Site suggestion: visually marking unobtainable trophies

It certainly would be handy. A suggestion would be rather than rely on Admins as it would eat up their time, why not allow members to flag some trophies as glitched or unobtainable, and once it reaches a certain threshold, it would come to the attention of the Admins. Then they would be able to determine if they should register that trophy in particular as officially unobtainable.

• Like 4

For what it's worth, there is a list available that denotes all permanently unobtainable trophies across the PS3, PS4, and Vita. That could certainly be leveraged in initial population of flags. 

The site could then potentially leverage its user base to help maintain the feature going forward by allowing premium users to tag newly unobtainable trophies for admin review (the way reporting users works now). 

6 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Yeah I was trying to find this one, I like your color scheme and label from this thread 

Also I remember recommending a screentip which says why it's unobtianable when mousing over  "Currently Unobtinable"

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

I think this would be a good addition as it would allow me to make more of an educated decision when choosing which game I want to play next; for example, it could help me avoid bugged out games that I won't be able to fully complete or appreciate the journey of platinuming the game due to a number of issues. 

Similar to what @dakk55 stated, who has a really good idea, particular trophies can be colored based on a number of complaints issued about a particular trophy in the game if not already previously proven to be broken or unobtainable. If a trophy has a ton of complaints about it being broken or unobtainable, say 100 complaints issued by unique users, then the color of the trophy turns to red. Fewer than 25 responses, the color turns yellow as the problem only affects seemingly random groups of people and you COULD be at risk of not being able to earn the trophy, not DEFINITELY at risk.

Course there are way more players than the above example, so a much larger quantity of complaints would have to be submitted in order to change the color/status of the trophy in the system. You would also have to be able to detect or take out players submissions that believed they had a problem but either that problem was quickly resolved or a game mechanic was overlooked leading to the user thinking the trophy was unobtainable when the opposite is true. A poll could be utilized to keep track of the complaints and to change the color automatically.

It could be an interesting system once the quirks/potential issues are looked at and fixed. Thanks for taking the time to read this! :D 

Edited by Lawless_Llama

It would also be nice if bugged/glitched trophies that never got fixed (e.g. TxK and Dragon Fin Soup come to mind) wouldn't have any impact on the PSNProfiles overall completion percentage.

Of course this would only apply to trophies that were never attainable in the first place, not to unattainable trophies because of server closure.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I would find color-coded entries very distracting. What I want to know from the trophy list which trophies I already have and which ones I don't. It is perfect as it is - green/white.

If you want unobtainable trohpies marked, I'd prefer this either to be optional or done with an unobstrusive icon because the next guy will suggest color-coding them with guide tags (online, grind, missable etc).

• Like 1

I support this idea, would be handy to easily spot unattainable plats when browsing for new game ideas. Could be a great addition for fellow completionists. From a technical point of view, should be easy to implement if auto-flagging for unobtainable trophies is already in place. Perhaps there can be a simple toggle feature in settings for those who would find it visually distracting:

cDO4PGL.png

On 12/17/2017 at 0:57 PM, Terra said:

It's a longshot but I would welcome this. It would make it easier for me to know which games I'm not able to platinum due to unobtainable. 

On 12/17/2017 at 1:08 PM, Lawless_Llama said:

@dakk55I think this would be a good addition as it would allow me to make more of an educated decision when choosing which game I want to play next; for example, it could help me avoid bugged out games that I won't be able to fully complete or appreciate the journey of platinuming the game due to a number of issues.

That's what trophy guides are for.  They list unobtainable trophies and/or server shutdowns and/or glitched trophies.  At least the good guides do. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

40 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

That's what trophy guides are for.  They list unobtainable trophies and/or server shutdowns and/or glitched trophies.  At least the good guides do. 

Why not just cut out the middle man and make it a site wide feature, rather than rely on a guide writer? You are right that a good guide should list trophies like that but I did get duped on the Modnation Racers: Road Trip guide where they didn't specify that there was an Ad-Hoc trophy. 

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Not all games with unobtainables have guides though

2 hours ago, Terra said:

Not all games with unobtainables have guides though

Start making a guide then ;) 

2 hours ago, skateak said:

Why not just cut out the middle man and make it a site wide feature, rather than rely on a guide writer? You are right that a good guide should list trophies like that but I did get duped on the Modnation Racers: Road Trip guide where they didn't specify that there was an Ad-Hoc trophy. 

Psnprofiles used to have such a feature, they had tips and tricks on trophies that people could mention certain things like this.  For some reason they removed that though to force people to use the guides.  Indeed, why not cut the middle man. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

Seems to be a pretty good idea, and I'm sure the community would love to help out. The only issue I see is that people with red-green color blindness might have trouble distinguishing between obtained and unobtainable trophies. I think the color choice @BlindMango posted, along with visual text, would be preferable.

Edited by Cassylvania

On 18.12.2017 at 7:26 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I would find color-coded entries very distracting. What I want to know from the trophy list which trophies I already have and which ones I don't. It is perfect as it is - green/white.

If you want unobtainable trohpies marked, I'd prefer this either to be optional or done with an unobstrusive icon because the next guy will suggest color-coding them with guide tags (online, grind, missable etc).

I'm with this. pls give it an icon, and not a color!

like this ?

another color is more than confusing

I think this was suggested multiple times before. The problem is that the site gets its data from the Sony servers. This data does not contain a value that determines if the trophy is still available or not.

The only thing I can think of that could partially work is that if a trophy hasn't been earned for over a certain amount of time (i.e. a month), it gets flagged/marked. That doesn't always mean it's unobtainable, but it should at least give an indication that the trophy should be checked if you want to know about unobtainable trophies.

Edited by Ric

On 22/12/2017 at 6:29 PM, Ric said:

I think this was suggested multiple times before. The problem is that the site gets its data from the Sony servers. This data does not contain a value that determines if the trophy is still available or not.

The only thing I can think of that could partially work is that if a trophy hasn't been earned for over a certain amount of time (i.e. a month), it gets flagged/marked. That doesn't always mean it's unobtainable, but it should at least give an indication that the trophy should be checked if you want to know about unobtainable trophies.

I totally like the idea, and also agree with what Ric said; it could be an easy way not to have to do it all manually!

I don't understand why developers don't just update the trophy list and add offline trophies when they decide to shut down the servers, thus keeping the platinum trophy attainable. Obviously this only applies to existing developers, if the team doesn't exist anymore, then fine.

Or do it like they did it with Mass Effect, where certain trophies are attainable either online or offline from the start.

After reading the comments it's clear some people are worried about trophies being labeled or color-coded differently for this as it can be distracting, so I thought I'd mention that another site I like and use, true trophies, simply makes a note on the game's trophy page and doesn't mark up each trophy (or at least I didn't notice it when scanning the trophies).  I was just checking out my top games/platinums before I saw this thread and my GT5 plat wasn't as high on the list as I expected (it's my second rarest here, but only 10th rarest there).  Anyway, when I clicked on the GT5 trophy page there was a big box on the right side of the page in red that noted that the servers were closed as well as the date they closed, and a second red box specifying exactly how many trophies can no longer be earned.  Here's a link, if anyone's curious.  I'm suggesting copying it, just using this as reference, since it's quite obvious and easy to see, but avoids changing the trophy background color which seems to be most peoples biggest aversion to this suggestion.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...