Post your newest 100%

Aexuz

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

PS4

There’s been a lot of boosting sessions for the DLC Multiplayer- Blackbeard’s Wraith. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Freedom Cry missions too. Highly recommend this game to get 100% completion.  Good MP community too

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lef6c16.png

PS4 - EU

I quite liked Never Alone; it's a charming little game.  Nice and easy, though the platforming controls could be awkward at times.  There was no need to use a guide initially - by the time I'd completed the main story, I had 14 of the 15 base trophies and had only missed 2 collectibles, which were easily picked up via chapter select post-game.

The DLC was a very quick affair, with only a couple of collectibles to grab along the way.  Took me a little while to defeat the boss at the end, but it was nothing troublesome.

Edited by StewartBros
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

L5d1d91.png

TWISTED METAL: BLACK

I hadn't played this game since it was originally on the PS2 almost 20 years ago.  Despite my being a big Twisted Metal fan - I even managed to platinum the PS3 game, with all its infamous online glitches - this game just sat in my backlog for several years, until I finally decided to just knock it out for a quick 100% and a blast of nostalgia.

The EU version of TM Black is very heavily censored.  All cutscenes relating to each character's story have been removed; the plane that could originally be shot down in Stage 1 to unlock a secret area is already down, and thus the secret area is already unlocked; the animations of burning drivers running out of their destroyed cars has been removed (if memory serves, in the PS2 game you could run over these drivers to regain a little health); and there are probably a couple of other missing details that escape my memory just now.

Once I was finished, I just watched all the character stories on YouTube so I could see them, since they were removed from the game.  I'd forgotten how dark and violent many of them were.  The graphics were nothing outstanding, but then, this was a very early PS2 game.

The only part of this game that I had trouble with was grabbing the black cube on the Suburbs level; this requires you to practically use platforming skills to get your car across a series of rooftops without driving or skidding over the edges and back onto the ground.  The driving controls are not precise enough for this kind of thing, so it took me more attempts than I care to admit, but I got it in the end.

• Like 3

I have been meaning to get back to that collection for the longest time. I got it when it was finally on a $5 sale (it was a really expensive collection at one point) and I remember enjoying what I played of it. Going back over the collection, the two games that would give me the most trouble would be Ghosts n' Goblins (never was good at this one) and Higemaru (as I've never played it at all). The rest of them I have some experience with and they run the gamut between annoying and manageable with some determination. It's a pretty good collection, actually.

Now if the newer collection reaches a reasonable price, we'll talk about that one too. Although I was reading the trophy list is technically possible with just the free content.

Edit: Rereading this, I want to add that I'm not suggesting that it'll be easy. Far from it. More that I'm very interested in trying if for no other reason than it's a good collection. The two games I pointed out are basically new to me and it's always nice spending time with an arcade game I missed way back when. We'll see how it all pans out.

Edited by Jelly Soup

• 2 weeks later...

100%

Turok

L0e5aa3.png

This was a fun little nostalgia trip. I'm pretty sure I got nowhere close to finishing this as a kid on the N64. I remember a lot of starting and re-starting that game over and over and never truly understanding what I was playing or what I was doing. So completing it all these years later and getting some trophies out of it feels pretty good. Definitely never realized how many hidden secrets there are (which is a trophy you need to get), it's definitely classic hidden areas that you'd only find by word of mouth from a friend or accidentally stumbling upon it in a fit of pure blind luck (no Youtube back in 1997) as it's like hidden door ways behind walls that give no indication that it's there. Fun game though...I have the 2nd one as well to play at some point. 

• Like 1

Dark Mystery - AVOID THIS GAME!

I only picked this up because it was really cheap on sale thinking it’d be an easy 100% and whilst it was very easy, the mechanics are terrible. A standard double jump doesn’t get you anywhere. You have to quickly tap the ‘X’ button twice to get some height. The hit boxes on the character are terrible like sometimes you’d be nowhere near the traps and suddenly you’re dead ? some bits can be frustrating but overall an easy not very enjoyable 100% platformer

L691ae0.png

WWE 2K Battlegrounds

The first WWE game I've ever managed to 100% and it doesn't even have a platinum. Generally enjoyed my time with the game but I can see why people have problems with it. Locking most of the roster behind currency that you either have to grind for or pay to unlock is a dick move and the limited nature of the customisation is a turn off for me. If it had been F2P, it would have been a different story but that aside, I found the gameplay loop to be fun enough to pass the time.

