What's gonna happen to PS3 trophies ?

GMZ

Hey guys, now i don't know if someone else started this topic before but this topic is really worrying me like a haunting nightmare that one day we won't be able to earn ps3 trophies anymore while i have still at least a 100 ps3 games to platinum because eventually Sony will shutdown ps3 no ?
so i thought of sharing this topic with you guys and some of you might be expert about these things so maybe i hear good news that this is kinda still early to happen ?

• Like 2

Just now, UlvenFenrir said:

Long as you have a working ps3 i dont see why you shouldnt be able to earn trophies and sync them to psn. psn is shared between all system, its not exclusive to ps3, so as long as psn is a thing, i wouldnt worry about it.

But when i earn a trophy on ps3 but did not sync it, and then i go to ps4 and sync trophies from there the ones i did not sync on ps3 won't appear ..so if ps3 was shutdown that means i won't be able to add them to my collection

Just now, NaRayquaza said:

You mean they close the servers? In the worst case scenario they will close some online games' servers.

I mean ps3 all together, like you won't be sign in from it anymore one day 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

But when i earn a trophy on ps3 but did not sync it, and then i go to ps4 and sync trophies from there the ones i did not sync on ps3 won't appear ..so if ps3 was shutdown that means i won't be able to add them to my collection

That's because you have to synch them first, but the server is shared.

I don't think they won't let you log in anymore so soon btw, but I will be more worried about PS3's store. If that close down we won't be able to download our old purchased games.

• Like 1

From a physical hardware point of view - Sony stopped making Playstation 3 units this year. And i'm sure we'll see a steady decline in support for the system because it's pretty dated and there are literally millions of current PS4 consoles owners now - both brand new customers and people who transitioned from PS3 - PS4. It makes complete sense to systematically close things. In addition, developers are also making less games for the PS3, after all, what would the point be in developing a game for a console that is no longer being made and is really outdated by todays standards.

Having said that, it would be stupid for Sony to completely close off access to such a huge library of PS3 games. So i'm guessing they'll push things further with things like Playstation Now or emulation related stuff so people can access the back catalogs.

I think you'll always be able to sign into PSN from a PS3 though, it's one shared network across both PS3 and PS4. So you'll definitely be able to sign in. Unfortunately for you and your PS3 games that you still want to finish you'll have to prepare for this:

• Server shut downs on many older PS3 games via the developers multiplayer server shards - due to devs not wanting to put money and resources into something they could put into current gen games and server infrastructure.
  • Limited availability to replacement games and hardware should your PS3 break down.
  • Lack of patch support and updates for games that are no longer being supported by developers / PSN
  • Having to re-buy any PS3 games you can't finish for whatever reason through digital purchases on the PS4

Probably better to prioritize the games that you really really want to play - move on to PS4 and wait for the rest of them to become available digitally further down the line.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 3

Dammit, people, stop with this annual panicking.

Yes, PS3 is last gen now, and pretty soon the games for it will stop coming out completely, but it doesn't mean that Sony will remove PS3 from the shop or the network or some other trite like that, because they can't do it. PSN is a unified network, and all consoles and games, unless delisted, are there to stay. You still can buy PSP games from the PSN store and copy them to the console, ffs, you just need to use your PS3 or PC to do that.

The worst they can do is drop online, but it's unlikely to happen soon. Look how long PS2 servers held out.

Physical PS3 copies of games will be harder to track, but this is just how things are. Not that I really notice it, since here any non-AAA physical titles are always hard as hell to find, no matter the platform.

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 3

This is something that kinda worries me too, but more so what may happen to our digital purchases, PS Plus games and cloud saves. I know PSN is a shared network, but that doesn't mean they won't dwindle or close access on the PS3. The PSN store has already shut down on the PSP, though thankfully you can still download previous purchases and make new purchases via a PC.

I don't see PS3's PSN services going away any time soon though, I'll be more worried once the PS5 inevitably releases.

