Ready Player One - Official Trailer

Hadeshii

6 minutes ago, Devil_Spooky said:

Because this is based on a book whose entire premiss is referencing 80's pop culture?!

I wasn’t really implying that this was good writing in the book. However i do feel that we should hold a book that one guy wrote by himself to different standards than a multi million dollar movie directed by Steven Spielberg.

36 minutes ago, Happy said:

I wasn’t really implying that this was good writing in the book. However i do feel that we should hold a book that one guy wrote by himself to different standards than a multi million dollar movie directed by Steven Spielberg.

It doesn't change the fact this is based on the book, if the book contains these things why should one expect any different from a movie based on said book?

trailer looked promising , steven speilberg best not f this up.

The book was so damn goood

2 hours ago, TheFinalEmblem said:

I think I might be one of the few people who aren't interested in this. Watched the trailer earlier today and didn't really feel anything for it, so I'll pass.

have you read the book

So I want to say why the book is a pretty good book for what it is. However, for anyone who liked the book, based on what has been shown in the two trailers the movie will be very hard to watch. 

Some spoilers to the book and plot of Ready Player One.

Spoiler

The book told a pretty good story even though it has a over-reliance on describing 80s pop culture and some pretty bad dialogue at times, but both it's surface level and subtextual story are told well.

The surface level story of Ready Player One is basically "willy wonka with better action scene": Poor kid, finds "golden tickets" wins everything in the end. Very simple story that is executed pretty well with some nerdy 80s pop culture stuff in it. The characters work okay for the world and setting they are in and even though there is bad dialogue it feel appropriate for the types of characters in this story.

The subtextual story of Ready Player One is what would happen when everyone in the whole is "forced" into escapism because the semi post-apocalyptic world is really bad (think a lighter version of judge dredd's world). Then what would happen when this world is put in a situation where they are encouraged to dive deeper into the escapism of the past. Then what would happen in this world where kids who are raised on escapism form a community based on this diving deeper into the escapism of the past.

This subtextual story is told really well with allegories to the "gamer subculture" and what happens when "big business takes over the world". Even though the book does have a over-reliance on describing 80s pop culture it is used to show what kind of person would exist in a world and environment such as Ready Player One. Basically you get the stereotypical "nerd" and "gamer" characters that are like 10x as bad. So a bunch of sometimes cringy characters. 

That's the book more or less, like all stories it has it's problems.

Now based on what the trailers have shown and told it will change some key things that will most likely make the surface level story a lost worse and the subtextual slightly worse.

From what the trailers are showing it seems like instead of focusing on 80s pop culture it will be 80s-current pop culture which hurts the suspension of disbelief of the the community that is formed around escapism of the past. In the book it took about 8 years for community to gain their encyclopedic of 80s pop culture. Which is kind of believable is it's a bunch of kids that spent almost 10 years to learn 10 years of pop culture. If the story changes to 80s-current pop culture that 10 for 10 turns in to 10 years for 40 years of pop culture knowledge.

This changes the scope of the story and based on how the "golden tickets" are handled makes the main characters "special" because they focused on just "80s pop culture" while everyone else looked at the other 30 years. This makes the main characters worse, because instead of just being some of the strongest characters in the community, they are now in a subgroup of that subculture that was formed. 

Then we have other things like the main characters meeting face to face way earlier than in the book (they don't meet face to face until the last page of the book), the evil corporation seems to be a lot more evil and because of this there is the need for a revolution, the main character home town being Columbus, Ohio also causes quite a few problems.  

All this makes the movie a different beast from the book that will have a weaker story and weaker characters. Based on what i've seen the changes to the plot will change too much of the movies spirit which will make it a hard movie to watch.