Has anyone encountered this problem? PS3 control inputs.

SarcalogosVermis

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a problem with my PS3 recently. Every now and then it goes crazy, as if I'm randomly mashing buttons (specifically the d-pad and L1+2 shoulder buttons) at the speed of light. This can last anywhere from a few seconds to minutes, and whilst it eventually seems to correct itself, somewhere down the line it'll happen again, usually if I'm using those buttons. For instance, I've been playing Arkham Origins, and during combat I used to enjoy deploying quickfire explosive gel (L2+square) during fights. I don't do that now, as that often triggers this problem mid-battle - detective mode (L1) will flash on and off randomly, the item selection display goes berzerk, etc.

At first I figured it was a problem with the controller, so I went ahead and got two more on eBay - Sony official dualshock no less - and still have the same problem with both of them! The issue must stem from the console itself, and how it's reading the controller inputs. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? I've tried looking online but everything I find relates to troubleshooting faulty controllers rather that what I'm looking for.

yeah, it is a "common" problem I have encountered recently by myself. definitively extremly annoying if your character in GTA IV jumps out the car or the helicopter at 150 mph.

the solution is simple:

watch me

I did the same as the video creator and it worked quite perfectly. could complete my hunt for GTA IV without any further problems. it seems by pressing the buttons "too" hard you actually slightly tilt the inside of the controller so it loosen up the contacts.

• Like 2

I've started having that problem when playing Dark Souls I on PS3 when using L1 and L2 to do my actions and instead sometimes started doing random inputs put of the D-Pad buttons and it was extremely annoying cause the game is very u unforgiving if you don't do the proper actions in the given time , it can cost your life and starting all over from the beginning of the level . I was apparently happening with a controller and had to switch to otherto not have that problem , also used to happen to me while playing MGS V TPP . Got ride of the supposed faulty controller and apparently still happens , rarely but still on my new controller for the PS3 while playing Bioshock the past weeks . 

1 hour ago, Bobble_DD said:

yeah, it is a "common" problem I have encountered recently by myself. definitively extremly annoying if your character in GTA IV jumps out the car or the helicopter at 150 mph.

the solution is simple:

watch me

I did the same as the video creator and it worked quite perfectly. could complete my hunt for GTA IV without any further problems. it seems by pressing the buttons "too" hard you actually slightly tilt the inside of the controller so it loosen up the contacts.

Thanks - I'll give that a go later. I'll report back when I'm done testing it!

1 hour ago, Sigma999 said:

I've started having that problem when playing Dark Souls I on PS3 when using L1 and L2 to do my actions and instead sometimes started doing random inputs put of the D-Pad buttons and it was extremely annoying cause the game is very u unforgiving if you don't do the proper actions in the given time , it can cost your life and starting all over from the beginning of the level . I was apparently happening with a controller and had to switch to otherto not have that problem , also used to happen to me while playing MGS V TPP . Got ride of the supposed faulty controller and apparently still happens , rarely but still on my new controller for the PS3 while playing Bioshock the past weeks . 

Frustrating isn't it? I was hoping to get Dragon Age Origins soon (bit late to the party haha), and this screw-up would be most unwelcome :/

• 4 months later...

Hmm. I always thought that my controller just became faulty over time due to extended usage. I have 4 PS3 controllers and only the one that originally came with my console started to exhibit this problem a couple of years ago. I'd add to that by saying that pressing L3 will also make a number random presses everywhere on the controller. Extremely problematic if you are on a demanding game that requires perfect inputs on time. I never was able to find a solution for it and considered that the problem was related to a custom battery I installed on the controller by around the same time. The battery had pretty much the same specifications as the one that originally came with the controller, the only difference being an augmented capacity.

On 8/12/2017 at 9:41 AM, Bobble_DD said:

the solution is simple:

watch me

Gonna give a try to the method described in this video next weekend to see if I can finally solve the issues with my controller.

Many thanks!

Edited by Honor_Hand

5 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

More than often on PS3 my character moves on its own. Or the camera is tilted to the side. Restarting the console usually fixes the problem.

I've had this happen to me on the same controller that has the erratic button inputs. I believe it is related to wear on the stick itself by not being able to center properly. I mean, in my case it only has a slight movement to the sides or to the front, depending on the sensitivity of the controls in the game.

It usually fixes itself by turning the controller on and off or just by manually aligning the stick myself.

I had this problem with 2 of my controllers playing Ratchet and Clank 1. It would randomly change weapons and fire at will. My 3rd controller I had did not have this issue and I purchased a new controller and it had been fine. So I assume my problem was my controller and not the system itself.

I have the second model PS3 Slim version, bought it from a Best Buy back in 2013 and I haven't had any problems with it.

The old models were known to have problems, one being the infamous Yellow Light of Death, or YLoD.

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...

So, I did the method described in the video above this past weekend and so far the controller seems to be working good. No more random button inputs.

I went a bit above with the method and used 3M Double Sided tape on the little foam piece that presses the flex cable against the board and used a contact cleaning spray to remove any dirtiness from the board. Everything went smoothly except for the part that I was using a new brand of contact cleaner that reacted poorly with the paint on the controller. Watch out with that!... Anyways, my controller already looks beat up with the mileage it has so another detail here and there it is not a big thing.

Thanks again for the video above. Highly recommend this method if you happen to have random button inputs on your worn-out PS3 controller. ?