What's your best/worst gaming purchase of 2017?

kidson2004

I'll start:

Best: Tie between Overwatch GOTY for $30 and The Witcher 3 Complete Edition (on sale a few months ago, but forgot the price)

Worst: NBA 2K18 (PS3) don't know what I was thinking, but hey, I got close to what I paid for when I sold it online :D

How about you? :hmm:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

I'll start:

Best: Tie between Overwatch GOTY for $30 and The Witcher 3 Complete Edition (on sale a few months ago, but forgot the price)

Worst: NBA 2K18 (PS3) don't know what I was thinking, but hey, I got close to what I paid for when I sold it online :D

How about you? :hmm:

Best purchase for me was a tie between Horizon:Zero Dawn and Resident Evil 7

Worst purchase was hands down Destiny 2 which was one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me

How do you sell a game online in the way you mentioned? :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Best purchase for me was a tie between Horizon:Zero Dawn and Resident Evil 7

Worst purchase was hands down Destiny 2 which was one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me

How do you sell a game online in the way you mentioned? :)

There's also Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. It's best to sell on eBay as Amazon tends to take more cuts and it takes longer to sell on there

• Like 1

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

There's also Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. It's best to sell on eBay as Amazon tends to take more cuts and it takes longer to sell on there

So true! How did I forget this? Also, there's a app called OfferUp (not sure if its available around the world) that I use to sell locally. It usually is a faster way for me to get some funds instead of waiting a few days. 

Best: Horizon Zero Dawn + Frozen Wilds DLC

- I've never played any of the Guerrila's other games so I didn't have high expectations. Luckily the game was really good and is probably my GOTY.

Worst: Xbox One S

- Only games I really have played on this console since I bought it last summer are Quantum Break (which sucks balls) and Cuphead (which I really should finish someday).Oh, and Oxenfree was part of the Games with Gold collection, it was a really good game. But was these games a good reason to buy this console? Hell no. It has been at least a month since I last time booted the console. I'm gonna get PUBG on my Xbox so hopefully I'm gonna use it more in the future than I've done so far.

Edited by Juzota

PS4: Horizon Zero Dawn for obvious reasons.

PC:   Mass Effect: Andromeda - despite the reviews, this is still one of my favorite games (& series) of all time. 

Worst: I really can't say, I even looked through my CC transactions lol. I usually only buy games if I know for sure that I'll enjoy it. (or anything really.)

The only game I'd say (which doesn't really count because it's free) is Marvel Heroes Omega. I didn't think it'd be that much of a grind for the plat and I started it way too late. (rip servers) 

• Like 1

Best: The Switch :D

I wasn't that sure at the start but it's the best handheld console I ever owned thanks to it having awesome games, being able to work as a home console and multiplayer device as well, and being big enough for my large hands so I don't get cramps while playing like with the Vita or 3DS.

Worst: Darksiders Duology :(

The first game was a disappointment, and I haven't even started on the second one yet but it's on PS+ next week.

7 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Best: PS4, Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3: GOTY (bought for £14)

Worst: I don't really have any. It's been a great year for me.

So what's the least best then? Surely there's a game tou bought but haven't even looked at yet, or one you didn't finish yet because the other games you bought were just more fun.

Best - World of Final Fantasy. I haven't enjoyed a turn-based RPG this much in years, and it was only $20.

Worst - Overwatch. I wanted to see what all the hullabaloo was about, so I decided to pick it up, but doing the same thing over and over on the same few maps got real old, real fast. Paying $40 for what should have been a F2P game was not a fun experience.

• Like 1

Amazing year, Best:

• Bioshock Collection
  • God of War Collection
  • God of War Origins Collection
  • Horizon Zero Dawn CE
  • Infamous 1 and 2
  • Last Guardian CE
  • Nier (PS3)
  • Nier: Automata
  • Persona 5 CE
  • PS3 console, yeah boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • SNES Classic
  • The Surge
  • Yakuza 0

Worst: None this actual year, but I'll mention worst PS4 games I  ever bought. Just three:

1. No Man's Sky Limited Edition. Liked it at first, then saw videos of promises and stuff and got super salty about the whole thing.

