Will Sony Completely Forget About PS3?

SlaveBeastTaka

On 12/13/2017 at 5:21 AM, OBSTINATIO said:

I just bought a few games I always wanted to play for less then 10€ each (so now you should get the titles you want, in a few years the graphics etc. will be hard to take)... slowly the PS4 is getting some good titles like Nier, Persona, Horizon, Bloodborne and such but to me it feels like the PS3 Generation had a lot more innovative titles (or better if you will). There is nothing like Cathrine, Bayonetta, Dead Space  etc. on the PS4.

Summarized I think you can say that the so called middel market in the games industry is extinct. 

Going to have to agree with this. 

The gaming industry is too mainstream now. Back when I was growing up we had flagship titles that really pushed forth the medium, the 1990s through the early - mid 2000s were chock full of great games that are still fondly remembered to this day. 

I still have a PS3 backlog, some of those games that were initially released on PlayStation 2. It’s good that the Grand Theft Auto trilogy (PS2) is on the PS4 but sadly most of those games are pretty much left in the dust. 

I think games like Tony Hawks Underground should be considered getting a remaster/remake, rather than all these shameful remasters of PS3 games because the masses would rather just toss out the PS3 altogether. 

Plus with all the easy crap that is basically easy platinums flooding the PlayStation Store there’s not a lot for me to be excited about. 

Easier to just copy what someone else did in the AAA industry than come up with something innovative. We will probably never see stuff like Super Mario 64 or Grand Theft Auto 3 ever again. 

Edited by Spaz

1 minute ago, Nexuds121 said:

As of May 31st 2017 Sony JP has already stop productions on PS3 games and PS Vita games will go down in flames either this year or next year.

I hope this doesn’t mean we can’t purchase these games anymore. 

There’s a few Vita games I’m looking to buy.

Easier to just copy what someone else did in the AAA industry than come up with something innovative. We will probably never see stuff like Super Mario 64 or Grand Theft Auto 3 ever again. 

If you mean we won't see a complete paradigm shift like we had going from 2D to 3D as seen in SM64 and GTA3, then sure we won't see that unless someone discovers another dimension. VR might do the trick but it is still in it's infancy when compared to where gaming was when SM64 released. 

However, if you only mean creatively or innovation-wise then we have a plethora a games that measure up. Nintendo does a good jump in keeping their Mario games both fresh and nostagic at the same time. The Witcher 3's evolution from it's original games can be seen to impacted RPGs in the same way GTA3 impacted 3D open world games. 

It's not hard to find gems when you look.

Also, the days of old were not without their missteps. To me, this gen is the same as gen 3(or 4 or 5 or 6) in terms of gaming variety and overall quality. They have just upped the pixel and polygon counts.

I'd say they at least could do some sales on the ps3 store. Because i sure won't buy some digital only game at full price.

But i guess they are just like whatever we made enough money so lets drop those sales forever. Sure can't remember the last time EU PS store ever had a sale.

If they make the ps5 with true backwards compatibility, both digital and physical (for free) and none of the ps now crap, I will be ok with cutting off the ps3, as the console doesn't run so well these days, especially in comparison to the smoothness of the ps4 pro. I get it's an old console and no new games to be released, but support of it should still continue. I doubt it though, as everyone lives in such a disposable world nowadays and only cares for what's new, Sony included. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MiamiNights89 said:

If they make the ps5 with true backwards compatibility, both digital and physical (for free) and none of the ps now crap, I will be ok with cutting off the ps3, as the console doesn't run so well these days, especially in comparison to the smoothness of the ps4 pro. I get it's an old console and no new games to be released, but support of it should still continue. I doubt it though, as everyone lives in such a disposable world nowadays and only cares for what's new, Sony included. 

I agree. I can understand Sony's killing PSP support on PSN after Vita showed up, especially with Vita's PSP backward compatibility for download games.  Right now it's not like that at all for PS3, & PS Now isn't a good alternative (I can imagine the terrible lag).

PS5 needs true 100% backward compatibility, not this limited selection BS that Xbox One does.

2 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

PS5 needs true 100% backward compatibility, not this limited selection BS that Xbox One does.

For what it's worth, XBOne's backward compatibility is awesome compared to what Sony has offered in the last several generations. The last truly backward compatible full-sized Sony console was the original 60GB 'fat' Playstation 3 that launched in 2006 - twelve years ago!

I'm not particularly encouraged that Sony will consider backward compatibility for the next generation as they haven't really been making consumer-conscious decisions lately, i.e., refusing to budge on pricing for proprietary Vita memory cards (even as they killed the system!), resisting the integration of cross-platform play, not allowing users to change usernames, and not including 4K Blu-ray playback on the PlayStation 4 Pro. 

Microsoft might not be perfect, but they've gotten quite a few things right in terms of the consumer experience this generation - Sony needs to up their game, or they're going to risk losing consumers to Microsoft and/or Nintendo over the next few years. 

Just now, darkamdusias said:

For what it's worth, XBOne's backward compatibility is awesome compared to what Sony has offered in the last several generations. The last truly backward compatible full-sized Sony console was the original 60GB 'fat' Playstation 3 that launched in 2006 - twelve years ago!

I'm not particularly encouraged that Sony will consider backward compatibility for the next generation as they haven't really been making consumer-conscious decisions lately, i.e., refusing to budge on pricing for proprietary Vita memory cards (even as they killed the system!), resisting the integration of cross-platform play, not allowing users to change usernames, and not including 4K Blu-ray playback on the PlayStation 4 Pro. 

Microsoft might not be perfect, but they've gotten quite a few things right in terms of the consumer experience this generation - Sony needs to up their game, or they're going to risk losing consumers to Microsoft and/or Nintendo over the next few years. 

While I'm a little disappointed that not all Xbox & X360 games are playable on the Xbox One, I'll admit it's a good move on Microsoft's part to at least have some games be backward compatible. It is better than nothing, which is what PS4 has there.  Whenever the PS5 is released, Sony should try to step it up & make a PS3 emulator for PS5 that can play all the PS1/2/3 games in both disc & digital versions while also killing the region lockout on PS1 & 2. I'm hoping they keep PS5's hardware close enough to PS4 to also play this gen's games.

They should consider allowing username changes, even if it's with a $10-15 fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiamiNights89 said:

Couldn't of said it better myself.