Are you Trophy Hunter or Platinum Hunter?

ShadowAsek

On 13.12.2017 at 3:35 PM, MeteorHawk said:

I mainly play for the enjoyment of the games. Like it doesn't irk me in the least that Nintendo games don't have trophies/ achievements, I was playing games for 12 years before I got my PS3 without such things and I survived

this may be true but it's not the question :D

I think kids of the '80/'90 that played videogames all "survived" but for some of us the idea of trophies took the gaming to a new and great level for them.

I still like nintendo and there are some games I really really loved but I still stopped playing other games than PS games.

not on purpose but its not that I miss them either. And my favorite franchises were always on PS so what :D

14 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

I only go for games that I want to play, I have no interest in playing every easy game ever made just to have like 500 plats. The games I play I go for 100% though, gives you a reason to keep playing them instead of one play through then on to the next game 

yeah thats true. in a world where I'll never be able to play everything bc too much games, and no time for them, I like to use trophies as my limit. when I got them I choose a new game.

as a kid I spend so much time on playing the same game over and over but never tried to reach for more in the game (like finding secret levels or something), I just restarted. but I only had a few games and that was okay, today I always think I won't have the time to play them all and so I stop when I reach 100% but thats far more than I ever did back in the days when I played through the game one or two times

Thats perfect for me. and since I do this there was only one time I really wanted to play the game again or go on even when I had the 100% and that was Horizon zero dawn xD so I did

14 hours ago, Ai-ds_low said:

this may be true but it's not the question :D

I think kids of the '80/'90 that played videogames all "survived" but for some of us the idea of trophies took the gaming to a new and great level for them.

I still like nintendo and there are some games I really really loved but I still stopped playing other games than PS games.

not on purpose but its not that I miss them either. And my favorite franchises were always on PS so what :D

No I'm pretty sure I answered the question- I don't just play for plats, I'll play whatever

I’m a trophy hunter that just wants to get to the highest trophy level I can while playing games I find interesting. I also don’t have the patience for extremely time-consuming trophies (unless I really enjoy the game). Of course that doesn’t mean I won’t attempt a Platinum or two. (The 180 XP bonus is pretty sweet, after all.) I even have 1 UR :platinum:.

Edited by pyrotempestwing

On 12/14/2017 at 10:59 AM, SirPigFace said:

I only go for games that I want to play, I have no interest in playing every easy game ever made just to have like 500 plats. The games I play I go for 100% though, gives you a reason to keep playing them instead of one play through then on to the next game 

I'm the exact same. I don't buy games just for platinums or trophies, but I generally try to go for the platinum on the games I do get. Don't really get the time to get through my backlog, let alone go buying games for plats!

• Like 1

I used to be a platinum hunter on my previous account, trying to keep a 98-100% completion rating. But I only bought games that I liked or some new things I wanted to try. Then I played some games with some really annoying trophies wich caused me to ragequit a lot and took me days or weeks to earn. Now, several years later, it's just not worth it anymore. I still only buy games that look interesting to me, and I will always try to go for the platinum (or 100% if it's has DLC in it), but if I notice that it's too much of a hassle, I just don't try anymore and I move on.

(examples: Dante's Inferno 25sp & 15mp trials in St. Lucia DLC (bronze trophy) - Need for Speed (2015) Prestige DLC (all bronze trophies for impossible time trials).

Nope, it's not worth it anymore.

But if it turns out I bought a game that seemed interesting but that I eventually don't like at all, I will still try to go for the trophies since I already bought it. 

But you will never see things like My Name is Mayo on my trophy list. ?

Usually I try my best not only to platinum a game but also to complete all of it's DLC.

I mostly buy what specifically caters to my interests. I don't care how popular a game is or how old a game is, if I'm interested in getting a game then I will likely buy it eventually. Although most games I purchase I don't get around to until at least six months after I got them.

