How was your gaming year - 2017 version

ab4h4r4k1

1st Jan to 17th December

:bronze: - 1812 to 2264 (+452) 

:silver: - 564 to 676 (+112) 

:gold: - 193 to 247 (+54) 

:platinum: -  44 to 55 (+11) 

Hmm, probably not my best year. I took a lot of unplanned breaks from gaming. I did work a little on my backlog though. If I remember correctly, Jan to March were my best months. 

Best game: Definitely Horizon Zero Dawn. I choose not to buy it on release due to money and because I was waiting for TWD Series 3, which wasn't that great, so I regret not buying it then, but I'm glad a friend was able to lend it to me and I played it during the summer. 

Worst game: It hurts me to say this because I'm such a big fan of the franchise, but it was Need for Speed Payback. The 3 character thing just doesn't work for this series. The handling is crap and the cops are super aggressive. After playing it a bit more, I started to like it more, but it it is still bad. Oh, and it taught me to remember about Black Friday. I never really pay attention to it, but I wish I had because I could have bought the game for £35 instead of the £50 the week before ?

Trophy of the Year: 1Lf2d260.png Platinum Trophy 
Earn all Need for Speed: The Run Trophies

I was starting to think I would never plat this game! I was so relieved when it popped! Hopefully one day I will have all plats for every game in the series! 

Edited by Beeinhollywood
  • Like 1

A great gaming year, for my part.

:bronze: From 845 to 2365 (+1520)

:silver: From 306 to 925 (+619)

:gold: From 113 to 367 (+254)

:platinum: From 27 to 88 (+61)

Best game : 

I've had my fill of great games on PS4 this year : Doom, Dishonored 1&2, Trine 1&2, Shadow Warrior, Hotline Miami 1&2, Crash Bandicoot, the Kingdom Hearts series... but the one that stood out from the rest was definitely Kingdom Hearts 2. What a great game, what a great universe and what a blast I had playing it.

On PC, however, the answer is pretty clear : Guilty Gear Xrd REV. I've been getting into fighting games a lot recentely and this one is probably the most fun, the most intricate and the most passionate fighter I've played so far. If DB FighterZ is close to being this good, then it'll probably be my GOTY alongside Kingdom Hearts 3.

Worst game :

I'd say Mafia 3. It is solid proof that game design and soundtrack don't make a game. What I remember most of this game is a shallow and repetitive gameplay, outdated graphics and, overall, wasted potential and a product to be forgotten.

Trophy of the year :

Actually, I have two trophies in mind for this nomination :

- The platinum trophy of Invisible Inc., the most time consuming trophy I've been aiming for so far.

- The platinum trophy of Jotun. Albeit not being as long as Invisible Inc.'s, it sure challenged my nerves. It's probably the hardest trophy I've ever gone for on my two accounts, and that's saying a lot.

Edited by gerboize
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2017 marked my second year as a 'trophy hunter' and it was a productive one with over 3,000 new trophies.  I'm bookmarking my year from my 2016 post to the time of this post on 12/30/2017.

:bronze: Bronze Trophies: from 1749 to 3256 (+1507)
:silver: Silver Trophies: from 688 to 1668 (+980)
:gold: Gold Trophies: from 204 to 665 (+461)
:platinum: Platinum Trophies: from 41 to 117 (+76)

PSN Level: from 19 to 31 (+12)

I played over 100 games this year, with many standouts on both ends of the spectrum, which makes naming one game in the best and worst categories difficult to do.  Instead, like last year, I will use the trophy system to name my top four in each category from fourth (bronze) to first (platinum).

Best games I played:

:bronze: Bronze: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.  This was my introduction to the Resident Evil series and to PSVR.  The immersion offered by virtual reality paired with the superb environments, story pacing, and well designed gameplay had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through.  The experience was so intense that I have not yet gone back for my second and third playthroughs to secure the platinum.  With enough of a time gap, I hope to enjoy this game like it were the first time all over again.
:silver: Silver: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.  In a year full of amazing AAA experiences, Ninja Theory provided a very pleasant indie surprise with Hellblade.  One thing I value above all else in gaming is an immersive experience and boy did this deliver.  There is no need to think about trophies as they all come naturally, leaving you to delve deep into the madness and experience a protagonist's struggle like no other game I have ever played.  If you are yet to play this gem, please do follow the on-screen advice and wear a headset throughout.
:gold: Gold: Horizon Zero Dawn.  Though it started a tad slow, the stunningly beautiful environment, crisp game mechanics, and intrigue surrounding the 'what' and 'how' this game's setting came to pass was enough to hook me.  As the story unfolded, I was treated to an elaborate, interesting, and extremely well-told narrative that was well suited for my deep interest in history, nature, technology, and the arc of civilization.  I simply did not want to put this game down and I wasn't alone.  This game has been on this site's top 10 games currently being played since launch; no other title has come close to that kind of staying power.  For a 40+ hour platinum, it also has the highest PSN rarity I can recall.
:platinum: Platinum: Nier: Automata.  I've never before (or since) heard of a demo blowing people away the way it did with this game.  It piqued my curiosity enough to pre-order and jump right in at the game's release.  The story, the characters, and the environment were gripping from the start.  I loved exploring the open world, marveling at the way the gameplay style changed time and time again, and listening to the best score I've ever heard in gaming.  Multiple playthroughs of a game is something I loathe, but I couldn't wait for my second playthrough of Nier and I was pleasantly surprised when the majority of that second playthrough was unique.  When the credits finally roll on this gem, you're in for yet another surprising and impactful moment.

