A New Protagonist tropy tips.

DarkAnimaa

Hey everyone, i hope that this can be helpful to you,
Basically all you need is 
1- Time.

2- Evasion.
3- Combos.
Now all what you really have to do is try to hit and dodge as much as possible, if by chance you got hit then try to recover and counter attack (you need to time it)
As you can see in the beginning of the video(in the end of the post), i lured Noctis to the end of the arena, near the big sign so i can drop the sign on him once he runs out of mana by pressing (L2) on it and spam circle button, this will give Noctis some damage and it'll help.
Try to not use the Bar (L1 skills) unless Noctis unleashes his armiger so you don't get damaged and net some damage on Noctis himself.
Last thing I couldn't do in this video is that you use your fire clarity on Noctis when he telports to regen mana (don't do it when he teleports to the sign for the 1st time) you can also hit him for a few seconds if he teleported near you.

Good Luck ^^

Video if needed

Yep, I agree that these are the basic strategies.

• I personally used ice daggers (nearly) all the time. Get 2 hits in, dodge, 2 hits, dodge, and always manage to counter attack - it does a lot of damage and also heals. With some of his weapons Noctis will always warp-dodge your attacks, but with other weapons he‘s more prone to getting hit (especially heavy weapons, axe and greatsword) and then the ice daggers will help to get up a high combo and a good damage multiplier.
  • ALWAYS use the thunder daggers when your total clarity is loaded, they always hit. Try to combine it with a good damage multiplier.
  • Always use high-jump three times in a row when Noctis uses Armiger.
  • Fight near the big sign-post for additional damage like @BASEL-_-KSA said.
  • When Noctis uses the Ring of Lucis, attack him as quickly as possible, best with fire daggers. Run away from his other spells to only get some low elemental damage.
  • When your health is down to 0, don’t use items immediately. Try to get away from Noctis and hold :triangle: for 2 seconds to heal without items!

With all of these strategies I managed to get a really high score on my third try:

KQqn0wB.jpg

I used only 3 items and got a 36 hit combo. :) 

Edited by ShadowStefan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ShadowStefan said:

Yep, I agree that these are the basic strategies.

• I personally used ice daggers (nearly) all the time. Get 2 hits in, dodge, 2 hits, dodge, and always manage to counter attack - it does a lot of damage and also heals. With some of his weapons Noctis will always warp-dodge your attacks, but with other weapons he‘s more prone to getting hit (especially heavy weapons, axe and greatsword) and then the ice daggers will help to get up a high combo and a good damage multiplier.
  • ALWAYS use the thunder daggers when your total clarity is loaded, they always hit. Try to combine it with a good damage multiplier.
  • Always use high-jump three times in a row when Noctis uses Armiger.
  • Fight near the big sign-post for additional damage like @BASEL-_-KSA said.
  • When Noctis uses the Ring of Lucis, attack him as quickly as possible, best with fire daggers. Run away from his other spells to only get some low elemental damage.
  • When your health is down to 0, don’t use items immediately. Try to get away from Noctis and hold :triangle: for 2 seconds to heal without items!

With all of these strategies I managed to get a really high score on my third try:

KQqn0wB.jpg

I used only 3 items and got a 36 hit combo. :) 

I totally forgot about the thubder clarity-.-

and its strange how i got A+ even tho my score was higher than yours, looks like it depends on the items used too? I think i used 4 not really sure :|

7 hours ago, RNumbers said:

A+ versus S may be a regional/localization thing. Just guessing, but the requirement is "top rank," so it stands to reason.

Yep I guess so too. I think my german version has localized A+ to S. At first I actually thought as well that I got an even higher rank then necessary, but then I saw several higher scores with A+. :P 

• Like 1

i just beat this first try. well not first try, but first time actually beating noctis i got A+ - and i literally used every item i had, so you can dispel any rumors that items affect the score because they clearly don't. i also have seen to swap between the weapons a bunch but i really just stuck with fire the whole time. i would only change to lightning to use the triangle ability when noc would be up on a roof shooting at me or something, then back to fire. the main thing i had to get the hang of to win this fight was dodging. you can do it by holding square but the way more effective method is just moving the stick as you're fighting to dodge around him. this was challenging to learn for me because i played most of the game without dodging or blocking like im sure most people did, so just practice that a few times and you'll get this in no time. oh and get used to countering, its the most important thing to win this.

