The steady corruption of the AAA gaming industry

Zenpai

Just now, Pickle Rick said:

The Talos Principle

It's on my interest list but, like you, big backlog. I've been keeping an eye out for a boxed copy as I prefer physical when I can. Or a decent PSN sale. 

5 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

have you tried Death Squared yourself?

I'll check it out. Just watched some gameplay, looks a bit brain-bendy. Is it MP only? 

1 hour ago, StrickenBiged said:

It's on my interest list but, like you, big backlog. I've been keeping an eye out for a boxed copy as I prefer physical when I can. Or a decent PSN sale. 

I used to prefer physical but somewhere this year I turned around and started to prefer digital.

I blame Mario Kart, which I bought digitally day one because I figured I'd never sell it anyway; I'll keep playing it whenever other people come over. Once you've bought an €60 game digitally day one, going digital for smaller purchases becomes more and more trivial.

I'll check it out. Just watched some gameplay, looks a bit brain-bendy. Is it MP only? 

The main game is for two droids, which you could play with someone else but you can also play it solo (left stick red droid, right stick blue droid), which is jow I played it and I thought it was lots of fun. There are multiplayer maps for four droids, so for 2-4 players.

On 15/12/2017 at 0:32 PM, jrdemr said:

I was impelled to write this blog post after EA's closure of Visceral Studios.

On 16/12/2017 at 2:52 AM, Fragtaster said:

Impelled? You mean compelled? Damn auto-correct. If not, you're writing process sounds positively disgusting to me.?

47 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

YOU'RE? You mean "your"? Damn grammar guards....

Okay, usually I'm not one for correcting a "you're" or "it's" mistake when I see one (I just groan and move on) but it's pretty funny if it happens in the process of someone correcting someone else.

Especially as "impelled" is a perfectly cromulent word, it means being driven to do something and seems fitting in the post. It's just not as common a word as "compelled" is.

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I play most genres, I only really ignore sports games and I often don't like J-games.

My main interests are platformers, puzzlers... But I'll try a lot, I never knew I'd like Stardew Valley as much as I did.

And yeah I figured if we keep recommending indie games public in this anti-AAA thread, more people might join in (or at least take note), like how @StrickenBiged recommended Hellblade or how I recommended Death Squared to someone :) That way, much more people can weigh in or come up with new ideas.

Your profile is hidden, so I can't check what games you've played. ;)

Just going down my list of recently played games...

