PSNP 2017 Year End Awards

@Dr_Mayus Glad to see this back again! Are you going to make your list too?

Here are mine:

Piece of Cake Award

Spoiler

Related image

In fact, it was so easy, I did it twice! :P One time, I did it all in one day! Haha. Though, honestly, I could pick almost any Telltale game that I played this year!

It's like Dark Souls: None (almost put a picture of a nun in spoilers, haha). Even if I picked my hardest platinum of the year, you'd still laugh saying "That's it?" Definitely not even comparable to Dark Souls! Though Infamous was probably my hardest platinum!

Bad Ass award:

Spoiler

Gravity Rush Remastered

Ok, so the very first race challenge I did was near the beginning of the game and I sat there and tried it for like 15 minutes trying to get this damn thing thinking that with my stats, it was impossible. I'm slow and the only thing I put up was my gauge at this point. BUT I proved it wrong when I finally got gold with a grand time of 59.99 seconds!!! Would you like to guess what the goal was for gold? xD 

Grind of the year:

Spoiler

Image result for Ratchet and Clank full frontal assault

OMG! Anyone, ANYONE who has every got this plat knows EXACTLY what I am talking about. This game can earn every single trophy in roughly 5-6 hours. However, there is a trophy that requires you to hoverboot a certain distant, run a certain distance, and hover in the air a certain distance. This makes the game a 10-12 hour plat. Yep, literally spent half my time fucking hoverbooting in a circle for 5 hours. You can't rubberband this sh!t. 2 words: Never. Again.

Sleeper of the year:

Spoiler

Image result for Remember me

This is probably a little of an odd choice, but I personally thought this game was pretty good and was surprised by how much fun it was to earn the platinum. It plays like Batman Arkham games, but without the stupid challenges or riddles. Everything I need in a game. Plus, I found it refreshing to have a game that had linear gameplay. I feel like companies try too hard to make open-world, sandbox games and they come across as "dull" to me. Some people hate it, some love it.

I also want to mention Valkyria Chronicles here. That game was definitely a sleeper as well, but the difference here is that I EXPECTED VC to be a good game. I honestly didn't expect much out of Remember me.

Bomb of the year:

Spoiler

Image result for Metal Gear solid 5

Ok, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this one, but I found this game boring. Like super boring. I probably have put in 20 hours in this game, and I felt like 10 of it has been me either in a helicopter or waiting for one. There is so much time in this game where you are simply traveling from one place to another or are calling in a helicopter to take you somewhere else. I can't stand it. I initially wanted to get this platinum as I loved MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4, but I think I'm going to struggle to just finish the story at this point. It goes beyond me how IGN gave this game a 10/10. They say you create your own style on how to play it, but the game clearly pulls you in the direction of stealth... unless you either have OP weapons or like dying a lot.

Best Platinum of the year:

Spoiler

Image result for Ratchet and clank

Wow. This has to be in my top 3 PS4 games. Every trophy was fun and did not feel like this game was a grind at all (even to upgrade the weapons). In fact, I nearly played through it 3 times before I was done with it. I REALLY REALLY hope we see more of these!

Wurst Plat ov the Yeer: See biggest grind (haha!)

Most Anticipated:

Spoiler

Image result for Persona 5

I'm not expecting to finish this game before the end of the year, so I'll put it in for 2018. But wow. If you have not played this game, do it! Seriously, this game is the fresh air you need if you are tired of playing Star Wars Battlefront 2, CoD, or Battlefield. This game just oozes style from the opening, to the dialog boxes, to the menu screens, game overs, you name it! Holy crap. This game is turn-based combat, but it is so fun to mess around and create personas, look for treasure, or decide what you are going to do for the day. Each aspect of this game was masterfully crafted and can be challenging at times (save often!). I invite challenges, and I hope to invite this game into my platinum collection in 2018 as well! 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Reformatting
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@Dr_Mayus Glad to see this back again! Are you going to make your list too?

Thanks :) I don't put mine until the end as I am doing Plat Rain so I still have (hopefully) lots to go before the end.

I completely agree with some of your choices. R&C PS4 is in high contention for my Plat of the Year, Persona 5 is one of my most anticipated plats of next year...and R&C FFA....you didn't mention that the game doesn't track your movements so you have no idea how far you have gone and have to hope you went far enough to get the Iron Mad Men trophy. Seriously I completely forgot about how stupid that trophy was until you mentioned it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Thanks :) I don't put mine until the end as I am doing Plat Rain so I still have (hopefully) lots to go before the end.