I'm beating Noct consistently now, but I always get a B. My time is usually ~14 minutes, and max hit counter ~25. Any tips on cutting down on time and getting 30+ hits in? (I'm using fire, and also using the fire upgrade when I don't think I'll need the jump soon, I use electric for the ranged attack, and I usually get Noct to rest at both of the billboards you can topple. )

For clarity, when you guys say "2 hits", do you mean you tap the attack button (circle) twice, or you just hold it down until he's done two hits?

When you say dodge, do you mean the dodge button (square) , or just using the analog stick while attacking? 

Also very annoying that I have to go through such a long loading screen for every attempt. 

Update: Just had my very best attempt ever: had the dodging down, all went very smoothly. And got a C... (because it took 20 minutes apparently) This is getting really frustrating. 

Edited by QuentinCle95

11 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

For clarity, when you guys say "2 hits", do you mean you tap the attack button (circle) twice, or you just hold it down until he's done two hits?

When you say dodge, do you mean the dodge button (square) , or just using the analog stick while attacking?

I just hold the attack button until 2 hits happened, then I dodge tapping the square button once and rolling to the side, then I repeat.

Also, using ice daggers helps to keep a good damage multiplier (I often had a multiplier around 1.7-2.0) and to get a high combo. At least for me this worked best. This makes the fight faster and especially makes the thunder dagger total clarity, counter-attacks and high-jumps more devastating, to make everything faster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShadowStefan said:

I just hold the attack button until 2 hits happened, then I dodge tapping the square button once and rolling to the side, then I repeat.

Also, using ice daggers helps to keep a good damage multiplier (I often had a multiplier around 1.7-2.0) and to get a high combo. At least for me this worked best. This makes the fight faster and especially makes the thunder dagger total clarity, counter-attacks and high-jumps more devastating, to make everything faster.

Okay thanks, I'll try that!

Edited by QuentinCle95

I'd like to dispel the idea (to help reduce the intimidation of this trophy) that this is the "hardest" out of all the DLC. It's not. Cor Leonis was way more challenging than this. So if you can do that fight, you'll be able to finish this one with no problem.

As stated before, your score is broken down into three categories:

1. Combo

2. Evasion

3. Time

You've probably noticed by now that Combo and Time are usually the higher scores in the breakdown, which leads me to believe they're more weighted compared to Evasion. Therefore, I focused more on those two at the cost of my Evasion score. Here's what I did:

1. I used Fire 99% of the time. The only time I ever switched to a different element was to to full-clarity Noctis with Lightning when he teleports above the gas station to recover/throw shurikens.

2. In my opinion, the part that will make or break your A+ rank is how high you can get your combo when Noctis is in stasis. When he drops down on one knee or you see him blocking/defending and your attacks are still connecting, this is your chance to go IN. Just spam the hell out of attack. Even if after Ignis does his combo finisher, chase after Noctis and continue to spam attack and get a few more hits in. I was able to get my combo up to 40 this way.

3. The damage bonus multiplier when you stack up your combos is highly underrated. When I hit my 40+ combo, I pretty much dropped Noctis from 75% health to about 35%. This bought me a ton of breathing room for Time and allowed me to finish the fight in 10 minutes even with a sloppy <25% Noctis phase.

4. Don't worry about Evasion. I actually sandbagged myself and deliberately got hit to counter almost everything. The only time I didn't counter and started dodging is when Noctis whips out the shield, or when his attacks auto knock you out (usually when Noctis is after 50% health and/or if Ignis is lingering around 30-40%) If you're having trouble getting the counter timing down, just pay attention to when Ignis' body hits the ground. What worked for me almost 100% of the time is that I would wait until Ignis begins his tumble/roll animation to hit Square.

