Eidos Montreal, Developers of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Aim To Be More Online-Orientated

madbuk

Got to visit their offices in MTL in Jul. 2016, and they were surprisingly welcoming to just some guy and gal who literally just waltzed right in. 

Seeing how small the place is, I feel like they're just trying to compete with the big guys who are farting out online integrated and MP oriented games because people are still giving them their money hand-over-fist. 

Edited by ERICVOLTAGE
  • Like 1

1. They didn't say anything about a specific game. Lots of companies have said this over the last few years, put out one or two online focused games and left their tent poles alone. Why do you assume this one will be different? Don't get all bent out of shape over something that you're building up in your own head.

2. The Tomb Raider reboot already had multiplayer lol.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

Most likely how gaming in general will go. Online only for everything, which can be seen in the creeping 'timed events' that are appearing in more games.

It keeps you playing, it essentially destroys piracy, there's a good chance to kill the second-hand market and they can feed you microtransactions or lock you out whenever they want. They can control when and what you play. Games will slowly move to the 'as 'a service' model where you just rent the ability to play, much like Netflix.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised. It was sad when I had to check if Monster Hunter World actually had an offline mode before getting excited.

Though hopefully in this case, I'm hoping they just mean they want to make $multiplayer$ worth bothering with.

So long as the MP is limited to a multiplayer mode, that doesn't effect the core-game i.e, the story. I should be fine, with it. Much like how I could ignore the Uncharted 2 & 3 online, and just dip my toes in it, for some online trophies. If the online got too intrusive, I'd be bummed out, since I've been planning on grabbing the Tomb Raider games in 2018. Both old PS3 collection and the new PS4 games.

RotR had multiplayer aspects, but it didn't impact my single player experience at all. There are a lot of games that implement online features that don't affect the single player experience in the slightest like Bloodborne and Persona 5. There's no need to immediately tie online functionality to something sinister like lootboxes.

Wait, what?... I thought the biggest complain about the Tomb Raider reboot was the tacked on multiplayer, so it was removed in the sequel. Now they're putting it back in? Just what the heck is going on, a few years ago all the complaints about games was the annoying multiplayer that kept getting added, then it stopped, now it's back again?

I'm sure the MP will be optional.  Some co-op missions set in SP would be nice, but only if they're not required to get 100% completion on the story.  Mass Effect Andromeda has something like this.  While there are some possible rewards from it to use in the SP game, playing MP isn't needed to get the best ending.

9 hours ago, Fragtaster said:

Woah there, don't jump the gun. 1f628.png 1f606.pngThis doesn't mean Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be any different than the other two. It just means Edios Montreal as a studio is embracing online conceptually. Who knows what online integration they will employ, but it could likely be harmless. And it doesn't mean every game will have it hamfisted in. Plus this isn't exactly new news - did we all forget about their history with Hitman. I don't forsee them doing anything to endanger the cashcow that is Tomb Raider. 1f913.png

*Edit: that's not to say though that I like modern Tomb Raiders better than the old CORE titles - I think those games where brilliant in a way that I feel the recent Tomb Raiders (and to extent the Crystal Dynamics games) are missing.

We know that the online integration is going to be full on multiplayer at least. Their job listing:

LEAD PROGRAMMER MULTIPLAYER
Programming | Montréal, Québec, Canada
APPLYPowered byJobvite

Duties:

- Supervise the technical development of the multiplayer of a AAA game;

- Support the development of the game modes and characters;

- Support the integration of PlayStation network, Xbox live and Steam services;

- Support online programmers in their design, programming and testing needs;

- Own technical design process including reviews;

- Set development priorities following project development schedule;

- Set development priorities following the online game architecture;

- Create development schedule and express staffing needs;

- Own code quality and documentation;

- Own code CPU, GPU, MEM and network performance of the multiplayer mode;

- Understand the game design and associated requirements;

- Support QA strategy of the multiplayer game;

- Partner with the online game architect;

- Team up with game producer and game design director

Required Experience and qualifications:

- University degree in programming, software engineering, computer engineering or equivalent training;

- Already occupied a programming lead role for 4 year or more;

- Already delivered an online console game in a lead or senior position.

Technical Skills:

- Excellent knowledge of C++ and object oriented programming;

- Understand the software development process;

- Understand the components and performance metrics of a game engine;

- Functional knowledge of Xbox live, PlayStation network and Steam;

- Understand how online games are hosted.

Interpersonal Qualities:

- Leader and excellent problem solver;

- Able to motivate team and give constructive feedbacks;

- Excellent oral and written communication skills.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:48 PM, madbuk said:

https://eidosmontreal.com/en/vision-statement

They are also the developers of Deus Ex, which has essentially been killed off in favour of Marvel and Tomb Raider for now

I was so excited for Shadow... And then they go and pull this shit. Not every game needs to be online, certainly not Tomb Raider. It's bad enough they made it a generic third person shooter. I had hoped Eidos would steer it back in the correct direction. But nope. Seems like it's going to be even worse than Crystal's efforts.

Is Eidos Montreal still a subsidiary of Squeenix? Because this feels like it was authored from someone above.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:24 AM, Fragtaster said:

So again, nothing new, and nothing to really worry about if you just care about the campaign like us. :)

I don't share your optimism.