What "must haves" is my collection missing? (PS3)

Dreakon13

So I finally got a shelf to put all my lovely games, movies and collectible items on... they've just been in bins since I moved a few months ago... and I came to the realization that I actually don't have that many games!  I mean, I have a lot of games, but not enough to fill up a shelf. xD

I'd like to bolster my collection a little further, but I do kinda feel like I've hit most of the big targets.  Not that every game I currently have is objectively a "must have" certainly... but they're games I liked or perhaps want to play/replay someday.  So I look to you, the Playstation community, to offer up suggestions of games I should probably add to my collection before I close the doors on the PS3 generation.  Maybe they're simply personal favorites/must haves of yours, maybe it's a game largely considered the best of the best that I happened to overlook, etc.  No holds barred really.  Can be any genre.  Can be multi-platform (ie. not necessarily a PS3 exclusive).  I don't care about trophies, so no need to worry about platinum attainability.

Not even terribly concerned if it's a game I like.  If it was a big PS3 release (or an underappreciated gem) back in the day, I want it in my collection.

Only rule is obviously, it needs to be something that I can buy in disc form.  Since it's for my physical collection.

(EDIT: Feel free to suggest any that have been remastered for PS4 that aren't in the list, though in some cases I may already have the remaster/port on a current-gen console.)

To get the ball rolling, a good example of a generation "stand-out" that I don't have... is Far Cry 3.  So I'll be looking into getting a copy of that.

You can see my current collection below.  Appreciate any help!

Spoiler

3D Dot Game Heroes
Beyond: Two Souls

Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Demon's Souls
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster
God of War 3
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition

Grand Theft Auto V
Heavy Rain
Journey Collection (Journey, Flower and flOw)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
LittleBigPlanet
LittleBigPlanet 2

LittleBigPlanet 3
Mafia II
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mass Effect Trilogy
Max Payne 3
Mirror's Edge
NHL 14
Ni No Kuni
NieR
The Orange Box (Portal, Half Life 2+Episodes, Team Fortress 2)
Portal 2
Prince of Persia (2008)
Remember Me
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Skate 2
Sleeping Dogs
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Yakuza 4

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

You are missing a few of key great titles for the PS3 like : 

- Catherine

- Dark Souls

- Bioshock Trilogy ( you have those in Bioshock Collection for PS4 so probably get on that one )

- Bayonetta 

- Vanquish

- Assassin's Creed II 

- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ( also on PS4)

- Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut 

- Metal Gear Solid 4 :  Guns of the Patriots

- Killzone 2 & 3

- Infamous 1 & 2

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

You are missing a few of key great titles for the PS3 like : 

- Catherine

- Dark Souls

- Bioshock Trilogy ( you have those in Bioshock Collection for PS4 so probably get on that one )

- Bayonetta 

- Vanquish

- Assassin's Creed II 

- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ( also on PS4)

- Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut 

- Metal Gear Solid 4 :  Guns of the Patriots

- Killzone 2 & 3

- Infamous 1 & 2

Awesome, yes.  Great list!  Thanks!

Bayonetta scares me a little because I heard the PS3 port was atrocious.  That might be one I just pick up on the Switch (along with Bayonetta 2 and 3) next year... assuming the collection gets a non-digital release.  Vanquish has been a struggle to find a reasonably priced new or used copy of, in good condition.  The rest I'll look into where appropriate. :)

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

God of War Collection (2 games) or God of War Saga (5 games).  I know most were released on PS2 and Vita, but playing them again on PS3 was fun.

Just Cause 2 (I've owned it for a while, but only played 3, and my disc drive broke, so at some point I'll cycle back around to it, but my understanding is it's the best of the JC games by a landslide).

The Saboteur!  Easily one of my most favorite games of all time, or at the very least, a generation.  Old school GTA style, WWII Nazi occupied France and you're an Irish racecar driver.  Free climbing elements akin to AC games and a cool mechanic of a black and white world that becomes colored as you liberate areas.  It's really pretty awesome, and not a hard plat, either.

GTA V?  Maybe you got it on PS4 instead?  Not as good as past games like Vice City and San Andreas, but good fun nonetheless.

Gran Turismo 5 - Hard as hell in general, even worse if you want plat, but the best racing game on PS3, IMO.

All the Ass Creeds?  You have none listed.  2 and Brotherhood are must haves.  After that, it depends on your tastes.

Borderlands 1 and 2.  1 was fine, 2 was magnificent.  I guess you could get pre-sequel if you want, but it's merely ok.

