Mega Man's 30th Birthday Bash - Dec. 17th, 2017.

Happy Birthday Mega Man!

The first Mega Man game was released in Japan on December 17th, 1987. My idea to celebrate the 30th anniversary of one of my all time favourite series was to get as many of the trophies for completing the 10 original games as I possibly can on the actual anniversary date, December 17th, 2017. What better way to spend a Sunday than playing Mega Man all day? The trophies are available by completing the games in the Mega Man Legacy Collection, Volume 1 and Volume 2. Although there are also trophies available for completing the stand-alone version of Mega Man 10 on PS3, I got 100% in that game quite a while ago. I figured I would share this with the community to see if there was any interest. If anyone has either of the legacy collections languishing unplayed on their accounts this might be a good excuse to dust them off. If some people choose to participate I might whip up some kind of a badge. It would be the closest thing to a platinum anyone ever gets for playing original Mega Man :P.

In the spirit of the thread here is an absolutely horrible (but relevant) cartoon:

Participants:

Spoiler

mking_63

JaM

daftprophet

Edited by mking_63
  • Like 3

Whoa! The last thing I expected was for Capcom to throw Mega Man a bone, let alone a sack full of bones! Mega Man 11 and Mega Man X collection? The only thing more mind blowing would be a re-release of Legends 1, 2 and Tron Bonne on one disc topped off by the release of Legends 3 :lol:. In all honesty I think I dropped out on the X series around 4 but I would definitely pick up and play through that X collection!

Have a nice little anthology video from Capcom with a preview of Mega Man 11. Looks sweet! ?

Wow.. I never knew that Rockman's my twin brother. Could still remember my first Mega Man game: Rockman World 5 on Gameboy. 

With that, I would love to join the event. Pretty sure I would not be able to 100% both Legacy Collectiom games but hopefully I could finish the 10 games on 17th.

• Like 1

I'm happy to see some participants :). I realize the overlap of people who are (a) interested in Mega Man and (b) haven't already completed any of the games in either collection may be quite small. @JaM Ya, I've got no plans to tackle the challenge modes on the 17th either. For myself I just want to see the 10 trophies for completing the games, in order and all on the 17th. I'll probably go through the games beforehand and get passwords at the Wily stages, like prepping for a platinum rain day event. I read that the games may have some sort of save feature but I'll just stick with the password system. Going through all the Wily castles on the 17th would still feel more legit than just loading up a save before each game's last boss. To anybody who have beaten all the games but don't have 100% then I guess the 17th would be a good day to work on challenge mode trophies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mking_63 said:

I'm happy to see some participants :). I realize the overlap of people who are (a) interested in Mega Man and (b) haven't already completed any of the games in either collection may be quite small. @JaM Ya, I've got no plans to tackle the challenge modes on the 17th either. For myself I just want to see the 10 trophies for completing the games, in order and all on the 17th. I'll probably go through the games beforehand and get passwords at the Wily stages, like prepping for a platinum rain day event. I read that the games may have some sort of save feature but I'll just stick with the password system. Going through all the Wily castles on the 17th would still feel more legit than just loading up a save before each game's last boss. To anybody who have beaten all the games but don't have 100% then I guess the 17th would be a good day to work on challenge mode trophies.

Oooh. Nice idea. Might do that as well(or might go with save feature if it has one). I guess I'll do 1 game per day til the 17th.

• Like 1

Dang, that's a shame. Well you can still pop most of the games on the 17th. Of the original games I would say that 4 was my favourite. I've been playing some of 7 today and it's definitely the odd duck of the family. Mega Man and the robot masters are all a bit bigger which makes some of the boss rooms a little too confined. The first original game to take that bit from the X games where a boss' weakness has a special graphical effect and interrupts their pattern.

Well... obviously my fault. became too lazy and thought I would just simply Save State when Final boss is very low on HP.

And btw... almost done, left is You-know-who Castle in 10. Among the 10 original games, would say 8 is my fave to date. Can't stop smiling just by replaying the game. Could still remember playing it years ago.

• Like 1

And done...

VpPzl4R.png

Using Save State and Save Checkpoint helped me a lot ^_^

Haters gotta hate but 8 will still be my fave... heh... Doctor Wahwee. Sure, could be considered the "easiest" compared to the previous games and the English dub is cringey and Duo is...meh. But fun game. Loved the graphics and Clownman's stage OST will still be one of my fave OST.

• Like 1

It begins ..

M58ATb8.jpg

Very nice @JaM :D

1 & 2 down. Replaying 1 after a long time I was a little surprised how short the levels were. Most of the challenge was actually due to the finicky controls. Worst part of the game is that one underwater Wily boss that is weak to Guts Man blocks but they don't respawn if you die so you really only have one good chance to beat him. I did like the M beam gadget mechanic though, that should've returned in later games. 2 is pretty much a classic. I had a good laugh killing Metal Man with 1 shot of his own blade. That Clash Bomb Wily boss is a pain though, it takes all your Clash power so if you mess up you would have to farm weapon power each time. I found out Air Man's weapon was really good on the 2nd form of Wily's mech.

3 & 4 down. 3 introduces slide and 4 introduces charge pretty much cementing the controls going forwards until 9 reboots the controls back to 2 for some reason. 3 is the first to have Mega Man's face at the centre of the stage select screen and his eyes tracking the level you're selecting, which is a nice touch. I think it's the only game that doesn't cap your max lives at 9, it's the only one I noticed anyways. 3 is the first game to have something between the 8 initial levels and the Wily castle, which sticks with the series until 7. Those bonus stages are pretty tough too, I think overall 3 is one of the harder ones, maybe 2nd only to 9 for difficulty. As noted, 4 introduces the charge shot, which I like. The only drawback is now I'm usually holding the button and it's constantly making that charge shot noise. I particularly liked the castle bosses in 4, I thought they were unique and fun but none of them you were totally out of luck if you're out of one particular powerup (with the exception of Wily himself).

5 & 6 down. B-E-A-T, BEAT! 5 introduces Beat, obviously, and also an auto-scrolling section. It's neat that the bosses in the first castle were a continual evolution in a series but the 2nd boss was the easiest, stupidest boss I can remember. 6 was the first game to have the "Capcom" intro that was more of a trademark of their SNES games. It was also the first MM game to have the energy balancer which automatically refills the emptiest weapon energy. Best thing in Mega Man ever!

Dr. Wily - "My scheme for world domination has faild!"

And finished 7, 8, 9 & 10. Wily in 7 was a total pain! Timeframe was tighter than expected but I squeezed them in. :D

m987mHu.jpg

Edited by mking_63
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...