New Year's Contest 2018 - Winners Announced!

3 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

The rules say nothing about trophies not counting if not getting the plat. I'll play by those rules, but maybe next year it might be good to specify.

I thought it would be clear, since the base of the score formula is obtaining the plat. Without a plat, you have no points. But I can see how it could be interpreted in another way, so I'll add it next year.

48 minutes ago, monkeydluffy512 said:

Hey, @Dragon-Archon just want to know what is the best way to post up results to make things easier for you.

The image @Zolkovo makes things the easiest to check, as it already mentions the plat rarity, playtime, obtained points, and total points for the main game excluding the DLC points. Though the way Arctic Cress posted the results is also easy to check.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

11 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I thought it would be clear, since the base of the score formula is obtaining the plat. Without a plat, you have no points. But I can see how it could be interpreted in another way, so I'll add it next year.

Yeah I guess that's true. No worries. It was just a misunderstanding on my part. Consider my actual score 0.00 then :P

I don't think I'll be able to fit in a final game today, so here's my final score

Spoiler

pPqEq65.png

Apparently, my point goal was too small and I blew past it. I will probably end up in position 5 or 6 judging from some of the absurd scores I saw, but I'm still super proud of the amount of games I was able to clear in a single month. Also I ended up with a number 1 fastest clear time in a game by a whole hour! (Trivial Pursuit Live). All in all, it was a really cool contest and I was glad to be part of it.

• Like 2

Okay, I think this it for me. Looking at other scores I think I'll be lucky if I land in the top 10

Spoiler

Game Rarity Hours Multiplier Earned Points Base Points Score
Energy Balance 61.96 5 0.5 270 1185 4.333670886
Hyperdevotion noire goddesss black heart 11.29 70 1.7 210 1200 26.391225
Volume 33.65 7 1 210 1230 11.32804878
Energy Cycle 96.77 5 0.5 270 1140 0.3825
36 Fragments of Midnight 79.73 1 0.5 270 1170 2.338846154
Dungeon Punks 8.15 27 1.27 270 1185 26.57836709
Funk of Titans 77.2 7.5 1 270 1155 5.32987013
Mecho Tales 76.01 4 0.5 270 1170 2.768076923
Taco Master 49.57 8 1 225 1155 9.824025974
SpellSpire 7.14 45 1.45 450 1185 51.13177215
Code Realize- Guardian of Rebirth 48.78 10 1.1 420 1200 19.7197
Puppeteer 4.47 35 1.35 195 1230 20.44575
Monster Jam Battlegrounds 52.02 5 0.5 270 1230 5.266097561
Ragnorok Odyssey Ace 6 90 1.9 210 1230 30.49268293
Borderlands the pre-sequel 7.41 50 1.5 345 1215 39.43648148
inFamous Second Son 31.94 20 1.2 1200 1200 81.672
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed 24.75 50 1.5 1230 1230 112.875
inFamous First Light 22.54 15 1.15 1230 1230 89.079
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell 11.95 22 1.22 1185 1185 107.421
TellTale Batman Season 1 65.11 9 1 1155 1155 34.89
Just Cause 3 4.28 90 1.9 1185 1185 181.868
My Name is Mayo 96.88 1 0.5 1230 1230 1.56
The Order: 1886 37.38 10 1.1 1230 1230 68.882
One Piece: Burning Blood 27.41 20 1.2 390 1230 27.61960976
Virginia 64.46 3.5 0.5 1200 1200 17.77

Total           979.4037248

• Like 1

yes I managed to plat Lego jurassic world right now xD

well I have to admit I thought every trophy will count so my score suffers much on that fact, the last singstar trophy wouldnt pop after 700 songs... must be a broken counter so I have to calc all that points out :(

this month was a lot of fun though!

I broke my personal record and earned 508 trophies, 10 platinums and completed 14 games from the scratch, well 13. one game was actually started 2017. only one, really.