So again, the key to this fight is pretty much your combos. The higher your combo, the higher your Combo score and the more damage you do. The more damage you do, the quicker the fight ends and the higher your Time score. Also, don't get discouraged if you're getting hit a lot and using all of your recovery items. If you hit a juicy 35+ combo, do everything you can to stay alive. As long as you survive til the end (and not take TOO long), that's all that matters. 

18 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

I'm beating Noct consistently now, but I always get a B. My time is usually ~14 minutes, and max hit counter ~25. Any tips on cutting down on time and getting 30+ hits in? Update: Just had my very best attempt ever: had the dodging down, all went very smoothly. And got a C... (because it took 20 minutes apparently) This is getting really frustrating. 

When Noctis is in stasis, just go fucking go ham and mash the shit out of your attack key. That's what I did. Don't stop attacking until Noctis knocks you away and your combo drops. If you don't feel like reading my previous wall of text, I just played super aggressively. I didn't even worry about dodging (the only time I would dodge is when Noctis' attacks were auto knocking me out) and just countered literally almost everything. 

Edited by Norava
Paragraph Spacing
  • Like 1

Took me about 5 tries. Got the A+ ranking when I finally beat him. 

I used fire daggers the whole time except for switching to lightning for the Total Clarity lightning strike. I found the fire dagger Total Clarity misses a lot. 

At the beginning of the fight, he's a bit unpredictable and dodges a ton. I went full aggressive to put him into Stasis ASAP, and then just go nuts. Your counterstrike game needs to be on point. Counter EVERYTHING and you'll take little damage even if you miss (you get the HP back from the strike that Noctis landed on you to prompt the counter when you jump back, not when you hit or miss).

After he mentions something about hitting a guy with glasses, he will start parrying your attacks. Still be as aggressive as possible, but as soon as you see the weapons clash with a metallic TING, roll-dodge out of the way. Your damage will be small and incremental, but you won't get hit. 

As soon as you see him flash all the weapons to start the Armiger, use all three bars of your green meter to do High Jump three times. You'll be invincible during it. Or you can hold dodge to avoid everything, but when Noctis is critical, Gladiolus and Prompto will join the Armiger for extra hits, and you won't have enough MP to dodge them.

And, of course, if you see him doing any kind of ring magic (Death, or Aeterna), assault him immediately to stop it.

The only part about this that made me angry was when he used ring magic while he was on the gas station roof and I was on the ground avoiding his shurikens from afar. Couldn't get to the hookshot point before I got sucked into another dimension (which perma-kills you and prevents you from using a Phoenix Down).   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

YES! Got it first try after reading these last couple comments! Thanks, guys!

Nice. I think the problem a lot of people are having is that they're too scared/play too defensively. Trust in your ability to Counter and just go hard.

44 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

Can't believe I just did a 72 combo but i can't still beat him.

How in the hell this is suppose to be this easier that the Core battle ..

This is the comment on playstationtrophies.org that gave me the most help, and is the strategy I followed...

"Okay, after changing up my tactic a bit, with a little help of Marcelpfs1's video, here's a more or less foolproof way. Did it on my first try:

Just use your flame daggers and spam "circle", even if Noctis attacks. If he counters you, press "square", once prompted and parry his attack with the special "circle"-prompt attack. And rinse and repeat. I cannot understate how IMPORTANT that counter of yours is. You cannot miss it even once, since you get your health back AND do good damage, if it hits.
If you somehow fall below "counter-health" (that certain area, where your health left is just not high enough anymore for you to do a "square-circle"-prompt counter and get into the "dying" state) use a potion.

Once Noctis gets on top of hammerhead his attacks become fiercer, but DON'T change your rhythm. Just stick to the same things. Spam Flame-dagger-circle-attack until he knocks you down, use your "square-circle"-prompts and counter his attacks. EVERY SINGLE TIME! It's not hard. Once you get knocked down, wait a second and press "square". It's extremely telegraphed. 
And don't worry even if you use up all your items. I just did it twice on A+ ranking, both times almost using up all my items, and still managing to get it.

