Guide of the Year Awards 2017 - Nomination Thread

Dragon-Archon

I just want to thank everyone who has said some very kind things towards me and/or given your nomination to one of the guides I've written this year. It makes me very happy to see people benefited in some way from them. :)

As for my nomination, I've been thinking it over for the past week or so and I finally decided on the Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Trophy Guide since it hasn't been mentioned yet. I haven't played the game yet, but after reading through it, I feel like I have a very good grasp on what needs to be done to get the platinum. It's extremely detailed but not overwhelmingly so thanks to the layout. It seems to have all the information you could ever ask for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

I just want to thank everyone who has said some very kind things towards me and/or given your nomination to one of the guides I've written this year. It makes me very happy to see people benefited in some way from them. :)

As for my nomination, I've been thinking it over for the past week or so and I finally decided on the Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Trophy Guide since it hasn't been mentioned yet. I haven't played the game yet, but after reading through it, I feel like I have a very good grasp on what needs to be done to get the platinum. It's extremely detailed but not overwhelmingly so thanks to the layout. It seems to have all the information you could ever ask for.

It's a Wolfe year my friend, don't forget our appointment for kingdom hearts 3 next year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lagoon Aris said:

Hm, it's really a tough decision. I'm unsure between exactly two guides and after thinking all week long I'm still not certain whom to chose. In the end, I decided to give my vote to the Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance Guide. So far it was the only guide I really used a lot and earned the plat by using it (from the eligible guides this year). It really is a great guide that helped quite a lot and made going for the plat a lot easier as if I had to look up stuff by myself.

Unfortunately, since we only can vote for one guide, I give my honorary mention to the Danganronpa V3 guide. Currently I'm taking a break from the game but the guide already helped a lot and will certainly do so in the future, but since I didn't get the plat yet to fully judge this guide, I decided to give my vote to KH:3D

Thanks for the support. I'll be sure to make the KH3 guide next year even better :D!

• Like 1

I would like to nominate the Evil Within 2 guide for the main game trophies and the collectibles guide which I used because I could not find anything website wise that was a guide for all the collectibles for each chapter which saved me so much time and effort. The guide was made by @lothym and I would to thank him for the guide, it helped out immensely.

Congratulations one more time to this community, as we have had another great year of high-quality guides. The library keeps growing more and more extensive and it all looks so slick one simply can't help but love how guides work!

I admittedly have not used guides too much this year, mainly because I haven't played much that required a guide, but I did have some use of the trophy guide for Persona 5 and I cannot deny how useful and well written it is, so I am nominating that one for Guide of the Year. If only I had used it sooner! I wouldn't have missed a Mementos request, which resulted in me having to repeat a small portion of the game :lol: 

In any case, props to each and every guide writer in here, you are all doing amazing! :yay:

• Like 3

I would like to nominatate The Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends trophy guide by Thropy_Croissant. 

1. Even though, I did the crazy online grinding legit, his method WILL save countless hours of extra boredom and without it less people would be earning the platinum.

2. He has stated your online wins aren't automatically recorded because of no type of auto-save feature. Say if you had grinded 100 wins in one session and then the game crashed, your data can become lost and that would be a shame. So, he has a foolproof method of saving by going into the options menu and when you change any setting it will initiate a save and you can see it via a saving icon on your screen. 

3. He has tips for the characters you have to use in Tournament of Legends that help tremendously. People are struggling on this tournament even on the easiest difficulty. You have to win the tournament with 20 different characters and there is only 20 non-dlc characters. Some of the characters are down right awful and you even have to partake in a 1 on 3 match and be at a huge disadvantage. Thropy_Croissant points out pointers and also states that there are two free DLC characters, that you can use and substitute and use for 2 out of the 20 needed to get the trophy for winning the Tournament of Legends with 20 different characters. That is a HUGE tip to anyone who is struggling to win with a character or two. 

This game is not a well-known game. It doesn't have a pretty face like other games do, but Thropy dedicated his time and gave back to the community of trophy hunters on a game of this nature. It is organized well, well-written, and coherent. 