The inFamous games - these are kinda the barebones to any PS3 catalog

There's probably many more, but seeing as there's so much you don't have, I'd start here and fill in the gaps as you go.

Disclaimer: I did not look at your trophy list before making these recommendations, so you may have some of this stuff elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

God of War Collection (2 games) or God of War Saga (5 games).  I know most were released on PS2 and Vita, but playing them again on PS3 was fun.

Just Cause 2 (I've owned it for a while, but only played 3, and my disc drive broke, so at some point I'll cycle back around to it, but my understanding is it's the best of the JC games by a landslide).

The Saboteur!  Easily one of my most favorite games of all time, or at the very least, a generation.  Old school GTA style, WWII Nazi occupied France and you're an Irish racecar driver.  Free climbing elements akin to AC games and a cool mechanic of a black and white world that becomes colored as you liberate areas.  It's really pretty awesome, and not a hard plat, either.

GTA V?  Maybe you got it on PS4 instead?  Not as good as past games like Vice City and San Andreas, but good fun nonetheless.

Gran Turismo 5 - Hard as hell in general, even worse if you want plat, but the best racing game on PS3, IMO.

All the Ass Creeds?  You have none listed.  2 and Brotherhood are must haves.  After that, it depends on your tastes.

Borderlands 1 and 2.  1 was fine, 2 was magnificent.  I guess you could get pre-sequel if you want, but it's merely ok.

The inFamous games - these are kinda the barebones to any PS3 catalog

There's probably many more, but seeing as there's so much you don't have, I'd start here and fill in the gaps as you go.

Disclaimer: I did not look at your trophy list before making these recommendations, so you may have some of this stuff elsewhere.

Good call, I have the Borderlands Handsome Collection elsewhere.  That'd probably suffice for that series, maybe pick up Borderlands 1 cheap at some point to round things out.  I have GTA V elsewhere as well.  (I've added a few games to my list in the OP to avoid overlap.)

I may look into Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood.  Not a huge fan of the series but I should probably own the standouts at least.  Same with inFamous.

I wouldn't trust my PSN trophy list at all.  I've bought and sold so many games over the years it's not indicative of what I really have on any platform.  Part of the reason I got disgruntled with it and am taking to collecting games instead of trophies.

Will look into the rest. :)  Thanks!

Edited by Dreakon13

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Awesome, yes.  Great list!  Thanks!

Bayonetta scares me a little because I heard the PS3 port was atrocious.  That might be one I just pick up on the Switch (along with Bayonetta 2 and 3) next year... assuming the collection gets a non-digital release.  Vanquish has been a struggle to find a reasonably priced new or used copy of, in good condition.  The rest I'll look into where appropriate. :)

I suppose it will be better to play on Switch instead on the PS3  alongisde Bayo 2 and the up-coming Bayo 3 . The PS3 sure has his framerate issues and bugs , even the xbox 360 version seems to run better . Get it on Switch if you can , it's a great game and i suppose Bayonetta would be also although i haven't played it yet , no Wii U and no Switch for me now .

Just now, Primeape said:

Great list of games you have and great recommendations from people replying to this thread.

Of the top of my head...

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Dragon's Crown

And the HD collections (Jak, Sly, Ratchet, ICO/SOTC, GOW, etc.)

I still have Dark Arisen yet to play on PS3 . Also Dark Arisen was ported to PS4 . 

Dragon's Crown is a good coop game to play up to 4 people together as a Beat'em Up style brawler , good choice for tons of fun .

As for HD Collections besides those mentioned by Primeape here , i also suggest MGS HD and DMC HD Collection 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Primeape said:

Great list of games you have and great recommendations from people replying to this thread.

Off the top of my head...

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Dragon's Crown

And the HD collections (Jak, Sly, Ratchet, ICO/SOTC, GOW, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll probably avoid digging too deep into the well of PS2 collections/remasters for now, except those I really liked.  Focused more on the actual PS3 generation of games.  On that note, sidebar, I'll probably end up getting the Shadow of the Colossus remake. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

Assassin’s Creed I-Rogue

Amplitude

Alien: Isolation
Aliens vs Predator

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City

Borderlands 1

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Call of Duty4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Call of Duty: World at War
Dead Space 3

Dead Nation

Dead Island

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Devil May Cry 4

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

DmC Devil May Cry

Dragon’s Crown

Dragon Age: Origins

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Dragon Age II

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Dragon’s Dogma
Dark Souls II