2. Overwatch. Fuck this game. Awful game and awful community. Game turned me into a very angry person and I became addicted for a while. It's my fault, not healthy to blame others, but I'm done with Blizzard and heavy online games from here on out. I might play Diablo 3, but that's it.

3. Sniper Elite III. Omg what a boring game, bought the CE for like $20 because it had cool stuff in it, thought game would be good, but n0pe!

Edited by Primeape

Here's my pick for this year.

Best :

• Assassin's Creed Origins : Such a good game and glad Ubisoft took their time to make it. AC series is back on track.
  • Persona 5 : Never played a JRPG before and this genre earned a new fan.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn : What can I say... It made me buy a PS4 Pro.

Worst :

• Destiny 2 : Should've been a D1 DLC. Seriously, the PvP is garbage, it took me 2 days to be 286 light. The only thing left was the raid. Poor content.
  • NHL 18 : A couple of dekes and harder AI. Nothing else.

4 minutes ago, Cubone said:

So what's the least best then? Surely there's a game tou bought but haven't even looked at yet, or one you didn't finish yet because the other games you bought were just more fun.

I haven't played so much, and I usually play games that I've bought years before. Maybe Dragon Quest Builders? It's not a bad game, but I wanted to play FF13-2 first, then there was the Kill Your Completion Adventure, then my family visited, yadda yadda yadda.

Not worse, just meh.

Best: Nier: Automata. I can see myself replaying this a lot

Worst: None. Although if I had to pick something I'd say maybe Guitar Hero Live. Not a bad game but I keep forgetting I own it despite the controller literally being leant against the wall next to the TV. It just doesn't scream "PLAY ME THIS SECOND." 

Best: Persona 5. I was waiting for Black Friday to purchase it on sale and play it the week after when I was off work and that worked out amazingly good. $30 and I'm having a blast. Well worth the price. 

Honorable mention goes to FFVII as I got that for $7.50 on sale and loved it.

Worst: None really. I haven't played Ape Escape 2 that I purchased earlier this year, but 5 dollars for a great classic can hardly be called a "bad" purchase.

Tough choice tbh. 

Assassin's Creed Origins Gold Edition was worth every penny for my brother and I. And it's still going to have more to do in the coming months.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 I was able to grab new for $10 using a $50 off coupon at GameStop...so that might have been best purchase. Game itself fell short of every other game in the series imo.

Rock Band 4 though...first game like it I've played since around 2010-2011. Definitely brought back some good memories. And $40 for the game and guitar might make this even better than KH2.8 considering how much I remember paying for GH3 way back in my ps2 days.

Worst is a little easier. As lame as Cursed Crusade and Aragorn's Quest were...I'd say the 2 Royal Defense games were my worst purchases. Especially with having Bloons TD 5 go up against them.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

Best : This year was amazing, so many great games it’s hard to pick one but I’d say Nier automata, Nioh, Horizon, Pyre, Assassins creed origins, Undertale, Hellblade , Prey, Wolfenstein 2 and Mass effect andromeda ( despite it being somewhat disappointing ). Also picked up persona 5 and shadow of war but haven’t played em yet. 

Worst: Eekeemoo, the game is absolute dog shit and to make things worst I bought it twice for the stack lmao.

Best: .Hack G.U Last Recode- I loved .Hack when I was younger, but I was never able to play all of the games because of the way they were released and how crazy the prices got on the aftermarket. I'm loving this collection so much so far, it's absolutely worth it to see the entire GU series. 

Crash Bandicoot Collection- I love platformers, I grew up with Crash, and this is a very solid remake even though it has a few physics problems I could do without. 

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn- It's been a very long time since I've been able to get into an MMO, but I'm loving this. I play it somewhat sporadically but every time I get back into it it steals all of my time for a full month.

Rocket League- I'm not usually into multiplayer games, but this is the most fun I've had in an online game in years. Scoring in this game is satisfying beyond belief.