Oh, and here and there use your Two-bar-special. If you are lucky you will get the double-damage on the flame-daggers. And if your "Total Clarity" is full, just use it every time you have the chance to get some extra damage in.

If Noctis uses his Special attacks just dodge, dodge, dodge. You can use the "High Jump"-one-bar-attack as well to avoid it.
If he uses the ring of Lucii, just get in range and hammer him cold.

I hope this helps."

And here's the video in question...

Just remember to use Ignis' high jump ability the second you see Noctis doing his armiger attack. Then when you land, use it again immediately to fully dodge the attack.

Edited by MythRaider1994
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aexuz said:

Can't believe I just did a 72 combo but i can't still beat him.

How in the hell this is suppose to be this easier that the Core battle ..

1. You have way more restoratives in this fight.

2. You Counter AFTER getting hit and then fully recover the damage that was done, whereas in the Cor fight you had to predict with it (and if you failed, you were pretty much done.)

24 minutes ago, Norava said:

1. You have way more restoratives in this fight.

2. You Counter AFTER getting hit and then fully recover the damage that was done, whereas in the Cor fight you had to predict with it (and if you failed, you were pretty much done.)

Countering gets extremely hard when he is at 2/10 of health.

I remember getting the Core fight in my 3rd-5th attempt. I'm already in my 12 run here and no luck.

16 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

Countering gets extremely hard when he is at 2/10 of health.

I remember getting the Core fight in my 3rd-5th attempt. I'm already in my 12 run here and no luck.

Are you able to record and upload one of your fights so we can take a look to see what's happening?

3 hours ago, Norava said:

Are you able to record and upload one of your fights so we can take a look to see what's happening?

So far I have beat him 2 times but I have earned  only an A rank. My time was 12 minutes in both runs. Maybe my combo was not enough? I think it was 29. I will record my game in my next try.

EDIT: Got the trophy in my 14th attempt. It was a bad run compared to my previous ones but the difference was hitting a 32 combo. So yeah high combo makes the difference for the trophy. it was only 3 more from my previous runs but that was enough to grant me the A+ rank.

Edited by Aexuz

After gathering some information myself and reading through the tips on this topic I've managed to come up with - and sorry if you know someone else who's also doing this strategy - a quite easy way to beat Noctis and get the gold trophy, I managed to get the trophy during my first time beating him and my 4th try attempting the fight. I'll be breaking down the fight into it's four phases.

Phase 1: The beginning
At the start of the fight run towards the billboard and fight Noctis there, as many here suggested. You can, later on, drop the whole thing on his head and while it's not actually needed, it's quite satisfying. Get on his face immediately and don't give him any space to breathe, do this using the Fire Daggers mainly. During this phase you'll try to get your combo numbers up to 30+, you can get up to 35 easily if you switch between the Ice Daggers and Fire Daggers - swap them to avoid the "end combo" animation and note that the Fire Daggers can hit for quite some time before it happens while the Ice Dagger's finish animation happens quite early - specially if you see him blocking your hits. Getting your hit count up on this phase is essential because it's quite hard to do this on later phases of the fight. So, this should be your main objective here. Once you get the hit count up to 30+ you're free to move on to phase 2. It's worth noting too that you should keep your HP above 1800 throughout the whole fight so you can have room to breathe when it comes to failing counterstrikes or getting hit.

