Nintendo Switch: over 10 million units sold

Oobedoob S Benubi

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/putting-nintendo-switchs-10-million-sales-in-context/

(and many other sources)

Well, the Nintendo Switch has hit the magical mark of 10 million units sold.

Put into perspective, the PS4 sold 10 million in about its first nine months as well, X1 took a year to get to 10 million.

Looking at Nintendo consoles, it's selling slower than the Wii or 3DS (13M and 15M shipped respectively on the first quarter end after nine months, which was a little over ten months for both) but a lot faster than the Wii U (which took 2.5 years to get to 10 million units shipped).

One can only imagine how many consoles would have been sold had Nintendo been able to produce more consoles early on - remember that Nintendo's original goal was 8 million units manufactured after a full year, they upped production after discovering that once again, they were hilariously underestimating the demand. Consoles have been readily available the past few months, but things were very different half a year ago.

It's a safe bet to say that everyone who already wanted to have a Switch by now has found one, and if the reports (and sounds on the forums) are correct then the Switch will steadily keep selling units thanks to Nintendo's "one high profile first/second party title a month" approach continuing to attract more people, like the recent reveal that Bayonetta 1 and 2 will be ported to the Switch along with getting a third, Switch exclusive installment.

Edited by Pickle Rick
punctuation

It's well deserved, the concept works and the game flow is steady :)

Having a lot of fun currently with Xenoblade. Will probably buy Golf Story at some point. And I still need to play the Zelda DLC and complete Mario.

But Skyrim VR on my PSVR hogs all my game time lately ?

52 minutes ago, Jigglypuff said:

Glad Nintendo is getting its shit together finally.

True that.

Now they just need to port over the complete WiiU exclusive game library and we're good to go.

There are so many good titles, but who the fuck owns a WiiU?

Edited by Joker

41 minutes ago, Joker said:

I do :D

However, my internal memory is corrupt :(

Bayo 2 is coming to Switch soon so that's another Wii U port. But honestly, the only other two games I would like to play on Switch are Donkey Kong and Captain Toad. Captain Toad would play especially well on a handheld :) 

Edited by Sicho

1 hour ago, Zanreo said:

Great to hear :D I'm really glad to see Nintendo doing great with the Switch, and I'm very happy with the console myself! Can't wait to see what the next years have to offer in terms of Switch games :D

Personally I would not mind if it'll be a while until there's a new game that appeals a lot to me, so I can finally get to finishing some of the games I've had for a while.

1 hour ago, Jigglypuff said:

Glad Nintendo is getting its shit together finally.

Well, more together than usual. There's a bunch of little stuff that's annoying, like how there still are no mynintendo.com deals on Switch titles while platinum points are already expiring (after half a year) while the goldpoints will expire in less than three months now for day one buyers. Lots of people only have a Switch yet there's still only deals on Wii U and 3DS titles.

But hey, as long as it's little stuff like this and not "what the hell would we want a console whose controller is an iPad"...

1 hour ago, Sicho said:

It's well deserved, the concept works and the game flow is steady :)

Having a lot of fun currently with Xenoblade. Will probably buy Golf Story at some point. And I still need to play the Zelda DLC and complete Mario.

But Skyrim VR on my PSVR hogs all my game time lately 1f600.png

I'm enjoying Golf Story a lot, it's my current focus game on the Switch. Well worth the small price, in my opinion.

56 minutes ago, Joker said:

True that.

Now they just need to port over the complete WiiU exclusive game library and we're good to go.

14 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Bayo 2 is coming to Switch soon so that's another Wii U port. But honestly, the only other two games I would like to play on Switch are Donkey Kong and Captain Toad. Captain Toad would play especially well on a handheld :) 

I never got a Wii U. There's several Wii U titles I'd like to play but zero titles that actually make me want to buy the console.

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

It's a safe bet to say that everyone who already wanted to have a Switch by now has found one, and if the reports (and sounds on the forums) are correct then the Switch will steadily keep selling units thanks to Nintendo's "one high profile first/second party title a month" approach continuing to attract more people, like the recent reveal that Bayonetta 1 and 2 will be ported to the Switch along with getting a third, Switch exclusive installment.

A few days ago I was in a Best Buy, and they had a stack of at least 5 Switches on the shelf. I don't normally pay attention to console stock but this was part of a Christmas display. So the stock shortage appears to have been resolved. It looks like people can actually buy these things for Christmas. Heck, I even saw a guy carrying a SNES Classic to the checkout register.

43 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Me too, although I don't have any issues with it. But the Switch is a better console, so I'd rather play my backlog of Wii U games on Switch instead.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze seems like a no-brainer to port, because it never used the Gamepad display (you could play it on the Gamepad or on the TV, but it never used both screens at the same time). It's been a while since I played Captain Toad but I remember it was a really charming game (which I stupidly didn't finish). If it's not completely reliant on having dual screens, it would be a good candidate for porting too. Wikipedia says it supported Off-TV Play, so it should be a potential candidate. Actually there's a decent list on the Off-TV Play page, some of which are exclusives. Many of those games could find new life on the Switch.

6 hours ago, Joker said:

True that.

I do. The 2nd screen on the gamepad was brilliantly used in some games. I kept longing for that 2nd screen when playing Splatoon 2 on Switch. 

I have no objection for porting more games from Wii U to Switch. Wonderful 101 would be a nice title to port.

• Like 1