I'm thinking about getting one soon but...

Caju_94

Hey there!

I've been thinking about getting a PS Vita. If I had a PS Vita right now, I would do the following:

• Getting PS Vita exclusives and games not available for the PS4;
  • Remote play with the PS4;

However, I'm still reluctant about getting it. I have other handheld consoles that I still use like the 3DS and the PSP (mainly the PSP) when in public transportation and at home I play 95% of the times with my PS4.

I've been doing some research, yet, I would like to hear your feedback about this console. With that in mind, I would like to ask you the following questions:

1. Do you think the PS Vita exclusives or games that are not exclusive to the PS Vita but are not in the PS4 (like Conception II, for example) are worth  for a console that is now around 100 euros (around 120 US Dollars)? Just a few games, or many of them? Which ones do you think are worth playing? (I'm thinking about Persona 4!!!) I like many kind of games like racing, RPGs, fighting etc etc...
  2. How is your experience with the PS4 remote play, for example, if you're at home, and you're playing remotely, or even in public transportation. I know it has some limitations due to the keys and the connections but I have some games on the PS4 that IMO are fine for playing remotely.

I will probably not buy it right now, but might consider getting one in the next few months, after finishing some titles on my PSP and 3DS (because if I get a PS Vita right now, I know that I might not finish them xD).

Thanks in advance!

I can give you some insight, since I bought one around June/July to play during summer vacations during travels and to finally play all of those PS Plus games I get every month. Got me (again) The Walking Dead S1 and Wolf Among Us S1 for 5€ both.

I also played Persona 4 Dancing All Night and some other miscellaneous games.

I bought Persona 4 Golden and plan to complete it when I'll have some time in the near future.

It's a great handheld console, despite Sony not marketing it well.

There are some nice games, but I don't think it's a must have if you're already busy with the PSP and 3DS.

I'm not so sure about racing games or fighting games, but you'll definitely get your fill of RPG games (although not as much as the PSP, IMO).

If you haven't done it (or just love the series), Persona 4 Golden is a must-buy for the system.

Honestly, if you're not tight on your budget, it doesn't hurt to get one. But if you are, it won't harm to pass on the system and save money to get the Switch if you haven't already.

Just be careful when buying one, as it will obviously be used if you're going for one around 100€.

Check photos if you can find scratches on the screen and the back of the console.

Also, get the first version of the Vita, not the second as I've heard that the screen isn't as good in the latest version.

Let me know if you need more input from my side.

Add me on PSN if you feel like.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Caju_94 said:

Do you think the PS Vita exclusives or games that are not exclusive to the PS Vita but are not in the PS4 (like Conception II, for example) are worth  for a console that is now around 100 euros (around 120 US Dollars)? Just a few games, or many of them? Which ones do you think are worth playing? (I'm thinking about Persona 4!!!) I like many kind of games like racing, RPGs, fighting etc etc...

I've had lots of fun with my Vita but, TBH, it's had less and less play since the PS4 started to ramp up the number of games. I still use it regularly to Remote Play PS4 games from bed tho!

There are many great Vita games tho. Just a quick squizz through my list and I heartily recommend:

• Persona 4 Golden
  • Severed
  • Rocketbirds
  • Danganronpa 1 & 2 (Yeah, they're on the PS4 now, but they're Vita games)
  • Steins;Gate (as above)
  • Hotline Miami (feels at home here)
  • Tearaway
  • Gravity Rush
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss

44 minutes ago, Caju_94 said:

How is your experience with the PS4 remote play, for example, if you're at home, and you're playing remotely, or even in public transportation. I know it has some limitations due to the keys and the connections but I have some games on the PS4 that IMO are fine for playing remotely.

I've never tried Remote Play from outside my house, but if you're on the same WiFi (and the PS4 is connected by LAN) then the connection is rock solid. 

3 minutes ago, omarbanzai said:

Also, get the first version of the Vita, not the second as I've heard that the screen isn't as good in the latest version.

Having messed around with my friend's Vita (he has the updated version, I have the first version) the LCD screen is admittedly not as good but I'd accept it for the better battery life, lighter weight, and better hand-feel. 