I completely agree with some of your choices. R&C PS4 is in high contention for my Plat of the Year, Persona 5 is one of my most anticipated plats of next year...and R&C FFA....you didn't mention that the game doesn't track your movements so you have no idea how far you have gone and have to hope you went far enough to get the Iron Mad Men trophy. Seriously I completely forgot about how stupid that trophy was until you mentioned it.

Oh, how could I forget that the stupid thing! My word, it didn't track much of anything! Am I getting close? F- me, idk if the plat was 3 hours away, 3 minutes away, or should've popped 3 hours and 3 minutes minutes ago. That was just... Aweful.

30 minutes ago, Terra said:

YES! Ok, here are my picks for the Year End Awards. Bear with me here, these took a while to come up with!

Piece of Cake Award

Hide contents

L9b72c2.png

Very easy game to complete and I didn't even need a guide to complete it. Each scenario was fun and as a history buff like myself, it was an awesome game to beat on Labor Day!

It's Like Dark Souls

Hide contents

Lc3edfe.png

Yes, Command & Conquer Red Alert 3. I love this game to death but it was very unforgiving on the highest difficulty. If you don't know the strategy you are doomed from the start. The Rising Sun Campaign near the end had me screaming in fury after making a save that all lead to defeat every time I reloaded. I had to surrender and do co-op just to get this platinum.

Bad Ass Award

Hide contents

The most bad ass moment of the year? It's a tie between Persona 4: Golden and Persona 5 but I'm going with Persona 5 when I defeated the twins Caroline and Justine under-leveled. I died a few times because my moves weren't doing enough damage to them and they unleashed their "ultimate" move and I was toast five minutes into the battle. It was so satisfying to defeat them with Abbadon and Yoshitsune. I felt like a true Phantom Thief :D 

Grind of the Year

Hide contents

Laee486.png

Ugh, this took me SEVEN YEARS TO COMPLETE! Going through that online was just painful. The races required for the Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic were just unforgiving. I had to spend an entire day doing them all when I could have been enjoying all of the other games and grinding the Wanted trophy out was just boring. I'm glad to have finally completed this even though I did enjoy it.

King of the Internet

Hide contents

Lfa8657.png

Despite some nasty players every now and then, I had a great experience with this game. Most of my team members were encouraging and didn't take the game too seriously when we lost a match. I wasn't that good at the game but it didn't matter because playing with the community made me feel apart of it. I still go back to it every now and then to play a match when I have nothing else I want to platinum

Worst Online Experience

Hide contents

Lb4de3e.png

What a pain this was. Because this game was constantly online only, I kept bumping into random players that kept wanting me to race with them and they got mad when I declined. I knew that I was going to expect this but I didn't expect it to this degree! Getting knocked out of my leads in important races and comments proclaiming that I suck at the game made me want to bury it and never return. I will probably avoid the 100% because of this. Not to mention, I had serious lag issues with this game and half of the time I kept disconnecting. What a mess EA. 

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Hide contents

La13fb5.png

I won't be surprised if no one heard of this visual novel but I feel it's one of the best ones that has come out this year. Why? Because the romance with the male leads is not the central focus of the game, it's more about solving the mystery of the protagonist Ichiko. The presentation of the story was fantastic and the characters weren't sugercoated. You saw their quirks and deficiencies that formed who they were and each felt unique. No story line felt repetitive to me and I enjoyed the added in mechanics such as crime scene investigated and trigger mode. I also felt this was one of the strongest protagonists to come out of a otomae game, beating out Code:Realize for me. I recommend any Vita owners to check this out. 

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Hide contents

L861cec.png

Ugh..this pile of crap. Ok, It's not that terrible of a game, it's honestly average but this was just painful for me to get through. The dialogue was awful and poorly done, the graphics wouldn't have been welcomed on a PlayStation 2, the game mechanics were confusing, and the game was repetitive and utterly devoid of any true emotion. No clear character arcs or proper conclusion to a story that wasn't even managed well in the first place. This made me hate RPGs for a brief period of time. I would say this is the worst published NIS game to date even though this came out seven years ago. Know what came out in 2009? Uncharted 2. This came out in 2010...NO EXCUSES!

