Getting into RE series (need advice)

ReljaGamer

This might be first time opening thread on this forum :)

I need help. I played RE7 with my wife (first completed RE ever), we enjoyed very much. We completed game on Normal, then completed Madhouse and afterwards speedrun on Easy. So enjoyable. Now I'm aware that RE7 is separate project and there are no connections with other RE games neither with gameplay style yet I remember RE1/2 from PS1 era when I was scared to play more then 15-20 mins, I was like 10 years old haha :D

I bought Resident Evil HD and Resident Evil 0 couple months ago. What other RE games are available on PS4 platform and can someone throw list of chronological games to play (only PS4) ?

Doesn't matter are they good or bad. I remember Revelations on PC couple years ago that was released in chapters (every week new one), dunno is there anything between HD and 4 ? Is 4 even remastered on PS4 ? 

So basically without spoilers literally every game for PS4 in chronological events :)

I would appreciate it. I'm aware that some Platiniums are ultra hard, but I will get them eventually :D

• Like 1

I would definitely give RE5 a go, really enjoyable, easy platinum and a lot of fun co-op

also RE6 different to the other RE's, more action based but again enjoyable co-op

how did you find RE7, ive done about an hour on it, scared me half to death for 50 minutes of it on normal.

My wife played first time on Normal :D Then I was brave enough to start Madhouse and get until one moment where even 1000 bullets were not enough. Then I realized that I can get some stupid weapons if I speedrun game even on Easy under 4 ingame hours. So I did it, returned to Madhouse difficulty and completed game aswel. First time was really scary, even Madhouse made me jump couple times because there are changes in AI :)

I will play all RE games no matter if they are good or bad. I just need chronological list from titles which are available on PS4 platform :)

1 minute ago, Fragtaster said:

Residentify evil zero hd, resident evil hd, resident evil code veronica x, resident evil 4 hd, resident evil 5 hd, resident evil 6, Resident revelations, resident evil revelations 2.

And of all of them, resident evil zero, re1 hd and code veronica are the best imo. Star with zero.

So just to clarify:

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil HD

Resident Evil Code Veronica X

Resident Evil 4 Remastered

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil Revelations

Resident Evil Revelations 2

That is all what I can get from PS4, and hopefully its correct chronological list. Correct ? :D

• Like 2

RE4 is available on PS4 and it's definitely worth playing before tackleing RE5, RE6, RE: Revelations 1 & 2.

RE5 & 6 are very fun co-op games, but they're very action heavy compared to other RE games.

There's also RE: Code Veronica X  on PS4. that uses the same control scheme as RE 0-3 and personally it's the most frightening and hardest Resident Evil game I've played. I'd recommend you to play RE1 first and see if you like the gameplay and jump scares before getting 2-3 and Code Veronica.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

Why zero after one? Chronologically it leads directly into RE1 and explains how Rebecca got in the mansion. I know zero released after resident evil remake, but it's a prequel.

Because it spoils the events in 1. (and arguably, to some degree, 2)

Edited by mako-heart
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone ! So 0 after original HD.

I have low end PC (q9650/gt1030/6gb), not sure can it run emulator for 2 and 3 but for the time being we will do this list. Perhaps or if we love them very much we can spare literally 50-100$ for PS1 console, they are like 40$ here in Serbia from what I'm looking into at the moment. And I love old consoles :)

3 minutes ago, Mazi7ps said:

I have low end PC (q9650/gt1030/6gb), not sure can it run emulator for 2 and 3 but for the time being we will do this list. Perhaps or if we love them very much we can spare literally 50-100$ for PS1 console, they are like 40$ here in Serbia from what I'm looking into at the moment. And I love old consoles :)

Good advice from everyone so far. I'll just add that you can play 2 and 3 on a PS1, 2, 3, or PSP or PS Vita.

I haven't played RE7 yet (I have completely lost interest in first-person games, especially FPS, over the past few years), but I got started in the series with RE5, so I tend to prefer the action based games more than the classic survival horror. I did play RE1 and 0 on the Gamecube about 5 years ago, but I couldn't get into 2 and 3 when I tried them more recently. IMO those tank controls have aged very badly, but I also have gotten very used to modern gaming quality-of-life changes. I think playing RE1 HD and RE0 HD will be a good test of whether you'll be able to enjoy 2 and 3, as long as you play them with the classic tank controls.

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Good advice from everyone so far. I'll just add that you can play 2 and 3 on a PS1, 2, 3, or PSP or PS Vita.

I haven't played RE7 yet (I have completely lost interest in first-person games, especially FPS, over the past few years), but I got started in the series with RE5, so I tend to prefer the action based games more than the classic survival horror. I did play RE1 and 0 on the Gamecube about 5 years ago, but I couldn't get into 2 and 3 when I tried them more recently. IMO those tank controls have aged very badly, but I also have gotten very used to modern gaming quality-of-life changes. I think playing RE1 HD and RE0 HD will be a good test of whether you'll be able to enjoy 2 and 3, as long as you play them with the classic tank controls.

If I remember correctly literally 20 years ago (wow) those thank controls made aiming literally easy that easier can't be. That's gonna be of help for wife aswel, since in RE7 I needed to deal with boss fights, and sometimes it breaks immersion, depends on that how we play game :)

Edited by Mazi7ps

43 minutes ago, Mazi7ps said:

That's probably more than enough, but I dunno the rules here so I can't help you more. Get the NTSC versions, unless it's a language issue. For RE1 (pls) get "Resident Evil: Director's Cut UNCUT". 2 and 3 are also on Gamecube, but are rare/expensive more than PSX... I'm pretty sure.

5, 6, and both Rev games you can play with your wife co-op.

I should mention that a PS3 is capable of playing pretty much 90% of the entire series, excluding only outbreak volume 1&2 and Resident Evil 7, all the rest games are available as psones classics or HD versions, or some rarer games like dead survivor games can be played on the ps3 emulator for psone discs.

Not understanding the RE6 hate.

The game is admittedly the poster child of the cheesy, over the top RE era that thankfully RE7 thwarted... but it's a great coop game.  And not just to make fun of.  It's a longer, more creative RE5 with less tanky (ie. bad) controls.  Story had it's moments too (the end of Chris's campaign, for one).

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Resident Evil 5 & 6 are enjoyable action games, but sadly they are lacking in the panache, atmosphere and scares offered by previous games in the series.

It's like playing a Bloodborne Kart game; Maybe you will enjoy it, but It just doesn't make any sense

BTW: I don't want to get all negative.

Resident Evil 5 is probably one of the greatest co-op games ever made. And the mercenaries mode is addictive as hell. But that's about it. 

It's a great co-op game, but a BAD Resident Evil game.

Resident Evil 6 is over the top action. Just watch a Bollywood movie, so you know what to expect.

Edited by ExquisiteSteez