I would like to thank him personally for making this guide, because I wasn't even expecting one at all, and for it to be awesome at that. Please give this some thought because this guide definitely deserves recognition. 

Edited by HesterKRGod

Updated the OP up to this post with the exception of these 2 nominations:

On 10-12-2017 at 10:46 PM, DrEvilGuapo said:

I nominate the Nier: Automata guide.

You need to give solid reasons too.

On 11-12-2017 at 4:38 PM, AydenBonnette said:

I would like to nominate the Evil Within 2 guide for the main game trophies and the collectibles guide which I used because I could not find anything website wise that was a guide for all the collectibles for each chapter which saved me so much time and effort. The guide was made by @lothym and I would to thank him for the guide, it helped out immensely.

You can only nominate 1 guide.

On 11-12-2017 at 3:33 AM, NCSFan001 said:

Im going to nominate horizon zero dawn's main game guide https://psnprofiles.com/guide/5810-horizon-zero-dawn-trophy-guide by @Official-ME- @snowprolegend and @ThaKingTropy

very detailed for a long game and quite helpful and well written, plus an amazing game itself

That last part should not be taken into consideration when nominating a guide.

On 10-12-2017 at 11:36 PM, darkamdusias said:

I would like to nominate the Final Fantasy XII trophy guide by @M-A-D-R-O-K. The game is HUGE and the trophy list is extensive, but M-A-D-R-O-K did a phenomenal job with it. It's easily one of the best written trophy guides I've ever seen.

Could you please elaborate a bit on this. The reasons given for the guide are a bit too generic. 

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Could you please elaborate a bit on this. The reasons given for the guide are a bit too generic. 

Of course. The games various side quests, puzzles, and extras are fleshed out in a ton of detail. It is crammed full of helpful maps, lists the game's entire bestiary, and has a number of useful tips about how what would have otherwise been a 100+ hour Platinum can be tackled in ~60 hours. 

I can't believe Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends made it on PS+ glad for us it's making this platinum even rarer.
It's awesome to have someone that did a guide already for such a small and unknown game, it deserves something! The guide is great and perfect for ultra-rare hunters!
It is well done, easy to understand, important tips and all the necessary information. All the button input is well done, the format is perfect and he even did some videos!

Has someone who love hidden gems and indie games! My vote goes to 
Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends trophy guide by @Trophy_Croissant

I have to go with the Kingdom Hearts; ReChain of Memories trophy guide. Bare in mind that I got KH 1.5 + 2.5 for the PS4 on Tuesday this week and haven't gotten to the game yet. But if I need help with trophies for that game, then I'll go to that guide so it has my vote.

I vote for Tales of Berseria Trophy Guide by AppleKratue. I found this guide immensely helpful in getting my Tales of Berseria Platinum and I had consulted it almost every time I played the game.

• How helpful was the guide? Extremely. Each trophy and how to get it in the easiest and quickest way possible is written in great detail. The best time to get attempt the trophy (first or second playthrough etc.), details of relevant trophy related side quests and tips were all given, making my platinum journey a smooth endeavour without getting stuck.  I found the mystic artes trophy, shattered soul, grade farming tips and A Solid B trophies from this guide to be particularly useful as those were the ones that needed quite a bit of attention. 
  • Was it written in a way that was easy to understand? Yes, very easy. Nothing that I couldn't understand or had difficulty with. It was all very clear. 
  • Was the amount of information enough to obtain all the trophies or did you need to search for information yourself on another site? The amount of information was adequate. I used Japanese sites myself for items, maps, artes etc as I played the Japanese version of the game, but for the English version this guide is more than enough. 
  • Has the guide been updated with relevant information about patches (or DLCs) in case these were released? N/A

I know this bit doesn't count, but as far as Tales series guides go, AppleKratue is indeed fantastic and her numerous Tales guides have helped my Plat a bunch of Tales games so far. ToB was a long and grindy plat, but her guide made it very easy to do. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...