• Neon Chrome was pretty decent (it was even free for PS+). It's a bit like hotline miami I guess, but it got more roguelite elements. A bit luck based and maybe a tiny bit of grind to get all trophies.
  • Dungeons 2, it's like Dungeon Keeper. Basically god game where you play as the bad guy, and you gotta dig out and build your own dungeon, defend it against the good guys. :P Some light RTS elements. A little bit of grind for the plat, but not too much.
  • Echochrome was pretty decent, for some parts of it, but trophies glitched, and I had to play through entire game more than 3 times. :(
  • Headlander, pretty decent metroidvania game. Definitely Metroid inspired, but not as polished and a bit more hectic, but still overall relaxing game with some humor.
  • Stikbold!, it's cannonball. Pretty short game, but it was decent fun, but only get it if pretty cheap, and decent local MP game.
  • If you don't care too much about trophies, then Life Goes On: Done to Death. It's 2D puzzle platformer, but there's a pretty comprehensive speedrun trophy. Game has a lot of levels, but it gets a bit repetitive, and you gotta speedrun each level by itself and entire game in one go. The later levels gets a bit tricky etc. Not sure I will 100% this game tbh.
  • Unepic, it's metroidvania with focus on the RPG aspects. You basically explore a giant castle, fight against bosses etc to unlock new areas. I wrote a guide for this game.
  • Hue, sidescroller puzzle platformer. It's been free for PS+, definitely worth the quick playthrough that it is.
  • Salt n Sanctuary, 2D side scroller Dark Souls, done really well.
  • The Escapists, games can get a bit repetitive, but the concept is pretty cool and the levels are varied enough. But yeah, gets very repetitive by the end. You basically live in a prison or whatever, and gotta find a way to escape. You do this by finding items and crafting etc. You got a lot of stuff you gotta do every day in prison, and you gotta find ways to collect and steal stuff, and find ways to escape. You can buy stuff, befriend people, fight etc. They also made a walking dead version of the games.
  • Oceanhorn, it's like the old 2D zelda games.
  • Party Hard, it's puzzle game where you gotta find a way to kill everyone in a party. Basically, people everywhere, and you gotta find a way to kill them without the police arresting you. If people see a dead body, the police will come, and if they saw you killed them, or you're the only one near the dead body, they will run to call the police and say you did it.
  • Quest of Dungeons, not that great, but pretty decent, just gets too repetitive in the end. It's basically roguelike game where you choose a character and you fight your way down a dungeon. Enemies move and attack when you do, so it's turn based.
  • Type:Rider, okay sidescroller platformer...
  • Pneuma: Breath of Life, first person puzzle platformer, a bit like Portal and Talos Principle. Not as big of a game though, and aims more for the atmosphere.
  • The Talos Principle, same as Pneuma, but this is much more like Portal, but much bigger and more complex. Less humor though, but it's a really good game.
  • Funk of Titans, idk, it was fun for what it was. Look up video of it before you buy this. :P
  • Velocity Ultra, shmup, but not as much focus on shooting and a story etc, but more about getting through levels and doing challenges.
  • Risk of Rain, a bit grindy in the end, but it's a side scrolling rogue-like game, look up a video.
  • Fenix Furia, like N++ and Super Meat Boy etc, just a tad bit easier. Very fast paced. Great game, a bit glitchy trophies the devs might fix, but got all the trophies.
  • Bard's Gold, SNES inspired rogue-lite side scrolling adventure game.
  • RETSNOM, side scrolling puzzle platformer. Should be pretty cheap, and I liked it a lot.
  • Ether One, first person puzzle game, a bit glitchy on consoles.

Can post more later. :P 

• Like 1

I skimmed this. But the part that makes me saddest is that Amy Hennig keeps running into problems. I desperately want her next game. First she gets... seemingly shoved out of Naughty Dog and loses control over a franchise that she helped to popularize. And imo the initial trailer reveal of U4, before it was reworked, so basically the teaser of what we never got... was 100x more interesting than the whole of U4. Then her next project has problems because EA is shitty. It's just a bummer. U3 had it's problems, but I think it was in part due to them not delaying a game before TLoU. Granted, not all the problems would be fixed with time [writing; some characters didn't feel necessary but more a cameo/obligation to include]. But overall it was still a great game and I loved it.

That said, I don't buy into the doom and gloom. The fact there are SP examples to counteract EA's dumb statements is all you need to disprove the "decline" of gaming people love to doomsay about. Things are fine. There's always been crappy games. There have always been money grubbing practices. Pokemon's dual releases are a prime example of this, and that started on the Gameboy in the mid 90s (in Japan; late 90s ww). And colors are used to get people to rebuy hardware itself, which the N64 did as well.

People need to take off the rose tinted glasses. Things have always been this way. Some companies push to milk you more than others. Accept it, move on. Buy what you want.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 0:59 AM, Elvick_ said:

I skimmed this. But the part that makes me saddest is that Amy Hennig keeps running into problems. I desperately want her next game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig#Writing_style

Not sure why she thinks the term "platformer" is outdated and misused these days, but I can only imagine it's because it was used about Jak & Daxter and Uncharted. Both those series had some platforming sections, and so she's right in that case that it doesn't fit those games all that well. Indeed, the later Jak games and all the Uncharted games is exactly what she describe as "traversal", but this I think is where the games went wrong to a certain degree, especially in the second game of the Jak series. The Jak games just halfway do everything, while the Uncharted series started with this in mind. She's right about games focusing too much on graphics, and I guess this is something she has struggled a bit with at ND, because those guys like to do new graphically challenging stuff for the sake of it. Where I think she's wrong is that the games to greatly improve instead needs to be to have writers focus on creative expression. I think more time should be focused on a good gameplay experience and not how to get and keep a large userbase and milk it for money. Soundtrack makes a big difference too, and story can be important if this is a focus in the game. It's hard to tell if she's got her way at ND or not, and if the Jak and Uncharted series is what she thinks it should be like. In which case I guess she wants the story to focus on the gameplay, which seems to harm the gameplay. I can however see a better argument for adapting the gameplay to tell the story itself while keeping good gameplay itself at the forefront. This is however not particularly easy.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