Best Platinum of the Year

Hide contents

L9ca196.png

It was hard to pick between this one and Persona 5 but this was the first one I played and thus, it made getting the platinum all much more memorable. I loved the story so much that I would gladly do it all again to get a second platinum...hell, I might even buy the EU version just to do that! It was so satisfying to rank up social links, explore Inaba, and most importantly, discover who was behind the murders and put an end to the madness. The only grip I had with this game was the repetitive dungeons but for such an amazing story and social mechanics, this is at the moment, in my top five list of RPGs of all time. 

Worst Platinum of the Year

Hide contents

Lc0861c.png

I seriously question whether or not the major wind and snowstorm that occurred around the time I decided to do this game were a coincidence or a sign from God that I should avoid this. I should've listened. Despite actually not hating the actual show, this game deserves my full blown rage. Screw the stupid broken frog fling and bottle toss that never gets in correctly, fuck Miley Cyrus's terrible voice actress who keeps yelling YEE-HAW every time the dumbest horse in existence "Blue Jeans" jumps two inches off the ground, screw the horrible movements and glorified clothing decorations, screw the stupid SIXAXIS controls that made me want to smash my controller in half, and seriously, the songs can go rot in a graveyard. Replaying the songs was signing an early death. If I ever hear Pumpin Up The Party again, I will be reminded of this horror concoction of a "game" that even little girls wouldn't enjoy 

Favorite Game of the Year! (My Own Category)

Hide contents

L2e514a.png

I wanted to add this because I didn't want to leave it out of the list. This and Horizon Zero Dawn made my top two favorite games this year (That came out this year) but Persona 5 edges out Horizon Zero Dawn because of:

1. Story

2. Content and Gameplay

The palaces were a vast improvement over the repetitive dungeons found in Persona 4 that I was happy to NOT see again. The story was an excellent tale of corruption and greed in the world and the end result was so goddamn satisfying that I was excited to start a second playthrough. I was rooting for the main cast the whole time, I didn't find any of them to be particularity terrible. I found Morgana to be a better version of Teddie and my favorite characters in the game were Yusuke, Makoto, Sojiro and Futaba Sakura, and Sadayo Kawakami. I especially enjoyed the depth that the confidant system offered and it made each of the characters unique from one another. Overall, the best game I played this year and as of now, my favorite RPG of all time...I haven't played many RPG's so perhaps this will change in the future.  

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2018

Hide contents

Lbe9dfc.png

I'm attempting this for my #150th Platinum trophy. The rarity frightens me but it's more realistic then trying to do Persona 4: Arena!

Wow, Command & Conquer and GTA4 in one year...that is impressive :)

P4G as Plat of the year is completely acceptable. So far we have R&C (Qwark) and P4G (Chie) so now someone needs to plat a Luigi game and all 3 members of the Trinity of Green will be in a Plat of the Year award :P

Also I love your description of Hannah Montana. For me the Bean Bag game was just the worst. Why did they think they could implement the Six Axis controller into their game? Good games could implement that correctly.

22 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Oh, how could I forget that the stupid thing! My word, it didn't track much of anything! Am I getting close? F- me, idk if the plat was 3 hours away, 3 minutes away, or should've popped 3 hours and 3 minutes minutes ago. That was just... Aweful.

Yeah just a stupid trophy. There is no reason games can't provide an in game tracking system if they are going to put stupid grinds like that in. Either make it so you can legit earn the trophy or tell us how close we are.

• Like 1

Alright, I'm finally getting around to posting this. This year I didn't play a whole lot of games, PS or otherwise, making these decisions a ton harder, and with me hopping onboard the Switch now that I could afford it, next year may be even worse, haha. Alright, let's go! I'm gonna apologize now that this list is a bit slack, but I didn't play anything online, didn't have a Biggest Bomb, or a Wurst Plat, or Most Anticipated either. What can you do?

Piece of Cake

Ld87fc9.png

No, I didn't buy any of the trophies, geez! I just found the game to be relatively easy in the requirements compared to all my others, nothing was really that hard, and it was fun to do everything, obviously.

It's Like Dark Souls

L0c61ea.png

But not quite Dark Souls, even though that's on my trophy list. So many playthroughs, so many missed things... fucking ROGER! Also... Bunny Races... Can I go back to SO5? I liked that one and it didn't hurt to plat.

Badass Award

L8f6609.png

Beating the 100th Floor in Trials Mode. I never played the IZJS game, and this was a new experience to me. I got there the first time, but because I wasn't rightly equipped with literally one thing, I tried and tried to no avail... So I went back, got the item, and did ANOTHER run of it and had a much easier time, but still had an awesome fight, I loved it and felt awesome after.

