What was your reason for an alt region account?

Lagoon Aris

I live in the US and made another US account because I didn't like my old PSN username. However, I couldn't bring myself to abandon my main account because I had so many trophies. I have a question, on PS3 there are Dark Souls Avatars in the Japan PS store. If I were to make a Japan account can I download the free avatars and use them on my main account?

I have a German Acc as Main

US Acc: first to get TLOU DLC PS3 but bought several other games. Redeemed some from the Humble Bundle

JP Acc: to get free stuff like Lara Croft & Guardian of Light, but bought Miko Gakkou a few days ago for 1 game with japanese written trophy list

HK Acc: to get free stuff like Assassin's Creed Revelations DLC (PS3), bought ICEY a few days ago

UK Acc: to get Sleeping Dogs DLC (PS3) since i imported the game from UK. Waiting for Nubla to be on discount  
CA Acc: as i don't remember the login for my US Acc i created this for cheap games - this is my top priority foreign country acc... i bought some games twice like Albedo, Black & White Bushido since they stack with the EU version...

Br Acc: for free stuff like Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault... to bad i don't remember the password, haven't played the game :D 

I created an US and UK acc pretty early to look at the games you can't get in Germany (quite a lot) but didn't put any money on an acc until i wanted TLOU DLC

Edited by Evil_Joker88

I originally made my us account to buy Catlateral Damage back when it wasnt yet released on the eu store xD

Now i mostly use it to buy us exclusives, and sometimes i browse the sales. Either just for games that i havent played yet or games with a separate us list.

EDIT: @Evil_Joker88  how did you set up the jp and hk accounts? I couldnt get past the language barrier. :P

Edited by thekiffer21

UK account is my main one, and I made a US account because a game I wanted doesn't have trophies on the EU version but was only released digitally in the US.

So now I own a physical EU copy of said game and a digital US copy.

All for trophies.

Maybe I'll use it to take advantage of the US sales but it's just such a hassle.

Doesnt surprise me, that a alot of Germans are posting here ... 

So I've got some questions.

When I purchase for example Wolfenstein: The New Collosus via an UK Account, am I able to download the game via my main account, or only with the account I purchased the game with? Furthermore, Discounts which are only for Plus Members .. does that mean i need a plus subscription for my alt account, too?

How about online features, for example The Last of Us. The Multiplayer is censored in Germany (no body parts can be "shot away"). Am I able to play a different version online via my main account?

What about payment? Can I only pay via PSN Cards?

Actually the only reason to create an alt account at the moment is Wolfenstein. I friggin' hate censorship.

Edited by Mori-101

I originally made UK and JPN accounts just to get free themes only available to their respective stores.

But then I was able to get Demon's Souls JPN version physically, but couldn't find Euro version physically, so EU Demon's Souls has been my first and only "other region" digital purchase.

I probably will make more future purchases in the future, if I can't find it physically for a reasonable price or it's a digital only kind of game I want to double/triple stack.

Edited by Primeape

Im pretty much just like the OP stated. I hava a EU main account but made a US account cus of humble bundle. After some time time i discovered some nice deals only om US store and it was my first time buying from the ps store thanks to the US account. I also have a JP account but only got it for a naruto demo long ago.

P.s. all hail the supreme leader

I live in Canada but I have EU account (long story short, I moved to Canada from England). I think I'm missing something when it comes to having accounts in different regions. Could someone shine a light on it? If I were to get let's say US account (without paying Plus on it), would I be able to access those games from my EU account and earn trophies?

2 hours ago, theSpirae said:

I live in Canada but I have EU account (long story short, I moved to Canada from England). I think I'm missing something when it comes to having accounts in different regions. Could someone shine a light on it? If I were to get let's say US account (without paying Plus on it), would I be able to access those games from my EU account and earn trophies?