I agree with most of what your saying. But in 29 years of gaming I've never seen anything on the extent inwhich publishers are milking the consumer in the last 11 years. Things like Pokemon versions and atomic colors where gimmicks. There's nothing gimmicky about paying $60 for part of a game you can't even fully utilize offline, and being expected to pay $30 more for the rest whilst being bombarded with systems that reward microtransactions.

Todays business practice have become so anti-consumer that it seems evey other week there is a scandal. Even the level of monopoly we see in the AAA sector is relatively new - it certainly is strangeling the good talented individuals like Amy Hennig.

Is the industry dying? No. But it's pursuing all the experiments in exploitation because it has become so big that it is no longer sustainable without finding ways to make massively more money. Go back 20 years ago, and a AAA like Super Mario World cost as much to develope as many premium indies today.

The business of making a contained, complete, worthwhile gameplay experience, has be discarded by many parts of the industry in favor of games as a servive.

Sega would like a word. They died in the console business from tossing out hardware and attachments willy nilly and losing consumer good will.

I knew somebody would go "it's totally different because". No dear, it's exactly the same principle. Not getting the complete game, instead getting content cut and selected out into "two" versions of the same exact game is not a gimmick anymore than always online is. It's milking the consumer, even if the majority do not buy both, a lot of people do. And every single one of them is why Nintendo keep doing it, when the "but mah trading" argument flies out the window due to the advent of the internet and online trading.

If you want to pretend things done in the past were somehow different, then nobody can stop you. But they were exactly the same end goal. To make as much money as possible. Exactly like now. The only actual difference, is that you have the internet making it easier to do.

As for the last thing, as I said... nope. The list in the OP are evidence of that fact. You can't go "See, EA! Single player games are alive and thriving!" while also going "Single player games are dying! And most games are as a service now!" Either EA is right, or they aren't. Pick one.

6 minutes ago, MMDE said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig#Writing_style

Not sure why she thinks the term "platformer" is outdated and misused these days, but I can only imagine it's because it was used about Jak & Daxter and Uncharted. Both those series had some platforming sections, and so she's right in that case that it doesn't fit those games all that well. Indeed, the later Jak games and all the Uncharted games is exactly what she describe as "traversal", but this I think is where the games went wrong to a certain degree, especially in the game of the Jak series. The Jak games just halfway do everything, while the Uncharted series started with this in mind. She's right about games focusing too much on graphics, and I guess this is something she has struggled a bit with at ND, because those guys like to do new graphically challenging stuff. Where I think she's wrong is that the games to greatly improve instead needs to be to have writers focus on creative expression. I think more time should be focused on a good gameplay experience and not how to get and keep a large userbase and milk it for money. Soundtrack makes a big difference too, and story can be important if this is a focus in the game. I guess she wants the story to be more of a "different" experience.

"Traversal" is such a better term for the "platforming" stuff in games like Uncharted. Have nothing to really add otherwise.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fragtaster said:

Wow your condescending. Your argument doesn't make you right. I'm sorry to tell you that.

I'm sorry if you're under the impression that I care what a stranger on the internet thinks of me.

And just saying, rather implying, I'm wrong doesn't make you right. And not even addressing my points, instead resorting to personal attacks, is telling. And yes I did read your comment, which is why I addressed things you said in it directly.

Edited by Elvick_

5 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

That said, I don't buy into the doom and gloom. The fact there are SP examples to counteract EA's dumb statements is all you need to disprove the "decline" of gaming people love to doomsay about. Things are fine. There's always been crappy games. There have always been money grubbing practices. Pokemon's dual releases are a prime example of this, and that started on the Gameboy in the mid 90s (in Japan; late 90s ww). And colors are used to get people to rebuy hardware itself, which the N64 did as well.

People need to take off the rose tinted glasses. Things have always been this way. Some companies push to milk you more than others. Accept it, move on. Buy what you want.