Grind of the Year

L0c61ea.png

Did I mention the bunny races?

Sleeper Hit of the Year

L5c6d1c.png

I haven't gotten the plat, but still, I will say this game was amazing, and I'll get back to it... eventually. I always saw it on sale, heard how hard it was, but never really knew what it was about... So I grabbed it on one of the sales and loved the dungeon crawler/rhythm game feel. It is very unforgiving and makes you think, but so awesome at the same time. If I had actually got the plat, this would probably be the "It's Like Dark Souls" award,

Best Plat of the Year

Lc329e0.png

I may not be good at fighting games, but I still love them, and Skullgirls is no different. The plat was a lot of fun to get, because I love challenging myself with the combo trials and missions and stuff. If I actually had PS+, I might actually play online and git gud with Cerebella and Peacock since they were my two favorite characters.

Favorite Game of the Year

Lf47260.png

*GASP* It's not Danganronpa V3!? Nope, Berseria took the title of favorite game of the year for me super early on, beating out the likes of P5, Nier, and DRV3. Everything about this game was a huge improvement over Zestiria; the story, the combat, the characters from Zesty were good, but Berseria was just amazing. I loved everything about it. Magilou's the best.

Edited by TheFinalEmblem
  • Like 2

This is pretty cool, that theres an award discussion like on this on here! Here are mine: 

Piece of Cake: 

header.jpg?t=1504475059

An extremely easy and fast plat with a guide. I got mine in 40 minutes and 37 seconds, making it my fastest plat ever! 

Its like Dark Souls & Grind Of The Year : 

Stories_the_path_of_destinies.png

This game wins both of these categories. I am of course not trying to bash anyone who liked this game or the developers personally; But this game was honestly the one this year that made wanna rip my hair out in frustration! Its a let down, because 1.) I like top down action RPGs, 2.) The reviews were good, 3.) Its got the ground hog day concept for its story, so what went wrong?  Well the story is boring after a while, you unlock the true ending(Which was decent, I will admit), very early in the game, but of course you have to do all 25 endings for the plat, which added to this game main flaw, repetition! Its repetitive mainly because: by a few hours in you have already crafted and maxed out all the weapons(Making the crafting system completely pointless), while there is a little procedural generation(so the reviews say), your mostly just visiting the same looking levels over and over again, the narrator I found irritating and he repeats a lot of old lines on loop, plus after you finish all 25 endings, the game ain't over buddy, you still have to grind and grind and grind some more to get all the skill points to finish the skill tree for the plat! Only thing that didn't get repetitive was the combat. But ya overall my fondest memories of this game was getting the plat and deleting the game off my console, I was disappointed even though it was free ps plus game! 

Biggest Bomb of The Year: 

140686-games-news-star-wars-battlefront-

Full Disclaimer, I have not gotten this plat; but I can safely say this game is winner of this category. Boring single player campaign, a multiplayer that is also boring and with players that kind of reminded me why I generally stick to single player games. As for the microtransactions and loot boxes tied to progression, I don't really need to even comment on it, its that bad! 

Worst Online Experience: 

header.jpg?t=1511364412

Also have not got the plat, but I had to mention it. Aside from having a cool multiplayer concept that makes it stand out a little; this game pretty much brought its toxic steam community with it to consoles! These are guys, who will accuse you of being a camper(By personal playstation message), if you hang around the hooks their on for too long; but then completely troll you by the exit where theres no possible way of capturing them; one guy even followed after me, after I turned around and walked in the opposite direction and trolled me more to try and get me to chase him. 

Sleeper Hit of The Year: 

Watch-Dogs-2-MULTi16-PLAZA.jpg?fit=460,2

Coming off the bat as someone who pretty much hated the first game, I was not expecting much from this one, I threw it in as a "what the heck. I'll give it five minutes", and I sat glued to the couch playing this game! Even after I finished this game, I still came back for the DLCs and the plat! Ubisoft can be a lazy, copy/paste developer, but this is one of the times where they listened to everyone and really set out to fix and refine everything! If you haven't picked this one up yet, get it!

Best Plat of The Year: 

final_fantasy_xv_noctis_gladio_ignis_pro

Final Fantasy XV. I know this isn't everyone's favourite, but I loved this game through and through! It took me 96 hours overall including post game time to get the plat, and honestly l loved every minute of it! Most games can't keep me playing after I beat it, unless there's story dlc, but this game kept me till the very end! Absolute joy for me to platinum; it is a little grindy, but I was having fun the whole time! This is one of those games that whenever I look back on it, all I do is smile! 