Honorable Mentions: DOOM, RIGS: Mechanized Combat League, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Inside.

Worst games I played:

:bronze: Bronze: 1000 Top Rated.  A very simple sliding puzzle game that was easier and faster than My Name Is Mayo.  For shame!  At least it was honest about being platinum bait, and was subsequently pulled from the PSN store for advertising itself as such.
:silver: Silver: South Park: The Fractured But Whole.  I am a huge South Park fan; I've been on board since the very first episode aired when I was in high school.  I've especially been a fan since they began inserting thoughtful social commentary.  To that end, they have been great at making everyone 'fair game' compelling society to look in the mirror to see the absurdity in their thoughts and actions.  This game was not worthy of the South Park name.  It felt like a propaganda engine with a South Park coat of paint.  Ubisoft San Francisco indeed.  As this game dragged on, I found myself sighing and muttering out loud, "Come on!".  I was so glad to be done with this turd.
:gold: Gold: Wheels of Aurelia.  20 playthroughs of some of the most boring drivel and gameplay ever encountered is required to get the platinum in this game.  It was so difficult to stay awake when trying to finish this one off.  I wouldn't recommend it to a soul.
:platinum: Platinum: Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space.  It's oddly appropriate to use the exact same wording I used for this 'award' last year with Orc Slayer: "What a steaming pile of garbage.  I picked this one up for a low price looking for an easy platinum.  It was so bad, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it through.  It should be completed in one sitting, but I had to step away and hate-finish it later on."

Dishonorable Mentions: Adam's Venture: Origins, Magus, Severed, NCIS, Energy Cycle.

• Like 2

Mine was ok, very busy in that this was the year I graduated medical school, moved to a new country to work in a super busy job with lots of overtime and night shifts, so I would be lucky to get more than 1-2 hours of gaming a day but not everyday.

Best Game I played: FFXII TZA, reliving a nostalgic FF favourite. Loved the new zodiac job system, increasing game speed, auto save, new treasure mechanics and weapon additions etc. Overall a fantastic FF that really kicked FFXV out of the water for me this year. Got it on sale as well!

Worst Game I played: Steins Gate and Steins Gate 0, just hated it. I don't have any interest in otaku culture and Akihabara stuff so I had no clue what all the slang was in this game. Also, the main character was a weirdo, and judging by the female character design and lack of male character design, this game seems to be aimed more at guys into anime/ otaku culture overall than girls.

Trophy of the Year: Tales of Berseria, it took the longest (125 hours) but I loved the game and love Tales. I also like to collect Tales series platinums and am particularly proud of adding this one to my collection. Am really hoping for a new Tales announcement this year.

In terms of 2017 plats, it's been fairly steady: 8 to 18 (+10): very little compared to most people here, but I'm still proud of my Tales of FF platinum collection over the years

1. FFXIII: 75 hours, my first 2017 plat and I enjoyed it a lot. It's the second time I platinumed this game anyway back in 2010. 

2. FFXIII-2: An easy 50 hours, second time platinuming this as well. 

3. Tales of Berseria: 125 hours, this took up a good 2 or so months of the year and was very time consuming/ grindy. Not hard though.