Apply this statement to the television, movie, and music industries and you just eliminated virtually almost the entire ranting community.

The entire "everything in my day" and "things aren't as good as they used to be" are basically platitudes applied to the stereotypical old man in his 60s - 70s who feels everything is declining. We all heard this on the internet, we all heard it from our parents, grandparents and older relatives.

I've heard kids as young as 13 - 14 say they didn't like today's music or television or whatever. And apart from the underground scene, there is nothing I am interested in as far as mainstream goes. Much of it is cookie cutter and formulaic.

The industry is different. I have since gone to indie titles and older games that I never got around to playing when they came out. But a huge chunk of the gaming industry is very reliant on what happens in the mainstream, which includes AAA games that cost millions of dollars to develop and years to plan and produce. You can argue that console games were more expensive back in the 1990s with titles like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, two of my favorite JRPGs of all time. But you got the whole package.

I love video games. They have been a life long passion and I will probably never stop playing video games. But I can probably say it's overly saturated at this point.

5 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

Is the industry dying? No. But it's currently blindly pursuing several experiments in exploitation because it has become so big that it is no longer sustainable without finding ways to make massively more money. Go back 20 years ago, and a AAA like Super Mario World cost as much to develop as many premium indies today.

The business of making a contained, complete, worthwhile gameplay experiences, has be discarded by many parts of the industry in favor of 'games as a service.

Fixed a couple spelling errors.

Super Mario World was released in 1991. 1997 was much later when you had the Crash Bandicoot games and Super Mario 64.

But yes. Games didn't cost quite as much as they do today, since the lack of technology prevented them from becoming full scale movie like experiences like Uncharted 4 or the upcoming God of War. DOOM was created by a few very talented individuals at id Software, who were previously a budding software company that was only marginally successful at best. Their game was such a success it turned the gaming world upside down. Every single first person shooter should owe DOOM respect.

Things like that don't happen in the industry anymore. I find it very sad we have to listen to a guy like Jim Sterling make his rant videos on lootboxes and microtransactions.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:

Just going down my list of recently played games...

• Neon Chrome was pretty decent (it was even free for PS+). It's a bit like hotline miami I guess, but it got more roguelite elements. A bit luck based and maybe a tiny bit of grind to get all trophies.

Tried it, didn't like it.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Dungeons 2, it's like Dungeon Keeper. Basically god game where you play as the bad guy, and you gotta dig out and build your own dungeon, defend it against the good guys. :P Some light RTS elements. A little bit of grind for the plat, but not too much.

I'm not bothered by trophies. Don't know this game, I'll check out more about it later.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Echochrome was pretty decent, for some parts of it, but trophies glitched, and I had to play through entire game more than 3 times. :(

I like Echochrome, haven't played completely through it yet.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Headlander, pretty decent metroidvania game. Definitely Metroid inspired, but not as polished and a bit more hectic, but still overall relaxing game with some humor.

Already high on my list of games to buy.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Stikbold!, it's cannonball. Pretty short game, but it was decent fun, but only get it if pretty cheap, and decent local MP game.

Don't know this game, I'll check out more about it later.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • If you don't care too much about trophies, then Life Goes On: Done to Death. It's 2D puzzle platformer, but there's a pretty comprehensive speedrun trophy. Game has a lot of levels, but it gets a bit repetitive, and you gotta speedrun each level by itself and entire game in one go. The later levels gets a bit tricky etc. Not sure I will 100% this game tbh.

Got it half a year ago when we got that €10 cash back on PSN. Bought it and Feist. Enjoyed it but got a bit bored, want to try it again soon.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Unepic, it's metroidvania with focus on the RPG aspects. You basically explore a giant castle, fight against bosses etc to unlock new areas. I wrote a guide for this game.

Released on Switch this week. Saw the trailer, wasn't that into it. 

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Hue, sidescroller puzzle platformer. It's been free for PS+, definitely worth the quick playthrough that it is.

Bought and 100%ed it earlier this year, don't regret paying for it. Cool game, if a bit wannabe-deep in the bits in between levels.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Salt n Sanctuary, 2D side scroller Dark Souls, done really well.