It's not enough of a difference that I'm going to buy the updated one and swap out my original Vita, but if I was buying now I'd get the updated one. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Caju_94 said:
  1. Do you think the PS Vita exclusives or games that are not exclusive to the PS Vita but are not in the PS4 (like Conception II, for example) are worth  for a console that is now around 100 euros (around 120 US Dollars)? Just a few games, or many of them? Which ones do you think are worth playing? (I'm thinking about Persona 4!!!) I like many kind of games like racing, RPGs, fighting etc etc...
  2. How is your experience with the PS4 remote play, for example, if you're at home, and you're playing remotely, or even in public transportation. I know it has some limitations due to the keys and the connections but I have some games on the PS4 that IMO are fine for playing remotely.

I will probably not buy it right now, but might consider getting one in the next few months, after finishing some titles on my PSP and 3DS (because if I get a PS Vita right now, I know that I might not finish them xD).

Thanks in advance!

1. Since you're including games that were also on 3DS (like Conception II), definitely yes. There's a lot of things to play from actual Vita exclusives and games on 3DS/Vita that weren't on PS3/PS4. Less of them in recent years since the vast majority are now also on PS4, if not more. I've never not been happy with my purchase and I bought that bundle released a week before the regular system. But to each their own.

2. It's hit and miss by game, because some devs didn't take the 10 minutes to remap controls so they suck on their game. And you can't personally customize them which ws dumb on Sony's part. Though some games can do it, Warframe let you change remote play controls specifically. Remote play is far better with PC than it is with Vita, but I did enjoy using Vita for remote play regardless. Particularly for things like grinding in a game, or going through Knack to get the platinum, or whatever while watching TV. But your mileage will vary. In terms of connection, it's fine though. Sometimes spotty, but that's due to my crappy internet.

I actually played Destiny through remote play on my Vita downstairs, while using my PS3 [also downstairs] to charge my Headset which was still connected to my PS4 upstairs. lol so it definitely works. I still use it at times when my fiance is watching tv and I want to be with him, rather than at my computer for remote play.

• Like 1

Remote play on its own was such a game-changer for me. The direct connection (i.e not having the internet as the middle man) works surprisingly well. Even when I'm sitting out in my front porch, playing Bound (while watching the sun set), the visual feed to the Vita is stable and good.

As for the Vita's exclusive library, I think the appeal varies from gamer to gamer. I like being able to play the PS One Classics on it. There's also the PSP games and Persona 4 Golden and P3P. It ain't for everyone, but I get a good mileage of enjoyment from the library.

I only decided whether or not the Vita was for me, after using store credit to get a used model from CEX. Did a 'trial week' with the thing and the handheld really clicked with me. Traded back to the store, and got myself a brand new red Vita 1000 from Japan with a 64GB memory card. Zero regrets.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

The series that I really enjoyed on my vita are:

Persona

Danganonpa (all four games on PS4)

& the Zero Escape Trilogy (all three games on PS4).

Sure 2/3 are on the PS4, but personally imo the game feels a lot better played in your hand on a smaller screen. Any TV visual novel-like games never appealed to me on the PS4 just because they seem like they're made to be played on the go. I mean I have a ton of other vita games that i've played and enjoyed on this console, but those have to be my top three favorite. **Also majority of the time when deciding over a game that's on the vita opposed to the PS4, the vita typically is always $20 cheaper than the PS4. (Typical retail price for vita games: $40, PS4: $60) Saves you money right there.

I've only tried remote play once since the tv wanted to be used for something else. I was playing Wolf Among Us using remote play. I'm not sure if it's just that game in general since even when actually played on the vita it's extremely laggy at times, I was encountering frequent lag-spikes when playing the game, while I was connected to the wifi and I was sitting about 5 feet away from the actual PS4.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2017 at 7:16 PM, Caju_94 said:

Hey there!

I've been thinking about getting a PS Vita. If I had a PS Vita right now, I would do the following:

• Getting PS Vita exclusives and games not available for the PS4;
  • Remote play with the PS4;

However, I'm still reluctant about getting it. I have other handheld consoles that I still use like the 3DS and the PSP (mainly the PSP) when in public transportation and at home I play 95% of the times with my PS4.

