PSN name change...can the site cope?

Greetings all.

At the PlayStation Experience 2017 event there was talk of us being able to change our PSN names. This is great idea. Question is, will this site be able to cope with that change?

For example, I am a premium member, but if I changed my PSN name, would I have to pay again?

Best regards,

Stephen.

I've always thought it would be great to change the stupid name I went with all them years ago without putting any thought into it whatsoever. At the end of the day though it will still be me playing the games earning the trophies so what difference does it make. 

If I did ever change my name though I think I'd have

FARTSareGHOSTSofFOODweEAT :0

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HumanError101 said:

Greetings all.

At the PlayStation Experience 2017 event there was talk of us being able to change our PSN names. This is great idea. Question is, will this site be able to cope with that change?

For example, I am a premium member, but if I changed my PSN name, would I have to pay again?

Best regards,

Stephen.

EDIT: whoops misinterpreted question, ignore

Edited by Zanreo

There are more identifiers than just the PSN name. I'm sure there is at least an unique identifier (GUID) for every user. We as users won't see them, but they are there to structure the data in the database.

A simple name change shouldn't affect any webapplication worth its salt.

Edited by Ric
  • Like 1

I didn't think they would entertain the idea but there has been more and more talk of it happening. They said removing games from your list was impossible but they can do it with 0% games so I think it's a matter of time before name changing happens. Might be something they charge people for 

6 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

I didn't think they would entertain the idea but there has been more and more talk of it happening. They said removing games from your list was impossible but they can do it with 0% games so I think it's a matter of time before name changing happens. Might be something they charge people for 

Why? Shu said ages ago (mid-ish last gen) it would require a lot of work, like fixing sub-accounts not being able to change to master accounts. Which they only got around to fixing this gen. And that was an actual issue worth complaining about, while this one is just a minor annoyance. 

It's not a quick fix. PSN wasn't built for it, but Sony has known for ages that people want it. It's just a matter of resource management. 

I hope, if they do this, that they also purge names that haven't been used since, say, 2010. Or at least the ones with no trophies and no account purchases. It'd be a shame to finally get this feature and then realize all of the good names are already taken.

That said, I like my name and wouldn't change it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2017 at 2:51 AM, Cassylvania said:

I hope, if they do this, that they also purge names that haven't been used since, say, 2010. Or at least the ones with no trophies and no account purchases. It'd be a shame to finally get this feature and then realize all of the good names are already taken.

That said, I like my name and wouldn't change it.

If this did happen, the system would use a tag feature similar to that of Discord's. For example, on Discord you can have any name you want, even if it's taken, but it's your tag at the end of your name (ddracarys#3852), that differentiates me from other ddracarys' out there. Once again, if this did happen (which I hope it doesn't), you would be able to take any name on PSN, except tags would become a thing. I am assuming that sites like these would use those tags to continue running properly, but hey, I don't know anything about how to run a site.

Edited by ddracarys

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, BlindMango said:

Sly would have a more solid answer but the hope is that PSN will push out an ID number for each name, otherwise the site would just draw the new data from the username and somehow link the data - as usual PSN never makes it easy or organized :dunno:

We all have an email linked to our PSN accounts, yes?

As someone who is familiar with building websites and that sort of stuff (I do it for a living), any PSN name change doesn't mean you are changing the email associated with the account (necessarily). So that would be how the data is linked, since each email would serve as the equivalent of an ID, since each email is unique.

Now, if the user chooses to change their email address at the same time, well then, hopefully, PSN is accounting for that.

There also might be other ways PSN uses to make the accounts unique besides email. That is just one example, and for me, the obvious one. However, sometimes people don't use the obvious when building and running websites.

Edited by ShogunCroCop
  • Like 1