Tips for Beating Old Hunter Gehrman

Hi_Its_Jo

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on beating Gehrman.

I've been on him for about a week now and have only got him down to 50% a couple of times.

I'm using a 10+ Saw Cleaver (the only weapon I've used all game)

Any help would be gratefully received. 

For what ever reason I found him and the secret boss to be the easiest.  He telegraphs all his moves making them easier to dodge than most bosses even though they are quick and deal high damage.  I used the saw cleaver as well the first time I took him on but I sway to the axe for the sheer knock down power it has.  Also, utilize your blunderbuss, if you haven't leveled it up as high as you can you're giving yourself a handicap, being able to stun him mid swing will make the fight 100% easier.  Finally, I would suggest doing dungeons to level up and get stronger if you are still having trouble.  

Hope anything I said helps, it's been a while since I've played Bloodborne but I have gone through the game at least 10 times now 

Try to work out the timing for parrying him - once you get that you can kill him with a few parry-critical hits. 

It's a little counter-intuitive, but I found that I had more success getting up in his face when he's doing his quick melee attacks and staying at distance when he decides to take pot-shots at you and waiting for him to come to you at the end of his combo. If you're in his face, then you can wail on him and eventually stagger him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

Whenever he moves towards you just shoot, all hunters and humanoid bosses can be easily beaten like that :D except the three that attack you at once, fuck them .i. 

My girlfriend refers to them as "The Yharnam Boys". lol

I didn't see anyone mention this so I just want to add that your equipped runes are very important. If you are going to riposte the boss you can even get health back for the visceral followup with some of the runes.

• Like 2

Hum... he is hard but it's not supposed to be THAT hard. Which level are you on? and can you give more details on your build? I never played with the saw cleaver but it scales with C on strength in it's maximum attribute, so you might wanna put a lot of strength points in leveling up. I did strenght build before but i used the hunter axe, you also need to put gems in the weapon that elevates the scaling, to A at best, S scaling is hard to get with gems, only certain speacials weapons are going that high in scaling when leveled up, and such high scaling gems can only be found in dungeons. The scaling "letters" works as multipliers for the attribute, the higher, the bigger the damage. Take some time leveling up in the dungeons, maybe it will help.

3 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

I beat him over the summer and uploaded this video of it on youtube on a burner account back them, maybe it'll help. That's why I uploaded every boss fight - to help people. So I hope it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhveE7rwgEA

I'm not a especially good player, but theres a rythm to the fight, and advanced dodging is a must. Theres a item called Old Hunter Bone that when equiped makes you turn into fog when you dodge, and it is necessary for the fight imo. He also appeared to be weak against lightening/electricity.

Good Job! This reminded me my first playthru! Also i have to say, you didn't use the gun? because you wanted to use only the hunter's bone? i'll try to upload my video later, i will need to back up the save because i haven't started the dungeons yet... I went to check the Tonitrus and i was surprised to see it's a bolt strength built weapon. What a let down! i was hoping for arcane...

48 minutes ago, RVMcypress_grave said:

My girlfriend refers to them as "The Yharnam Boys". lol

I didn't see anyone mention this so I just want to add that your equipped runes are very important. If you are going to riposte the boss you can even get health back for the visceral followup with some of the runes.

:D!

the boys are piece of cake when you bring 3 boys yourself! :giggle: (but not the npcs, real players!)

You all can check weapons scaling and attributes in here:
http://bloodborne.wikidot.com/weapons

• Like 2

Might sound like an elitist prick or something, but I didn't find the boss hard whatsoever. It was decent fun, but it ended way too fast and I felt it was way too easy. I do have video clips from it, so I guess I can back it up with that when I get around to uploading it.

And he's first hunter, not old hunter.

Oh, here we go:

I guess since this is the true ending, I put it in a spoiler tag:

I guess judging by my videos, they are all weak to fire.

Edited by MMDE

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

@MMDE well, technically he is old :giggle:1f601.png. Good vid. Strenght build right?

It's basically the saw weapon build. idk :P Can't remember anymore. But stamina and health is important too. The saw is rather fast, and I think it's especially good against human enemies. I think it's slash damage, some weapons have two different damage types though depending on how the weapon is used. Yeah, people don't usually pay attention to damage type. xD 

Edited by MMDE

• 3 weeks later...

I got to him at 75 with a +10 Holy Blade and +6 pistol. Buff fire or bolt, and parry counter him for about 1500 damage a pop. Bait his two+ swing combos and hit him as he starts the second one. 

During phase two alway strafe slightly when you're backing away because his cannon will always stagger you, though he rarely is able to take advantage of it.

During phase 3 just keep playing safe, and baiting his combos to wreck him. You can maybe get a shot as he's getting up from your visceral, but if you mis-time it things can go bad quickly. 

