Disappointed

maniek515

It's very interesting to read so many opinions about this game (not counting the stupid fighting among some of you :-/)

Horizon is one of my most beloved games (Top 3 together with Bloodborne and the Original Bioshock).

imo there are many reasons for that:

1. finally some smooth bow gameplay (my favourite weapon), only MHW felt nearly that great

2. aloy is perfect, she is such a likeable protagonist

3. the whole zero dawn story hit me really hard, that was some next level writing and I was definitely not prepared for this

4. great looking and diverse locations to visit

5. a dlc that was a full fledged and very good addon

nevertheless I acknowledge it has some flaws  but for me it doesn't really matter because my overall experience with it was amazing

the day they release the first trailer for Horizon 2 is the day I need to change my underwear multiple times

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I personally thought it was about 8/10 but not deserving of the insane praise it gets by everyone.  Something that annoys me in games is the voice acting and in Horizon it was far below average.  At one point someone close to one of the characters dies and instead of making you feel the emotion of what the person is feeling he says some shit like "Oh noooo those bastards" or something stupid in the most mono tone voice ever.  The voice acting all game is emotionless. 

What made up for the bad voice acting for me tho was the combat was different and very fun and didn't really get old to me.  

I know Guerilla was experimenting with Horizon and they did very well but when they make a second one I hope they stray away from the Ubisoft format of outposts and boring sidequests and lean more towards exploring different caves with different challenges and maybe some more unique missions.  

And the last thing that annoyed me was I was expecting some amazing boss fight at the end and what I got was a timed battle with an enemy I have already fought multiple times, it was very underwhelming.

It is a good game but it definitely has many flaws.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

Just started this game, It's loads of fun but I won't Plat even though it would be pretty easy.

Lol if it’s that easy why wouldn’t you?

On 3/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, josh_263 said:

Couldn't agree move repetitive gameplay with poor smaller details not graphically the game is stunning in that sense but the climbing is sooo poor its frustrating 

Nah it’s generally great all around.

On 3/8/2019 at 0:04 AM, iGGTheEnd said:

I personally thought it was about 8/10 but not deserving of the insane praise it gets by everyone.  Something that annoys me in games is the voice acting and in Horizon it was far below average.  At one point someone close to one of the characters dies and instead of making you feel the emotion of what the person is feeling he says some shit like "Oh noooo those bastards" or something stupid in the most mono tone voice ever.  The voice acting all game is emotionless. 

What made up for the bad voice acting for me tho was the combat was different and very fun and didn't really get old to me.  

I know Guerilla was experimenting with Horizon and they did very well but when they make a second one I hope they stray away from the Ubisoft format of outposts and boring sidequests and lean more towards exploring different caves with different challenges and maybe some more unique missions.  

And the last thing that annoyed me was I was expecting some amazing boss fight at the end and what I got was a timed battle with an enemy I have already fought multiple times, it was very underwhelming.

It is a good game but it definitely has many flaws.

Actually it has very few flaws. The voice acting is great, they should stick to the Ubisoft like stuff, cause that’s a great aspect of the game, you shouldn’t have expected some amazing boss fight at that point, your own expectations were the problem not the game.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

1 hour ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol if it’s that easy why wouldn’t you?

Nah it’s generally great all around.

Actually it has very few flaws. The voice acting is great, they should stick to the Ubisoft like stuff, cause that’s a great aspect of the game, you shouldn’t have expected some amazing boss fight at that point, your own expectations were the problem not the game.

Because of the time it takes to do it, not really much of a collect this and that person. Maybe I'll come back to it in the future, I do like the game so far but my back catalog is way to big. Also I still play games on the PS2 which takes time.

• 1 month later...

If you were disappointed with this game then I’d wager that you probably don’t find much that actually satisfies you, sure it could do with a slight polish in places, like rare occasions between dialogue etc but it’s literally nitpicking, small things, I’m trying to think of something to highlight but I can’t, it’s bug free (which is kind of rare these days), it’s graphically sound, well designed, side quests are fun to experience (something Ubisoft could learn from instead of the usual boring fetch quests) lots to do, and the story is awesome, this is a fantastic game worthy of its triple A standing, which is more than we can say about MANY titles out there, good luck finding a game that doesn’t disappoint, try God Of War, RDR2 (the single player) Days Gone, surely they can’t disappoint you ?