4. Psycho Pass: Easy and quick

5. Steins Gate: Hated it, but just read gritted and read it to the the platinum as it was free on plus anyway

5 & 6 Steins Gate 0 (x2 plats, one for vita and one for PS4): Free on plus, hated it but it's 2 free easy platinums

7. Amnesia V Edition: My first otome game, loved the characters and story, an easy plat. 

8. Life is Strange: Very interesting, but short and finished in 1 week.

10. FFXV: Easy 50 hours, didn't really enjoy it as an FF though, too much driving.

Games that I intended to plat but ended up carrying them onto Jan 2018:

1. Collar x Malice: Almost done, on the last stretch.

2. FFXII TZA: Almost done, just the bestiary trophy and trial mode to do.

Games downloaded free on PS Plus for the sake of it but have yet to play:

1. Disgaea 4 Return: don't intend on ever platinuming this, but I will play the story

2. Atelier Sophie

3. Witch and the Hundred Knight

4. Tearaway

Games I bought in 2017 just because they were on sale but haven't got around to playing yet. Plan on doing these this year:

Sherlock Holmes A Devil's Daughter

Nier Automata

Hyakka Hyakurou Sengoku (Nightshade otome game)

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 (probably too difficult for me as I suck as KH)

Games I failed to platinum due to either difficulty, boredom or my patience not being enough:

Tales of Symphonia: 5 playthroughs no skip scenes and me with no patience for that

Tales of Symphonia Ratatosk: hated it, didn't even play past the first town

Tales of Zestiria: hated it, just did the story

Persona 4 Golden: never bothered, but might eventually

Hatsune Miku project diva f: hated it, boredom

FFX: The mini games and Blitzball deterred me, in particular the chocobo game and lightning dancer.

Disgaea D2: Lack of patience for the grindy nature of disgaea platinums

• Like 1

:bronze: Bronze Trophies: 482 -> 661 (+179)

:silver: Silver Trophies: 159 -> 234 (+75)

:gold: Gold Trophies: 33 -> 49 (+16)

:platinum: Platinum Trophies: 9 -> 16 (+7)

:hidden: (Total Trophies): 683 -> 960 (+277)

Best game(s) I played: 3-Way tie between Battlefield 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim & Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Worst game(s) I played: Tomb Raider: Anniversary (least interesting in the series, what else can I say :lol:)

Proudest Platinum: Battlefield 4. I got this game back in September 2014 for R100 because I really wanted to try out the series and see if there was any way I could give it some comparison to the arch rivals Call of Duty. It was very awesome with realistic graphics and the gameplay motion. I never got to play online, because the patch wasn't installed but then I finally returned to it in December of 2016 and installed it to view more game modes which made the game even more captivating. The best part of this platinum was that I unlocked it during the first 10 minutes of 2017 on the 1st of January. It was at 12:08 at midnight. 

Another one would be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. As a fan of open world games (not RPG, but this one was great) like Grand Theft Auto, this gave me a beautiful sensation of the game. Many of my friends hate game like this and even criticized it, but that didn't stop me from playing or enjoying the game. I got around to play many side missions such as the ones of The Imperials, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild, etc. The map was so huge and I loved it. The collectibles in Skyrim are probably the best to collect. You can either fast travel or walk there yourself or use other transports like horses, etc. 

Hopefully this year I can do better like last year. School will obviously come in the way and have some people talking and criticizing how few trophies I have and laughing at the zeros in my stats. Hope everyone has a productive 2018 year and good luck on all your trophy hunting endeavors. :)   

Edited by ee28max
  • Like 2

Started and finished the following games...

GTAV 100%  of course i've lost it for the time being

Wolfenstein The old blood 100%

Mad Max 100%

Just Cause 3 100%

Life is strange 100%

Star Wars Battlefront 2 100%

Tom Clancys Ghost Recon Wildlands 100%

COD Black ops 3 platinum no 100%

COD Ghosts 100%

Resogun PS4 100%

Alienation 100%

Watch dogs 100%

Watch dogs 2 100%

Friday the 13th 100%

Metro 2033 100%

Metro Redux 100%

Undertale 100%

Tales from the borderlands 100%

MGSV Ground zeros 100%

Arcade classics dig dug 100%

Arcade classics mrs. pacman 100%

Arcade classics Pacman 100%

Horizon Zero dawn 100%

Infamous 1st light 100%

Far Cry primal 100%

Far Cry 4 100%

Dead Island Riptide 100%

Ratchet and Clank 100%

I also had already started and finished...

The division dlc 100%

Wolfenstein the new order 100%

Star Wars Battlefront 100%

MGSV 100%

All battlefield 1 dlc

I'm missing a few

Edited by steel6burgh

:bronze: - 0 to 805

:silver: - 0 to 280

:gold: - 0 to 119

:platinum: - 0 to 26

After almost 9 years on Xbox360, I decided to go back to Playstation. Biggest reason was obviously the crazy amount of good! exclusive titles. I did not regret a single second of my decision. Since I haved missed so many great games, my backlog grew fast and steady.