Heard of it but haven't seen gameplay or tried it for myself yet. Is Hollow Knight on your radar already?

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • The Escapists, games can get a bit repetitive, but the concept is pretty cool and the levels are varied enough. But yeah, gets very repetitive by the end. You basically live in a prison or whatever, and gotta find a way to escape. You do this by finding items and crafting etc. You got a lot of stuff you gotta do every day in prison, and you gotta find ways to collect and steal stuff, and find ways to escape. You can buy stuff, befriend people, fight etc. They also made a walking dead version of the games.

Not a fan of the graphics of these games.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Oceanhorn, it's like the old 2D zelda games.

It's on my radar and I'll probably get it if it goes on for very cheap on the Switch, but as it's basically a cheap-ass Zelda it's not a high priority for me.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Party Hard, it's puzzle game where you gotta find a way to kill everyone in a party. Basically, people everywhere, and you gotta find a way to kill them without the police arresting you. If people see a dead body, the police will come, and if they saw you killed them, or you're the only one near the dead body, they will run to call the police and say you did it.

Sounds cool. Don't know this game, I'll check out more about it later.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Quest of Dungeons, not that great, but pretty decent, just gets too repetitive in the end. It's basically roguelike game where you choose a character and you fight your way down a dungeon. Enemies move and attack when you do, so it's turn based.

Sounds like I can easily give this a miss.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Type:Rider, okay sidescroller platformer...

Bought it earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Pneuma: Breath of Life, first person puzzle platformer, a bit like Portal and Talos Principle. Not as big of a game though, and aims more for the atmosphere.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • The Talos Principle, same as Pneuma, but this is much more like Portal, but much bigger and more complex. Less humor though, but it's a really good game.

Already high on my list of games I want to get.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Funk of Titans, idk, it was fun for what it was. Look up video of it before you buy this. :P

Saw the trailer earlier. Heard a lot of people were disappointed by it.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Velocity Ultra, shmup, but not as much focus on shooting and a story etc, but more about getting through levels and doing challenges.

Bought it after enjoying Velocity 2X on PS+ (and buying the DLC right when it was released). I enjoyed 2X a lot more, if you liked Ultra then you should give 2X a try.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Risk of Rain, a bit grindy in the end, but it's a side scrolling rogue-like game, look up a video.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Fenix Furia, like N++ and Super Meat Boy etc, just a tad bit easier. Very fast paced. Great game, a bit glitchy trophies the devs might fix, but got all the trophies.

Sounds good. Don't know this game, I'll check out more about it later.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Bard's Gold, SNES inspired rogue-lite side scrolling adventure game.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • RETSNOM, side scrolling puzzle platformer. Should be pretty cheap, and I liked it a lot.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:
  • Ether One, first person puzzle game, a bit glitchy on consoles.

Played it for a little bit but didn't really get into it.

11 hours ago, MMDE said:

Can post more later. :P 

Go nuts :)

In case someone else wants recommendations, here's a list of indie games I played this year and enjoyed a lot:

• Stardew Valley: a fan made Harvest Moon game. I'm at 40+ hours already.
  • Axiom Verge: called the best MetroidVania since Super Metroid.
  • Bulb Boy: weird but fun point and click action/puzzle game.
  • Death Squared: fun puzzle game about bots solving trap puzzles.
  • Snake Pass: a 3D platformer, but you are a snake. Very well made, I think.
  • Shovel Knight: great throwback platforming action game.
  • Yooka-Laylee: Banjo-Threeie, anyone complaining that the game doesn't innovative didn't listen to the dev's intent.
  • Golf Story: awesome RPG game that pretends to be a golf game. Switch exclusive.
  • forma.8: minimalistic MetroidVania game, I really enjoyed it.
  • Leo's Fortune: short but fun platformer.
  • Elite Dangerous: yes, this game counts as indie. Awesome space flight sim game.
  • Whispering Willows: not that amazing but not bad, and it's on PS Now.
  • The Fall: great puzzle/action game, sequel is coming out early next year.
  • Firewatch: great relaxing story walking game.
  • Titan Souls: a 2D Zelda boss rush game, and tough.
  • Kung Fury: Street Rage: fun beat 'em up game.
  • This War Of Mine: The Sims, but during a war and really depressing.
  • Road Not Taken: roguelike puzzle game.
  • Type:Rider: the best platforming game about fonts you'll ever play.
  • INSIDE: great game from the makers of LIMBO.
  • Four Sided Fantasy: platforming with a twist, very well done.

