Disappointed

maniek515

4 hours ago, Juzota said:

Of course it's fair if a person feels like that the game deserves 6.5. If the scale is from 1 to 10, 6.5 is not that bad anyways. Nowadays it just seems that if game gets a score lower than 8 it's unplayable for some people.

Oh and of course it's about bad taste when someone doesn't like same thing as you.

well, he can have a opinion that horizon deserves 6.5; but i cant say he has bad taste?

ok now explain to me how we MEASURE taste? lol, its by opinions man. there isnt a scientific article explaining it, when you like the same thing as someone you say: you have good taste, if not, you have bad taste. So you are wrong. =)

Additionally, you come to the topic trying to argue about other comments, and imo failing SO Whats YOUR opinion about the main subject of this topic? i wanna hear sir. at least i gave my impressions about the game and why i disagree, if you agree tell me why, only judging others is EASY, right now i can start following you and saying the opposite in every post you do.

Edited by ivangutjahr

19 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

But that doesn't make sense since an 'average' game sound receive an 'average' review score, which is 6.5-7. So a game rated  '5' would be a below-average game and a game rated '6.5' would be an average game. 

I feel a bit stupid and like I'm misunderstanding something simple right now. 

But I don't see how that's relevant...? I'm seriously struggling to see how you've come to this conclusion...

Maybe go think on it for a while and it will click. :P

6 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

I am in the same boat as Kittet3. I am always used to having 7/10 as average or good enough or a B, etc. That's average to me. 5/10 implies that it's borderline a failure which is certainly not the case for an average game. I don't know maybe review scores operate differently than other types of scores but to me a 5/10 means the game is total garbage. 

Like I said, maybe you're too used to the IGN scale where they typically only use the last 3 numbers on the scale. It goes from 1-10 for a reason. :P

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Like I said, maybe you're too used to the IGN scale where they typically only use the last 3 numbers on the scale. It goes from 1-10 for a reason. :P

Well just to be clear, I absolutely hate IGN's scores. 5.9/10 for alien isolation just pissed me off beyond belief. 

And well no matter what, I'll stick to my "IGN scale" form of rating. It's a bad thing that my standards are I high I suppose..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

But I don't see how that's relevant...? I'm seriously struggling to see how you've come to this conclusion...

Maybe go think on it for a while and it will click. :P

Lol, we're both pretty confused then :P

My only guess is that you're saying there are more good games then bad games, so even if a game is below average it can still be good, so looking at reviews as a more whole-istic pure grade- so if a game is 6/10 then it's above 50% and thus passing and it doesn't matter what other games are doing. This makes sense because I would agree there are a lot more good games than truly bad games. So your 'average' game would be 5/10, although this wouldn't be a mathematical average as most games are above average.

What I'm looking at a more broad view and saying that reviews are dependent on other reviews. So if every game gets 6/10, then a 5/10 is 'bad' and a 7/10 is 'good'. My thought process is that, if a game scores 6/10, however, I could pick up any other game and on average get a 7/10, then the 6/10 is 'bad' in comparison. So my 'average' would be 6.5/10 because I would have exactly 50% games under and 50% games over.

Hmm, I guess there's an interesting review philosophy here.

• Like 1

I'm primarily an xbox player and I'm getting my own PS4 for xmas for exclusives. 

Girlfriend is PS4 and I played HZD on her account for about 10 hours and what I've played I must admit I was a bit disappointed by it.  Don't get me wrong, it's solid and its fun so I probably will plat it but I don't think its the utter masterpiece of the PS4 everyone claims it is.  It does everything well, but nothing better than any other game.   Everything feels good, not great.   Also think that it sacrifices originality for visuals and specs which, for me, isn't that important as long as the game is nice to look at.  My two cents, my mind might change when I get deep into it in January 

From the Ps4 I've played Bloodbourne is the best exclusive by quite some margin (even though I suck at FS games, even I can see that it's truly a work of art).  Yakuza 6 looks promising too. 

Edited by phantomfear9494

On 12/9/2017 at 3:06 PM, GoldenSurprise said:

That said, my GOTY is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, not Horizon. Also, congratulations OP for not being afraid to say what you think. 