There are still many games to Play this year, and I hope there will be not so many new games for me in early 2018.

Best game: I really can't decide, because there were too many. TLoU, UC 1 - 4.5, Nex Machina, HZD, Furi .. just too many

Worst game: Unravel. Really did not feel it. Short, boring, and the platinum was no fun.

My favorite Trophy of '17:

The Last of Us: Completed Grounded Mode + :gold:

50L5ae2fd.png

I did not enjoy my first playthrough. Because of this trophy, my opinion towards the game changed in a positive way. That's the reason, it wins the Place as my favorite trophy in '17

Edited by Mori-101

In 2017:

- Achieved 31 Platinums, 9 of which were ultra rare

- brought my completion percentage to 91%(my target for the year was 90%)

- now have 222 games at 100%(my target was 210)

So regarding gaming, it was a very good year. I dropped year-over-year in terms of Platinums achieved but really increased in terms of quality.

Proudest moment - Mortal Kombat platinum, which was also my 200th platinum?

Best game - Rebel Galaxy. Such an unexpected treat.

Worst game - Toro. Omg what a mess.

Wishing everyone a stellar 2018!

:bronze: Bronze Trophies: 2,779 to 3,424 (+645) 

:silver: Silver Trophies: 1,194 to 1,440 (+246)

:gold: Gold Trophies: 367 to 475 (+110)

:platinum: Platinum Trophies: 70 to 89 (+19)

:hidden: (Total Trophies): 4,410 to 5.428 (+1,018)

Best game I played: Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor - Game Of The Year Edition

Worst game(s) I played: Linger In The Shadows, Deliriant, and .detuned. They were all too short. 

Proudest platinum: Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor. That game took a lot out of me. It was fun, captivating, and unprecedented. I got it courtesy of the mid-year sale for $3.99 (thanks to PS Plus for the extra 10% discount) The platinum for the  game was easy to obtain, but the 2 dlc trophies, The Hunt Is My Mistress and Lord Of The Ring, were what made completing the entire game really difficult. Even though they weren't associated with the plat, it was still fun and rewarding to pull off such daunting and tedious tasks. 

Wow, I've accumulated more trophies than I anticipated. 2017 was one heck of a year if I do say so myself. Of course it had its ups and downs (mostly ups) but it was still a great year for me nonetheless. I broke personal records in trophy hunting, such as platinums earned in a year. I've played games that I never thought I would play, such as Infamous: Second Son, Ratchet & Clank, and Middle- Earth: Shadow Of Mordor - Game Of The Year Edition.  I've gotten into numerous top 50 fastest achievers list for the majority of the games that I played. I did many things that I'm proud of in 2017 and I hope to do more in 2018. Have a great day! :)

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 3

:bronze: Bronze trophies: 2,644 to 2988 (+344)

:silver: Silver trophies: 748 to 884 (+136)

:gold: Gold trophies: 197 to 248 (+51)

:platinum: Platinum trophies: 40 to 51 (+11)

:hidden: Total trophies: 3629 to 4171 (+542)

Personal Game of the Year 2017 - My personal Game of the year for 2017 goes to Assassin's Creed: Origins. This was also the last game I played in 2017 as I got it for Christmas and I am having so much fun with it and is I believe the best one since Black Flag. I have not finished the game as of writing but I have already put in over 40 hours of play time and I am not bored yet. After this game I am interested to see where the series goes next.

Personal Worst Game of 2017 - My personal worst game that I played in 2017 goes to Assassin's Creed: Unity. This game came out in 2014 and I decided to play it this year as it was cheaper and wanted to catch up on the series before Origins. I don't think this was nearly as bad as people made out and I did enjoy it but I got bored much quicker and struggled to complete it. The complete opposite of what I am feeling with Origins where I don't want to end. 

Proudest Platinum of 2017 - This year I broke my personal record for number of platinum trophies earned previously 9 in 2016 and now 11 in 2017. My proudest one of the year is Thumper. Surprising as not many people own the game but it has a rarity of 3.56% Ultra Rare so it couldn't be anything else. It does get very challenging and fast in later levels and must be played in VR. I never played this game without VR and I think it would be harder to complete in normal view.

Platinum Trophies Earned in 2017

Watch Dogs 2 - 14th January 

Battlefield 1 - 3rd February 

Assassin's Creed II (PS4) - 9th February

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS4) - 26th February

Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS4) - 13th March

Fallout 4 - 17th March

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered - 6th April

Crash Bandicoot - 30th July

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - 6th August

Thumper - 9th December

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - 17th December

Looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings. Hoping to clear some of my backlog!