Guide of the Year Awards 2017 - Nomination Thread

Dragon-Archon

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash as it is the only guide I have used that was written this year and it was actually very informative and helpful. I did have a bit of trouble with 1 of the trophies but that was my fault for reading the guide wrong not the authors. There are other guides that are very well written but as i have only read then and not used them (not had a chance to play said games) I cannot vote for them.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

I'd like to have the pleasure of nominating the Dragon Quest Builders guide that was written by Matrim_Drasgen! The reasons for my nomination are as follows:

• The guide is incredibly well-written and detailed.
  • The guide very easy to read and could understand everything within it.
  • The guide as a whole has a personal touch feeling as they provide tips and advice based on what they experienced in their platinum journey.
  • The guide was detailed and descriptive enough that I didn't have to search for any other information on any other site.
  • The guide has several forms of help (text, tables) which is really helpful especially for someone like me (my brains like mush when it comes to remembering anything :P).

Good luck to everyone who has written guides this year! They are all amazing and you've all done an incredible job with them! :D 

Edited by Pikachu

Since I'm officially allowed to nominate this year, I'll throw in a nomination for The Witness Trophy Guide.

The guide does an incredible job of offering a huge amount of detail while at the same time encouraging the reader to use that information bit by bit, so the gaming experience won't be spoiled. GonzoWARgasm manages this balancing act flawlessly. Through clever use of spoiler tags, the readers can unveil individual steps when they are stuck. Of course trophy guides are first and foremost a tool to obtain trophies as quickly and easily as possible, but it is nice to see that some authors don't forget the gaming experience and atmosphere behind all this. Doing such a great job of preserving said experience while simultaneously offering such an amount of detail deserves some recognition. Oh, and I like the formatting as well. :P

• Like 1

First of all, thank you to @PixelatedPortal for sorting out the list of all the guides in the OP! That can't of been an easy task to do, therefore on behalf of the guide writing community, our sincerest thanks!

As for my nomination, I'm going to have to go with the My Name is Mayo Trophy Guide, written by @Maxie Mouse. I got into this game super late, so even though I had heard all of the hype, I had no idea what was behind all of that. After I finally got the game, I still had no idea what to expect. This all probably sounds really dumb haha. I knew it was an easy Platinum but I still had no idea how to achieve it. This guide helped clarify a lot of my confusions towards this game for me and also earned me a new, shiny Platinum Trophy by the half hour! So thank you, Max, for blessing PSNP with your wonderful and extremely informative guide.

Edited by ddracarys
  • Like 2

Ok I read every guide, yes all, I am a speed reader.

I don't know if I can nominate more than 1 guide, but I will do so.

If I can only have 1 guide nominated, then my first choice listed is the default choice.

I nominate four people based on four criteria: something difficult, something easy, someone new, and something nobody will ever play.

1. Something Difficult & Lengthy

Yakuza 0 Trophy Guide by @Undead Wolf. I am not nominating this guide just because he covered a long and hard ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  game. I have read and looked at many guides that covered difficult and lengthy games (open world, Rpgs, etc.), and none of them have this level of detail and explanations. The maps, the fighting strategies, the quest lines, the mini-game guides (so many!), and the explanations to avoid missing trophies are all amazing. @Undead Wolf also did another Yakuza 0 trophy guide covering friendship and substory plots in the game and he also collaborated with the Persona 5 guide. He is worthy to be called a True Son of PSNP (for 2017 at least lol).

Discalimer: I cast this vote on my own accord. I am not friends with @Undead Wolf (Would be nice tho lol), or am doing him a favor. I cast this nomination 100% incorruptible >:)

2. Something Easy

My Name is Mayo Trophy Guide by @Maxie Mouse. Look, this is a horrible game and anyone who has or will play this game lost their humanity a long time ago. This guide accomplishes the one thing it is set out to do: Plat this game as quickly as possible so you can immediately delete it from your hard drive, then go sit on the shower floor in the fetal position and have the cold water rain down on you.