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Doom 3

Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

Dynasty Warriors 7

Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires

Dynasty Warriors 8

Far Cry 3

Far Cry 4

FEZ
Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

FIFA 14
God of War Collection

God of War Origins Collection

Goat Simulator

Hotline Miami

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Injustice: Gods Among Us

inFamous

inFamous 2

Just Cause 2

Just Dance 3

Killer is Dead

Killzone Trilogy

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga

LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

LEGO Batman

LEGO Batman 2

LEGO Indiana Jones

LEGO The Lord of the Rings

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Lone Survivor
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Mortal Kombat

Motorstorm

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations

Need for Speed: Carbon

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Need for Speed: Shift

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Odin Sphere  Leifthrasir

Okami HD

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+

Persona 5

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica X

Resident Evil: Revelations

Resistance

Resistance 2

Resistance 3

Saints Row 2

Saints Row: The Third

Saints Row IV

Samurai Warriors 4

Scott Pilgrim vs the World*

skate.
Skate 3

Sly Cooper HD Collection

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Sniper Elite V2

Starhawk

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Street Fighter X Tekken

Super Stardust HD

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Tekken 6

Tekken Tag Tournament HD

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Evil Within

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead: Season 2

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Wet
Yakuza 5

* No longer available through PSN. Game can still be purchased through GameStop or Amazon.

• Like 3

Alice: Madness Returns is something I would consider to be a hidden gem on the PS3 so it may be something to look into.

Other games I can think of off the top of my head:

- Darksiders 1 & 2

- Fat Princess

- The F.E.A.R. games (the first one is a must-have horror title in my opinion)

- Chronicles of Riddick

- Lost Planet 2

- Dante's Inferno (God of War like game)

Edited by Lawless_Llama
  • Like 1

Ridge Racer Unbounded

Earth Defense Force 2025

Grid 2

Katamari Forever

[Prototype 2]

Driver: San Francisco

Lollipop Chainsaw

Sniper Elite III

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (you can't plat it, but it is considered the actual 3rd movie in the original franchise)

The Godfather 1 & 2

IL*2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Birds of Steel

The Darkness 1 & 2

• Like 1

Dark Souls (as many have said already)

Just about any of the numbered Resident Evil games (0-6) except 2 and 3, which are only available digitally as PS1 classics. I think most of them (0, 1, 4, 5, and 6) are on PS4 as well, though.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (Get it mainly for Tales of Symphonia. Dawn of the New World is... not so great.)

Trails of Cold Steel I and II (two games from what is imo the greatest JRPG series in existence)

I was going to recommend Soul Calibur II HD as well, but I'm pretty sure it is digital only.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 7:26 PM, Cassylvania said:

Spec Ops: The Line is the most criminally underrated game on the PS3. I'd check that one out.

Do you feel like a her yet?

Also, check out:

Assassin's creed 4: Black flag (it's also released on next gen consoles),

Valkyria chronicles 1 is a very very underrated Ps3 classic that also has a PS4 remaster,

Demon's souls (though the server is closing on February 28,  2018 though all trophies are earnable offline, though it'll be easier with a friend.), 

Dead Space 1 and 2 or the forefront of survival horror and when they came out 

Remember me and Mirror's edge are good too

Bioshock 2 and Bioshock infinite are fucking masterpeices

Fallout 3 is the only other good Fallout game under Bethesda's name besides New Vegas

I know other people mentioned Spec ops: The line and Vanquish, but they're fucking good and have platinums you can be proud off, especially Vanquish because that platinum is fucking hard (proud owner of a 2.5% platinum).

Skyrim and Oblivion=bethesda classics.

Also @Starlight Dreams has a really good list to look at 

Edited by wackt1
I meant Valkyria chronicles 1, not 3

31 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

Do you feel like a her yet?

Also, check out:

Assassin's creed 4: Black flag (it's also released on next gen consoles),

Valkyria chronicles 3 is a very very underrated Ps3 classic that also has a PS4 remaster,

Demon's souls (though the server is closing on February 28,  2018 though all trophies are earnable offline, though it'll be easier with a friend.), 

Dead Space 1 and 2 or the forefront of survival horror and when they came out 

Remember me and Mirror's edge are good too

Bioshock 2 and Bioshock infinite are fucking masterpeices

Fallout 3 is the only other good Fallout game under Bethesda's name besides New Vegas

I know other people mentioned Spec ops: The line and Vanquish, but they're fucking good and have platinums you can be proud off, especially Vanquish because that platinum is fucking hard (proud owner of a 2.5% platinum).

Skyrim and Oblivion=bethesda classics.

Also @Starlight Dreams has a really good list to look at 

3 was never on the ps3, it was a psp title with no remaster

Ar tonelico Qoga and Ar nosurge are both worth owning