PSNP 2017 Year End Awards

As promised, here are my awards for 2017:

xYkGfKI.png

Lb7313e.png

Code: Realize is a visual novel, so I could just read the story and do some mini-games to plat it.

gl2oT0D.png

Lafff95.png

Defeating the Mysterious Figure superboss with Terra and his crappy dodge in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. It took more than 150 attempts to get it done.

Runner up: Super Time Force Ultra helladeck level 50.

bs6ooqn.png

Lee2ba4.png

Completing the game and all 4 DLCs on Fury mode in Muramasa Rebirth. In Fury mode you only have 1 hp, so getting hit once will kill you. Each boss is a new set of moves, so mastering them all felt like a huge accomplishment.

ZFFpcSC.png

L99b884.png

Getting 10,000 kills in Killzone Mercenary was by far the biggest grind. After completing 100 online matches and beating the campaign 5 times I ended up with 4,500 kills. So that meant I had to complete the chapter with the most enemies 55 times to get the remaining kills. Completing this chapter took around 15 minutes and cutscenes couldn't be skipped :shakefist: .

Runner up: Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment, because of the implements, hollow missions, and affection.

9Qcj0Sn.png

L38d876.png

Doing online co-op with some PSNP members was a lot of fun.

cBvB66k.png

L99b884.png

Killzone Mercenary again. There were a few trophies that couldn't be done in Botzone, so these required actual people. Of course, the servers were buggy and kicked players for no apparent reason or it said there was an error and players couldn't join. Even joining as a party didn't guarantee that everyone ended up in the same lobby :facepalm: .

1sBtckq.png

This one is actually a tie between The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.

L5eae09.png Lab7e2d.png

Both games are developed by Falcom and both managed to blow me away. The locations, story, characters, combat system (in Trails of Cold Steel), and soundtrack were great. ToCS also had an amazing cliffhanger ending that made me want to buy the sequel immediately (which I did).

cRmi7oS.png

L832be1.png

After watching the anime and playing Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment I had very high hopes for SAO Lost Song. But it was a huge disappointment as the game felt like a filler arc where the main characters just do some questing. The story felt lacking and the combat was too simplified compared to Hollow Fragment to the point that it was boring. Flying around was nice, but there was a altitude limit for 90% of the game, so I couldn't fly to my heart's content until the end.

gnHxJFF.png

L2e514a.png

Since Trails of Cold Steel and Ys VIII have been mentioned already, I'm going with Persona 5 this time. P5 has more gameplay elements and I like how Palaces aren't randomly generated dungeons. The story is amazing and there's lots of optional things to do. The final boss fight was also good. I also like how enemies are Personas and it's possible to obtain them through negotiations. This makes them unique to each Palace whereas in Persona 4 Golden they were just the same enemies from the earlier dungeons, but with a palette swap. Unlocking perks when leveling up Confidant ranks was also a nice addition. Hearing 250 unique lines from Futaba was also a lot easier to do compared to the P4G counterpart. While this game does have some flaws, it's still very entertaining.

REO5sp8.png

L48082c.png

The story mode is excellent, though the last debate lasted way too long due to all the conversations and at the end I just lost interest in it. Taking care of pets was a huge chore as pets are raised when walking. They gain 1 exp for every step, which makes it necessary to ignore the quick-travel system and walk everywhere. Running is also out of the question, as the protagonist needs less steps to go somewhere when running. 

Besides the story mode there's also Island Mode and the Monomi mini-game. Island Mode is exactly the same as School Mode from the first game and just as boring. It took 4 playthroughs to fill every characters' report cards and obtain their endings. Each playthrough lasted about 2 hours. The Monomi mini-game is even worse: there are 6 levels where Monomi fights Monobeasts from the story. Completing each level once is ok and I would've been fine with that. However, there's a trophy to obtain all 60 items. All of them are random drops and it's possible to get the same item multiple times. It took about 8 hours to get all 60 of them, which was a completely unnecessary grind. It's like the developers added these modes just to inflict players with despair as both of them are terrible and reduced my enjoyment of this game entirely. This makes the plat so much more grindy and boring that it needs to be.

Runner up: Lone Survivor

7daiPmv.png

I'm looking forward to these games:

Demon Gaze II

Mary Skelter

Monster Hunter World

God Eater 3

Persona 5 Dancing Star Night

Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night

Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 4

Well now that Plat Rain is over :D Time to post my Winners/Losers

xYkGfKI.png

My Name Is Mayo

1Lcb2df6.png

There is no question that this was going to be my Piece of Cake platinum. I only bought this for 2 reasons.