I started more but as I learned now they don't count but thats fine.(mostly)

Actually I started saints row only to make sure I get the online trophy before the servers shut down....

anyway, my games are (from the scratch):

- Hatoful Boyfriend (?)

- Lego Marvel Avengers PS4 with all 6 DLCs (:platinum:)

- Child of light PS4 (?)

- Alice Madness Returns (:platinum:)

- Batman Telltale (:platinum:)

- Blood knight (?)

- Kingdom Hearts ReCoded (?)

- Hakuoki Kyoto Winds (:platinum:)

- Steins Gate 0 PS4 (:platinum:)

- Steins Gate 0 Vita JP (:platinum:)

- Root letter PS4 (:platinum:)

- Lego Jurassic World Vita (:platinum:)

- Hakuoki PS3 INT (:platinum:)

I finished one game that was started in 2017:

- Hakuoki Ps3 JP (plat)

I earned these Hakuoki trophies in January 2018:

:bronze: x 7

:silver: x 10

:gold: x 3

:platinum: x 1

That shoud be around 834 points (but my plat rarities are from last week)

I started these games, that unfortunately do not count... :(

- SIngstar PS3 EU :bronze:x 18  :silver:x 8   :gold:x 4

- Singstar PS4 US :bronze:x 18  :silver:x 5   :gold:x 2

- Saints Row The Third PS3 :bronze:x 16  :silver:x 1

- Saints Row 4 PS3 :bronze:x 5

- Assassins Creed Revelations :bronze:x 3  :silver:x 5

With these I would have around 1100 points. so sad ^^"

• Like 1

Well I was hoping to get 100% in Uncanny Valley today but I screwed up my playthrough and don't feel like starting again. So here is what I did this month. I may not win but thanks to the Plat Rain I did do 26 platinums this month :P

EDIT-OK I can't figure out why the Spoilers keep showing up. I don't have them anywhere in my post :(

Spoiler

LittleBigPlanet

1 :silver:

1 :platinum:

Remember Me

1 :gold:

Goosebumps

Okabu

:bronze:

:gold:

My Name is Mayo

46 :bronze:

Batman

Monster Jam Battlegrounds

Sorcery Saga Curse of the Great Curry God

Severed

:silver:

Dungeon Punks

Adventures of Mana

:bronze:

2 :silver:

5 :gold:

Madden 11

1 :bronze:

Game of Thrones

inFAMOUS First Light

inFAMOUS Second Son

2:silver:

Duke Nukem 3D

Yooka-Laylee

Ratchet & Clank

Ride to Hell Retribution

X-Blaze Lost Memories

29 :bronze:

5 :silver:

Final Fantasy VII

13 :bronze:

13 :silver:

Batman - PS4

15 :bronze:

10 :silver:

Saints Row Gat Out Of Hell

35 :bronze:

7  :silver:

Psych Pass Mandatory Happiness

16 :bronze:

15 :silver:

Dust an Elysian Tail

16 :bronze:

Dex

19 :bronze:

Kitten Squad   (100%)

9 :bronze:

Edited by Dr_Mayus

I didn't have enough time to plat Oxenfree tonight (only one missing trophy because I followed two guides telling me to do opposite things on here and .org...).

I'll post my final score tomorrow as it's already pretty late here and I should already be asleep :) 

I already see a lot of people with amazing scores. :D 

The contest ended a little over an hour ago. Thank you all for participating, I hope you had fun and managed to dent that backlog a bit in preparation for this year's new releases. Also a special thanks to the people who posted their scores, that makes it easier to double-check it. With how busy I am at the moment, I estimate it'll take about 10 days at most to calculate the scores of all 60 participants.

• Like 2

Finished :)

Ok, so my games are:

. Men in Black: Alien Crisis

. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus

. AGS: Galaga

. The Deadly Tower of Monsters

. Forma8

. Tearaway

. That’s You

. Truck Racers

. Psycho-Pass Mandatory

. Trine 2

Now the calculation :/ If someone can help with that. With the exception of That’s You, I earn all trophies this month.