I didn't think Lost Legacy was all that great either. Graphics were a big draw in this game just like Horizon. Both games have playable female leads who are quite strong willed and courageous. But the humor and charm that was present in the past Uncharted games just wasn't in this one.

I know a lot of people probably said it was time for Nathan Drake to move on and I don't blame them for saying so. It just wasn't the same without Drake, he practically was the centerpiece of the Uncharted series.

5 hours ago, ivangutjahr said:

SO Whats YOUR opinion about the main subject of this topic? i wanna hear sir. at least i gave my impressions about the game and why i disagree, if you agree tell me why, only judging others is EASY, right now i can start following you and saying the opposite in every post you do.

I've already said in this topic that Horizon is probably my Game of the Year and it's solid 8/10 for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Einigkeit said:

My biggest gripe is to do with items: constraining item selection to the d-pad was a terrible choice, IMO. Trying to select a specific item in the middle of a fight is tedious at best and "deadly" at worst. Put them on R1 as an item wheel (much like the weapons) and make R2 the light and heavy melee attacks - press for light, hold for heavy. Apparently AC:O did something similar for their attacks (haven't played it yet), which I can't fathom; games have used the same button for multiple things for years based on the length of the button press, so I'm not sure why new games are suddenly changing that.

Actually you can go through your item menu with the weapon wheel open and time is slowed down so it's not necessary for something like that. To be fair, this is something I didn't notice until like 40 hours in or so so had done most of the game prior, but yeah. I didn't use items much anyway. Other than when I ran out of herbs. I horde things for a fight that never comes. What I save them for is beyond me, but that's my issue. Otherwise it's my mount to sacrifice itself in battle... I mean to ride off to safety.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

I didn't think Lost Legacy was all that great either. Graphics were a big draw in this game just like Horizon. Both games have playable female leads who are quite strong willed and courageous. But the humor and charm that was present in the past Uncharted games just wasn't in this one.

I know a lot of people probably said it was time for Nathan Drake to move on and I don't blame them for saying so. It just wasn't the same without Drake, he practically was the centerpiece of the Uncharted series.

What I expect from an Uncharted game is a good action-adventure experience, despite of who the protagonist is. 

Neither Uncharted 4 or Uncharted: The Lost Legacy are classic Uncharted games. The classic trilogy will be always special to me, but I get that sometimes things have to change and, therefore, we won’t have a classic Uncharted game anymore. That said, I liked The Lost Legacy a lot, because, for me, it was an improvement over the experience that Uncharted 4 provided me. It’s more action-packed and it has more balanced gameplay than Uncharted 4, that, for me, lacked a lot in the gameplay department. Even in the open-world chapter, The Lost Legacy gives you little puzzles to solve that will then lead to a fun item that will help the player explore the environment. In Uncharted 4 you are just walking around, talking and looking at objects and nothing more. There are not many enemy encounters and the ones there are there, although great in quality, are short.   It took me a great deal of motivation to start liking Uncharted 4, but I owed that to Naughty Dog, since I love all their other games. I had to learn how to appreciate the slower pacing of the game and I finally enjoyed the experience when I played the game for the third time.

In conclusion, I wouldn’t mind if Uncharted continued with The Lost Legacy’s formula. It was a fun and light game, that I enjoyed a lot. I had much more fun with it than I had with Horizon. The game has a bit of everything for everyone’s tastes and everything is perfectly combined. Chloe is a great protagonist and I liked to know Nadine better too. She’s a good friend, despite being temperamental. I didn’t miss Drake.

17 hours ago, Cubone said:

Did you finish the game? If not, how far did you get? I got a bit bummed at first but I started loving the game a couple of story revelations in.

About half the story maybe It seems I have 4/9 story trophies

Edited by Hanzoadam

13 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Lol, we're both pretty confused then :P

My only guess is that you're saying there are more good games then bad games, so even if a game is below average it can still be good, so looking at reviews as a more whole-istic pure grade- so if a game is 6/10 then it's above 50% and thus passing and it doesn't matter what other games are doing. This makes sense because I would agree there are a lot more good games than truly bad games. So your 'average' game would be 5/10, although this wouldn't be a mathematical average as most games are above average.