1. I was doing Plat Rain and I wanted to try hitting 20 plats but was running out of time.

2. I was using my 20% off coupon that came with my PS4 on other games so figured I would throw this on for even cheaper. 

Do I have to explain why this is the easiest plat or does the hundreds of Recent Plat posts explain it for me.

gl2oT0D.png

LittleBigPlanet

1Lda39fd.png

I didn't really play any crazy hard games this year but LBP had its moments. For The Bunker, Boom Town and a few other Ace levels I will give the Dark Souls award to this fantastic game.

bs6ooqn.png

I struggled thinking of something for this award. This was the first year where I really couldn't think of a definite moment. The closest thing I had was actually just a couple of days ago while I was playing Mortal Kombat X. I was playing online and this little punk was talking so much shit during the character selection that it felt really good to take him down in no time flat.

Hearing him go from wanting to "beat my ass like he owns me" to "you cheating mother fucker, I hope you die" Made me proud to be a gamer ^_^

ZFFpcSC.png

Sorcery Saga:                                       Okabu

Curse of the Great Curry God         

Bookworm                              Dozerbot Devastor

4L736d52.png6L3fe661.png

I don't like doing ties but I had to in this case.

Bookworm in Sorcery Saga made you hold 1 of every item in the game. This means you had to level each of the about 100 weapons and shields up to level 5 by grinding out the dungeons over and over and over. Now you wanted to bring a couple of weapons with you when you went to a dungeon because it would suck if you got to level 5 and had to exit the dungeon every time to get a new weapon (as you would start again on the low experience floors) BUT you could easily get a weapon turned into an onion, eaten, destroyed etc. meaning you had to find that same weapon again so you could level it up. Now let's say you leveled it up to level 4...and then it got eaten...you had to level a new one up again. Also that Level 4 sword was probably your buffed sword meaning you could have lost your +99 weapon because a stupid bird ate it.

Okabu was a much shorter grind than Sorcery Saga but even dumber. I beat the game with all the medals and beat all the mini games and I still hadn't earned the 1000 kill trophy...and Dozerbot Devastator requires 5000 kills. That means after beating the game 100% I was still down 4000 kills. The best level to grind out had 32 enemies in it and it took about 10 minutes to beat ever single time. Do the fucking math.

9Qcj0Sn.png

wall-scroll-little-big-planet-game-cover

I would say LittleBigPlanet wins for this one as well. I met a lot of great people while playing this game and it was just so much fun running through these levels with friends and strangers alike :)

cBvB66k.png
61Ebgo2sl3L.jpg

So we go from LittleBigPlanet's online being awesome to LittleBigPlanet 3's online sucking.

I didn't even earn this platinum this year but I did go for the 100% and MAN the online was just completely broken. Besides the lag (which was unplayable at times) it also glitched on me twice meaning I had to ace all the levels 3 times. They weren't hard...they were fun even...but the online was just so broken. It is a shame because only LBP3 and Karting had broken online and that brings down the series.

1sBtckq.png

Severed

1Le80804.png

So far this company is 3/3 in games I liked. I didn't even know this was the same people as Guacamelee when I started but I am so happy I got to play it :D. It isn't as good as Guacamelee but it is still a ton of fun. I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere, the Metroidvania aspect of it and the unique battle system. 

Worth a try if you haven't played it.

cRmi7oS.png

Batman (PS3)

1Ld96464.png

I like Tell Tale and I love Batman so this was a no brainer but man did this fall HARD. 

I really was enjoying the story for about 80% of the game until the last chapter and that just nose dived. The main villain is so stupid and the "plot twist" falls apart if you think about it for 2 seconds.

I could forgive that though if the game even functioned a little bit. My game froze or crashed so many times I lost count. It would freeze up so bad it forced me to restart the chapter as I froze and saved on a black screen. It corrupted my save data twice and it got to the point if I missed a command (which the game lagged at every time) it would freeze my console trying to restart.

The cherry on the sundae came when I went to plat this game today for Plat Rain and found it had erased my save data AGAIN. I had to replay all of episode 5 again and as I mentioned that was the only episode I absolutely hated.

gnHxJFF.png

Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

1L78e2ce.png

Not even up for debate. This was the one game I played this year that from beginning to end I just had a smile on my face. I loved revisiting my favourite series of all time in glorious new HD and the little additions made it even better. 

REO5sp8.png

Batman

1Ld96464.png

I know some people thought Ride to Hell was going to get this spot but that game's badness was blown out of proportion. I mean it was a steaming pile of shit but it functioned (more or less) and the story, characters, glitches were more funny than bad (I mean they were bad but they weren't Fairy Tale Fights bad). 

No the Wurst Plat has to go to the game that made me curse the most and for a LONG time that was going to be Sorcery Saga. If Batman had functioned like every other Tell Tale game I have played then Sorcery Saga would be claiming this award. 

But for all the game breaking and save corrupting glitches Batman takes the turd. 

That being said, this game is free on PS4 this month and I am going to actually double plat it because I want to see if the PS4 version is as broken as the PS3 version. I just have to see if it can redeem itself from Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer.

