What Gives You That Motivation?

TrueAssassin86x

I have a question for all of you trophy hunters here, What Gives You that Motivation to 100% complete a game?  As you can tell by my Psnprofile in my sig that i hardly complete my games. Because basicly i dont have the time anymore to sit and enjoy my games. Heck i cant even remember the last game i completed a game from start to finish on my old account before swiching to this one. 

Ps: This is my first topic so hopefully its in the right section.

Hope you don't mind me saying - judging by your profile, you don't hardly complete any games, you hardly play your games in the first place. Is asking what people make 100% a game really what you are after? Or is it: what keeps you interested in a game so you don't put it away after a few days?

1 hour ago, TrueAssassin86x said:

Because basicly i dont have the time anymore to sit and enjoy my games.

If you dn't have time to play - well, there is't much to do about it, because RL > games. If you don't have enough fun playing games, maybe take a break, do something that keeps your attention, and come back to gaming later?

• Like 1

I only get games that really interest me and I tend to read reviews before deciding whether I purchase a game or not. If the game has gotten good enough review scores and if they seem to include things I usually enjoy in games, I may buy it. If the reviews point out things I usually don't like in games, I probably won't buy it. When the gameplay, content and presentation is enjoyable I'm less likely to lose interest in the game.

I also enjoy seeing a high completion rate in my profile and it's fun to see my personal PlayStation gaming statistics here. The trophies popping is also a sign of progression and achieving something which motivates me to finish games.

I play games on multiple platforms so if I get tired of one game, I have several other games to play. Nintendo's consoles give a stress free environment where I can forget trophies and just enjoy quality titles.

You're not doing anything wrong by not finishing all your games. Why spend your free time playing a game if you're not interested in it or don't find it fun?

• Like 2

On 16/12/2017 at 3:55 PM, TrueAssassin86x said:

I have a question for all of you trophy hunters here, What Gives You that Motivation to 100% complete a game?  As you can tell by my Psnprofile in my sig that i hardly complete my games. Because basicly i dont have the time anymore to sit and enjoy my games. Heck i cant even remember the last game i completed a game from start to finish on my old account before swiching to this one. 

I usually just play through the story with trophy notifications disabled. Afterwards, if I enjoyed myself enough, I'll try to go for 100% completion, but seeing as I have many more games I want to play it's not all that often that I go for the completion. Last trophy 100% was Assassin's Creed Rogue, I think. Not sure.

Ps: This is my first topic so hopefully its in the right section.

Seeing as your topic is specifically on trophies it would fit better on a PlayStation subforum but whatever, console works, there's also 100% completion in non-trophy games.

• Like 1

I like to complete as much of a game as possible, and it’s mostly just serendipitous that a game I love playing might get at or near 100% trophy completion for a narrative or character focused game. I just tend not to look at the trophy list while I’m playing, and also have notifications disabled so it helps. If I don’t like a game, I won’t continue with it no matter the platform. I’m careful about what I play to begin with, not to avoid unearned trophies but to avoid disappointment.

If I ever play Eliot Quest again, for example, I’ll never go for the bad ending, because I don’t want to perform the actions required for it within the story. So I’ll never get its associated trophy, or the platinum, and I’m okay with that.

As another example, for Mystik Belle, I missed its early “bad” ending trophy purely by accident because I didn’t know about it and was focused in finding everything for 100% inxgame completion instead. I’ll probably get it if I ever play it again because it seems like a fun game to try speed running.

In the past, I never went back for high-chaos in Dishonored, multiple-endings in Deus Ex, or the full lore completion in The Wolf Among Us, all because I didnt want to change the story I experienced. I did, however, unlock a few of the special kill kinds of trophies when I broke character in the former two out of frustration lol. Still along the same lines, I loved replaying Night in the Woods to experience every story beat so I guess it really depends on the game.

I also play lots of Nintendo games past and present, where the rewards are all in-game. So I’m used to squeezing the most out of a game without even considering its meta offerings. For me, tracking trophies and completion is more a fun way of comparing play styles and interests with other players rather than skill or score (why I love Xbox One’s game stats and hope Sony adopts them).

