A Christmas Carol question

Stargazer2600

A Christmas Carol is a story we all should know well. If by some chance you don't know the tale, know this contains spoilers. I recently watched a few of the many tellings of this story and noticed something I never had before.

In the story, Scrooge is visited by his former partner Jacob Marley. Marley explains that the chains he wears in the afterlife are forged from his greed, selfishness and He explains that it is the chain he unknowingly forged himself in life, As he spent his life on this earth obsessing over money and mistreating the poor and wretched to fill his pocket, lamenting that Christmas is the time he suffers most of all. Marley comes to Scrooge and has three spirits haunt him in a attempt to save his soul from the same fate.
All this, is the same in all versions of the story. However, it never explains what happens after. After the visitation of the ghosts, Scrooge is a changed man. He shows kindness, compassion and such. its said at the end of the tale that due to Scrooge changing, Tiny Tim lives where he would otherwise die. All this was do to Marley. Now in the tale, we dont see, hear or get any mention of Marley after he visits Scrooge. Without the intervention of Marley, Scrooge would remain unchanged.

Changing a cold heart and in the process saving a childs life, to me is the most selfless thing one can do. Knowing this, wouldnt it seem to make sense that this would free Marley from his chains? again, its never mentioned in any of the tales. was just curious

• Like 1

No because he still has to pay for his crimes. It would be like someone in jail giving a speech to some troubled youths and convincing them not to do crime. He wouldn't get a lesser prison sentence because someone else isn't stealing anymore (not a great example...but it sort of works).

Besides if you read Mr. Timothy you will see that Scrooge may have changed but he is still completely tormented by his past as he feels he can never earn his true forgiveness 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/644154.Mr_Timothy

13 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

No because he still has to pay for his crimes. It would be like someone in jail giving a speech to some troubled youths and convincing them not to do crime. He wouldn't get a lesser prison sentence because someone else isn't stealing anymore (not a great example...but it sort of works).

Besides if you read Mr. Timothy you will see that Scrooge may have changed but he is still completely tormented by his past as he feels he can never earn his true forgiveness 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/644154.Mr_Timothy

gonna be honest, I never actually read the books. be nice to read the original by Dickens

edit: that actually sounds interesting but idk if its canon

Edited by Stargazer2600

4 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

gonna be honest, I never actually read the books. be nice to read the original by Dickens

edit: that actually sounds interesting but idk if its canon

Mr .Timothy is technically not cannon as it is written by a completely different person but it is worth a read :)

I found it for like 2 bucks at a flea market and it is an interesting continuation of the tale.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Mr .Timothy is technically not cannon as it is written by a completely different person but it is worth a read :)

I found it for like 2 bucks at a flea market and it is an interesting continuation of the tale.

Thanks man :) next time I'm out I'll see if my library has it. If not, I'll find a cheap copy on eBay or something

• Like 1