7 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

N-O! Not you pickle Rick!! lol :D

I wrote your and its fine. It is my galaxy 5s that is to blame:shakefist: - it automatically 'corrects' every other word I write. And you groan? Why should it bother you how other people write (we all have different educations, had different quality teachers and were taught different variations of written english). 

Atleast my excuse is I was making a poorly received joke about the usage of a single word that frankly I never see used (and which honestly rings in my brain as 'impaled' everytime I hear it). Technically I wasn't even critiqueing his grammer, I could care less about it. 1f643.png

Exactly why I have autocorrect turned off on my phone.

I mistype words on occasion, due to my small phone keyboard I occasionally miss the spacebar, or I'm one letter off (like "rhe" instead of "the").

It's not my choice to be bothered by it, I just am. I am aware that we don't all have the same background - and as any language teacher will tell you, a native speaker is actually more liable to make these kind of mistakes than someone who's not a native speaker (like me), because someone who grew up with the language uses it more on feeling while someone who had to learn the language had to focus on using all the rules correctly.

Again, I usually don't say a thing (unless the error becomes a fun joke, like when someone wrote "Uncarted" and I couldn't help but respond by posting a mine cart madness picture from Donkey Kong Country), I just thought it was funny your post contained an error while you were discussing someone else's language.

• Like 1

If you guys are so mad at the AAA industry

one sec... buying a lootbox to get the new Lucio skin and lighting my cigar with a hundred dollar bill and drinking from my Fabergé glass cup (pinky up of course)...

If you guys are so mad...

Why not start a

Petition?

tenor.gif?itemid=5030223

Edited by Primeape
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, Fragtaster said:

And to be fair, even if games could have been made into movies back then, they would not have been because coming from arcades and arcade ports, developers valued actual gameplay as substantial to the experience.

Mortal Kombat seemed like somewhat of a movie regarding with how the characters looked. Definitely a milestone especially for those older kids who played the game at the arcades. Shame both of us were much too young to play it when it first came out.

It was a very different time than today, with our walking simulators. 

Although thats not to say there were not cinematic games like wing commander and another world.

I never thought I'd hear anyone else say they remember Wing Commander or Another World. Both games I feel have faded a bit into obscurity. Only a guy in his mid to late 30s would probably say they played those games.

Speaking of Jim Sterling, you dont "have to listen" to him. Sure he's got a bee in his bonnet about microtransactions these days, but he also makes lots of good points too.

I don't agree with his shrill additude or everything he says, but when he's right I give him his dues. If you don't like him, then don't watch him.

There are loads of loud mouthed negativity I ignore on YouTube (like Reviewtechusa) and in the gaming press. Sadly more these days than ever.1f61e.png

I never said I or anyone has to listen to Jim Sterling. But I notice a lot of people taking his opinions as truth.

He seems to be one of the guys in the spotlight these days. I hear his name everywhere I go in the gaming industry.

I stopped caring about Reviewtechusa and the hoards of other negative channels on Youtube. Big waste of time when all you do is watch them complain about something you don't like.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Mortal Kombat seemed like somewhat of a movie regarding with how the characters looked. Definitely a milestone especially for those older kids who played the game at the arcades. Shame both of us were much too young to play it when it first came out.

I remember the arcade machines, I also remember not playing Mortal Kombat because stuff like Street Fighter II and Metal Slug 3 looked like more fun.

36 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I never thought I'd hear anyone else say they remember Wing Commander or Another World. Both games I feel have faded a bit into obscurity. Only a guy in his mid to late 30s would probably say they played those games.

I am old enough for Another World but I only played it when it was rereleased on PS4 ?

Back in the day, I played the LucasArts point and click games like Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis and The Day Of The Tentacle.

Before that, as I recently said in the "how long have you been gaming" thread, I had Block Out, Dinosaur Predators and Tom And Jerry: Cat-astrophe.

