Do you buy gaming magazines?

Lava_Yuki

Do you buy gaming magazines and of so, which is your favourite magazine and why?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which gaming magazine is your favourite and why?

• EDGE
    • GamesMaster
    • Official Playstation/Nintendo/Xbox Magazine
    • Game Informer
    • Famitsu or Dengeki
    • Games TM
    • Nintendo Force/ Nintendo Dream/ Other Nintendo magazine
    • PC Gamer
    • PLAY
    • Other (please state)

I occasionally buy them as some of the reviews are interesting and the interviews, making of... sections and info on new consoles/ gaming accessories etc. My favourite is probably Games TM as it is multi format and a lot of reviews. EDGE is also interesting in that I like the interview sections with game developers but a lot of the magazine is more technical and seems to aim more at people in the gaming industry. When in Japan I liked Famistu the best as they had a lot of RPG and FF related stuff. 

Does anyone here buy gaming magazines and if so which ones, or even just stand and read them in the shop if they are not plastic wrapped?

• Like 1

I keep my Gamestop Pro Rewards dealy going almost strictly for the Game Informer subscription.

1. $15 for a year of magazines is a great deal.  (I find myself occasionally leveraging the trade in bonuses and preowned discounts of being a Pro member as well.)

2. Considering I'm not afraid to buy a decent number of new games most years... and occasionally do things like butt in on friends/families new console purchases, trade in games that aren't selling for enough to be worth the effort on eBay, pick up preowned if its in great condition and the price is right, etc... I occasionally stumble into enough points in a year to renew with no out of pocket cost.

3. Warts aside, I find critic reviews far less obnoxious and typically more interesting/informative to read than user reviews/feedback.  Though all of it is taken with a heavy load of salt.

4. Great toilet reading material.  Usually has a fair amount of interesting articles and recaps (events, GOTY, platform report cards, etc).

5. It covers all platforms, which is good because I have every platform now.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I get Game Informer with my GameStop Elite Pro membership (I just use my otherwise unused points to keep my membership) and that is it. If I'm at a bookstore and I see a gaming magazine that catches my eye I might pick it up, but other than that, just GI. 

Parker

• Like 1

12 hours ago, savageamusement said:

I was subscribed to PLAY magazine but when they stopped printing physical mags I stopped buying :( shame as I really liked that one a lot but much prefer a printed magazine so I can get away from a mobile/computer/tv screen for a bit, now I’m only subscribed to Reto Gamer magazine, long may the printed word continue!

I used to buy PLAY as well, I still have a super old copy of it from back when it reviewed FFXIII-2 and the PS vita specs before it was released. Although I found their reviews to be quite critical in that they sounded subjective more so than objective. I've flicked through Retro Gamer a few times when something interesting catches my eye like RPG classics. 

14 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I buy local ones, reading them is a different story, though :awesome: 

Though, if I had access to Famitsu or Dengeki, hmmmmmmm :D

I used to read Famitsu, Dengeki and Nintendo Dream when I lived in Japan, although I found Famitsu was the best reviews and packed in a lot of stuff. Nintendo dream sometimes came with freebies which was the main reason I bought it unless they had an article on Pokemon or something. 

15 hours ago, Vrisnem said:

I did early-to-mid teens because I wasn't allowed access to the internet at home until 2004. Nowadays I don't consider it worth the cost. I'd buy GAMES and ONM.

They are fairly pricy, like at least £6 or £7 especially the Official ones which are also plastic wrapped. I saw a some UK subscription sites doing Xmas discounts for yearly subscriptions so was thinking of getting one. I used to buy ONM all the time when I was a kid, but I think they stopped printing now :( 

On 12/8/2017 at 4:58 PM, KingGuy420 said:

I used to subscribe to some but I haven't bought one in years.

I had a Nintendo Power sub for like 8 years then I switched to Official PlayStation Magazine for the demo discs lol. Ever since then I haven't bought many.

Oh man, kids today have no idea the joy of a Demo Disc :) I mean nowadays you can just easily download whatever demo you want but back then I kept my demo discs and would play those levels as if that was the game :P

I mean I only got like 1 or 2 games a year so those demo discs were like getting 15 games at once

• Like 2

• 2 months later...