Have Sony improved their PS2 emulator for PS4 Pro?

Undead Wolf

I was under the impression that PS2 classics looked and performed the exact same across the standard PS4 and the PS4 Pro - at least I hadn't heard anything to the contrary. However, I started to question this after seeing the release date announcement for Jak II, Jak 3, and Jak X: Combat Racing on the PS Blog. In the blog post they showed off a number of screenshots and it quite clearly says "4K images are from PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro and 4K display device required to view in 4K". See below for an example.

38755087261_46fb4d74b0_b.jpg

Link to PS Blog post

So my question is are these games actually in 4K on PS4 Pro? If so, will all future PS2 classics on PS4 Pro be in 4K too? What about PS2 classics released before the PS4 Pro came out?

Microsoft have excellent backwards compatibility support on Xbox One and they have previously announced that original Xbox games will run at 16x the resolution they did on native hardware when emulated on Xbox One X (more info here). It's not outside the realm of possibility to consider Sony would do something similar with PS2 classics on PS4 Pro. If not native 4K, then at least a higher resolution than they are on the standard PS4.

Can anybody confirm Jak II, Jak 3, and Jak X: Combat Racing's resolution is higher on PS4 Pro? I hope this isn't old news, but like I said previously, I haven't heard Sony mention anything about improved PS2 emulation on PS4 Pro, which is why these images kind of caught me off guard.

I think all Share images are upscaled to 4K on a Pro. I just took a pic on Just Cause 3 and it says it was 3840 x 2160. I do wonder if Boost Mode would have any effect though.

Edit: I think a dev was in the comments and said - it upscales to 1080P from the original game resolution. We pushed the frame rate improvements where possible as far as we could.

PortableKingpin said:

December 1st, 5:23 pm

it upscales to 1080P from the original game resolution. We pushed the frame rate improvements where possible as far as we could.

6 minutes ago, Parker said:

Nah these are the Emulated PS2 games. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/jak-and-daxter-ps2-classics-coming-to-ps4-later-this-year/

Edited by skateak
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

Unless I'm mistaken, these aren't PS2 Classics. These particular games have been specifically remastered for PS4 and as such, they will have PS4 Pro support. I don't believe PS2 Classics have PS4 Pro support. 

Parker

As @skateak says. These are emulated PS2 games, nothing specifically remastered in any way for PS4.

I got a PS4 pro and 4k TV, so maybe I can try to figure out if the emulator upscales to 4k and not just 1080p on the pro.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skateak said:

Nah these are the Emulated PS2 games.

I could've sworn that PS2 Classics were labeled as such, but looking on the PlayStation Store it seems like that is only for the PS3. So it seems like you're correct, my bad for bad information. 

Parker

• Like 1

I think PS4 Pro naturally upscales to 4k when the source is lower. It does with games that doesn't have a 4k patch. How much better the image gets by this from PS2 emulation, I don't know. One can hope it doesn't go through the upscaling process twice, as I would think it could produce more artifacts etc.

Edited by MMDE

13 hours ago, MMDE said:

I think PS4 Pro naturally upscales to 4k when the source is lower. It does with games that doesn't have a 4k patch. How much better the image gets by this from PS2 emulation, I don't know. One can hope it doesn't go through the upscaling process twice, as I would think it could produce more artifacts etc.

Good to know. I guess these "4K images" they refer to are just upscaled then. Pretty misleading, but they do advertise the PS4 Pro as a 4K console when the vast majority of games don't reach anywhere near that resolution. I should have figured Sony wouldn't bother making PS2 emulation on the Pro 4K (or something close to) considering how lacklustre the PS2 classic support has been thus far. I just want them to do something similar to Microsoft when it comes to supporting games from previous console generations. :(

44 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Good to know. I guess these "4K images" they refer to are just upscaled then. Pretty misleading, but they do advertise the PS4 Pro as a 4K console when the vast majority of games don't reach anywhere near that resolution. I should have figured Sony wouldn't bother making PS2 emulation on the Pro 4K (or something close to) considering how lacklustre the PS2 classic support has been thus far. I just want them to do something similar to Microsoft when it comes to supporting games from previous console generations. :(

I think Sony has a policy of every games released after a certain period must have 4k patch / textures I think. A lot of games do have 4k patches! :P Either way, it looks great, but I also got an OLED screen, so that helps a lot too. xD

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

I think Sony has a policy of every games released after a certain period must have 4k patch / textures I think. A lot of games do have 4k patches! :P Either way, it looks great, but I also got an OLED screen, so that helps a lot too. xD

It can't be mandatory because I've seen a couple of games that released without Pro enhancements; the most recent example I can think of being The Evil Within 2 (although it got a Pro patch later on). And yeah, a lot of games do have Pro enhancements these days, but that doesn't mean native 4K. The Pro isn't that much more powerful than a base PS4 where it could handle such a huge resolution boost on the majority of games. Most of the time it's just a boost to 1440p and maybe some checkerboard rendering if we're lucky.