What I'm looking at a more broad view and saying that reviews are dependent on other reviews. So if every game gets 6/10, then a 5/10 is 'bad' and a 7/10 is 'good'. My thought process is that, if a game scores 6/10, however, I could pick up any other game and on average get a 7/10, then the 6/10 is 'bad' in comparison. So my 'average' would be 6.5/10 because I would have exactly 50% games under and 50% games over.

Hmm, I guess there's an interesting review philosophy here.

Yeah, haha. I probably spent a good 10 mins trying to wrap my head around your last response. :P

If I say a game is average, I'm basing it off my own personal experience playing games, not what score people give games on average. The 0-10 scoring system doesn't change its meaning based on what scores people give on average. If people say on average that a game is 7/10, what that individual is saying is "this game is above average". Just because lots of people do that doesn't make 7/10 the new average score. That's why I made the distinction earlier between what people say on average and what score means a game is average. They are two different things. Like I said before, a 0-4 score is bad and a 6-10 score is good/great. I hope this makes sense to you because I really don't know how else to explain it. :P

2 hours ago, Scyther said:

@Undead Wolf Well, Metacritic agrees with you. Number doesn't change to red until it's under 50. But in school, that would mean you flunked.. So it's easy to see why 5/10 is perceived as "bad."

Not just Metacritic. As far as I know, any site where you can add a 1-10 score to something has 5 as the average. If not, they're wrong. :P

This is MAL for example:

SZ09D6b.png

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

Nearly platted the game and I have to say I agree it's a disappointment, I just found the game really bland with the open world empty with nothing to really find or do.

So after around the 10 hour mark it became increasingly boring to play.

Edited by Newhopes

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, maniek515 said:

I was very hyped for Horizon so I finally grabbed it during black friday sale and, oh boy, how big of a let down it was.

I don't mean it's crap, absolutely, I just want to start an arguement as I honestly can't understand where all that praise around it comes from. I'll try to point out few things that bothered me the most about HZD and why it turned out to be below my expectations. 

1)Combat. I originally started game on normal difficulty and I felt fighting was awesome. It was fairly balanced and, in fact I got my ass kicked few times despite difficulty level when I started to act too bald. But it became repetitive pretty quickly and was more and more boring. Being close to end of the game I was abusing fast travel just to avoid unnecessary encounters. However jewel in that crown was Shield weaver armor which in my opinion completely broke any balance. Even in NG+ on ultra hard combat wasn't challenging at all, I can't remember dying even once. Only difference was amount of time it consumed. 

2)Navigation and markers. First of all, no minimap in an open world game. What the fuck Guerrilla? Messed up markers pointing to the road leading to my destination instead of destination itself. Couple of times I was running around like moron just to get to the road while objective was in opposite direction. 

3)Climbing. That one was probably most annoying. Looking for handholds in some areas was pain in the ass. Some of them were barely visible in daylight but when weather changed (showing or sandstorm) I literally couldn't see shit. Also limited climbing possibilities stood against free exploration which should be the biggest funfactor in games like that. 

After first few hours into the game I was like '80% of mechanics is copypasted from Shadow of mordor but done worse'.

Story however was strong part of Horizon. Very strong actually. There were two amazing plot twists that blew my mind and, in general, it felt very fresh among recent games. 

That would be it. Like I mentioned I don't intend to start a shitstorm, just want to share my opinion. 

6.5/10 from me, cheers! 

Atleast you enioyed the story, i felt that was one of the biggest letdowns! I honestly still found it absurdly funny all the people saying this was the best ps4 game ever, including uncharted 4. It has basic ubisoft open world, shitty story, boring rpg elements, all in all a waste of $80 day one.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just finished the main campaign and I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I also don't see it as the masterpiece most people see it as. I found myself torn between really enjoying this game as you explore the world's past and how it came to be the way it, but I hated the present story especially once you learn the truth of the world. The truth essentially made a lot of what other characters say seem nonsensical. 

