Will Sony Completely Forget About PS3?

SlaveBeastTaka

3 minutes ago, SlaveBeastTaka said:

Ive had my ps3 for about 8 years. And, I just cant imagine sony just forgetting about PS3. There's still alot of people who play on their PS3's. Me included. Its still a main gaming console. PS3 all the way for me lol. I love my PS3. Well, I love PlayStation in general. But, yeah. I guess it is that time. 

I still play on my SNES, and I would still play on my N64 if it hadn't broken down.  Yeah people still play on PS3, but not many of those people still buy games new at full price for it. Even the titles from LEGO and Telltale Games stopped being ported to PS3 after 2016. People will keep playing PS3 but other than a handful of sports titles, the game library is done. Sony will probably keep some spare parts for repairs and after a while even that will shut down. It's been a long run but there's nothing wrong with moving on. Only thing that would have been better is if Sony would just give it up and allow backwards compatibility already.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SlaveBeastTaka said:

Ive had my ps3 for about 8 years. And, I just cant imagine sony just forgetting about PS3. There's still alot of people who play on their PS3's. Me included. Its still a main gaming console. PS3 all the way for me lol. I love my PS3. Well, I love PlayStation in general. But, yeah. I guess it is that time.

Sony has moved on, just like they did with the PS2. They aren't "forgetting" about it, but it's been 11 years since the PS3 was released, and 4 years since the PS4 launched, so from a business perspective it's time for them to move on. That doesn't mean you need to move on, you can still play your games and buy PS3 games wherever you can find them, but you shouldn't expect the game developers to continue to produce new games for PS3 unless they are porting something from another platform and they decide to support it to take advantage of the large installed base.

The PS4 is the current generation console, so that's where most developers are going to focus their efforts. You can't even find new PS3 units anywhere around my part of the world these days, the only ones you can get are used or refurbished models, so now that Sony has discontinued it you should expect to see it slowly fade away.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

Sony will keep it connected to PSN just like the PSP and PS Vita currently is now yes, the moment they drop PS3 and PS Vita games on the PS+ subscription is the day a complete hault will come which will be very welcomed as in turn we should get better games for PS4. So yes like with every generation the previous gets left behind.

The moment they drop Vita and PS3 games from PS+ they will start offering free PS5 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlaveBeastTaka said:

I'd imagine for the younger people that grew up with the very long ps3 generation it is hard to let go, but for older players, we are used to seeing newer consoles come out every 4-5 years and the older hardware abandoned entirely. If anything you're lucky now that consoles are supported so much longer. 

• Like 3

It's funny. I didn't grow up with the PS3. I missed A LOT OF GAMES on it. I know I did. The realization that PS2 died was when Dynasty Warriors 6 was first released for PS3. I was bummed because I thought I couldn't play it :(.

Then they released Dynasty Warriors 6: Special(That's what the PS2 versio  is referred to) I was happy. But I never got to get the PS3 till much later sadly. But It's true. Companies move on and sadly forget the previous gen hence why there are so many re-mastered remasters lol

Edited by Shiny Suicune

41 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

The BIG question is. When will they remove PSN support for PS3? Bye bye digitals!

To be honest, probably never. I mean, aside from needing to keep those games stored in a datacenter somewhere so that they can be downloaded there's not really a significant cost associated with having them for sale, so odds are you'll always be able to buy them digitally. Physical on the other hand will likely disappear soon (if not already) since retailers don't want to waste shelf space on products that don't sell in high volume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullstomp said:

I am an older gamer but still play my PS3 much more than my PS4. So many awesome games on the PS3 are so inexpensive and far fewer PS3 games with microtransactions than PS4 games.

I like games that reward skill rather than pay2win. 

Wait, so we're making EA's fuckery a face for the entire PS4 now? Never mind that there are enough microtransactions on PS3, and enough games without microtransactions on PS4. And the microtransactions have mostly all stayed within the same franchises. PS3 is old and slow, and there are loads of great games on the PS4 as well, with or without microtransactions.

38 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

The BIG question is. When will they remove PSN support for PS3? Bye bye digitals!

PSN doesn't work like the eShop does, PS3s connect to the same network PS4s and Vitas connect to. Unless Sony decides to create an entire new network for the PS5 instead of building upon the old one, expect PSN support for the PS3 to last at least another decade.

14 minutes ago, Cubone said:

PSN doesn't work like the eShop does, PS3s connect to the same network PS4s and Vitas connect to. Unless Sony decides to create an entire new network for the PS5 instead of building upon the old one, expect PSN support for the PS3 to last at least another decade.

that why im not supporting Nintendo digital... For sony all my game are digital except puyo tetris

Just now, Elk_mistral said:

that why im not supporting Nintendo digital... For sony all my game are digital except puyo tetris

I have it the other way around, I am almost completely digital on the Switch (only exceptions are Zelda and Mario+Rabbids) because I feel like I'd be playing them for ages on anyway while on the PS4, I'm often playing through a game once and selling/trading them on. 

I know it seems risky, but years from now when eShop support for the Switch stops, one of two things will happen: 1) I won't even have a Switch at that point because I've moved on to more recent consoles, and I don't care about the eShop being taken down, or 2) I still have a Switch, and I still have all my downloadable games on one or more microSD cards, and I still don't mind.

Vita and PS3 PSN and X360 XBLA support could drop dead tomorrow (not that it can/will, but still) and I wouldn't even miss it, I've moved on from those consoles.

Come to think of it, if 1 happens and I'm selling my Switch, I just might keep a microSD card with my games on it around just in case the eShop shuts down.

28 minutes ago, Elk_mistral said:

So... one thing to keep in mind is that the Wii eShop didn't go down until 2 generations later (the first year of the Switch's release). Maybe it would have gone down sooner if the Wii U were more successful, but it was still around a long time. The Wii came out 11 years ago, and any downloaded eShop games will work as long as the Wii they are installed on works. The Wii eShop is also completely separate from the Wii U version, so it's not like it stuck around that long because of the Wii U being still supported.

Also, a lot of people predict (I know this is foolish with Nintendo much of the time) that Nintendo will use the Switch as a foundation of future consoles, with successors being backwards compatible. They have a great concept with the Switch, so I can imagine their next console being a better version of the Switch rather than something completely different. So I suspect the Switch eShop will be around for a long time.

Anyway, I still enjoy my PS3 but I don't play it every day. From everything people have said here about PSN, I think it's safe to say our digital games will stick around for a few more years at least.