago, Trugo314 said:

You and me both, I've not beaten that prick at all.  Game is now not on my system (made room so I could get FF15 back on it instead).  But yeah, I could not beat him at all x.x

41 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

If you’re having trouble with that boss wait till you get further it’ll be even more brutal. Use water on your weapons if you have and also always dodge behind him and hit his back. Been a long time since I played so I don’t remember much. 

Haha can't wait. I tried dodging behind him but he does a super quick spin move

Just one suggestion. After you beat the game for the first time focus on the Ninjitsu build if you want to get 100% for this game. With that build you will be able to beat all the difficulties without too much trouble.

Spoiler

OK, just watching that video, I'm sure I'd get my ass kicked like a hundred times. And I've played all of the Souls games. If it's anything like them, though, you can do it if you just keep practicing! I remember my first experience with Dark Souls. I just didn't get the game. My timing was off, I couldn't wrap my head around the controls, and I kept dying. But at one point, everything just clicked. If Nioh is anything like that -- and it looks that way, from what I've seen and heard -- you'll eventually slip into a state of nirvana, where you're performing the right actions on pure instinct and muscle memory. But, um, I've never played it, so the only advice I can really offer is...um, dodge his balls.

• Like 2

Because you said you played Souls game, my advice is don't play it like a Souls game. You technically can, but should not attempt to dodge through enemy's attack because how short the i-frame is, try to block it instead.

Also William runs way faster than any of the Souls guys so better just get 1, 2 quick hit and run out of enemy range.

I've beaten this game, there's a lot worse to come! You're in for a ride. But listen to me, don't give up! Don't underestimate blocking in this game. It's quite useful. Maybe try going light armor if you haven't already? The first time I played this I had trouble with this guy as well. If you think he is about to do his spin, gain distance. As the others have stated above, he is indeed weak to water.

Him being the first boss is kind of brutal as you're starting. I played the beta and had such a hard time with him but when it came to the vampire chick, she was a piece of cake to me. Same thing happened when I bought the game but those two are nothing compared to some of the things to come. I suggest leveling as much as possible and make sure you have a lot of healing items, definitely block/dodge as much as you can, take your time and try to stay behind him. Read his moves and keep trying. It's not so bad once you get the fight down to a T.

6 hours ago, skateak said:

That is the boss that was in the Beta and Alpha right? That thing kicked my ass every time. Even summoned someone and we both died often.

5 hours ago, Auralancer42 said:

Have they changed him from the beta? I didn't think he was that bad. I had more trouble with the vampire lady. 

No, the beta boss is later in the game and is called The Ogress. =) 

@Trugo314 From someone who has platinumed the game before, all the bosses are hard and the main thing is dodging, learning their moves and ki pulse. Ki pulse is when you regenerate your stamina with R1, there was a tutorial for it. Another good thing to do is summon your spirit guardian when you get low on health since they do a good amount of damage and you don't need to worry about anything during that time.

If you still need help send me a friend request and I can go through the levels which you struggle on. ^_^

Just use a spear and keep dashing and recovering ki. Don't get greedy and poke him once or twice. Throws bombs and use arrows too when you need to. This game is much faster than Dark Souls, so don't play it as if you were playing that. To make the rest of the game extremely easy just build a ninja build that's focused on kunais. Those things melt through everything. 

Best get good at fighting him, seen as the game insists on spawning him regularly towards the end. He's not so bad once you get used to him though. The only reason he's difficult the first time you fight him is because of the confined space you find yourself in. Hino Emna on the next stage is much harder. 

14 hours ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

No, the beta boss is later in the game and is called The Ogress. =) 

@Trugo314 From someone who has platinumed the game before, all the bosses are hard and the main thing is dodging, learning their moves and ki pulse. Ki pulse is when you regenerate your stamina with R1, there was a tutorial for it. Another good thing to do is summon your spirit guardian when you get low on health since they do a good amount of damage and you don't need to worry about anything during that time.

If you still need help send me a friend request and I can go through the levels which you struggle on. ^_^

From the video above, this is definitely the guy I meant here. I think the Ogress was only in the third beta, which I didn't play because I didn't have time when it was available. 

I haven't gotten around to playing the actual game, either... 

• Like 1

I don't think I like this game. Which sucks because I want to. Got past that stupid boss and now it throws me into a pitch black cave system where I can't see anything and bats knock me off cliffs and all this crap, then I fight a stupid vampire who's a whore and I can't get any attacks in because she moves too quick and then paralyzed you so you stand there like an asshole waiting to get annihilated and you can't summon anyone to help because those stupid cups are so rare. I'm giving up and selling this stupid game. 

I think it took me 20+ attempts to beat the second boss. I just went low stance and did a couple of quick slices whenever there was an opening and then dodged out of there. She only has a few attacks, so you can just power through and you'll make it eventually. 

If you can get her to half health, a living weapon can take off the other half. Just don't give up. 

On 12/11/2017 at 1:49 AM, ThatMuttGuy said:

I think it took me 20+ attempts to beat the second boss. I just went low stance and did a couple of quick slices whenever there was an opening and then dodged out of there. She only has a few attacks, so you can just power through and you'll make it eventually. 

If you can get her to half health, a living weapon can take off the other half. Just don't give up. 

Haaaaahahaha after 57 attempts and a wasted afternoon I gave up haaahahahahaaha