The worst game that we've ever got on PS Plus? Nah, can't agree with that statement in any way.

• Like 1

- 100% Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden w/ Seed of Evil DLC -

Lb9019f.png

Difficulty - 3 / 10

Enjoyment - 8 / 10

(After completing my first run of the base game, I decided to turn my attention to the DLC using the characters I had just leveled up. The Seed of Evil is just an expansion on the main story really, it adds a bunch of new zones to visit of which newer forms of enemies are too. If you enjoyed the game then definitely get the DLC as it's more of what you enjoyed or find yourself a copy of the deluxe edition that has expansion burned on the disk, which is always nice! ?

Once I had wrapped up the normal runs of both the game and it's DLC, I finally set out on the grueling task of perma-death runs known as 'Iron Mutant Mode', it was challenging at times but thankfully overall nowhere near as bad as I first thought. Ta-da! All done and dusted, platinum and Seed of Evil 100% ?)

- 100% Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands W/ All Downloadable Packs -

L27595e.png

Difficulty - 2 / 10

Enjoyment - 6.5 / 10

(Platinumed the base game and had to take some time away as it just went on waaaay too long! ? I finally returned for the DLC, of which I already purchased in a sale before starting the game. I would have to say that based on my experiences with both the Narco Road and Fallen Ghost expansions, I probably wouldn't bother with the first DLC as it was quite boring at times but the second pack wasn't as bad. It's personal preference really, if you got a coop buddy then you'll do it all a lot faster then I did solo.)

• Like 3

Rage 2 100%

It's an Ok game. The shoting mecahnics are so fun, but only when you get all the weapons and abilities. I recommend to look for a map to find the arks, and play your first plyathrough on hard. I had fun, but at the end it's a forgetable game

• Like 1

WWE 2K Battlegrounds

L691ae0.png

The best way I can think of to describe this game, is to paraphrase a promo by one of the wrestlers featured in the game, Roman Reigns. I remember a very long winded promo delivered by him, but about him - "not being a good guy, not being a bad guy, I'm the guy" well in this games case it's "not a bad game, it's not a good game, it's just a game."

I went into this game with a very open mind, but I'm scratching my head trying to think of who the target audience actually is for this game. This game is a strange dichotomy indeed. There are elements of it that would really appeal to long time wrestling fans, (Legends, alternative and niche costumes,to name but a few),but there are equal parts things that would make them turn away in disgust. (Well probably not, that would be a bit extreme, but you know where I was going with that.) I would love to know if "Stone Cold" Steve Austin has any idea how his likeness was used in this game, I mean it is so unlike his actual wrestling persona, it's almost insulting. This game is just so bizarre, I strongly suspect, as others do, that this game was originally going to be a free to play game, that ended up being a rushed retail release on account of WWE 2K21 being cancelled due to its predecessors incredibly poor reception.

Plenty of people will have gotten this with the July 2021 PS+ offerings, I did too, technically at least, but I also bought this months ago bundled with WWE 2K20 so I felt like I had to at least try and get the 100% in the Campaign mode, to at least feel like I'd gotten my moneys worth.

So let's discuss the campaign mode a little bit, or what the game constitutes as a story. I never usually mention plot points, in case of spoilers but unless you've recently had a pneumatic drill pushed straight into your brain, and needed to understand something really simple, I don't think you have to worry about spoilers. When I reviewed WWE 2K20, I remember being incredibly scathing about  its MyCareer story mode, this atrocity, makes that games story seem like a newly found work by Charles Dickens or any other literary great you might chose to fill that blank with. They couldn't even be bothered to put any voice-overs or video packages into the story mode - all they seemed to be able to muster were some comic style panels, featuring the wrestlers and which often look very little like their real life counterparts, even taking into account the game itself is overtly cartoonish, from a visual standpoint. The story itself, just felt like it might have been written by aliens from the planet Flarg, that have infiltrated our society and become wrestling video game writers, after watching a particularly bad episode of Raw from 1995, featuring a wrestling Bin-Man. Yes, that actually happened, look up Duke "The Dumpster" Droese if you wanted to see how that particular experiment turned out.

