New Year's Contest 2018 - Winners Announced!

6 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

It's because time flies when you're having fun :awesome: .

lol, well that completely changes what I am going to play next week. 

I will have the DEX platinum tomorrow. I would have had it today but the guide was really bad at explaining how to NOT miss out on the 24 or 25 missable trophies as missing a line of dialog can lock you out of like 2 or 3. I beat it with just 3 missing trophies so that will be done tomorrow. Unfortunately one of the trophies you earn halfway through the game but doesn't unlock until the ending :(

Then after that I have to figure out if Chaotic Shadow Warriors can be done in 3 days. The guides are all weird on the time needed and I don't know what the actual time is because I already finished the online portion like 6 years ago so that should subtract from the time needed to beat the very boring single player for that Ultra Rare platinum.

If I don't have time to beat that I might settle with spending the time 100% Walking Dead Season 2...so many choices :hmm:

45 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

lol, well that completely changes what I am going to play next week. 

I will have the DEX platinum tomorrow. I would have had it today but the guide was really bad at explaining how to NOT miss out on the 24 or 25 missable trophies as missing a line of dialog can lock you out of like 2 or 3. I beat it with just 3 missing trophies so that will be done tomorrow. Unfortunately one of the trophies you earn halfway through the game but doesn't unlock until the ending :(

Then after that I have to figure out if Chaotic Shadow Warriors can be done in 3 days. The guides are all weird on the time needed and I don't know what the actual time is because I already finished the online portion like 6 years ago so that should subtract from the time needed to beat the very boring single player for that Ultra Rare platinum.

If I don't have time to beat that I might settle with spending the time 100% Walking Dead Season 2...so many choices :hmm:

Are you gonna finish the MKX plat before the end of the event? 

And I've been neglecting to say much about what I've been playing, but I was very proud of myself for finishing with the fastest time on the site for 2 of the last 3 games I played (the other one I got 3rd fastest, missed 1st by 6 minutes :().  One of those, Handball 16, was an Ultra Rare plat too, which is ironic cause the game is extremely easy to plat, but I was looking for a UR H plat for the A-Z club, so it works.  I think what messes most people up in this game is the learning curve.  The controls are awful, the gameplay is heavily lacking, defense is a crap-shoot, the goalie for lower star teams just stands there watching every goal go past him, offensive strategy consists of only 1 viable 'tactic', and since the AI usually will go on godlike runs if you keep playing, once you get the lead you just sit on it for the rest of the match doing nothing.  Coupled with no tutorial, no in-game help, and being a fairly obscure game here in the states (I only know if it's existence thanks to watching some German stream of the last Olympics where they showed a few matches), I'm not surprised most people quit this game in the first hour of play.  I'm pretty good at learning new tactics in games like this, and I was pulling my hair out for the first couple hours, watching countless youtube videos, and just kept trying match after match until I finally came up with a fairly reliable strategy.  It also doesn't help that all the starter teams are 1-star, and even the 2-star teams you can transfer to in your first season are absolute garbage.  With all that said, if you manage to get going early in this game, follow the right strategy, and just keep chugging away, you could plat it in 1 sitting over the course of 12-16 hours.  Counting my initial struggles, I played about 5-6 hours the first night (most of which was hair pulling), and then another 8-10 hours the next day before I got plat.  There's no real grind past the repetitive and boring matches, and if you transfer teams at the right time get an offer from the right 5-star team in your 3rd/4th season, it's very doable.  However, that's only on PS3 and PS4, the Vita version you can't self-boost a couple trophies that I consider impossible (for me at least) playing AI matches, like 5 goals in a row without the opponent scoring and by winning a match by more than 10 goals.  There's no difficulty settings, and the AI just plain and simply cheats whenever it feels like it.  It's such an awful game.  And so few people have the plat that when I got it the plat rarity went up by 3 hundreths of a percent, lol.

9 hours ago, Myu said:

I should be around 500 pts right now (or a little less) and it so stressful to not know how other people are doing :P I don't know if I should try to plat one more little game before the deadline or not. 

I earned so many trophies this month that it is now my second best month quantity-wise. I also tried to go for lower rarity games and I managed to improve some of my stats. This is truly a nice event to get some motivation :D.

I've been keeping track of a few people, and while my math could be wrong, I'm fairly certain that the top 3 spots will be claimed by people with at least 1000 points.  Of course, this is assuming that on top of my math being correct, that those I've tracked also keep working at their score through the end of the event.  If they stop now, then 3rd might be obtainable for under 1000.  Also, I have not tracked everyone, not by a long shot, so there could be some other heavy hitters I missed, but I'd say that 500 points, which is pretty awesome btw, won't be enough for the top 3.  However, in the spirit of the event, just keep going and see how high you can get!  The prizes are just a bonus, the pride of knocking out a bunch of games from your backlog is the whole point.  Plus like I said, I might suck at math :P

9 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I've been keeping track of a few people, and while my math could be wrong, I'm fairly certain that the top 3 spots will be claimed by people with at least 1000 points.  Of course, this is assuming that on top of my math being correct, that those I've tracked also keep working at their score through the end of the event.  If they stop now, then 3rd might be obtainable for under 1000.  Also, I have not tracked everyone, not by a long shot, so there could be some other heavy hitters I missed, but I'd say that 500 points, which is pretty awesome btw, won't be enough for the top 3.  However, in the spirit of the event, just keep going and see how high you can get!  The prizes are just a bonus, the pride of knocking out a bunch of games from your backlog is the whole point.  Plus like I said, I might suck at math :P

1000 points! That IS impressive! 

