AListActon

Before the storm discussion

14 posts in this topic

I beaten the game yesterday and i want to know your thoughts on the game.

Me personally i think Episode 2 is the best out of the 3... followed by 3 and then 1.

The first episode is kind of a drag and very slow start

the second was great i really enjoyed it from start to finish

the third was wishy washy but im happy with the ending (kinda disappointed that the fire had nothing to do with the game)

The original game is way better than before the storm but i am looking forward to playing as max for the final  bonus episode  

I really enjoyed the game. I definitely agree that episode 2 was the highlight. There were moments in this game that I thought had more resonance than the original Life Is Strange and I actually think I prefer this game more. Having said that I was already attached to the characters from the original game and wanted to know more about them. Overall there are definitely worse prequel trilogies

1 minute ago, libs_4eva said:

I really enjoyed the game. I definitely agree that episode 2 was the highlight. There were moments in this game that I thought had more resonance than the original Life Is Strange and I actually think I prefer this game more. Having said that I was already attached to the characters from the original game and wanted to know more about them. Overall there are definitely worse prequel trilogies

both games have fantastic stories but i prefer the original since its longer and has a better story in my opinion and yes the characters are brilliant  

I agree that the first was better. I think this one really suffered from being so short. The last episode was so weepy, it felt like all they were doing was crying lol. 

My heart hurts.

No but really, I thought this game was fantastic. A lovely tribute to the original game. I still have a lot of questions RE: Rachel's behaviour between the end of Ep 3 and LIS (from what we know about her and Frank etc), but for now I'm satisfied. Beautiful artwork, gripping story, heart-wrenching decisions, characters I love but also want to punch in the face sometimes - must be a LIS game! Lol.

As a fan, I am happy & satisfied and got more than what I paid for. I actually liked all 3 episodes in different ways. I loved the second half of the first ep, the theatre scene in 2 was gorgeous (plus that cliffhanger had me shook!) and the cinematography & established relationship between the girls in ep 3 was wonderful. Had me wanting to be a teenager again, as shocking as that sound coming from me!

Can't wait for 'Farewell'!

I finished up last night and I am in agreement with most here and that episode 2 was the strongest of the 3 episodes. Each of them had there strong points. Even though I am mostly satisfied in the back story of how Chloe and Rachel met and had a strong friendship/relationship, I still feel like there are some questions that need answering. One of them is at the conclusion of episodes 3 and what happened for Rachel to leave and not answering Chloe's calls? I know what happened from playing the first game but it still is unclear to me how she ended up were she did. 

I was quite disappointed with episode 3 tbh. I thought it would answer a lot more of the questions we had about what happens to Rachel so it would tie in directly to the first game. But it didn't explain much at all. Nothing about Frank's relationship with Rachel, nothing about Jefferson and Nathan and the events that led her to being in the dark room. All the story really went (especially EP3) into was about Rachels backstory and family problems which wasn't something I really cared that much about.

Although I still enjoyed the game. It is no where near as good as the original LiS, I wasn't expecting it to be on par with it but was hoping for more from it. The original game hit me in the feels a lot and was highly memorable for me, but I didn't feel that much from this game. I agree that EP2 was by far the best. EP1+3 weren't that great IMO.

On 21/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, AListActon said:

The original game is way better than before the storm but i am looking forward to playing as max for the final  bonus episode  

That is my conclusion after finishing the third episode.

There is a gap between the first studio that created the first game and the new studio that bring to us "before the storm". Although i still enjoyed the game.

I just finished Episode 3 a few days ago. Sure, Season 1 is definitely a stronger entry but i don't think this surprises anyone. I still loved Before the Storm though and it really did what it set out to do: enrich Season 1. After finishing BtS, I went and immediately watched some lets plays of Season 1.

The attention to detail Deck Nine paid to the game. Is incredible. For example, the graffiti I chose in Chloe's truck, was there in Season 1. I'm assuming the way they went about it is they took graffiti from S1 and broke it down into 2 halves, so this way whichever you picked showed up (although I can't be sure). Little stuff like that made the world so believable and consistent between BtS and S1, which was awesome. Deck Nine did the original justice and then some.

The story itself, while not as heavy or intense, was still really important to see Chloe and Rachel's characters grow individually and together. I think it was smart to end it the way they did...