I found Aloy to be a decent protagonist, but I found her to be too emotional at moments that didn't warrant it. Aside from Sylens, none of the characters are memorable and the voice acting for most characters just felt lifeless or forced at many points. The world is certainly beautiful and there was a great attention to detail when building it. Music is also done well, but it didn't feel as memorable or immersive as something like the Witcher 3.

The combat was very enjoyable for me. I constantly found myself planning how I would approach a fight, such as setting up traps and possessing enemy machines. The only issue I had with it was that some fights feel like they drag on for far too long, especially against Stormbirds. Overall this is a good game and I look forward to seeing where it will go from here.

• 1 month later...
On 9. 12. 2017 at 10:31 PM, maniek515 said:

I was very hyped for Horizon so I finally grabbed it during black friday sale and, oh boy, how big of a let down it was.

I don't mean it's crap, absolutely, I just want to start an arguement as I honestly can't understand where all that praise around it comes from. I'll try to point out few things that bothered me the most about HZD and why it turned out to be below my expectations. 

1)Combat. I originally started game on normal difficulty and I felt fighting was awesome. It was fairly balanced and, in fact I got my ass kicked few times despite difficulty level when I started to act too bald. But it became repetitive pretty quickly and was more and more boring. Being close to end of the game I was abusing fast travel just to avoid unnecessary encounters. However jewel in that crown was Shield weaver armor which in my opinion completely broke any balance. Even in NG+ on ultra hard combat wasn't challenging at all, I can't remember dying even once. Only difference was amount of time it consumed. 

2)Navigation and markers. First of all, no minimap in an open world game. What the fuck Guerrilla? Messed up markers pointing to the road leading to my destination instead of destination itself. Couple of times I was running around like moron just to get to the road while objective was in opposite direction. 

3)Climbing. That one was probably most annoying. Looking for handholds in some areas was pain in the ass. Some of them were barely visible in daylight but when weather changed (showing or sandstorm) I literally couldn't see shit. Also limited climbing possibilities stood against free exploration which should be the biggest funfactor in games like that. 

After first few hours into the game I was like '80% of mechanics is copypasted from Shadow of mordor but done worse'.

Story however was strong part of Horizon. Very strong actually. There were two amazing plot twists that blew my mind and, in general, it felt very fresh among recent games. 

That would be it. Like I mentioned I don't intend to start a shitstorm, just want to share my opinion. 

6.5/10 from me, cheers! 

Well I strongly disagree (but this is your opinion and I am fine with that). I started my first playthrought with Very Hard difficulty setting and it was fun... normal is usually laughably easy (so there is nor suprise, that you get bored by it quickly). That second and third points are BS... you can set navigation and markers in options, but I had zero problem with default setting and that climbing argument? What? Grips almost glow in screen... there is always obvious path to follow (similar to Uncharted games). And Shadow of mordor was copypasted Batman series (only done worse)... Well tbh I was dissapointed with Shadow of Mordor (finished it, had rough time coming back for DLCs) almost same way like you are with Horizon. Horizon mechanics are similar to some other games (like almost every single game these days) but those are polished and game as whole package deserve praise it gets imho. Don't get me wrong, this game has some issues and it's hardly 10/10 but those points you mentioned are bit nonsensical. I can only parly agree with that "repetitive" statement about combat, but honestly, this is problem of 99 % of biggest games, Horizon is better than most in this regard (again, muuuuuuuch better than Shadow of Mordor where you do same sh*t over and over again with terrible boss fights and luckluster story as bonuses). Have a nice day fellow gamer and I am sorry for my english :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the story was a 10/10 and gameplay was a high average like 7/10 or 8/10. I think the story and character of Aloy, Rost, and the others elevated the game overall. Aloy is such a fantastic character that the game can get away with being weaker in other areas just becuase she is so good. She will definitely be a icon of gaming like Link, Mario, Samus, Nathan Drake, and Lara Croft.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Fish613 said:

Amazing game. My only complaint about it would be that it was a bit too easy. The combat was easy and in game items were easy to come by. But I guess that's what Hard mode is for. Easily an 8.5/10, at least. Characters, Story, Music, Gameplay were phenomenal.