Short answer - Yes

2 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Yes you would, aslong your EU account is set as primary, then your other accounts (US based too) will be able to play psplus games, games bought from store etc... online play will also work on other accounts. I buy almost all digital games from the ps store on my alt US account since its much more cheaper, but i play them on my main EU account and still get trophies

My main account is a Japanese one as I used to live in Japan and play all my games in Japanese (and still do) as I speak Japanese as a second language after studying it for a long time, so I had also used games as a language learning tool. I very much enjoy playing games in Japanese hence my main account is JP. I buy a lot of DL visual novels and otome games for my ps vita as well, which is a recent obsession of mine after playing long and hard RPGs for years, like "gaming burout". I had this account since 2013.  

I have an EU account which I made way back in 2010 for FFXIII.  To be specific it's a Euro (Ireland one) account as that's where I'm from but now live in the UK since this year. I never really used it except around the time the PS3 came out, and it has 4 platinum trophies (FFXIII, XIII-2, Tales of Graces and Tales of Vesperia) which I re-got on my Japanese account (this one). I never use that account since then but used to when I lived in Ireland hence the trophies. Didn't have Plus and never bought any DLC or anything, so it's basically just there. I have not logged into it for many many months. Euro is also super expensive. 

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have a few region accounts, seems insane not to. I've had Aussie, US & Japanese accounts for over a decade. Lately I see psblog eu updates & it's a ton of new games with one title I really want which has the disclaimer 'not available in Australia'. Happened with Ghost Blade, Chaos Code & some other stuff. Really annoying but at least I still have the option of getting those games on the US or JPN store. When the exchange rate has been good I've been able to get various things much cheaper on the US store as well.

I have the multi region accounts because I'm not looking to digitally replicate that local retail experience of a poor selection that's also overpriced.

Humble Bundle.

I can handle missing out on sales and discounts fine, I like all my stuff in one place anyway, but I will be damned if I'll miss out on the opportunity to dump down 25 or so and get a stack of games, many of which cost more than 25 on their own alone here, and then also know the money is going to charity as well, that's a twofer right there.

I've since ended up picking up things not available in Australia like Shadow Warrior 2 and My Name is Mayo on the account, but alas, both of them eventually dropped here anyways. Guess I'll just have to be happy knowing I paid less for them than I would have if I waited anyways.

My account falls under the EU banner (even though I live in Australia). But I have a Singapore and Hong Kong account and I share a Japanese, Korean and NA account with friends. There are 2 reasons for the HK, KR, NA and JP accounts:

1. Regional Stacks: Take Sound Shapes for example... that game has 4 regional stacks, so without these alt accounts I cannot get those plats.

2. Exclusive Games: Up until recently ICEY was only available on the HK store. I really wanted to play it because I heard great things about it, so I made a HK Account to play it. Same thing with My Name is Mayo. I couldn't get that on an EU account, so I had to get it on the NA Store.

The Singapore is a throwaway account I used for The COD WWII beta only :P

14 hours ago, thekiffer21 said:

EDIT: @Evil_Joker88  how did you set up the jp and hk accounts? I couldnt get past the language barrier. :P

The Hong Kong PSN has english as default language :D

For Japan PSN i use Chrome Browesr with translate option in my case german

13 hours ago, Mori-101 said:

When I purchase for example Wolfenstein: The New Collosus via an UK Account, am I able to download the game via my main account, or only with the account I purchased the game with? Furthermore, Discounts which are only for Plus Members .. does that mean i need a plus subscription for my alt account, too?

How about online features, for example The Last of Us. The Multiplayer is censored in Germany (no body parts can be "shot away"). Am I able to play a different version online via my main account?

What about payment? Can I only pay via PSN Cards?

Actually the only reason to create an alt account at the moment is Wolfenstein. I friggin' hate censorship.

You can download the game only with the account that purchased it. But when it is installed switch to your main acc and play the game with no issues. I played TLOU US Version on my German Acc with no problems. Can't say for sure but i wouldn't be surprised if they split the mp community of Wolfenstein in german and international version though. But that's just my guess! You only need one ps+ subscription on your ps4 to play online. But you don't get any ps+ advantages/offers without it. I don't care about that stuff i only use ps+ on my german acc.

To add money to a foreign account the only possibility i know works 100% are those psn cards. Hard to get a credit card with address in the US for example if you live in Germany

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...