Badass Moment of the Year & Game of the Year: 

horizonn-zero-dawn-review-header.jpg

What can I say about this one that hasn't already been said? This is honestly Witcher 3 levels of awesome! Fun game to platinum, great music and a great console seller for the PS4! For badass moments, there are so many, from the first time you take down a thunder jaw, to the rigorous hunters trials, to the epic set pieces in the cinematics! Fully recommend to everyone! 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Some Japanese story book that you can't understand but it allowed you to play 1 handed

Damned skippers 

:awesome: 

Piece of Cake:

1Sffe0fb.png

SwapQuest

I originally planned this to be one of Vita b-day Plats but I was actually finished with it before I knew it o.O For a long time, I was even fastest achiever. That's pretty much why I chose this rather than Gem Smashers, Mr. Massagy or the one and only Mayo.

It's Like Dark Souls:

1S2b888b.png

Akiba's Trip

For a weeb game about stripping, the battle system was way too damn annoying =D

Bad Ass Award:

Persona 5 final boss

Oh wait, who am I kidding? That's the ultimate Bad Ass moment for everyone :awesome: 

On more serious note...

1Sf24575.png

Nitroplus

Finally I was able to Plat fighting game with combos! Definitely a badass =D

Grind of the Year:

1S5e2ac5.png

Accel World VS Sword Art Online

Since Hollow Realization was started last year, this SAO gets the obvious pick =D SAO games are becoming more and more grindy with each installment. And this one... was the peak of them all o.O

King of the Internet:

Fortunately none this year

Worst Online Experience:

Fortunately none this year

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

1Sfbf7d4.png 1S416187.png

Lost Dimension & Conception II

Easy ones but both have to be mentioned. Both are incredibly similar as to why are Sleeper Hits. I've been delaying them for so long because they didn't have proper voices but... even mute, they are brilliant games. If I really had to choose one, Lost Dimension would probably be the one.

Technically Root Letter would also go here.

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

1Sd0c73b.png

Gravity Rush 2

I have to... unfortunately, it is true. It just... it just didn't live up to the brilliance of the first game.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

1S1da651.png

Orc Slayer

572.jpg

Most Anticipated Platinum 2018:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh wait, something's missing!

Best Platinum of 2017!

Is it P5? Is it P5? It is, right?

No. It isn't.

1Sfa9e1c.png

Shining Resonance

I have to apologize to Persona 5, Plastic Memories, Ateliers but... you were played in the same year as Shining Resonance. That game is... just incredible. Indescribably beautiful. To really understand the game, one has to play it. No words can correctly describe it. In fact, it's currently last PS3 Platinum I got at the moment =D 

In any case, how the game affected me makes this my 2017 winner.

• Like 3

As someone that usually waits to buys games until they come on sale, I unsurprisingly haven't played many games that officially got released in 2017 (got some waiting in my backlog though).  That said, I've had a great year gaming, so here is my personal game awards for this year.

Piece of Cake Award: The Bunker

Lff33bd.png

A short, dead easy game that is actually quite enjoyable.  The vast majority of the trophies come naturally for completing the different chapters, collectables are really easy to find and you have to replay the final chapter to get a different ending. Easy-peasy.

It's Like Dark Souls: The Witness

L5d1a3d.png

I know, I know - "What! The Witness like Dark Souls?!?" The only reason I put this on here is for 1 particular trophy - 'Challenge'.  This trophy nearly broke me.  You need to complete a series of puzzles that you have worked out throughout the game, under a very strict time limit.  If you fail, the puzzles change each time, so you can't memorize them. I kept getting so close to doing this on multiple occasions (like within a second or so before the timer ran out), yet kept failing endlessly.  Eventually I got it after much longer than I'd like to admit.  Fantastic game though.

Bad Ass Award: Overwatch: Origins Edition

L39546f.png

I struggled with this category as generally I'm bang average at most games.  Overwatch is no different, I'm neither good or bad, just OK.  Saying that, it is a great feeling when you do get that 1 game where you do really well and feel invincible.  Have had only a handful experiences like this, usually followed up by being utterly awful in the following game(s), but it's a great feeling when it does happen.