3. Someone New

Hellblade:Senua's Sacrifice by @ddracarys First trophy guide for an aspiring writer. Covers the Rot system problem that many players were confused about and any glitches that might occur so you are prepared. Gives proper explanations on what you need to do in the story and easy to understand combat tips. Because it's your first guide, I am going to criticize you in front of everyone here :P Nothing against PowerPyx, but I don't want you depending on him, in my opinion, write your own collectible guide with your own hands. Own it.

4. Something Nobody will Ever Play

Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends Trophy Guide by @Thropy_Croissant. Look, this is a game no one wanted or asked for. A game that is going to be free for December 2017 PS+. Everyone is salty and with good reason. Despite this, she played and wrote a guide to this...game. This game requires a lot of online boosting and we all LOVE online boosting amrite? Anyways, she shows you the most efficient way to boost so you can overcome this torture of a game. Also since it's a fighting game with several characters, the author gives you tips on how to utilize each character. The warning about how the game saves is a godsend. This is a frustrating game and the guide accomplishes its primary goal: To make it as less of a hassle than it could be.

Edited by Primeape
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Primeape said:

Ok I read every guide, yes all, I am a speed reader.

I don't know if I can nominate more than 1 guide, but I will do so.

Quoted from the OP:

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

When nominating a guide, you are required to give solid reasons for your choice. Nominations without solid reasons won't count. Each member can only nominate 1 guide and once your nomination has been added to this post, you can't change it anymore. Nominations will be added to this post at the end of the day.

• Like 1

My vote would go the Yakuza Ishin Guide. I was debating between whether to vote for this or the Yakuza 0 that’s already gotten a few well deserved nominations. Writing a guide for a Yakuza game is what i can only describe as a hellish task due to the sheer amount of information required. 

The Ishin guide has the flaw of relying on khhsubs.com as a source of information a lot but i find that forgiveable considering that the game itself is all in japanese. Writing a guide for a non-english game like this is a different beast entirely. Rather than simply breaking down the best way to get each trophy the writer also has to act as a translator and a general source of information on the game in general in order to accurately guide the player. This is where the guide really shines in my opinion, as its roadmap is extremely helpful in letting the player know what they should be working towards right now. It relieves a lot of the stress that otherwise comes with completing a game such as Yakuza Ishin, where it’s very easy to lose track of one of the fifty checklists you’re supposed to be completing right now. 

It also essentially gave me the courage to start playing the game in the first place which is probably the best thing a guide could hope to accomplish.

Edited by Happy

I will nominate for Hakuoki: Kyoto WindsThe guide is a complete rundown of how you can get the platinum without spoiling you, in a simple, down to the point and concise way and it was specially helpful because this VN has 12 routes, some way more obscure than others saving me sooooo much of the trial and error to get all the endings.

• Like 1

Added the nominations up to this post to the OP.

4 hours ago, Caldor2K2 said:

Sorry for the silly question here, but how long to nominate? Is it today only or do we have a while longer?

There are just so many guides and I've only looked at a few and would hate to nominate that way. 1f642.png

This thread stays open for 2 weeks.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

As a psuedo-rebel who marches to the beat of his own drum?  I'm going to go with something obscure that probably isn't going to get any other votes and nominate the Tharsis Trophy Guide.

It's a work of loving beauty -- it probably takes longer to read than some rounds of Tharsis take to play.  It's exquisitely detailed and helps to take some of the mystery out of a game that is often challenging and intimidating.  It's chock full of table-y and illustration-y delight and has an extraordinarily helpful YouTube video embedded for good measure.

I spent a fair amount of time and effort agonizing over the game before this guide came out.  Once it did, and I read it and watched the embedded video?  I started having more success fighting my way through this title almost immediately.

• Like 1

I would like to nominate this guide for Persona 5 by Undead_Wolf_N7, A-Brawl3r, Dragon-Archon and Mah2c . It is extremely well detailed, written exceptionally and easy to read. The boss strategies are easy to replicate and is chocked full of tips & strategies for the game itself. The game is also quite complicated, and the guide helped remove some of the confusion.