7daiPmv.png

Now that I own a PS4 I can actually look forward to games again :)

Persona 5 is obviously high on my list but as for games that haven't come out yet I am really looking forward to Dreams and Spiderman. I love Media Molecule and Insomniac (I mean their games took home a lot of positive awards this year alone) and I can't wait to see what they do with new franchises.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Do the fucking math.

4000 kills in 20hrs 50min, assuming a 10 min run to rack up 32 kills and no pause between runs. :D

I agree Severed was a great game that I didn't know much about going in. After playing through the game and while watching the credits I was a little surprised to see credit given to the Canada Council for the Arts, presumably for a grant provided. Best use of muh tax dollars ever :lol:.

So you liked LBP1 but not so much LBP3 which is sort of the standard opinion but where are you on LBP2? Of all the LBP games I would say 2 was my favourite. It was a decent extension to the first game without being a broken mess like the third. Getting 100% though will require like every damn peripheral that ever existed for the ps3 and a vita. Also did you make anything in create or just rubber band the controller for 24 hours? The only game that required time in create that I used a rubber band for was Karting since it seemed silly to learn a new editor when the servers were (supposed to be) shutting down.

Edited by mking_63

3 hours ago, mking_63 said:

4000 kills in 20hrs 50min, assuming a 10 min run to rack up 32 kills and no pause between runs. :D

I agree Severed was a great game that I didn't know much about going in. After playing through the game and while watching the credits I was a little surprised to see credit given to the Canada Council for the Arts, presumably for a grant provided. Best use of muh tax dollars ever :lol:.

So you liked LBP1 but not so much LBP3 which is sort of the standard opinion but where are you on LBP2? Of all the LBP games I would say 2 was my favourite. It was a decent extension to the first game without being a broken mess like the third. Getting 100% though will require like every damn peripheral that ever existed for the ps3 and a vita. Also did you make anything in create or just rubber band the controller for 24 hours? The only game that required time in create that I used a rubber band for was Karting since it seemed silly to learn a new editor when the servers were (supposed to be) shutting down.

Yeah that number you posted was not an exaggeration. The actual game takes about 10-15 hours to 100% and then another 20 hours to get all the kills. Such a stupid game.

I also want to be clear that I really liked LittleBigPlanet 3...just the online was a broken mess. The actual game was a ton of fun.

For me 2 is right behind Vita. Vita is the best Core game BUT has the worst DLC (well the Marvel DLC is shit the other 2 are fine). LBP2 was such a huge step up from 1 that it is what I call a "true" sequel. I still have to 100% the game. I finally got the Vita trophies done but I haven't done the Move trophies yet. What is funny is besides having to buy a Move and Vita to 100% it you also have to buy the DC DLC twice (once for Vita and once for LBP2) so they couldn't even give you a break on buying the DLC :(

As for the create trophies. I did build some levels but that may have constituted like 2 hours maximum among all the LittleBigPlanets so for 2, Vita and Karting I was either hitting :square: or rubber banding it :(

• Like 1

Please bear in mind that I had a PS4 last july, so I didn't play PS4 games for a whole year. With that, my award contestants are a little limited, still have some awards!

Piece of Cake Award

Spoiler

L1c7a3f.png

Whatever you do, just finish the story and the platinum is yours. Even though I also played the Wolf Among Us and Life Is Strange, I still had some little collectibles to go for. Not the case for Tales From the Borderlands. Still, very enjoyable and wished there was a sequel for this story.

It's Like Dark Souls

None, I only got easy/average platinums so far.

Bad Ass Award

Spoiler

L58925c.png

Not remembering anything in particular as for the other games right now. Still, in every fighting game, and in my case, as far as Tekken 7 is concerned, I lost the count of how many times I managed to win a round, by suddenly counter-attacking, doing a surprise Rage Art or even a surprise low hit that the other guy was not expecting. Love it when I do it with a Rage Art, feels like you are going Overdrive and say that the others were too slow to finish me.?

Grind of the Year

Spoiler

L6f1681.png

And I haven't got the platinum yet. Finishing the 4 Main Story Arcs and all character sub-stories still take some time. I really like the Dynasty Warriors-style series, but this one is too much repetitive early on. The cast of characters is not that big, the maps are very few, the musics are too repetitive, and the Extella Maneuvers are just too boring and repetitive. As a Fate-series fan, this game dissapointed me, even though I really loved it when I started, not expecting it would be repetitive so soon. Grindy because to get the platinum you need to get 100% at the gallery, which means getting all equipments that can sometimes be a little painful to unlock. Then after unlocking it, you still need to craft them for lots of QP (currency) and sometimes materials.

King Of The Internet

Spoiler

Lfa8657.png

Even though I didn't play a lot and I normally don't play online, I loved this game, and the few online experience in this game was amazing. The people are cool, nobody was ever offensive to me, plus, the server never went down and even if someone leaves, the show goes on. Really like this game. Of course I'll come back later and platinum this.