I also do research on the games, determine how hard or easy they are, and go on from there. Being somewhat of a completionist I don't want to buy a game and then realize I have to spend dozens if not hundreds of hours in multiplayer. I made the mistake of playing games I clearly either can't do 100 percent or would take me a very long time to get. Grand Theft Auto V is a good example, I can't even get the Bounty Hunter trophy legit anymore on the PS3 version. So there goes any chance of a 100 percent account out the window.

That's why I have an alt. I hate having a list full of unfinished games. It looks sloppy and very unprofessional.

But people will do as they please. Some people care about completion rates and finishing hard games, others don't. That's just the way life is.

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Platinum Hunter. I believe that when buying a game, I should at least go for Platinum to get the most out of the base game and if it's a game I enjoy a lot I'll go for the 100%. I just don't understand why you would pay for the DLC of a game you didn't like, it just feels like a waste of money to me. That being said, I understand that people want to get a high completion rate and will buy DLC for games on their list in order to do so.

100% ? I try to stick to games I enjoy playing so it makes getting a Platinum/100% a lot easier. I am not really interested in buying games, playing it once then on to the next one. Same thing with just buying super easy games for Platinum's. Sometimes when you play a game then have to replay the story again you actually see something that you didn't the first time. Enjoy a blind playthrough first and then clean up trophies second (unless you cant miss any trophies in the first playthrough like Assassin Creed series).

This is a great question and one I ask myself many times. I have always loved gaming and since trophies have been introduced it has given me more incentive to experience different games I wouldn't normally look at. I have suffered from the grind of a very bad game in order to get trophies and this is something I am constantly battling against myself with (is it worth the time). I think there will probably be a clever person out there who can create an equation similar to Trophies earned  / Time taken * Fun Experienced = negative or positive. I do like trophies and I do (mostly) enjoy the challenge they set for us. Am I a Platinum Hunter probably no as I will play a great game even if it didn't have a platinum but Am I trophy Hunter well Hell Yes as I wouldn't play a game without trophies nowadays...lol

Platinums. If I can't get the platinum, then I wouldn't bother with the rest of the trophies and just complete the story before putting the game to one side and moving on. For me it's all or nothing, either 100% or the bare minimum (i.e, story trophies and anything earned along the way naturally or by chance). I could never stand getting close to the plat and having just one trophy stand in my way. The reason is that I don't have much time to game as I work really long hours, so I want to put my time and effort into games that I will and can platinum rather than waste time just getting a bunch of bronze and silvers but no platinum in another game. 

I love me a plat, but after all these years I'm more into the uber-rares. I mean if I can get the plat I will. Prime example Star Wars Battlefront. Been playing since day 1 with months of breaks and I'm actually going to be able to get the plat soon. I'm just really tired of grinding lame games. 

There are too many good games out now too though. I wont plat AC Origins or South Park til all the dlc is out. Usually a plat means I'm done so sometimes I like to wait for the dlc. Did the same with. Bioshock infinite lol. Owned it since day 1 and all. 

• 5 years later...

its platinum and in fact gold and silver grade trophies are a must, but the game must interest also, this year has seen me go from 49 plats in January to 61 at the moment , before the year is over, which means i must of got lucky or i was chasing thos high grade trophies massively  but with my current game eso , its about to slow down alot - as the platinum is by far the hardest to get :(

I am a trophy hunter. While I prefer being able to earn a platinum, it doesn't really deter me from playing games without one. I always trying to get that sweet 100%.

I would also say you could break it up into three types of trophy enthusiasts:

Trophy Hunters: People who always aim for all of the trophies they can earn.

Platinum Hunters: People who only aim for the platinum trophy.

Trophy Collectors: People who just like accumulating trophies.

• Like 3

I like getting trophies but these days I'm more about finding time to play all the games I want to play rather than complete them all. I'm more of a trophy hunter since I can try to grab a few extra trophies along the way but platinum trophies generally take too long to be worth it. There is often at least one boring/grindy trophy that's just no worth doing.