Do I Need to Have Played the First Game?

Dessane

Hi folks, I've just picked this up on sale and I was wondering whether I will have needed to have played the first game of the series before jumping into this one. I know some games are all stand alones but I haven't been able to find one way or the other for this game.

With online shutting down I'd prefer to jump straight in but don't want to have no understanding of the story.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Dessane said:

Hi folks, I've just picked this up on sale and I was wondering whether I will have needed to have played the first game of the series before jumping into this one. I know some games are all stand alones but I haven't been able to find one way or the other for this game.

With online shutting down I'd prefer to jump straight in but don't want to have no understanding of the story.

Cheers

The games are separate enough that you can play the second without having played the first. The stories are not  directly connected.

Certainly the first sets the stage in terms of the characters and the world, so you will miss out on a lot of that, but not so much that it won't make sense.

Not withstanding the above, I would recommend playing the first before the second. It is a better game in almost all respects, and you will enjoy the second more if you have the charm of the first to reflect on.

As far as the online, it is really optional in terms of the game, and doesn't prevent you from getting the plat.

In summary - I would recommend playing them in order, but to not strictly necessary

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

The games are separate enough that you can play the second without having played the first. The stories are not  directly connected.

Certainly the first sets the stage in terms of the characters and the world, so you will miss out on a lot of that, but not so much that it won't make sense.

Not withstanding the above, I would recommend playing the first before the second. It is a better game in almost all respects, and you will enjoy the second more if you have the charm of the first to reflect on.

As far as the online, it is really optional in terms of the game, and doesn't prevent you from getting the plat.

In summary - I would recommend playing them in order, but to not strictly necessary

That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks a lot mate, I'll hold off on 2 until I can check out 1. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Dessane said:

That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks a lot mate, I'll hold off on 2 until I can check out 1. Thanks

Just to add, The first one only takes about 10-15 hours of gameplay time to plat (took me less than a weekend to plat it going in blind), You could finish the story in a day or so and come back to it later after you finish 2 if you want as well.

2 is better than 1 in almost every way so I'd recommend playing 1 first so it doesn't feel like a chore to go back to, and you'll get more out of the story by playing 1 first then going into 2 as some stuff might seem out of context, that being said it isn't required.

But yeah, I also recommend at least finishing the story to 1 (doesn't take more than a day) and then coming back to it later to plat it if you really want to, both games have no online trophies and no missable trophies so just play them and have fun! :D

Edited by Mio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mio said:

Just to add, The first one only takes about 10-15 hours of gameplay time to plat (took me less than a weekend to plat it going in blind), You could finish the story in a day or so and come back to it later after you finish 2 if you want as well.

2 is better than 1 in almost every way so I'd recommend playing 1 first so it doesn't feel like a chore to go back to, and you'll get more out of the story by playing 1 first then going into 2 as some stuff might seem out of context, that being said it isn't required.

But yeah, I also recommend at least finishing the story to 1 (doesn't take more than a day) and then coming back to it later to plat it if you really want to, both games have no online trophies and no missable trophies so just play them and have fun! :D

Awesome, thanks for that, I'll keep an eye on it and will hope for a sale :D 

• 5 months later...