Worst Online Experience

Spoiler

Laba3c4.png

Haven't finished the game, but I'm liking it a lot. I like Tomb Raider games, but it is not that good for online gaming. First, there is nobody in the ranked matches, except for trophy boosters. When looking for Quick Matches, there is only 1 or 2 games available to join and sometimes there is just nobody at all. And when you join a match, it's a room with LV1 rookies and LV60 fully upgraded ranked guys, making the matches sometimes very unbalanced. I'm at lvl 34 mainly because of the solo method (damn lv60 trophy).

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Spoiler

L16141a.png

I bought this game because, well, I like RPGs and wanted to try this one. After I started this game, I put every other game in standby until I beat the story of this game at least. A very beautiful gem for the PS4. This game can perfectly show you that you don't need awesome 3d graphics to make an awesome game. Long live 2D! Beautiful graphics, dark story, funny parts and a gameplay full of action and awesome moves. If you're looking for a small side scrolling game, choose this!

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Spoiler

L76f6f3.png

It is not I completely dislike this game, but I immediatly stopped after playing the first time. I though this game to be more complete than it is. Plus, not only that, but early on, you get a lot of beating, and this game looks really, really challenging. Bought this game without thinking twice and not a game that I might resume so soon. The platinum is challenging, but if you're not looking to get this game's platinum, you have very few things to do. Beat a story and some challenges, which is something pretty quick. I would prefer an hack and slash game where you keep your level and upgrade your character little by little. Always starting a dungeon on lv1 makes me feel "Urgh... Farming up again?". Not that I don't like hack and slash or anime style games, but maybe this game might not be for me. At least for now.

Best Platinum of the Year

Spoiler

spacer.pngL7f0de7.png

This platinum is not hard. Still, it was my very first platinum from my first game ever. I really loved this game and recommend it as one of the first games to have for PS4 (also Second Son). The game is beautiful, and at first I thought that the platinum was hard, due to the high scores to attain. Still, after upgrading Fetch a lot, I found out that I could this quite easily by constantly playing at the arena and completing challenges to upgrade as fast as I could.

You know what they: We never forget the first time. ?

Worst Platinum of the Year

Don't have one yet. Too early to name one.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2018

Spoiler

L764754.pngLfad333.png

I love RPGs. Period. And these are two RPGs in my backlog that I know I will like and enjoy to play. These are two "must-play" for 2018, so I hope to get their platinums!

Edited by Caju_94
  • Like 2

On 2-1-2018 at 7:06 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

cRmi7oS.png

Batman (PS3)

1Ld96464.png

I like Tell Tale and I love Batman so this was a no brainer but man did this fall HARD. 

I really was enjoying the story for about 80% of the game until the last chapter and that just nose dived. The main villain is so stupid and the "plot twist" falls apart if you think about it for 2 seconds.

I could forgive that though if the game even functioned a little bit. My game froze or crashed so many times I lost count. It would freeze up so bad it forced me to restart the chapter as I froze and saved on a black screen. It corrupted my save data twice and it got to the point if I missed a command (which the game lagged at every time) it would freeze my console trying to restart.

The cherry on the sundae came when I went to plat this game today for Plat Rain and found it had erased my save data AGAIN. I had to replay all of episode 5 again and as I mentioned that was the only episode I absolutely hated.

REO5sp8.png

Batman

1Ld96464.png

I know some people thought Ride to Hell was going to get this spot but that game's badness was blown out of proportion. I mean it was a steaming pile of shit but it functioned (more or less) and the story, characters, glitches were more funny than bad (I mean they were bad but they weren't Fairy Tale Fights bad). 

No the Wurst Plat has to go to the game that made me curse the most and for a LONG time that was going to be Sorcery Saga. If Batman had functioned like every other Tell Tale game I have played then Sorcery Saga would be claiming this award. 

But for all the game breaking and save corrupting glitches Batman takes the turd. 

That being said, this game is free on PS4 this month and I am going to actually double plat it because I want to see if the PS4 version is as broken as the PS3 version. I just have to see if it can redeem itself from Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer.

Didn't TellTale Batman came to PS+ this month? If so, I might skip it after reading this.

On 2-1-2018 at 7:06 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

ZFFpcSC.png

Okabu

Dozerbot Devastor

6L3fe661.png

Okabu was a much shorter grind than Sorcery Saga but even dumber. I beat the game with all the medals and beat all the mini games and I still hadn't earned the 1000 kill trophy...and Dozerbot Devastator requires 5000 kills. That means after beating the game 100% I was still down 4000 kills. The best level to grind out had 32 enemies in it and it took about 10 minutes to beat ever single time. Do the fucking math.

Seems like we had similar experiences for Grind of the Year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Didn't TellTale Batman came to PS+ this month? If so, I might skip it after reading this.

Seems like we had similar experiences for Grind of the Year.

Well I am hoping the PS4 version isn't so broken. Game of Thrones ran perfectly on the PS4..but yeah google the PS3 version and you will get dozens of threads complaining about it.