I've been doing some research, yet, I would like to hear your feedback about this console. With that in mind, I would like to ask you the following questions:

Thanks in advance!

1. Persona 4 Golden is a very good game and if you have spare money, Vita can be worth getting for just a few good exclusives. Just keep in mind a memory card is required, their prices are quite salty and they are known to have save corruption issues. Conception II is available on 3DS too. Also some Vita exclusives may still get a PS4 version. I have liked Vita myself but I haven't played it much lately. My first Vita's left stick broke after just 8 months for no reason, so I don't have very good experience of the quality of the hardware. If my current one breaks, I'm not going to get a new one.

2. I haven't used remote play many times but when I have it has worked well (I played at home). PS4 titles are usually designed for large screen space which may make text really tiny on Vita's small screen. If the game uses L2 and R2 buttons, they are mapped to the touch screen or the back touch pad (which is really unreliable and functions poorly) which isn't that convenient.

• Like 1

offcourse its always a good time to buy a ps vita, it got a huge library and it got always good sales on the psn store, on amazon or play asia you still can find many titles to buy. and if you love your psp then it will be easy to switch to the vita. and remote play is a godsend, that you can play every ps4 game on a little screen is so good, i use it much before i go to sleep, because my ps4 is in a separeted room and i want to finish something before sleeping

• Like 1

It depends on what games you are into. I use my vita for commuting and while travelling so I only use it for easy games, mostly otome games and visual novels. My region is Japan so my vita is full of these kinds of games, and almost all Otome and VN games are vita exclusive so it is very much worth the money for me. I use my PS4 for all the RPG's and games that require effort as I'm sitting at home so I can concentrate, which is harder on public transport. My vita is basically like a gamer's Kindle alternative, while I tend to reserve my "real gaming" to my PS4.

The only non-VN/otome VITA only games that I found worth the Vita are Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Innocence R, Tales of hearts R, Disgaea 3 and 4 (as these have all the DLC) and a couple of PSP games like FF Tactics War of lions. I also bought the vita versions of FFX/X-2 as I was living in a share house in Japan at the time, so TV use for gaming was literally 0%. 

I know Uncharted, Danganronpa, Hatsune Miku , World of FF and Gravity Rush are a few great vita games, but those all have games on PS4 as well so not really exclusive anymore.... 

1. How is your experience with the PS4 remote play, for example, if you're at home, and you're playing remotely, or even in public transportation. I know it has some limitations due to the keys and the connections but I have some games on the PS4 that IMO are fine for playing remotely.

I haven't used remote play as when I'm at home, I'd rather use the big TV screen and have plenty of vita only games that the need has never come up.

Personally, I think the vita is only worth it if you are into Visual novels, indie games, Japanese games, otome games and PSP games. If you prefer action, RPG, shooters, sport or anything else, then I think the Vita has very little to offer you in terms of exclusives that are not on PS3 or PS4 and not worth it imo. However, the vita may be good if you share a TV for gaming. I lived in different share houses for many years, so the Vita was perfect as my TV access was always restricted. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I've decided I'm going to buy one in a week or two, depending of the ones I find.

I've been looking into some VITA games that I'm interested, that way I can also trophy hunt while on bus and eventually play remotely, even at home, since I share my TV with my mom. That way, she could watch more TV.

Now I'm thinking on what I would like to have and use. I saw a Slim PSVita being sold by 260 Euros. Includes 3 physical games (Two Final Fantasy games and Killzone), a 64 GB memory card, protection case, l2/r2 grip and the original accesories. The only "bad" thing is the fact that it is a Slim.

On the other hand I have Fat PSVitas around 100 ~ 150 euros, that have memory cards up to 16 gb max, but without the L2/R2 grip.

I'm thinking about investing on a 32/64gb card, since I might download lots of games from the PSStore that are not available physically in my country. The L2/R2 grip exists for the fat version too, but is a little more expensive. Still managed to find some for 33 euros in Play Asia. It is the fat version, so it is graphically better.

What is your opinion on this?

Thanks!