I'm definitely curious about which games were chosen by the top 3 people. This is going to be interesting. :D 

I personally tried to go with short games with low to medium rarity completion %. 

Fortunately I got a carton with games of my friends, we have a little game-borrow-chain and the one before me finished his games in the carton on 20th of january. So I was able to play games of that carton, otherwise I would have never made it to a score like I have.

I had a few games I spared for january but in the end some of them are still untouched bc of the gamecarton I got.

I intendet to plat hitman go and a few Legos, along with all 4 singstar plats but my new job came up and I couldn't do the singstar plats. long storý short ma whole plan was f*****up vis majorxD

I'm still happy with my score but I don't think I make it.

Matto_Isi is right, 1000 will be minimum, and I have that but I worked 40h/week so other must have more points.

16 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Are you gonna finish the MKX plat before the end of the event? 

No, there is just too much to do that is based off randomness that I never figured I would. I just really like the game so I keep playing it when I should be working on stuff for the contest ^_^

I am doing the Feb/March Love Boat challenge so Mortal Kombat will be one of my games for that (and yes it will make sense when I post why ^_^

So, I won't get anymore platinums for this month. I though I could platinum Croixleur Sigma, but no, it's quite the challenge.

Have not made much progress, but like I said, I have a rather busy life so these are my results:

Need for Speed: Rivals (PS4)

:silver: 1

:gold: 2

:platinum: 1

Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4)

:bronze: 15

:silver: 15

:gold: 4

Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (PS4)

:bronze: 3

:gold: 1

Thanks for this event! Hope I found one where I can invest more time on it. ;)

Less than 24 hours remaining, time to get those last trophies in during the final day. Here's something fitting to motivate you all. Enjoy this classic song that never gets old :D .

9 hours ago, Caju_94 said:

Thanks for this event! Hope I found one where I can invest more time on it. ;)

You're welcome, I hope you had fun and will participate again next year.

15 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Do we have to do the calculation on our own? It’s kinda complicated :P

Yes :devil: ... but you can also just post a list of games and amount of trophies unlocked during the contest, because I'll be checking them all.

• Like 3

Because of the State of the Union Address here in the US tonight, and work tomorrow, I won't be earning more trophies during this period. So my games and trophies are as follows:

The Evil Within - 18 trophies, 17 bronze, 1 silver.

The Evil Within DLC - 17 trophies, 14 bronze, 3 silver.

I am pretty sure the DLC trophies don't count unless I achieved the plat, which I did not...

So my score for The Evil Within is: (100 - 3.8) * 1.5 * (285/1230) = 33.44

Then I earned 5 trophies in Crash Bandicoot, all bronze...

Crash Bandicoot: (100 -12.9) * 1.2 * (75/1260) = 6.22

Then I earned a bronze and a gold in Wheel of Fortune...

WoF: (100 -9.41) * 0.5 * (105/315) = 15.09

And a gold in AC Unity...

AC Unity: (100 - 12.36) * 1.5  * (90/1200) = 9.86

So my totals are: 33.44 + 6.22 + 15.09 + 9.86 = 64.61

This assumes WoF takes 5 hours to complete. I have been unable to find an exact completion time on the internet. It also assumes the rarities won't change on the plats for the games I have played between now and February 1.

I haven't come close to the Top 5, but it was fun nonetheless. I will prep better for next January.

Edited by ShogunCroCop

44 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Less than 24 hours remaining, time to get those last trophies in during the final day. Here's something fitting to motivate you all. Enjoy this classic song that never gets old :D .

Yes :devil: ... but you can also just post a list of games and amount of trophies unlocked during the contest, because I'll be checking them all.

Yeap, you have to garantie that everybody is doing legit :P

I’m trying 2 more platinum tomorrow :/ they’re almost 100% so just a little bit more :P

9 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Because of the State of the Union Address here in the US tonight, and work tomorrow, I won't be earning more trophies during this period. So my games and trophies are as follows:

The Evil Within - 18 trophies, 17 bronze, 1 silver.

The Evil Within DLC - 17 trophies, 14 bronze, 3 silver.

I am pretty sure the DLC trophies don't count unless I achieved the plat, which I did not...

So my score for The Evil Within is: (100 - 3.8) * 1.5 * (285/1230) = 33.44

Then I earned 5 trophies in Crash Bandicoot, all bronze...