As for Grind of they Year, why do developers put that kind of stuff in. If I beat your game twice then I should probably be done with the Kills (in Okabu you have to play almost each level twice to get all the medals)

Piece of Cake Award

Spoiler

1000 Top Rated - Holy crap this is just sad to have on my profile... Oh well.

It's Like Dark Souls

Spoiler

Hmm, this is tough for me as I took it pretty easy in regards to difficulty of games. I'll say Ether One as the puzzles in the game were not easy to figure out even with a guide!

Bad Ass Award

Spoiler

My moment this year was when I was going for "Don't get cocky kid" in Dead Space. I tried for about 2 hours to shoot those asteroids, and literally jumped for joy when I got it!

Grind of the Year

Spoiler

Didn't play too many grindy games, but I'd have to go with Farming Simulator 18 - going for 100 harvested acres.

King of the Internet

Spoiler

I hardly play online, but when I played Watch_Dogs 2 I had some fun with some Co-op partners on some missions there.

Worst Online Experience

Spoiler

Nothing for me on this one

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Spoiler

The game is a couple of years old, but I had a blast playing The Talos Principle. The puzzles in that game were really fun to figure out!

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Spoiler

Hatoful Boyfriend. Got it from PS+ and I said, "what the hell did I just play" when I was finished with it.

Best Platinum of the Year

Spoiler

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I felt that Chloe's story was fun and I enjoyed getting the plat from start to finish.

Worst Platinum of the Year

Spoiler

1000 Top Rated. Kind of embarrassed I have it, but such is life.

Favorite Game of the Year!

Spoiler

South Park: The Fractured But Whole. Had a blast playing it!

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2018

Spoiler

I know it's going to be an easy one, but I cannot wait for The Wolf Among Us 2! I loved that game years ago, and I can't wait to play Bigsby's story this year!

On 12/5/2017 at 2:35 PM, ragnarok2887 said:

King of the Internet: Battlefield 1

L3851fb.png

Generally most games these days have a decent online experience, and from the games I've played this year I probably had the most fun in Battlefield 1.  Not too grindy, not overly hard, but still offering a challenge whilst being genuinely fun.  Add in the fact that Battlefield games tend to focus more on the group dynamic rather than the lone wolf (what's my K/D ratio), making it a great online game.

Worst Online Experience: Battlefield Hardline

Ld78bf8.png

I really enjoyed the campaign, but almost instantly hated the multiplayer of this game.  It wasn't helped by the fact that there aren't as many people still playing this these days (which is interesting as plenty still play Battlefield 4), and the different modes are kind of weird.  I gave the game a chance, but honestly haven't been this put off by on online game before - I hated it.  Didn't bother with the platinum for this one.

I know that I am in the minority but those would be flipped for me. I love Hardline's multiplayer and found this spin-off to be a fresh take on the series and a good break from Battlefield 4. I haven't played it for a few months though so I can't comment on the online population but I can see it being less enjoyable if you don't have full servers.

Battlefield 1 on the other hand, I can barely stand playing it. I bought the season pass  and can't even be bothered to play it. It seems like they made it more casual compared to Battlefield 4 and to me it seemed like Dice brought in some elements from the first Battlefront game which they should not have because Battlefront is a casual shooter while Battlefield games are more competitive. I'm not saying that casual shooters are bad. It is just not what I am looking for when I am playing a Battlefield game

Edited by lordzeze
  • Like 1

xYkGfKI.pngLe0dce4.png

I enjoyed the story so much that I wasn't even thinking trophies. The end of episode 5 hit me in the feels. That's how immersed I was in it. Reuben is my hero. <3  

gl2oT0D.pngL1a7bbb.png

In all honesty, I played a couple games that made me really mad but with how the remaster was done with the Crash trilogy, you know.. making those hit/detection boxes as small as a pin head.. I went with the first of the series. I raged more at the BS in this than the other two. Remember The High Road? Yeah, I have a video of me doing it and slightly cheesing it due to the fact I spent 4!!! hours trying to get the gold relic. I swear that can NOT be done legit. And yet, once the DLC level came out, I had that done in less time both gem run AND relic run. They said it was hard.. pfft. The High Road can still kiss my rump more than that level and the rest of the games combined.

bs6ooqn.pngL764754.png

Everything about this game is bad ass. Nothing else needs to be said.

ZFFpcSC.png

I have a 3 way tie for this one:

1. Nom Nom Galaxy - NEVER play this. Seriously. You will feel immediate regret. I do have to thank my buddy Anthony for helping me get the plat.

2. 7 Days to Die - Due to the 2500 player kills. I did it with two controllers/accounts pre-patch and spent three days straight blowing up my opponent with pipe bombs and blasting Rush on my laptop.

3. Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator - It was fun at first but getting trophies made it annoying. Getting them was left up to the RNG gods BUT I had found out the developer made it harder on Playstation, which in turn made me think they're a bunch of a-holes. I also spent three days on one trophy due to the massive BS RNG: composing the phrase "Your wife is interested in photography, nudge nudge!" I swear to shit.. THREE DAYS of working to get the phrase in which I got screwed out of five times. I was just glad it was over at that point.