The gameplay and controls were fine for me no complaints there. I did lose interest in the story so i was glad it was possible to skip most of the dialog.  They dont force you to do all of the side quests which is also a plus. I also skipped much of the battles while going from point to point when i couldnt fast travel to certain areas by just running past the enemies.  Played on normal for a while, then i got the OP armor and played on easy heh.  Only at the end did i find out that story is even easier than easy!  Its the kind of game that anyone should be able to find some joy in since you can make it easy ir challenging for yourself.  Lots of weapons, and great graphics too. To me it was more stimulating than Fallout 4 and way less frustrating than Just Cause 3 so all in all a decent open world game.  Like Tomb Raider but open world. 

EDIT - OK here is what does bother me about this game. I just started my Ultra Hard speed run and noticed a few things that I didn't on lower settings.

1 - Aloy trips on some objects and stops running. It wouldn't be an issue if this was consistent and predictable. But its not. Sometimes she vaults over larger objects but trips on a pebble??? Its an issue when trying to evade on higher difficulty.

2 - Evade by rolling is useless because the enemies attacks adjust as soon as you input the move. ie, you still get hit. Also seems true when using concentration mode. After you fire the enemy conveniently moves and your shot misses... No way for the player to adjust for this. Essentially concentration is useless and you have to battle reactionary at full speed. 

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1

Wouldn't say I was disappointed with HZD because then I'd have to have expectations of it being really good, I didn't. Thought it was a very boring game, didn't like the characters, story did nothing for me and the climbing was a pain in the arse. Only bit I liked/enjoyed was Meridian.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got to this one pretty late, so the hype train was long gone by then. I only expected the game would be decent, so no disappointment of any kind. Some inconveniences here and there, but pretty good experience overall. I started playing on Ultra Hard difficulty right away (not required for the plat, just my own challenge), but I always find some tricks to get me through a tough spot (like that fire bellowback in the cauldron or two corrupted rockbreakers in the north-west). I also got the shield-weaver outfit and mustered some courage to face a stormbird, and it's just a big flying piece of chicken - that's what it is :P

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 2:18 AM, Feral said:

Wouldn't say I was disappointed with HZD because then I'd have to have expectations of it being really good, I didn't. Thought it was a very boring game, didn't like the characters, story did nothing for me and the climbing was a pain in the arse. Only bit I liked/enjoyed was Meridian.

Platted it last year and just came back to finish DLC/NG+ stuff, and gotta say I'm bored to death (just like I was when doing the base game). I really just want to be done with it lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Platted it last year and just came back to finish DLC/NG+ stuff, and gotta say I'm bored to death (just like I was when doing the base game). I really just want to be done with it lol

Surprised you'd go back after such an experience. Although I do get it because I kinda want to plat it but knowing how boring it is just kills that thought.

On 12/9/2017 at 2:54 PM, EternalChaos72 said:

This game is definitely a 10/10 i thoroughly enjoyed this game. There's nothing that i disliked. Guerrilla has outdone themselves yet again. 

True

On 12/9/2017 at 3:06 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

I too thought it was a phenomenally good game :) 

For me the mechanics got repetitive eventually, but they still felt satisfying. The story, characters and visuals were the real stand outs for me though. Really looking forward to seeing more of this world.

[Edited this post to add more as I thought i'd put something more constructive in a post further down]

True

On 12/9/2017 at 3:09 PM, YemmytheFerret said:

Your opinion sure but

You are wrong

Very wrong

:)

True

On 9/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, Shmeefly said:

If you were disappointed with this game then I’d wager that you probably don’t find much that actually satisfies you, sure it could do with a slight polish in places, like rare occasions between dialogue etc but it’s literally nitpicking, small things, I’m trying to think of something to highlight but I can’t, it’s bug free (which is kind of rare these days), it’s graphically sound, well designed, side quests are fun to experience (something Ubisoft could learn from instead of the usual boring fetch quests) lots to do, and the story is awesome, this is a fantastic game worthy of its triple A standing, which is more than we can say about MANY titles out there, good luck finding a game that doesn’t disappoint, try God Of War, RDR2 (the single player) Days Gone, surely they can’t disappoint you 1f602.png

Very well said great breakdown Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am at the very beginning still: just took down the first bigger machine. Given that this is a big game I have barely scratched the surface and you could rightfully point out to me that I ought to give it more time, but... I’m bored! Like really, really bored. I loved Far Cry: Primal, the two latest AC games and Tomb Raider so I figured HZD would be precisely my cup of tea. But so far it is not.