Grind of the Year: Blood Bowl 2

L535de9.png

1 grindy trophy made this game win the 'Grind of the year' award - the 'What a pity' trophy.  This took me FOREVER to get, simply because it is totally random whether you get it or not.  One of your players needs to die during the game & get the MVP award.  Well, getting players to die is a task in itself as that is random, yet even when you get multiple players to die, you have to cross your fingers to see whether they will get the MVP award.  I ended up doing one of the strangest grinds I've ever done for this, as essentially you just have to grind losses (not wins), which is very boring.  The AI is very slow, so this trophy alone took a very long time.  Kind of ruined the rest of the game.

King of the Internet: Battlefield 1

L3851fb.png

Generally most games these days have a decent online experience, and from the games I've played this year I probably had the most fun in Battlefield 1.  Not too grindy, not overly hard, but still offering a challenge whilst being genuinely fun.  Add in the fact that Battlefield games tend to focus more on the group dynamic rather than the lone wolf (what's my K/D ratio), making it a great online game.

Worst Online Experience: Battlefield Hardline

Ld78bf8.png

I really enjoyed the campaign, but almost instantly hated the multiplayer of this game.  It wasn't helped by the fact that there aren't as many people still playing this these days (which is interesting as plenty still play Battlefield 4), and the different modes are kind of weird.  I gave the game a chance, but honestly haven't been this put off by on online game before - I hated it.  Didn't bother with the platinum for this one.

Sleeper of the Year: RIGS Mechanised Combat League

L9fd8f5.png

I picked up a VR headset this year, which is great!  The game that caught me completely off guard (as it was free on PS+) was RIGS.  Hadn't really considered playing it, but since it was free I gave it a go and completely fell in love with it.  This game is awesome!!!  The 3 different modes are really fun, the offline play AI is decent, the online is great and active, the different mechs are all different and give a strategic feel.  If you have a VR headset, play this.  You will love it!

Biggest Bomb of the Year: Until Dawn

L172c11.png

I was really hyped to play this as it looked pretty good and I tend to like these choose your own story type (Heavy Rain) games.  Whilst the game is visually good, I HATED this game.  The story was awful, the characters 1-dimensional and stereotypical, and I just didn't care about who lived or who died.  I did perceiver and got the platinum, which I kind of regret now if I'm honest.  Wouldn't want to play this again, and I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.  Just my opinion though.

Best Plat of the Year: Fallout 4

L50d97e.png

I waited until all the DLC had dropped before even picking this game up, and I'm glad I waited.  This game is AMAZING!!!  I was a little bit surprised as well, as I'd played Fallout 3 and thought it was OK, but I really fell in love with this instalment. I enjoyed the story, the many sidequests, the characters, the base building and the overall world.  Spent a lot of time in that world and I'm sure I missed plenty of stuff.  This game would probably make it into my top 5 games of all time - no surprise then that I've already got my eye on picking up the VR version when that comes out.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer: Clockwork Tales: Of Glass & Ink

L56df81.png

Until Dawn nearly won this (for the above listed reasons), but there was 1 other game that I truly regretted buying, playing and plat'ing - Clockwork Tales: Of Glass & Ink.  Luckily, the game isn't very long at all, so my misery didn't last long.  My main regret though was the fact that I picked this game up on sale for an "easy plat".  I don't really want to become one of those gamers (nothing wrong with easy plats, or people that plat easy games), as I'd much rather spend my time playing better games personally.  Regret is the best word to sum this game up for me.

Most Anticipated Plat of 2018: Uncharted:The Lost Legacy & FFXV

L0091ff.pngL9697d4.png

Two games that are sitting in my backlog waiting to be played are Uncharted: The Lost Legacy & FFXV, both of which I'm very eager to get stuck into.  Am waiting for all the FFXV DLC to drop before finally starting that, but think Uncharted TLL will be my next game.  I'm also looking forward to The Last Of Us 2, though at the rate I get through games, that may be one for me to look forward to in 2019.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wilwheaton5 said:

This is pretty cool, that theres an award discussion like on this on here! Here are mine: 

Yeah it started as a joke thread the first year where I just wanted to give some awards to games I liked (and hated) and talk about my awesome Far Cry 3 moment (still fucking badass). Others started posting their responses as well so figured might as well make it open to everyone. 

I love the award thread because it isn't like the VGAs where it is just AAA games that got a lot of money behind them...it is what we as a community play and by hearing other people's experiences you can either decide to try a game out or stay the fuck away from it  :P

• Like 1

Piece of Cake Award

Spoiler

L58925c.png

While i appreciate going against the trend of fighting game platinums that are tough as nails when the hardest thing about your platinum is getting into a match at launch you need to get your priorities straight. 