Crash Bandicoot: (100 -12.9) * 1.2 * (75/1260) = 6.22

Then I earned a bronze and a gold in Wheel of Fortune...

WoF: (100 -9.41) * 0.5 * (105/315) = 15.09

And a gold in AC Unity...

AC Unity: (100 - 12.36) * 1.5  * (90/1200) = 9.86

So my totals are: 33.44 + 6.22 + 15.09 + 9.86 = 64.61

This assumes WoF takes 5 hours to complete. I have been unable to find an exact completion time on the internet. It also assumes the rarities won't change on the plats for the games I have played between now and February 1.

I haven't come close to the Top 5, but it was fun nonetheless. I will prep better for next January.

Wait, does Bronze, Silver, Gold count to this without a platinum? :o because I’m trying to beat my personal best month and a have over 500 trophies this month :/

8 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

Been having a lot of fun clearing through my backlog, albeit shorter games though.  Been a great way to start the year :D

Awesome and as a bonus: you should have less games to worry about with all those new releases coming up this year.

7 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

*snip* 

7 hours ago, TurtlePM said:

Wait, does Bronze, Silver, Gold count to this without a platinum? :o because I’m trying to beat my personal best month and a have over 500 trophies this month :/

Sadly, no without a plat those trophies don't count.

Well, life and my internet connection got in my way a little too much this month and I haven’t been able to finish as many games as I wanted.

Completed:

Puzzle Showdown 4K

Dungeon Punks (1080/1185 points)

As I get off work right when the contest ends it looks like that’s unfortunately it for me. It’s still been a pretty productive month, I almost have the Peggle 2 platinum and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories is a little more than half done by my calculations, so I should get them both pretty quickly next month. I look forward to beating my score next year xD

Well, this is me done for the month (rarity subject to change):

Spoiler

2dX8PCq.png

Surprised to see that the platinums for all these games actually became rarer throughout the month, I expected it to be the opposite. I tried to squeeze in a cheeky MGSV plat as well but Christ I did not anticipate all the stonewalls with deployment missions, developments, resource grinds etc.

All in all, I'm OK with what I've achieved as I managed to get a few personal milestone goals out of the way and some nice speed ranks too. Could have crammed in another 200 or so points, but I was having too much fun with some of the titles :D 

Good luck everyone!

• Like 3

Since I'm at work for the rest of the day, I'll post my games now. Not in line for any prizes or anything, but a decent amount of progress made for myself.

Blue Reflection - (100-31.15)*1.3*(945/1230) = 68.766
Mahjong Carnival - (100-43.55)*1*(60/315) = 10.752
Mahjong Gold - (100-25.20)*1*(30/315) = 7.124
Pirate Solitaire - (100-10.89)*1*(225/315) = 63.650
Life is Strange: Before the Storm - (100-48.78)*1*(1215/1215) = 51.220
Mahjong World Contest - (100-39.08)*1*(105/315) = 20.307

Total = 221.819

The four 8floor games I cleaned up don't have guides here (or are on HLTB), so I used the estimated time on playstationtrophies.org. They were all around 8-10 hours.

• Like 1

Well, here`s the trophies I got

DC Universe Online (PS4):

:silver: 3

:gold: 10

:platinum: 1

Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4):

:bronze: 34

:silver: 11

:gold: 2

Assassin's Creed II (PS3):

:bronze: 34

:silver: 15

:gold: 1

Time for me to enjoy my first new Release this year: Dragon Ball FighterZ and get my 100 plat: Soul Calibur II before Soul Calibur VI comes out

Oh I leave the Math to @Dragon-Archon

Edited by Leon Castle

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Awesome and as a bonus: you should have less games to worry about with all those new releases coming up this year.

Sadly, no without a plat those trophies don't count.

Not sadly, it would be a pain counting all my 500 trophies this month :o lol 

Amazing score @Zolkovo and great choice with games too.  I'd be very surprised if that wasn't a winning score.

I hope you don't mind but I copied your format for my own score calculations.  The rarities were taken from just now, so I know they are subject to change between now and when the final scores are counted.

I'm happy with my score overall, I could have squeezed in a few more games but generally I've had a lot of fun this month

ARPmdWM.png

On 1/4/2018 at 7:59 AM, Edunstar84 said:

I hope I got the points right: 

Ar Tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel

:bronze: = 135

:silver: = 120

:platinum: = 180

= 435

(100-8.28) x 2 x (435/1230) = 64.9 Total Points

My rarity has changed. Not

(100-8.33) x 2 x (435/1230) = 64.8 Total Points

Love your avatar, Edunstar. Black cats are always my lucky charm(contrary to popular belief) due to a certain book series about a cat private eye. I even have a real black cat at my place. ?

17 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Since this seems to be a backlog challenge, I don't think I'll be able to join the next one. While I do have a backlog of sorts, it's not on my current account. I've made a New Years' resolution never to impulse buy games on PSN without checking them out on Youtube. *coughcoughGingerBeyondTheCrystal*