Edited by Super Glamicom

Multiple reasons

- Extreme OCD triggered when I don't 100% a game. I just can stand seeing something not finished

- Show off to my friends who hardly got any skill to even finish a game on a hard difficulty (yes, it's an asshole move but they are friends so who cares?)

- Looking back from my first plat to where I am now. Every game has a story with it in my personal experience. (for example some games: Full stress on Evil within 2, Happy memories on crash bandicoot, Extreme rage on garbage games like Adam's venture which I just bite through for that 100% and as last Little big Planet 3 which was the first game I platinumed with my girlfriend who isn't even a "gamer")

It consumes a lot of time but in the end it's your personal opinion if you think it's worth it. Like I think reading a book is a waste of time but everyone experiences things in there own way :).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I still have a small perfectionist vein in me. Well, I used to be worst years ago.

Still, completing a game 100% makes me feel that I enjoyed the game at it fullest and played everything (or almost everything) the game has to offer. Plus, I'm looking forward to bribe about my achivements and with my friends and compete with other players, just for the fun.

I can relate a lot to you when you say you have little time to play. Sometimes, there are weeks when I can barely touch my PS4 for 2 hours straight, even though I manege to play everyday on my PSP on the bus (planning to buy a PSVita, but maybe not now).

Looking at your profile, it seems you have a big backlog of games that you are not even completing the main stories/careers. You have a lot of E rates.

If you have so little time, basically just choose a game that you really want to enjoy (short or long, if you really can't handle long games, go for short and easy ones) and forget about the trophies. You seem to have a big backlog to take care of. So don't buy anymore games in the first place, if you are still buying them.

I only platinum games that I really love and enjoy, or otherwise have easy platinums. What motivates me is having a collection of a certain series, like I am willing to bend over backwards and spend hours in order to platinum an FF game as I love the series, but wouldn't bother with a series or game that I'm not a big fan off unless the game is super easy, like Disgaea (I enjoy the game but not enough to go for the platinum). But mostly, I like to have a collection of platinums from a series, although it's hard to do and takes a lot of time and effort to achieve. 

Like for FF, I still need FFX, Type 0 and World of FF which I don't own yet, but am working on FFXII, despite the fact the trophies and completion is a real gruel. Tales series were the same, but I put up with all that repetitive farming and annoying mini games as I wanted to have a nice collection from the series

Honestly, what else am i gonna do? I spend all my free time at home anyway and especially since i lately been looking for a 2. Job with no avail so far, i just have way to much time to kill. Even with all the applications i push out.

I need to distract my head somehow otherwise i'd be going crazy. Completing games just gives me an overall goal to strife towards and i got more time out of each purchase. 

Plus it's just nice and rewarding to have an overall list of all the games you've complete and the challenges you've done on your public profile, rather than just in those save files which you'll have to delete eventually. Your profile/rank just steadly grows with everything you do without ever diminishing. Everything i ever did on Playstation is there even if dont habe the disc or savefiles anymore.

• Like 1

It's a simple answer, but it's because I enjoy doing it. And yes, that's the case even when earning a certain trophy can be frustrating or boring. Popping that platinum at the end of it all makes the struggle worth it. Trophy hunting is still as satisfying as it ever was to me. I don't even consider what it's like to play a game without going for the 100% anymore - it's all a part of the experience. Only after seeing that 100% on my profile do I truly feel like I've experienced a game to its fullest. I love it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do it if it is within my ability to do so. If you don't use your ability, you decay and rust. Someone might say there is no prize in doing that when there might be something better out there, actually this is what I once thought as well, however I changed my mind. Always chasing after next thing, hoping for some miracle to happen is a fool's effort. It becomes about the "next thing", not the thing that is here today, right in front of me. I'm not in a hurry and I don't care if miss out on some GOTY when I die. Also this is close to the way I used to play games when I was still pure and every game was an event.

Edited by mecharobot