WWE All Stars, which was released all  the way back in 2011 on the PS3 and Xbox 360 managed to have those - and is an altogether better game than this is. The story itself, consists of several new recruits fighting in a new WWE style system called Battlegrounds, you essentially get every character to Wrestlemania and then you complete the matches at Wrestlemania, then you are done. The game does at least have a few side paths where you can unlock a few wrestlers and creation options, but these also offer no extra bits of story, or new information to gleam, it's just there to unlock a few additional things. This is where you will ultimately, spend the bulk of your time with the game, at least if you are playing it solely for the trophies.

Visually, this game honestly wouldn't look out of place on a PS2, but then saying that, the wrestling games released on PS2 also look better than this. You can't excuse objectively terrible visual design and just view it as "cartoonish and whacky" like I think the developers would have you believe - Daedalic Entertainment, employ a very cartoonish art style in many of their games, and those games are often incredibly visually appealing, so why couldn't the effort have been made here, to make things look good. As I mentioned previously, WWE All Stars also has an incredibly bombastic and unreal art style, which in that games case was achieved really well, all the wrestlers just looked like very stylised versions of themselves, just turned up to eleven. In this games case, they all basically look identical, the body proportions are basically all the same, just with different heads and wrestling gear on. 

The game does have a halfway decent soundtrack though, in the sense that all of the different areas of the game feel distinctly different, so there are a few positives to be gleamed. The sound design itself, is at least quite well made too, the sound effects themselves are quite satisfying when you hit a string of moves and then hit your finisher you are often greeted with a big cacophony of noise, which in a game that seems to pride itself on chaos is actually a good thing.

This game does mercifully at least have fairly enjoyable gameplay. It's overly simplistic yes, but it is quite enjoyable once you start to actually get to grips with it. One thing I was really grateful for, was that in the campaign mode each of the wrestlers that you play as at least has their own fairly distinct style, so you never get stuck doing the exact type of gameplay for too long. I thought, the fact that you can parry strikes in this game, similar to how you can in action games where it affords you a second or two of opportunity to riposte and get in some damage was a nice addition, once you start to master those, a lot of elements of the game become quite a bit easier. I think the actual fighting, probably could have done with a little more fluidity, a lot of the moves feel very singular - considering this game is more inclined towards the fighting aspect, you'd think it would be easier to chain moves and combo's together a bit better. Another thing that WWE All Stars did better. 

Everything is just a little too bare-bones. I don't think I'd level this criticism at the game if it was free from launch (which it probably should be), but this at one point cost actual money, there should have been much more effort into the game having some sort of re-playability, because it really doesn't. There were lot's of characters I would have liked to have played as, but those are all locked behind in game purchases or the dreaded micro-transactions, so unless I wanted to spend hours, re-doing the campaign to unlock one person it's better to just move on. I could just go back and play WWE All Stars, which didn't hide content behind a paywall. 

The trophies in this game don't take long though, you're looking at 8-10 hours if you only go through the main path of the campaign, probably less to be perfectly honest - and you'll more than likely unlock the majority of the trophies anyway just by playing through the campaign mode. I'm not too sure why this game doesn't have a platinum, I'm not overly bothered either. I'm not going to not play a game because it does, or doesn't have a platinum. But there certainly is enough content here for one, although it's probably better that it doesn't, because it might have a horrendous trophy requirement, like "Complete all of Battleground Challenge" which is a mode exclusive to created wrestlers and didn't seem remotely appealing. They do have some decent challenge though, I had to retry the trophy for winning the Royal Rumble several times, just because the A.I seemed to just go crazy targetting  me like I was a flower and they were a swarm of bees.

Would I recommend this? Well, under certain circumstances, sure. It really isn't a dreadful game or anything, but if you expected it be like any other wrestling game you might have played before, it won't be. If you are lucky enough to have gotten it for free, there is no harm in at least trying it. It isn't very long, so even if you felt like you had to force yourself to finish it, you wouldn't be spending too much time with it, so it can't hurt to try. I would have played this anyway, as I would have felt like I had a gap n my collection of WWE games if I didn't. Unfortunate. I can't hide the fact, that I don't feel like the money I paid for this game, was money well spent, even though it wasn't all that much. I'm sure if I had gotten it via PS+ I probably would have had at least a slightly more optimistic outlook, but I really don't know. As a wrestling fan, this definitely does leave a lot to be desired - and I just can't stop thinking, that it could have been so much more. I mentioned WWE All Stars a lot during this review, but that game, is this game, but done right - yet also done nine years previously, so I don't think it's an unfair comparison.