Still ended up playing this one a lot this year after they fixed the online.

It's Like Dark Souls

Spoiler

L3ce00c.png

I didn't really play any really difficult games this year. Yakuza 3 is here thanks to golf.

Bad Ass Award

Spoiler

Le71ec5.png

Let me be the first and only person on the internet to say that this Undertale videogame isn't all too shabby.

Grind of the Year

Spoiler

Le44c63.png

I've completed much more time intensive games this year and the grind in this one really isn't all that bad but the feeling of repetitiveness just set in quite quickly for me.

This is the kinda game you play for the sake of playing rather than progression so i ended up feeling burned out on it after roughly 20 hours.

King of the Internet

Spoiler

L4e52ba.png

Netcode as smooth as butter and constant free updates. RIP Respawn Studios.

Worst Online Experience

Spoiler

Lfe32a4.png

This is actually one of the best experiences i've had playing fighting games online. The lag is almost nonexistant. Would be better if there was more than five dudes playing though.

Sleeper of the Year

Spoiler

L1ab094.png

I originally started playing this game as nothing but a timewaster but found myself really enjoying its unique mechanics. Remember how when you finish a level in Super Meat Boy it shows all your attempts play out simultaneously and it's the most satisfying thing to watch? It's like that but the entire game. Writing is horrible though.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Spoiler

L14bfb5.png

This game finally helped me realize how sick and tired i am of the generic open world sandbox style of game that seems to have become the industry standard. Uninspired story, boring quest design, terribly repetitive side content. This also gets Worst Plat of the Year so i won't bother listing it again.

Best Plat of the Year

Spoiler

Lb8ed84.png

This goes to a Yakuza game for the second year in a row. I've been putting this game off for a long time due to its infamy for being a 130 hour grindfest but ended up enjoying every moment of it when i played it. I'd also never played a game that was entirely in japanese up to that point so that was an interesting experience for me as well.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2018

Spoiler

title.png

Without as much as a moment of doubt. I've become somewhat disillusioned with video game hype culture over the last 5 years but i'm looking forward to this game with childlike excitement. The idea of getting a true current gen Monster Hunter game still feels so surreal to me.

• Like 2

Here's my nominations (some games are minded to being finished by the end of this month/year):

The "Piece of Cake" Award goes to:

Spoiler

Puzzle Showdown 4K

Lfbcc4e.png

Considering that this game was used to make possible to have another game's Platinum as my 190th Platinum (when I had had 187 Plats), it is obvious that this game would be awarded this prize... ^_^

Runner-ups: Daytona USA, Monster Jam: Crush It!, Hitman GO, Day of the Tentacle.

The "It's Like Dark Souls" Award goes to:

Spoiler

Catlateral Damage

L7ad76e.png

Wait... Why am I choosing an easy game like "Catlateral" as my "Dark Souls-like" game? Because for the first time I had motion sickness playing a game... Okay, this game is really easy and simple to Plat', but considering I had struggled myself to complete this game (so many headaches... :shakefist:), I'm giving to it the "ILDS Award"... (I guess many players got headaches while playing Dark Souls/other difficult games while they're trying for Platinums... :hmm:)

The Bad Ass Award goes to:

Spoiler

2017 September 10th, at 10:10 (GMT -3) - Platinum of PS4 version of Handball 16

Lb0a602.png

Since I was building Trophy Guides for Handball 16, I used basically the PS3 version to gather information (the Vita version have been already finished in February) to build a guide, and soon after I finished my first version of the guide (before proofreading and final adjustments), I've started the PS4 version to test my suggested roadmap. However, while I was playing, I decided to try to be the fastiest Platinum achiever of this game in PSNP (the former first place had finished this version in about 55 hours). Well, even had chosen sleeping instead of spend the night playing, I could Plat' this game in about 20 hours and a half. I choose this moment as my "Bad Ass Award" because my mark as the fastest achiever of Handball 16 (PS4) will be sustained for a while - considering mainly that this game does not deserve so much dedication... :awesome:

Runner-up: February 22nd - Vita's anniversary (due to plenty of games I've finished for this event).

The Grind of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

Project CARS

Lc8da07.png

After I had given up of this game's Platinum in 2015, I restarted to work in this game in May for remaining trophies due to a exploit which allows online races solo (and a new PS4 slim, whereby I could finish a 24 hours race). In the meanwile, Slightly Mad had simply published new Community Challenges a bit before releasement of Project CARS 2, and since I still had to complete 20 of these challenges for a trophy (I could complete only one per week), I should complete these "weekly bits of work" (including in the week I was going to São Paulo as a tourist). I thought I would spent about 6~7 weeks (I'd already done plenty of weeks when I was playing this game for the first time), but it tookme 9 weeks to finally achieve this Platinum.

