Will Sony Completely Forget About PS3?

SlaveBeastTaka

21 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So... one thing to keep in mind is that the Wii eShop didn't go down until 2 generations later (the first year of the Switch's release). Maybe it would have gone down sooner if the Wii U were more successful, but it was still around a long time. The Wii came out 11 years ago, and any downloaded eShop games will work as long as the Wii they are installed on works. The Wii eShop is also completely separate from the Wii U version, so it's not like it stuck around that long because of the Wii U being still supported.

Also, a lot of people predict (I know this is foolish with Nintendo much of the time) that Nintendo will use the Switch as a foundation of future consoles, with successors being backwards compatible. They have a great concept with the Switch, so I can imagine their next console being a better version of the Switch rather than something completely different. So I suspect the Switch eShop will be around for a long time.

Anyway, I still enjoy my PS3 but I don't play it every day. From everything people have said here about PSN, I think it's safe to say our digital games will stick around for a few more years at least.

Eshop is still up until January 

Bought a Wii ware title off there a week ago

Edited by SnowxSakura

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

Wait, so we're making EA's fuckery a face for the entire PS4 now? Never mind that there are enough microtransactions on PS3, and enough games without microtransactions on PS4. And the microtransactions have mostly all stayed within the same franchises. PS3 is old and slow, and there are loads of great games on the PS4 as well, with or without microtransactions.

1. EA is not the only publisher that abuses MTX though they are probably the worst. Ubisoft, 2k, Activision; most big publishers do now. Yes there are some on PS3 but it is a minority.

2. I don't dispute there are loads of great titles on the PS4. Look at my profile, I have plenty of PS4 Platinums. However, you cannot honestly say AAA titles nowadays (ESPECIALLY sports)don't have some form of MTX. I choose to avoid them because I think they are bullshit.

Agree, disagree . . .I could care less. That's my opinion.

• Like 1

Sony supported the PlayStation 3 for a good amount of time. 11 years is great! My only concern is when they stop supporting PSN for the PS3 and when the PlayStation Store on the PS3 comes inactive. I think we should be safe for 2018 but I can't predict 2019. I hope trophy support remains.

9 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

1. EA is not the only publisher that abuses MTX though they are probably the worst. Ubisoft, 2k, Activision; most big publishers do now. Yes there are some on PS3 but it is a minority.

It's not pay to win in single player games though, and you were explicitly talking about pay to win. Let's not act like every single AAA game has microtransactions these days, though it is indeed more common on PS4 than on PS3 then, or on the Switch now. Come to think of it, I don't think any Switch game has microtransactions, unless there's some third party title I missed.

2. I don't dispute there are loads of great titles on the PS4. Look at my profile, I have plenty of PS4 Platinums. However, you cannot honestly say AAA titles nowadays (ESPECIALLY sports)don't have some form of MTX. I choose to avoid them because I think they are bullshit.

I don't need to look at your profile, but you were acting like the PS4 has no value over PS3 just because some games have microtransactions, and I disagree with the part of PS4 having no value over PS3.

If you're sick of AAA games with microtransactions, fine, I'm not forcing you to enjoy them. There's still AAA games out there that don't have microtransactions. And there's loads of non-AAA games without microtransactions too.

My personal opinion is that I don't care for microtransactions and I don't buy them, but I won't miss out on games I enjoy that employ them, like Assassin's Creed.

Agree, disagree . . .I could care less. That's my opinion.

"That means you do care, at least a little" - Weird Al Yankovic, 'Word Crimes'

Seriously though, I don't mind discussing stuff and disagreeing about something, but if you take the trouble of replying to me, could you act less apathetic? What's even the point?

Still playing my PS3 fine and going strong , too many titles to play yet for this lovely syste, even tho i got the PS4 recently and already have a good amount of PS4 titles to entertain myself for the meantime . PS3 will always have a dear spot in my heart and i hope that Sony won't shutdown the PSN and PStore for the PS3 anytime soon , let it live on .

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DarkSoleride said:

Sony will keep it connected to PSN just like the PSP and PS Vita currently is now yes, the moment they drop PS3 and PS Vita games on the PS+ subscription is the day a complete hault will come which will be very welcomed as in turn we should get better games for PS4. So yes like with every generation the previous gets left behind.

That's the funniest thing I've ever read. I don't believe dropping PS3 and Vita from the Plus lineup will ever lead to better Plus games for PS4. You need it for online, now. They have zero obligation to have stellar games every month. 

• Like 1

I'm a gamer that is usually one generation behind the current one. I have accepted that fact. So as far Playstation 3 is concerned, I think Sony had a good run with it, library-wise there is so many great games to play that you could skip entire generations if you wanted. The only real problem are servers going down for some more popular games such as Demon's Souls recently, but one has to live with that, especially since playstation 3 online play is completely free. Now, I just wish Sony doesn't drop digital sales entirely for Playstation 3/Vita/PSP and even if they dwindle in frequency, they keep at least one good sale each month for those in older platforms, since there still some games and especially DLC that is heavily overpriced for older consoles: Each Fallout New Vegas DLC piece still is $10.00, that's a tad to much for a 7 year old game.

• Like 1

The PS Store being a trainwreck on the PS3 since they launched the 'beta' in Europe and to it's official launch of beta testing the PS4 store, obviously they already forgot and don't give two shits. That thing is a POS. (The PS Store on PS3). Can't do shit before it crashes, hangs for days [so does PS4 though], among other problems. Mess. I don't even have the dumb thing installed. Thank Yevon we can queue things up via the webstore.

Edited by Elvick_

The only thing I've seen come out new and be sent to my store is Persona 5, NBA 2K18, Fifa 18 legacy (Most likely the LAST Fifa because of the "legacy" in the name) and Just Dance 2018.

The system has been dying since PS4 released because what's the point in supporting an older generation system when they can put all of their attention to a current-gen system.

Ive had my fatty ps3 ( 150 gig) for going on 10 years now... With orginal controller i gotta say i think its running better then my ps4. Thats only 4 yrs old ( destiny launch edition) along with the 2 controllers that eather have a worn axis tilt and or busted charger port. 

That said.  I still play my ps3 when ive a chance. Its quite an amazing system. 

Think ill need to look into getting a back up or two juuust incase ( roomie likes to leave it on for hours at a time paused on netflix well they game laptop)

I just wonder if once ps+ is droped from ps3. If all the + games people have Aquired over the decade would finnaly become permanently owned. Akin to what microsoft does with there free games with gold.

As. Ps+ isnt even req. For any ps3 functions unlike ps4.

• Like 1

Well, yeah. It's a 10 year old machine. Get real.

Do you even know how hard it is to get modern games to run on that pile of garbage? Sony has almost zero benefits developing stuff for it at this point, and you as a dedicated gamer want your hardware capabilities improved. Games like Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 just wouldn't be possible on hardware this weak and old.

And just as a side note: PS3 & Xbox 360 had one of the longest console generation runs of all time. It's time to let go for good.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

I'm sure they will keep supporting it while it turns in some money. I am still on a PS3 and still buy games for cheap almost any time there is a sale. As long as plenty of people do the same, it will remain profitable for them to stick with it. All the development is done and I'm guessing it would actually cost them money to lock it out of PSN.

I do second the request for more varied PS3 sales though and to include more DLC in them. I picked up loads of games on disc for 2 or 3 euro's with DLC still costing 15 or 20. Yeah, no thanks. When they would bring those prices to a more realistic level I would probably not be able to resist the temptation.