Screenshot-4.png

dinop9.png

69511-TomJerryYankeeDoodleCATastrophe.jp

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I never said I or anyone has to listen to Jim Sterling. But I notice a lot of people taking his opinions as truth.

He seems to be one of the guys in the spotlight these days. I hear his name everywhere I go in the gaming industry.

I stopped caring about Reviewtechusa and the hoards of other negative channels on Youtube. Big waste of time when all you do is watch them complain about something you don't like.

He may have a bit of a weird sense of humor, but the fact of the matter is, his points make a lot of sense. Sure, he may complain a lot about stuff, but just as he himself says, he's just commenting on what happens on the the industry (not really his fault it keeps on pulling exploitative crap, now is it? ?). And he does try to keep things varied and positive from time to time, as shown with his recent video on the success of the Switch and the Jimquisition that will come out on Christmas day, lauding the best games of 2017.

About ReviewTechUSA... yeah, I used to listen to him too, but he was a bit too angry and negative and made way too many videos that basically kept coming back to the same few issues. I realized there are better YouTubers out there anyway and just unsubscribed (though he also made really good points).

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Wing Commander still has its following - some guys even made their own fan game (it's free for PC, download at their homepage). I played Wing Commander on the Amiga and the following parts on a friend's PC, and I loved all of them.

12 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Wing Commander still has its following - some guys even made their own fan game (it's free for PC, download at their homepage). I played Wing Commander on the Amiga and the following parts on a friend's PC, and I loved all of them.

The game gets ridiculously hard with the Secret Missions. You're flying a Hornet and you have to face off against waves of Gratha fighters that have a lot of armor. The initial game was a lot easier because if you did good you would actually get better fighters.

Wing Commander was the first game I can possibly think of that offered branching paths. Today's games could really do good with a branching storyline. Detective games would especially work good with that mechanic.

1 hour ago, Fragtaster said:

:) Yeah.

Back in the day I actually got to play it [Mortal Kombat] once in the local 7/11 convience store, with help from my older cousins. I definitely was too young, but my cousins didn't care. They even got a step stool so I could reach the buttons. Lol.

Luckily later in my youth, I WAS just old enough to play Mortal Kombat 3 ultimate in the arcade after that cameout. I played that alot. So I don't feel completely cheated out of the experience.

On the topic of Wing Commander, my mom got me started gaming REALLY young - summer of '88 from what she says - so I was lucky enough to play games for about as long as most people in their mid-late 30s. So believe it or not, Wing Commander was one of the games I played on PC as a very young lad. Even back then I was a Star Wars fan, so I was attracted to it.

We had a good PC at my house because my mom was into computers so I was exposed to alot of those late-80s/early-90s PC games. I even joke that my parents wouldn't let me play Mortal Kombat 2 because of the violence and blood, but they bought me a shareware copy of Doom shortly after it came out. Ironic huh? :P

I used a Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo until 1997 - 1998. So me and my sister both played Mortal Kombat 3 and other games pretty late into both consoles lifecycles.

Then in 1998 I received Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64 and later Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64. All rock solid. I used to play local multiplayer in Goldeneye with my dad who is now in his mid 60s, had a lot of great fun. Certainly more engaging for me than to hear people trash talk on an online game, much like I see today.

I started back in 1990, so I wasn't too far behind you. But I wasn't allowed to play games on a regular basis until I was little older, in around 1992 - 1994. Even then my gaming time was greatly limited, because I had to focus on school and take part in physical activities.

Yeah I was one of the few kids with a working PC in the early 1990s. My dad used to play a lot of obscure but well made computer games. He had a job at Hewlett Packard and worked with a lot of people who were into computers. So eventually he bought a PC, back when they were extremely expensive. That same PC that is now over 25 years old isn't worth jack shit. As a matter of fact most people just throw away their 80s and 90s era computers, because there is no real value to be had.

Mortal Kombat and DOOM brought in the ESRB ratings. I may be in the minority but I honestly wish people would come out with a few AO (Adults Only) rated games. Unfortunately I think Steam is the only major platform that would accept an AO rated game, since Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all refuse to allow those games on their consoles.

Doesn't have to be sex or porn, it can be adult themed elements.

Edited by Spaz