9Qcj0Sn.pngLea96d2.png

Before anyone hates, I don't really play online games. One of my long time friends lent me his account to get this for free 99 because he knew I didn't want to pay for it. I played this with all my old friends from Destiny one and actually enjoyed it more than the first game. The satisfaction I felt when I (we) beat Callus for the first time was just like the satisfaction I felt when I (we) had beaten Oryx for the first (and only) time.

cBvB66k.pngLf70454.png

This game is trash anyways but when there are like five 'online' trophies to get and the server is broken to all hell, that defies a bad online experience. And anyone who has played this and had trouble KNOWS what I'm talking about. If this game had pvp, I wouldn't have even touched it.

1sBtckq.pngLafecec.png

I went into this completely blind and came out loving every second of it. Not sure how many people have heard of Valley but if you haven't, it's a game worth picking up. I didn't think it was going to be as good as it was but it was fun. I really liked the suit and the mechanics it gives you. I think it was really well done and more people should give it a go.

cRmi7oS.pngLf70454.pngLc48299.png

Skyforge is free. Just Cause 3 was free on plus. I HATE THEM BOTH. I had gotten Skyforge to play with friends.. That lasted all of a week when they all stopped playing.. Then I started to realize it wasn't a F2P (unless you want to grind your ass off more than ESO) but more a P2P so you could get all the characters ASAP and possibly solo everything. It's ridiculously hard to do anything alone, I've tried. Not to mention the actual story campaigns (yes plural), I believe are all season related which means you'd have to grind it for at least a year, just about everyday to get the plat. No thank you. Some of us actually have a life outside of our gaming ones.

Just Cause 3 is effin' stupid. Felt like I was playing Far Cry 2 all over again. I tried and tried to keep going and I just couldn't. Maybe one day I'll finish it but I'll never touch games like that again. EVER. 

gnHxJFF.png

L764754.pngLaa5e99.pngLc2938e.png

All three of these games were my favs of 2017. Out of all the games I played, I immensely enjoyed these the most. Still need all of their DLC but I'm waiting to see if any of them will go on sale for once.

REO5sp8.pngL1eea15.png

Out of them all, this game made me lose my shit more than Oh...Sir! did. And because of this game, I will never play something from Pixel Junk ever again. PERIOD. 

It is one of my top UR plats so that's the only thing I am proud of.

7daiPmv.png

Honestly, I don't even know. As I'm typing this, I've been playing The Evil Within 2 for a couple days and I really like it. Quite possibly even more than the fist game (which trophy wise I still have to finish). I have such a huge backlog and that doesn't even count games that aren't out, whether they have a release day or not. I will say that I am looking forward to Death Stranding (day one purchase for me as it has been pre-ordered since August), Days Gone and The Last of Us Part 2 in the future but I guess to answer what the most anticipated plat of 2018 is, it's going to have to wait. Who knows what surprises 2018 has in store. It's only just begun. ;) 

• Like 1

Piece of Cake: Puzzle Showdown 4K

Spoiler

I played a bunch of easy games this year, but this one was my favorite. I love jigsaw puzzles and was a frequent user of Jigzone's online puzzles. Having this available on the PS4 was like a dream come true for me.

It's Like Dark Souls: Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom

Spoiler

I personally don't compare many games to Dark Souls apart from other Souls games/Nioh (because I don't think the Souls games are that hard), but this one is the closest comparison. Having to beat the game with no upgrades all while the game has horrible hit detection and horrible controls was no easy task.

Badass Moment:

Spoiler

I'd have to say my badass moment of the year was platinuming Rayman Legends, Star Wars Battlefront, and Saints Row: Gat out of Hell on the same day that just so happened to be the day Destiny 2 came out. I started Rayman in late April '17 and was completely aware that it would take a while to do the online challenges for Awesomeness 11. While finishing everything apart from that quite early I still logged in every single day to do the challenges, with the exception of April 28th and 29th because I was out of town. During August there was a sale going on the store where the Ultimate Edition of Battlefront was on sale for $10. While I was very unsure if I wanted to play the game, how can anyone pass up a deal that good? I managed to get everything done and wanted to leave Level 50 for my last trophy, along with the fact that I was sitting at 174 plats at this point and wasn't sure what I wanted to be #175. In the meantime at the end of August I decided I'd start up Gat out of Hell just for the sake of something else to play; all the while still doing my Rayman challenges every day and over the course of the past 4 months getting better at the game to start consistently earning golds. Then as I was tallying up how many points/golds I needed to be finished, I realized that if I got two golds a day plus my weekly golds I'd reach Awesomeness 11 on September 6, the day Destiny 2 was coming out. With that knowledge, only needing level 50 in Battlefront and being 40-something at the time, and only having a few more things left to do in Gat Out of Hell, I decided that I would pop all of those plats at the same time on September 6, with Rayman being #175.