You should definitely try the Frozen Wilds at some point. The new machines can be brutal sometimes!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just finished the story and am cleaning up some of the side quests for the plat. Agreed, the combat did get repetitive, and it felt like I was repeating the same mission over and over again just to progress the (albeit amazing) story. I think the mission variety and the fact that every boss is a machine and goes down in relatively the same way made it feel more repetitive than it actually was. Didn't share the same hatred for the climbing but I agree, the game as a whole is definitely overhyped for its gameplay. But holy shit are those graphics not phenomenal.

• Like 1

I bought Horizon Zero Dawn: Completion Edition for $9.99 at Gamestop during Black Friday. It took me a little over 2 weeks to complete, and I've gotta say I thought it was a really enjoyable experience. It seems like the most common complaints here are that people got bored with the combat, and I suffered from this a bit myself since I was just sticking to using the Shadow Hunter Bow, and then I realized that it was my own fault for not diversifying using weapons. The blast sling is fantastic, as opposed to unloading 200+ arrows into a Thunderjaw I could actually use a tearblast arrow to knock off it's disc launcher and then use THAT to knock it down to half health. The ropecaster was a weapon I didn't even have in my loadout and then I realized oh hey, this is phenomenal for taking down larger machines. It took me well into probably 70% of the game to realize all that, but the lack of diversity in combat tends to fall a lot more on the player than the game offering a lack of options to be versatile with. 

In terms of the side quests, it's an issue that A LOT of games suffer from where they aren't fulfilling. For far too many people it's "Hello random citizen with exclamation point, tell me your feeble story about how you need some sort of material for me to fetch / find my significant other who is in danger." You're almost tempted to spam through the dialogue just to start sprinting to this new destination. This game had a bit of that on multiple occasions but I did appreciate how they did their best to make some characters matter. I preferred Varl over Erend but they were both solid, I very much enjoyed the Hunters Lodge quests with Talanah since fighting massive machines is the appeal of this game for me, and also I weirdly enjoyed the Bandit Camps with Nil even though I killed him in the end. 

One of the best gaming moments I've had in recent years was after getting to a sandy / desert city (I forget what it's called sorry) and starting to make my way I believe to Meridian at the time. I had killed some smaller machines and was paused in the desert region for a second looking some stuff up on my laptop. All of a sudden out of nowhere a Stormbird attacked me and I was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, my normal arrows did nothing and I actually had to run away and flee(before dying upon a 2nd attempt) since I didn't know what the hell this was and yet I still wanted to kill it. The early game effects of seeing something like a Thunderjaw and being like "okay I wanna fight THAT" was fantastic. Eventually it wears off because hey, there are only so many machines in the game but it was a very cool moment for myself personally. 

I completed the Frozen Wilds DLC, I thought it was very sound content that provided an expansion on a lot of the stuff from the main-game. Nothing felt too out of place, ridiculous, or OP, and those fireclaws I had to fight were nasty. My biggest frustrations with the game on a personal level were as others have mentioned, the climbing is downright atrocious. How did they not to think to make it highlight when using the Focus? It's a simple adjustment that would have saved a lot of frustration. I also felt the final boss being a Deathbringer was a bit of a letdown. I know it had the hype built around it as is, but having a machine that actually chases after you(like a more epic version of a Thunderjaw potentially) would have had more of an impact in my opinion. I still enjoyed the story, and thought Sylens was a compelling character.

77/79 trophies, none of them being too ridiculous, I still have my New Game+ Ultra Hard Playthrough to go through but I don't think it'd be a pain for me to venture through. The fact Guerilla allows skippable cutscenes is delightful. I'd give HZD a solid 8/10 with a very positive overall experience, as I'm not someone who has really dabbled in Ubisoft games in the past. Plus, the fact that I finally played what many consider to be one of the crown jewels as a PS4 exclusive is nice to have under my belt. Cheers to those who take this challenge on in the future. 

• Like 4