Runner-ups: MotoGP 15, Madden NFL 11.

The Best Online Experience of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

Lf7d204.png

What can I say? Besides I had not played too much online games at all, I can't neglect a game which allows you auto-driving the car by "pausing" the game...

Runner-ups: Madden NFL 16, Madden NFL 17.

The Worst Online Experience of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

Nobody. I could say something about Valentino Rossi The Game, where I had some disconnections while I was auto-boosting this game, but it was my internet connection's fault...

The Sleeper Hit of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

La0a851.png

A game that came to us by Plus. I give a chance for this game because it was said this game is easy - but despites being simple, this game is "delicious" to being played. To make things better, this game is cross-buy and have personal trophy lists for both PS4 and Vita versions - on other words, this game could be completed twice.

- But this game does not have a Platinum... :emo:

- I DON'T GIVE A F**K!!! :awesome:

Runner-up: Hot Shots Tennis.

The Biggest Bomb of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

WRC 5

L311748.png

So many expectations about PS3 version of this game (which I'm still playing while I write this content), and this game is a lot awful... - uglier than its Vita version (and WRC 4...), and a good prospect to being the second game which gives me motion sickness... :shakefist:

Runner-ups: Rugby 15 (PS4), Rugby World Cup 2015 (PS4), Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space.

The Comeback of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

L43cfa5.png

It's a weird situation: I started this game in September 2013, re-started for the first time in March 2014, re-started again in July 2014, and ended playing this game after a total amount of 15 hours in-game... while I was liking to play this game!! I still don't know how I'd allowed myself keeping too much time without playing this game... This game is not even difficult to being frustrated with it or something else... After a 3-year standby, I could finally re-start this game - "this time it's for real" - and after two months, and more 60 hours played, I could finally complete this piece of art. There are 1.534 days between my first trophy in this game and the Platinum... :blink:

Runner-ups: Project CARS, Worms Crazy Golf, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Online Edition.

Note: this personal award refers to games which you laid aside due to no reason, and after a while and lots of dust blown out, you could finally finish it, and/or games which you would not imagine getting their Plats, but you could due to a strike of luck or a sudden and unexplainable will.

The Best Plat' of the Year Award goes to:

Spoiler

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4

L4a681f.png

An awesome game, that was played on the right way - I'd bought the "Complete Edition" on a sale, and to make sense of all the money spent, I decided to play this game "as a casual player", enjoying every content of the game, including content that do not have any related trophies, and in order (Naruto's main story, then additional stories, and finally Road to Boruto). Why am I not playing majority of my games like I've played this one?? :facepalm:

Runner-ups: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 and Re;Birth3, Madden NFL 16 and 17, Rayman Legends, Miracle Girls Festival, Atelier Shallie, Hitman GO, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone (despite do not having a Platinum).

'Ze Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer gous tu':

Spoiler

Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space

L484e3d.png

Why did I bought this game?? :blink: OK if someone liked this game, but this game is no good for me... Extremely awful... I don't want to even spent my English with this piece-of-sh*t... (**lots of ugly words in Portuguese...**)

The Most (Personal) Anticipated Platinum of 2018:

Spoiler

Since I'm not awarded about games that will be released in 2018, I will say about games I still do not have, or are in my schedule to being started-completed. I could say some Atelier games, or Neptunia franchise (I've bought every game of this franchise but 4-Goddesses), or even racing games franchises I like most - mainly F1 and NASCAR - but I will choose Tekken 7, because Tekken is a franchise I like so much, and there's a long time since I have played any Tekken game last time... (I want to play this one like I've played Naruto UNS 4... :lol:)

L58925c.png

Edited by JoaoQuique
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy said:

Sleeper of the Year

Hide contents

L1ab094.png

I originally started playing this game as nothing but a timewaster but found myself really enjoying its unique mechanics. Remember how when you finish a level in Super Meat Boy it shows all your attempts play out simultaneously and it's the most satisfying thing to watch? It's like that but the entire game. Writing is horrible though.

I am so glad someone else has seen the beauty in this game.  I played this game a couple years ago now and it is still one of my top indie games.  I recommend this to anyone who asks.