Grind of the Year: Rayman Legends

Spoiler

Logging in to play challenges every day for 4 months, 1 week, and 4 days was a grind in every sense of the word.

King of the Internet: Battlefield 1

Spoiler

Ahh Battlefield. I love these games and love the fact that I'm decent enough at them to not need to boost anything for them (the only exception being Complete Warrior in BF3). Of all the online games I play I always enjoy the experience I have with them.

Worst Online Experience: Star Wars Battlefront

Spoiler

This has nothing to do with the game itself, which I really enjoyed. This is entirely about the experience I had boosting XP to get from level 50 to 100. Like Battlefield, I was decent enough at the game to do all the mp related stuff on my own accord without the need for boosting sessions. I had originally planned to do 50-100 the same way, but due to playing another game at the time (Destiny 2 :facepalm:) I missed the week of double xp and wanted to get the game to 100% before Battlefront 2 was released. Long story short, the people I met and dealt with made it the worst 4 days of gaming I've had in a very long time.

Sleeper Hit of the Year: This War of Mine: The Little Ones

Spoiler

I REALLY enjoyed this game. The atmosphere, the interaction between the characters, the risk vs reward of who you send on a run and who you make stay at home was incredible. It felt like The Last of Us, Fallout, and The Walking Dead all ended up in the same universe. I highly recommend this game.

Biggest Bomb of the Year: Destiny 2

Spoiler

There are no two ways about it: this game is awful. As a Destiny 1 veteran and with as many problems there were through D1's lifetime, this is NOT what we should've gotten as a sequel. We should not have things taken away from us and drip fed back through paywalls all for Bungie to sit there and act like it was really innovative on their part. I will see the season pass through to the end of it's content release, but come September when they announce what I call  "The Taken King 2", they will have to make some MAJOR changes if they expect a buy from me, completion % be damned.

Best Plat of the Year: The Evil Within

Spoiler

Easily one of my favorite games I've ever played. I loved every aspect and had so much fun during the time I played it. Akumu mode surprised me in that it wasn't as hard as I'd built it up in my head to be. I was also super excited that after having played it during the month of May, the following month at E3 they announced the sequel.

Worst Plat of the Year: Table Top Racing World Tour & LittleBigPlanet 3

Spoiler

Where do I start?

TTR was an absolute chore to play not just for the fact that it has bad controls, but THE AMOUNT OF JUNK ON THE TRACK. So many times I'd be in 1st place or doing really well in a time trial only for it to be thrown away because I bumped into a dinner roll or a soda can.

LittleBigPlanet 3 was nowhere near as excruciating as above, but it was still a chore because I simply didn't enjoy it. There is just no denying the fact that Media Molecule is what really made the first two, in the same way that Dark Souls 2 not having Miyazaki made me enjoy it less. It lacked the charm of the first two. Not to mention the game has it's fair share of technical issues (none of which I ran into thankfully) and an overall bland story and annoying characters. All of these things added to the overall unpleasant experience. The only justification I have for both games is that they were free and because of that I didn't mind paying for the DLC.

Most Anticipated Plat of 2018:

Not Released: The Last of Us Part 2

Spoiler

What can I say? My body is ready for the superb experience I know the game will be.

I Currently Own: The Evil Within 2

Spoiler

Due to other games taking up my time (again...Destiny 2 :facepalm:) I couldn't make enough time to sit down and play this properly. All the waiting will just make it that much more enjoyable when I get around to playing it.

• 2 months later...

Nothing quite like posting a my picks months late this time :D Had a lot of games I had been waiting for this year (including the "conclusions" of The Longest Journey/Dreamfall and Syberia), so overall this year was great. As for these specific awards, see below:

Piece of Cake Award:

Spoiler

My Name is Mayo. Easy pick, easy platinum. Just click away while changing the jar's look once in a while.

It's Like Dark Souls:

Spoiler

I didn't really get any tough platinums in 2017, so... I guess Romancing SaGa 2 since I had no trophy guide for it and it had some interesting trophy requirements?

Bad Ass Award:

Spoiler

Can't think of anything special (maybe something in DC Universe Online or something?), so I'll just go with getting through the 100 stages of the trials in Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age on the first try after I decided that I would attempt it next xD Some of the end stages made me nervous.

Grind of the Year:

Spoiler

Hmm, there were several ones in 2017, but not too many :P I guess I'll go with either "The Big Thinker" in Everything or the trophy for maxing all abilities in Dream Drop Distance.

King of the Internet:

Spoiler

Barely played any multiplayer experiences that would have ended with me getting a new platinum, so this one goes to a game I haven't (yet) finished getting the platinum for: Friday the 13th. I've had a blast everytime I've played it with strangers or friends I met in the game. I had never used a microphone in console multiplayer, this game made me finally do that :)

Worst Online Experience:

Spoiler

Digimon World: Next Order's "multiplayer" is not interactive at all... so it's kind of disappointing :( DC Universe Online also had its annoying moments (being voted to randomly be kicked while playing... and my brother did not get voted to be kicked xD).