Spoiler

At first I thought I'd see more of the transition into S1, but honestly the lack of S1's situation made the final 15 seconds that much more powerful. So many people have posted how heartbreaking the final teaser is. It is effective, in part, because the rest of the game didn't address it. It is a sober reminder of what happens and gives context of how devastating a loss Chloe has had to go through.

Before the Storm may be simple at a glance, but it is poignant reminder of Season 1's events and that is quite literally by the game's title, an achieved goal. It is a stellar entry to the series and deserving of the franchise.

I love it. I think it adds more to the original series with knowing just how close Rachael and Chloe were. Yes there is stuff in the middle that would have been nice to flesh out, but I am very happy with how it turned out. Especially the heart breaking after credits shot. Episode 2 is my favorite out of the three, and I am very excited to see what this bonus episode has in store for us.  

Didn't really enjoy it. Felt more like a cash-grab for me. Don't get me wrong, It was mediocre, but still passable. It just felt like a lot of filler was put in. I totally understand that you can't exactly do much if the main game's already made & you decide to make a prequel out of it, but it was just eh.

Still hoping for the bonus episode to end up okay, but I'm having my doubts.

On 26-12-2017 at 4:06 PM, silentbob987 said:

I was quite disappointed with episode 3 tbh. I thought it would answer a lot more of the questions we had about what happens to Rachel so it would tie in directly to the first game. But it didn't explain much at all. Nothing about Frank's relationship with Rachel, nothing about Jefferson and Nathan and the events that led her to being in the dark room. All the story really went (especially EP3) into was about Rachels backstory and family problems which wasn't something I really cared that much about.

Although I still enjoyed the game. It is no where near as good as the original LiS, I wasn't expecting it to be on par with it but was hoping for more from it. The original game hit me in the feels a lot and was highly memorable for me, but I didn't feel that much from this game. I agree that EP2 was by far the best. EP1+3 weren't that great IMO.

I feel exactly the same. Even though I definitely enjoyed Before the Storm for what it was, I wished it would have answered a lot more questions we had from the first game.

It's interesting reading everyone else's opinion on the game.

I feel like people are in one of 2 camps: The "I loved it" camp, and the "It didn't really do what I wanted it to" camp. Fortunately, nobody really outright hated it.

It probably depends on what you expected. BtS is more of a horizontal slice of a story, and I think others probably wanted something more vertical, that went into more detail of the transition between BtS and LiS 1. That's honestly fair enough, considering how good Season 1 was, it's easy to want that. Personally, I was all for having a more isolated, contextual story, which I think BtS delivered on. Even if it wasn't as heavy as Season 1...I'm almost glad it didn't try to attempt to be like that.

I am, however, hoping for that and more with a Season 2.

Just finished the game yesterday.

Of course, not as powerful as the first one, but still a very emotional game. I never expected to like LiS so much when it comes out on PS Plus, and now I'm even more interested in games of the genre.

As far as BtS is concerned, my favourite part was Episode 1's ending when Rachel suddenly broke out. I completely froze when I saw that scene that IMO was very powerful indeed. Well, naturally, the second episode is the most interesting since it has the major story development. It is natural that people don't prefer Episode 1 since it's an introduction to the story and to the characters. As for episode 3, I felt that it was a little too "rushy". When you are about to possibly Damon, you immediately get to a scene alone with Sera, this transition was a little strange to me. 

I liked the fact that they tried to stay as loyal as possible to the first game and their effort to not interfere or create contradictions with the first game (the fact they added new characters instead of using much existing ones helped with that, of course). As for the characters, I feel that I ended up understanding more Rachel, and I really, really liked Rachel, which makes me even more sadened about what happened to her at the first game, now that she appeared in BtS. In this game, I even liked more David and Nathan. I chose to be "good" to David and he kinda explained himself why he is the way he is. As for Nathan, he seemed nicer, even though he was already a spoiled brat. I don't know if it's because of the decisions I took, but I gave some advice to Samantha and at the end, those two seemed happy together (even at the hospital room, haha, what the hell happened to them? 😂). New characters like Skip, Drew, Steph, Mikey, quite lovable ones (Expect you Ellliot, creepy AF since the beginning). Storywise, they could have explained about Rachel's relationship with Frank and how Nathan and Jefferson ended up doing what they did, but oh well, overall, very cool.

Let the Bonus Episode come! Even though I think it won't add much, unless they explain better the part where Max left Arcadia Bay and her life in Seattle.

I love this series! 😀