Edited by rotoninja
  • Like 3

I would like to vote for the Yakuza 0 guide by Undead Wolf. The amount of work involved is something that looks like more than one person worked on. Everything is very detailed and despite the game itself feeling overwhelming (at least for me), the guide helped me understand things a lot better and what to do during certain parts. Then there's also the mini-games and other side stuff like pocket racing that it helps out with. I can also appreciate the fact he made his own videos for the trophies and made a sub-story guide for the best choices to make during them.

• Like 1

Well, let's do it. 

Even though I had to fix some things :awesome:, P5 guide is the one that deserves the win this year. Especially because of how helpful it is and will be helpful to players that do not have experience with previous Persona games, plus, offers boss strategies which is usually what helps the most. It also includes strategies to make the game easier (Yoshi, ultimate gears, ...). You can see the work spent on polishing it just from reading it once. And all the guys deserve the prize.

Also because it's a weeb game and weeb game has to win :awesome: 

And because I personally checked it :awesome:

EDIT: For completeness, the P5 guide in question is 5919 one.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 3

My vote goes to the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim guide for the PS4. Those of us who are not familiar with the game can find an extremely detailed guide that will help us get all the trophies. Seriously! Every trophy description is extremely detailed and easy to read and contains no useless or unnecessary information. Two thumbs up.

Nomination goes to @Thropy_Croissant for his KFP guide. I spent several hours helping him boost the PS4 stack – hence the game is 0% on my profile – but I know the game inside & out because of him.

• Author went to the trouble of creating his own homemade YouTube videos specifically to supplement his guide. So he clearly didn’t half-ass the guide, which is appreciated.

• Roadmap is logical & succinct, which is exceptionally rare to see. I hate when guides do dumb shit like put "Online Trophies" as the last step – that's how you end up with an unobtainable game on your profile stuck at 90% completion. A roadmap is the backbone of every trophy guide, so every roadmap ought to strive to be as well-structured as this one.

• While all trophy guides are appreciated, only the greatest of leaders will pioneer trophy guides for obscure games with only a couple thousand owners. This game barely has 2,000 owners, which proves that the author's driving motive is NOT popularity/recognition, but rather a fundamental passion for helping people earn trophies. We need guides like this to be recognized & appreciated to encourage more similar ventures into obscurity. It's guaranteed that Far Cry 5 will have a trophy guide within a couple days; meanwhile, we don't even know if there'll be a KFP 2.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, let's do it. 

Even though I had to fix some things :awesome:, P5 guide is the one that deserves the win this year. Especially because of how helpful it is and will be helpful to players that do not have experience with previous Persona games, plus, offers boss strategies which is usually what helps the most. It also includes strategies to make the game easier (Yoshi, ultimate gears, ...). You can see the work spent on polishing it just from reading it once. And all the guys deserve the prize.

Also because it's a weeb game and weeb game has to win :awesome: 

And because I personally checked it :awesome:

Since there are 2 P5 guides, could you please add a link to the guide to avoid misunderstandings.

4 hours ago, Thropy_Hore said:

Nomination goes to @Thropy_Croissant for his KFP guide. I spent several hours helping him boost the PS4 stack – hence the game is 0% on my profile – but I know the game inside & out because of him.

• Author went to the trouble of creating his own homemade YouTube videos specifically to supplement his guide. So he clearly didn’t half-ass the guide, which is appreciated.

• Roadmap is logical & succinct, which is exceptionally rare to see. I hate when guides do dumb shit like put "Online Trophies" as the last step – that's how you end up with an unobtainable game on your profile stuck at 90% completion. A roadmap is the backbone of every trophy guide, so every roadmap ought to strive to be as well-structured as this one.

• While all trophy guides are appreciated, only the greatest of leaders will pioneer trophy guides for obscure games with only a couple thousand owners. This game barely has 2,000 owners, which proves that the author's driving motive is NOT popularity/recognition, but rather a fundamental passion for helping people earn trophies. We need guides like this to be recognized & appreciated to encourage more similar ventures into obscurity. It's guaranteed that Far Cry 5 will have a trophy guide within a couple days; meanwhile, we don't even know if there'll be a KFP 2.

She went the extra mile, even for a crap obscure semi-decent game, nice :)

I'm going to eat some rice and fight the neighborhood dogs with bamboo sticks in honor of this trophy guide.

Edited by Primeape
  • Like 1