• Like 1

? No. 600

L182a85.png

The Pedestrian

Flat-plane, simplistic puzzle platformers have come in all shapes and sizes pretty much since the invention of videogames as a medium. It's a genre that allows for a near infinite level of puzzle variation and mechanics, yet, as a result of the minimalistic input requirements and relative simplicity of interface, it is, at this stage, both a pretty saturated market and a thoroughly tapped well.
It can, at times, seem a difficult genre in which a game can really stand out, and some games - even ones featuring very good, well crafted puzzles - can meld into the amorphous blob of barely-remembered games awfully quickly.

The Pedestrian, from first time developer Skookum Arts, happily, will not.

A short game, primarily operating in the 2D plane for its puzzles, The Pedestrian  may have relatively few - if any - genuinely unique singular puzzle mechanics, however, it has two major things going for it in the 'originality' stakes:

Firstly, the combination of mechanics. While no one could argue that 'jigsaw' style construction of level 'pieces', or mechanical levers controlling lasers, or box pushing/pulling, or 'door & key' type mechanics are original on their own, even as a self proclaimed puzzle-game enthusiast, I cannot recall a game that used them in such consistently satisfying combination. Essentially, the game comprises 2 distinct sections to each puzzle - the construction of the puzzle, and the solving of it. Each one features jigsaw style pieces of level, with doors / ladders as connection 'nodes' which can be moved and connected to one another in a variety of ways. The gameplay loop involves first crafting the level into a solvable manner using these jigsaw pieces and connectable thoroughfares, then actually solving the individual puzzle or puzzles within that crafted level. Its a duel-engagement that gives each overall puzzle an atypically multi-dimensional flavour for the 2D genre the game plays in.

Secondly, the artistic package - and this is where the game really stands out from its 2D peers. While the actual puzzles are in 2D, they are presented as interactive signposts in a fully rendered 3D environment. Between each puzzle, as the stickman protagonist walks between signposts, the camera pans across a city environment that is both nice to look at, and absurdly well detailed, given that it is essentially window dressing. 

95% of The Pedestrian's puzzles would work perfectly well as discrete, 2D-only puzzles, with each simply fading to black and switching to the next one, and so it is fascinating to see the level of artistry that has gone into rendering the background environments, camera movements and contextualisation of the puzzle elements within a realised environment. 

(Note - I say 95%, and not 100%, because of a turn the game takes near the end. I will not spoil it here, but suffice to say, it is surprising, very clever and interesting - and did make me exclaim "Holy Shit" to an empty room. While this game never reaches the heights of The Witness and its "Oh my God" moment (very few games do), I think that moment at least places The Pedestrian in the same category as that game, as opposed to, say, that of Hue or Dokuro.)

The game does an excellent job of progressing mechanics and encouraging learning without actively tutorialising. Where a mechanic becomes possible, but not mandatory in one puzzle, it will become necessary several puzzles later, and then become a subversible mechanic several puzzles after that, without the player ever really feeling like they were 'taught' that element directly. That is both hard to do, and extremely impressive when executed well.

The progression of puzzle complexity is also fair and smooth - where early puzzle objectives are simply to progress to an exit, later, puzzles become less about simple escape, and more about escaping with specific puzzle objects in hand, adding a complexity and cleverness to the routine required to be crafted and traversed. Single-screen puzzles give way to multi-screen ones, requiring multiple items to be gathered to solve a central puzzle, from which many others stem out like spokes.

The game looks great - the 3D environment looks good, and peculiarly well detailed, and the 2D sign-post puzzles have both variety and a verisimilitude, the protagonist moving within them with a satisfying smoothness. Music in the game is pleasant and non-distracting, if a little bit milquetoast coffee-house.

The Pedestrian is a fairly short game - around 40 puzzles total - but rarely repeats a gimmick, walks an excellent tightrope of mild-challenge and satisfaction, and carries itself with a confidence and flair that few puzzle games manage, towards a twist that is surprising, and very clever.

(Review originally posted HERE)

• Like 4