(I didn't buy Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, RE7, or Persona 5. These were my favorite games this year, but all of them were gifts from family or donations from people who watch me stream, so I don't think they count for this thread.)

Worst: Mecho Tales- Please guys, don't play Mecho Tales. This is hands down the worst game I've played this year. Normally I'm the kind of person who looks into a game a lot before I buy it, but I got this on sale without reading anything. I saw that it was a platformer, looked at the cover art, and I jumped on it. Pure regret. The entire game is an eyesore made of clashing colors and grey blocks. The game is stupidly short, the controls are bad, the areas all look the same, the enemies take forever to kill, the bosses are poor, and the music will kill your ears if you turn it on. Don't just buy this because it has a double platinum. I'm begging you.

Game of Thrones- It was free on PS Plus, but I still paid for the subscription so I'm counting it. I don't think I need to say that the game is hideous and boring, everyone knows that already. 

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy- I just recently got into dungeon crawlers. I ended up loving the few that I played so I thought i would like this one too. Nope, its awful. This has the most unintuitive menu system I think I've ever seen. This is the first game I've played as an adult where I just felt absolutely lost and had no idea what I was doing. It doesn't help that the entire game is filled with copy/paste mono colored walls and you have to be connected online to read hints just to figure out where to go. I really doubt I'll ever turn it on again to give it another try. 

Edited by ImplyingYouCare

Best: Magus. Game of supreme quality. Spent like 5 american donalds on it, but it's worth all 50.

Worst: FFXV. I kinda liked it, especially with get-Aranea-into-your-team-permanently bug, but it was more of a showcase for cut content and wasted potential.

I'm excluding PS Plus free plays I got like Life is Strange and Steins Gate 0, but this year I'd bought Collar x Malice, Amnesia V Edition, Amnesia Later x crowd, Sherlock Holmes, Psycho Pass, Tales of Berseria, Steins gate, Kokuchou no psychadelica, Nier Automata and FFXV. 

Best: FFXII TZA. An amazing game as I really loved the PS2 version, so playing it with all the new features and the job system was both nostalgic and enjoyable. By far one of my favourite FF games despite all the slack the PS2 one received.

Another would be Tales of Berseria for it's amazing battle system and interesting bunch of characters. I really liked Velvet as I'm fond of Anti-hero's and dark story lines. 

WorstFFXV as it was by far my least favourite FF and I've played almost every FF and a few spin offs. Being female, I'm not a fan of playing only as male characters, and the game was far too short and easy for an FF with a poorly written story and ending. Luna and Cindy were under-utilised in terms of story, and the ending lacked explanation, leaving it solely up to the player to hypothesise. FF usually excels in story and characters, but FFXV didn't meet the usual standards and did not feel like a JRPG. However, I liked the graphics and battle system though, and I secretly think Noctis is good looking but the game had just so many faults.  It had so much potential. 

Next would be Steins Gate. Too Moe for me as I'm not interested in otaku culture. I also felt awkward playing it as a female player as it was all "Moe" girls. I much prefer otome games. 

Edited by Lava_Yuki

Best: 

PlayStation Vita Slim - This year I decided to get a 2nd Vita and I love it! Double the Vita, double the fun. ^_^

Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Danganronpa V3 - Easily some of the best games this generation and I'd even consider P5 to be my favourite game of all time.

Worst: 

I bought a lot of games this year, but I haven't played the vast majority of them yet, so I can't say I regret any of them. :P If I had to pick one, though, it would probably be Valkyria Revolution. Not based on personal experience, but I haven't heard many positive things about it, so I'm not expecting it to be great. I think I'll still enjoy it, though, and it wasn't that expensive.

• Like 1

Best Games Bought: Man, to many to count xD. I like all games.

But mainly I would say Nintendo Switch. Switch is a beautiful console. I just love everything about it. 

Worst: Uhhhh I do say bad things about games. So far the only bad game I found was Bloodborne(Bought it last year and played last year a little bit). Some reason..... I need to play it again :(

• Like 1