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

Spoiler

The Invisible Hours or the Planet of the Apes: The Last Frontier although I played a bunch of other, fantastic non-AAA games (Kona, Thimbleweed Park, Silence, etc). TIH is a VR-only (for now) game from the makers of The Sexy Brutale and it's yet another fantastic game from them. This Planet of the Apes game (not to be confused with the upcoming VR one) is not to everyone's tastes, but I liked it a bunch even if I had to play through it way too many times while trying to figure out how to unlock my last trophies.

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

Spoiler

That's You! is the one I disliked the most :P Too grindy, local only when it comes to the 6 player trophies. It was pretty annoying trophy-wise. Otherwise it was a decent, free game (I even got to play with a PSN friend I don't usually play with). I played mainly in English, but tried out the Finnish language version at my sister's place... not as good :P (

Best Plat of the Year:

Spoiler

If this would allow 100% lists, I would pick 8-bit Adventure Anthology: Volume I... but it doesn't, so I'll go with Thimbleweed Park instead :D It was mostly a fun trophy list (and game!).

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer:

Spoiler

That's You! when it came to the grind and 6 player local xD

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2018:

Spoiler

I had a few options for this going into 2018. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory, Dissidia NT, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Ni No Kuni 2. I have the Digimon platinum by now (loved it), missing two grindy trophies in Dissidia (hoping for a double treasure special event or something xD), and the rest are currently unreleased :) Digimon was the game I was honesty most looking forward to, so I've already at least happily got that done :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zadorvp said:

Nothing quite like posting a my picks months late this time :D Had a lot of games I had been waiting for this year (including the "conclusions" of The Longest Journey/Dreamfall and Syberia), so overall this year was great. As for these specific awards, see below:

Piece of Cake Award:

Hide contents

My Name is Mayo. Easy pick, easy platinum. Just click away while changing the jar's look once in a while.

It's Like Dark Souls:

Hide contents

I didn't really get any tough platinums in 2017, so... I guess Romancing SaGa 2 since I had no trophy guide for it and it had some interesting trophy requirements?

Bad Ass Award:

Hide contents

Can't think of anything special (maybe something in DC Universe Online or something?), so I'll just go with getting through the 100 stages of the trials in Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age on the first try after I decided that I would attempt it next xD Some of the end stages made me nervous.

Grind of the Year:

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm, there were several ones in 2017, but not too many :P I guess I'll go with either "The Big Thinker" in Everything or the trophy for maxing all abilities in Dream Drop Distance.

King of the Internet:

Reveal hidden contents

Barely played any multiplayer experiences that would have ended with me getting a new platinum, so this one goes to a game I haven't (yet) finished getting the platinum for: Friday the 13th. I've had a blast everytime I've played it with strangers or friends I met in the game. I had never used a microphone in console multiplayer, this game made me finally do that :)

Worst Online Experience:

Reveal hidden contents

Digimon World: Next Order's "multiplayer" is not interactive at all... so it's kind of disappointing :( DC Universe Online also had its annoying moments (being voted to randomly be kicked while playing... and my brother did not get voted to be kicked xD).

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

Hide contents

The Invisible Hours or the Planet of the Apes: The Last Frontier although I played a bunch of other, fantastic non-AAA games (Kona, Thimbleweed Park, Silence, etc). TIH is a VR-only (for now) game from the makers of The Sexy Brutale and it's yet another fantastic game from them. This Planet of the Apes game (not to be confused with the upcoming VR one) is not to everyone's tastes, but I liked it a bunch even if I had to play through it way too many times while trying to figure out how to unlock my last trophies.

Biggest Bomb of the Year:

Hide contents

That's You! is the one I disliked the most :P Too grindy, local only when it comes to the 6 player trophies. It was pretty annoying trophy-wise. Otherwise it was a decent, free game (I even got to play with a PSN friend I don't usually play with). I played mainly in English, but tried out the Finnish language version at my sister's place... not as good :P (

Best Plat of the Year:

Hide contents

If this would allow 100% lists, I would pick 8-bit Adventure Anthology: Volume I... but it doesn't, so I'll go with Thimbleweed Park instead :D It was mostly a fun trophy list (and game!).

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer:

Hide contents

That's You! when it came to the grind and 6 player local xD

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2018:

Hide contents

I had a few options for this going into 2018. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory, Dissidia NT, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Ni No Kuni 2. I have the Digimon platinum by now (loved it), missing two grindy trophies in Dissidia (hoping for a double treasure special event or something xD), and the rest are currently unreleased :) Digimon was the game I was honesty most looking forward to, so I've already at least happily got that done :D

Better late than pregnant :)

I think next year it will be called the Piece of Mayo award for the easy plat :P

• Like 1