I guess I just don’t like combating mechanical dinosaurs?

I could see why some wouldn't like this game...i did find some tidbits boring and repetitive but overall a solid game...i realize tracking is aloy's thing but it felt like most of the side quests were basically just track, track, track...and I really didn't like that focus mode slowed her down to a crawl...i thought it should be the opposite...and to complete the game to 100% in game (all data files and carry capacity upgrade animals come to mind) I was forced to use it way too much for my liking...i did find some of the climbing points really ambiguous to locate as well (I thought she was good at tracking?...haha...apparently not when it comes to common spots for climbing cliffs)...again, in general, good, fun game imo and particularly if you only play the main missions but I could see why some wouldn't like it...having gone in with 0 expectations, i wasn't blown away nor disappointed by it...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's a 7/10 for me.

Aspects which scraped off points were:

• Some conversation cutscenes, even the ones in the main storyline branches felt ghetto compared to other open world games like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, GTA V and Days Gone. I'd like for better cinematography, camera work and sequence construction in these parts. Almost everyone injured or dying were always found in the same pose.
  • NPC lore. There were times when the NPCs broke immersion for me in live gameplay mode. Their world building and interaction wasn't done as well as say Trails of Cold Steel or TW3, games which get it right. I remember this one side quest where I had to find an injured father for this girl. The side quest concluded with her kneeling at her father's side, her dad lying injured on the ground looking up at Aloy, grateful. Came back one week later (i.e in-game seven cycles of days and nights) and they're both in the exact same spot, the exact same pose, out in the wilderness which kinda had me WTF. Everything felt so pretty, yet so static at times and I think this is more faulted to production values rather than CPU/memory streaming constraints.
  • Input lag, please improve it.
  • Please make me care about majority side quests. Half of them felt kinda empty with the odd facial expressions, track -> examine -> track loops and the flat note writing.

Otherwise, everything else was good. Original ideas in the main story, dramatic moments, excellent art presentation and I loved how Aloy could scale so many things after coming from Days Gone's painful spam of invisible walls/no swimming/limited terrain movement on foot allowed. The art team and the programmers are the rockstars of HZD's final product.

I wasn't bought immediately with the voice acting direction in the English audio. Aloy sounded so remarkably similar to VSGOs I know in real life that it kinda broke the illusion of outcast huntress living in the distant future lol But after 30 hours-ish I kinda got used to it and forgave it.

Edited by Eraezr

Just finished my Ultra Hard run on NG+ yesterday, and I kinda feel like most things in this game are fine, except its broken battle system. When compared to Assassin's Creed Odyssey and the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy, which similarly also has a battle system of stealth, ranged, and melee, it's definitely true that the battle system of Horizon lacks something, especially the melee and stealth. AC Odyssey is almost perfect in all three categories, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider have a good design on ranged weapons and stealth.

There's no variety, and I think the game forces you to choose ranged weapons with different ammos, since the damage of your stealth attack is not that high (many mid-large size enemies still takes 3+ stealth attacks to kill, and they'll find you immediately and call their companions after your stealth attack), which is pretty limited. Besides, the trajectory of some arrows are weird even at full release, so even if I'm aiming at the enemy's head with a full-released arrow, it won't hit the enemy sometimes. The devs could make the melee system more interesting, like the Monster Hunter series, in which you could still do parts broken with your melee weapons.

This game is not that bad for me, those devs in Guerrilla just need to polish it more and make the battle system well-rounded so that I could give it a 10/10, but right now it's only 8/10 for me.

BTW the loading time in Horizon is pretty impressing, almost the fastest among all PS4 3A open-world titles that I've seen.

Edited by Astray404