Phase 2: "Think I won't hit a guy with glasses?"
Phase 2 starts once Noctis says the sentence above and from now on you'll get your Evasion points. During this phase he'll often block your attacks really often, specially if you keep on the offensive - as you should - so, keep hitting him non stop and as soon as he blocks, you can use either visual or audio cues, hold L1 (or whatever your dodge button is setup to, I believe it's square for the control scheme A), Ignis will ALWAYS dodge, if you don't mess things up. The window for this dodge is quite wide, so if you pay attention you'll pretty much hit this dodge 100% of the time. After 3 or 4 dodges Noctis will hit you making you have to do a counterstrike, this way you know you're doing the strategy right. My tip for the counterstrike is simple: don't spam the first button press. The first button is crucial for you to hit or miss the counter, so NEVER spam it. If you wait for it to appear you'll have almost 2 good seconds to press him and then you can pretty much spam the second button prompt. Again, keep on the offense and you have no trouble. I should say that if Noctis runs away from you, which he won't do that often, don't go after him. Just keep dodging his attacks, either spamming the dodge button or running from one side to the other and wait for him to come to you so you can continue to follow the strategy.

Phase 3: "Not going down that easy!"

You'll know you've hit phase 3 when you hear the Prince say that. The major difference during this phase will be the occasional use of the Armiger, which can be easily avoided using 3 high jumps, as many here said already. Other than that, keep following the same thing you did during phase 2, keep being offensive using the Fire Daggers and dodging his attacks once you see/hear him blocking and you'll be good to go to the final phase.

Final phase: "I don't like the way this is going..."
If you manage to get here following the last steps, you won't have much trouble. Since the only thing that will change during this phase is the use of the Ring of Lucii, which, for your luck, will make Noctis vulnerable to all attacks. If you don't give him space, you'll cut off his usages all the time quite fast and you should be back to your attack/dodge routine. If you feel like he's using Death and you're somehow too far from him, try using the Total Clarity with your Fire Daggers, it's fast and makes him drop the ring animation pretty much instantly. Another good thing to note is that during this phase Noctis will move around a lot and the camera, sometimes, can't keep up with him. So doing the attack/dodge trick can be annoying if you're going for visual cues. If you follow the audio ones however, you'll be safe and sound. Keep dodging and using counterstrike and he'll go down soon enough.

For reference, here's my end score:
Combo: 36 - 583,200 pts
Evasion: 99,746 - 270,254 pts
Battle time: 00:13:28 - 266,000 pts
Total: 1,119,454 pts
Grade: A+

PS: I do have a video recorded from this attempt and, if someone requires, I can post him here too.

Hopefully this helps anyone who's still going for this trophy.

• Like 3

Goddamnit I can't get my picture smaller sorry!

Just to prove you dont need any tactics on this.

I was trying this for several hours and discovered a "glitch"

You need to try the following:

Step 1: Just do the regular fight but keep around the caravan at the spawnpoint(its in the corner hard to miss)

Step 2: After a while(and this happened randomly) Noctis will teleport on top of the building and throw shurikens/glaives/shoot whatever he does.

Step 3: This is the part where I got "lucky" Noctis all of sudden stopped moving while I was hidden all in in the back at the caravan.

Step 4: Now charge your Total Clarity and try to lock onto Noctis as far away as possible away from him and shoot the Lightning.

With some luck you will hit him for around 800 - 1000.

Step 5: Profit? In my game he just didnt do anything after the lightning hit so I could spam total clarity and pump lightning non stop. This made my time as shown in the picture super low, an easy 40+ combo and there you go.

tyVnKVC.jpg

Got mine last night, so so fun :D

I was really happy how Square Enix handled him, he's indeed the best man and deserved a beautiful dlc add-on, in the end it was a fantastic one with lots of alternative lore and tidbits 

Noct battle was the best side one including the main game, the best tip for it is indeed abuse of counter and use fire daggers. On the first phase he won't be as relentless, so try to land a huge amount of counters, even if just stay idle while counter attacking everything xD

Im so happy to finished that battle! I tried a few methods but since the Combo is definitely the one that gives most points, it will depends on how many Combos you can make in the first half while permanently attacking and counterattacking. I managed to get it done pretty fast with a 30 Combo and some dodges but in the end the battle was annoying and i really hope there will no more DLC so i can finally delete that 100GB annoyance off my PS4 HDD. AS a advice i can only give Attack/Attack/Counter Attack and hope to get enough Combo hits and as well a lot of persistence for those who really struggle with it.