Using bone ash will severely raise your bullet damage, though it doesn't last all that long. If you get him close you could always buff up and just take shots at him.

Foe runes I used more Stam, both hp on parry runes, and the faster stamina regen. Getting hp back on a successful riposte means you can afford to trade a hit for a stagger every time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 0:58 PM, MMDE said:

Me and a mate fought him a bunch of times in a row (getting our endings), for each other. We were getting hammered most of the time. One of the times we beat him, we had him up in the corner like you did hear, and it was an absolute breeze. Getting him up there was pure arse though, we tried a bunch of times to get him up there, just couldn't do it, lol.

Edited by LukaLaurent

49 minutes ago, LukaLaurent said:

Me and a mate fought him a bunch of times in a row (getting our endings), for each other. We were getting hammered most of the time. One of the times we beat him, we had him up in the corner like you did hear, and it was an absolute breeze. Getting him up there was pure arse though, we tried a bunch of times to get him up there, just couldn't do it, lol.

haha, but I did the boss 3 times I think, and I found all of them to be a breeze. Maybe do the chalice dungeons first?

Edited by MMDE

On 2/2/2018 at 6:11 PM, MMDE said:

haha, but I did the boss 3 times I think, and I found all of them to be a breeze. Maybe do the chalice dungeons first?

Yeah would've been an idea, but we got there in the end.

I personally just suck against hunters. Give me a giant ass boss anyday, lol.

On 12/12/2017 at 0:43 PM, MMDE said:

It's basically the saw weapon build. idk :P Can't remember anymore. But stamina and health is important too. The saw is rather fast, and I think it's especially good against human enemies. I think it's slash damage, some weapons have two different damage types though depending on how the weapon is used. Yeah, people don't usually pay attention to damage type. xD 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:58 PM, MMDE said:

Might sound like an elitist prick or something, but I didn't find the boss hard whatsoever. It was decent fun, but it ended way too fast and I felt it was way too easy. I do have video clips from it, so I guess I can back it up with that when I get around to uploading it.

Oh, here we go:

Reveal hidden contents

You seem like you're very overleveled in the video. I remember that explosion thing he does one-shotting me at close to max health and I was level 100ish at the end. It could just be build differences of course.

For the OP. I mostly used the axe. I never got very good at the parry, so it think it took a lot of deaths to find when to dodge, how many swings I could safely get in before I needed to back away. I also found it more effective to go opposite of his weapon length. I started with the long axe and took advantage of the extra reach. Then when he extended his weapon, I went to the short version because the speed difference made hitting him more reliable. The fight for me was definitely slower than MMDE's. It was like dodge, swing twice, dodge swing one, circle around, dodge, swing thrice, etc. 

52 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

You seem like you're very overleveled in the video. I remember that explosion thing he does one-shotting me at close to max health and I was level 100ish at the end. It could just be build differences of course.

For the OP. I mostly used the axe. I never got very good at the parry, so it think it took a lot of deaths to find when to dodge, how many swings I could safely get in before I needed to back away. I also found it more effective to go opposite of his weapon length. I started with the long axe and took advantage of the extra reach. Then when he extended his weapon, I went to the short version because the speed difference made hitting him more reliable. The fight for me was definitely slower than MMDE's. It was like dodge, swing twice, dodge swing one, circle around, dodge, swing thrice, etc. 

I had done the Chalice Dungeons first. Really, just do that first, you level up a lot from that. There's no online level range either.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 8:55 PM, Joker said:

Did you play The Old Hunters? I found Ludwig to be the hardest boss in the game, but that is highly subjective. Really fucking awesome DLC btw.

I literally just finished playing it around 10 minutes ago now, lol. Excellent DLC.

I agree, Ludwig hardest boss in the DLC, though Maria really gave me a run for my money. Ludwig I did take in an NPC hunter though which helped drastically.

The boss I would consider the hardest would've been either Gehrman (as I said, I suck with hunters), or the Blood Starved Beast. For whatever reason, I struggled so badly through that fight. I guess it was early on in the game, I was cautious about using my insight for NPC hunters (not realising how much insight you can really end up with), and also he had traumatised me from the previous time I played a bit of Bloodborne - basically he's the bane of my existence, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I had trouble with him at level 70.  I quit the game for a few months.. then I came back and did all the dungeons... leveled up to 125 through all the work in the dungeons then I flattened Gehrman like a pancake on my first try lol..  So Just level up to around 120..  The dungeons will make you more skilled then after bye bye gehrman!

On 06/12/2017 at 1:58 AM, MMDE said:

Oh, here we go:

Reveal hidden contents

As usual, I agree with you MMDE. I dont think Gerhman killed me once either. The abhorrent and headless beasts in the dungeons are what I found to be the most  challenging parts of the game.