3 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I suppose they could fix it by enabling PS4 to play PS3 games digitally - transferring your PS3 digital library over to the PS4 and enable trophy earning as if playing on a PS3. That might be easier said than done though

I highly doubt the ps4 has the horsepower to emulate ps3, not to mention they would have to make a working emulator 

5 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I suppose they could fix it by enabling PS4 to play PS3 games digitally - transferring your PS3 digital library over to the PS4 and enable trophy earning as if playing on a PS3. That might be easier said than done though

That's what PS Now is for. ;) And as long as you can play and earn PS3 trophies with that, I don't see the actual console being unable to.

3 minutes ago, Scyther said:

That's what PS Now is for. ;) And as long as you can play and earn PS3 trophies with that, I don't see the actual console being unable to.

Ah yeah! that's right! I actually thought that is what Sony wanted to do with PS1, PS2 & PS3 games much earlier. We don't have PS Now in Europe now, but I suppose if it gets rolled out globally it makes sense to run it through that online medium.

Wonder if they will tweak it to recognise digital PS3 purchases that we might have made in some way.

3 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Ah yeah! that's right! I actually thought that is what Sony wanted to do with PS1, PS2 & PS3 games much earlier. We don't have PS Now in Europe now, but I suppose if it gets rolled out globally it makes sense to run it through that online medium.

Wonder if they will tweak it to recognise digital PS3 purchases that we might have made in some way.

I would imagine it won't ever work like that. Streaming games probably costs them something. And paying the monthly fee gets you access to whatever's there until it expires. Similar to the free games with a Plus subscription.

I don't know if it will ever really take off, though.. I've been playing with it for the past few days, and it has worked great. But it doesn't sound like that was always the case, and a lot of people probably ignored or forgot about it. Then there's internet data caps, which is a deterrence for me currently. But as long as it exists, you can still potentially earn and sync PS3 trophies with a  PS4. 

1 hour ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

I mean ps3 all together, like you won't be sign in from it anymore one day 

Because the trophy is saved locally on your ps3 untill you sync it. Just like you cant earn a trophy on ps4 and sync it via your ps3.

10 minutes ago, Scyther said:

I would imagine it won't ever work like that. Streaming games probably costs them something. And paying the monthly fee gets you access to whatever's there until it expires. Similar to the free games with a Plus subscription.

I don't know if it will ever really take off, though.. I've been playing with it for the past few days, and it has worked great. But it doesn't sound like that was always the case, and a lot of people probably ignored or forgot about it. Then there's internet data caps, which is a deterrence for me currently. But as long as it exists, you can still potentially earn and sync PS3 trophies with a  PS4. 

Yeah it does seem that Now is not there quite yet. I do like the idea of having a game library to access similarly to how I would access stuff on Netflix though.

I cant wait for 30 years later they come out with PS3 minis and call it the Playstation Classic Edition and people go all hype for it again. And you could play all your ps3 games again...

The only way that could happen is if Sony shuts down the trophy sync server on PS3. I doubt Sony will shutdown any PS3 online services in the foreseeable future. We are heading into fairly uncharted territory with the PS3 and 360 as they were the first fully online consoles and now that they're becoming truly legacy consoles we don't really know what their future hold or if it's even possible for Sony and Microsoft to maintain their online services. I don't think it's anything to worry about until the PS5 arrives which could be 4-5 years away yet.

Nothing is certain in a digital world. Sony could go bankrupt or decide to close their gaming division (Sony has many divisions not just Playstation) and you would lose all your digital games, trophies and PSN account and there would be absolutely nothing we could do. It's also one reason why I'm reluctant to embrace a fully digital library as you never truly own the game, you only own them while the service is still around. We've already lost PS Mobile and Nintendo is shutting down the Wii Shop next year and you can never redownload the games again essentially meaning you never truly owned them.

Edited by Mayadome