Here are my totals for the month (all rarities were taken today, after the contest ended):

Spoiler

2cqk65c.jpg

I had already started Saints Row IV before the month started (which is accounted for in the spreadsheet), but all other games were started and finished during January.  Hopefully this is good enough to get into the Top 3.

As far as time estimates go, here are the sites used and some notes on how I calculated the time estimates:

Spoiler

Saints Row IV - Main Game: PSNP | DLC Dom: PSNP | DLC Xmas: PSNP - I used the PS3 trophy guide as there wasn't one for PS4, but the game/list is the exact same.

Beach Buggy Racing - PST - No guide available on PSNP

XBlaze Lost: Memories - PST - No guide available on PSNP

Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness - PST - The PSNP guide does not specify a time, but is the same step by step walkthrough as PST.

Minecraft: Story Mode (PS3 & PS4) - PSNP - PS4 guide, but the game is the same on PS3.  Guide only shows time estimate for base game (5 episodes).  PST (scroll down to Ep 5 in the roadmap) specifies base game and DLC episode times, for confirmation.

The Bureau XCOM Declassified - PSNP

Truck Racer - PST - No guide available on PSNP

Life is Strange (PS3 & PS4) - PSNP

Uncharted 4 - PSNP

Monster Jam Battlegrounds - PST - No guide available on PSNP

Valiant Hearts - PSNP

Handball 16 - PSNP

Hidden Agenda - No guide on PSNP; PST guide didn't include the time estimate from the time estimate thread here.  Additionally, time is specified in post 10 of the trophy guide.

Trine 3 - PSNP

Army of Two: Devil's Cartel - PST - No guide available on PSNP

Most are on PSNP, and the majority of the rest are clearly listed on PST.org.  Hopefully the links help with quickly confirming times (I know you're gonna have a lot of work to do in this regard).

Final Notes on Hidden Agenda:

Originally I wasn't going to play Hidden Agenda for the competition, but I got through my other games faster than I thought and was running low on games to play.  I was worried about the time estimate on howlongtobeat being grossly inaccurate for platinum as it's only an estimate for a single playthough of the story.  Hidden Agenda is a western styled VN, of sorts.  It's a lot like Heavy Rain in some ways, with 5 different endings requiring multiple full (or near full) playthroughs to achieve.  There's no line skipping and no chapter select, so partial playthroughs and branching choices rely on creative save backups if you're going for faster plat times.  To get all 5 endings organically would take probably closer to 12-15 hours, as it's 2-3 hours per playthrough.  Even with backups, a major branch occurs near the beginning of the game, and there are endings that require each branch.  Even using a step by step guide, backing up my saves and overwriting them along the way, trying to get through the game as fast as I can, it still took me nearly 6 hours, and I was the 3rd fastest time on the site, missing 1st by only 6 minutes.  Honestly, even with swift timing making backups and perfect execution of each event throughout the game, platinum is not possible below 5 and a half hours, and that includes skipping the final scenes and credits of each ending to exit the game early and reload older saves to reach new endings faster; basically speed-running the game.  And this is only possible with a step by step walkthrough that specifies each dialogue choice, QTE, and action that must be taken every step of the way.  Also, all guides and forum threads I found from PSNP, PST, and TT all agree on a 6-10 hour estimate if using a guide.  So that's why I included the links I did, and reject the single playthrough time estimate of 2 hours from howlongtobeat.  I'm not sure if it'll matter for my final position in the contest, but just figured I'd get this out there just in case.

• Like 1

Here is the list of games I finished for this contest.  I will let the official scorekeepers decide the rarity and time multipliers.

Mecho Tales (Vita) - (1170/1170)

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Episode 2 - (315/315)

Doodle Kingdom (ps4) - (30/315)

Murdered: Soul Suspect (ps3) - (1155/1155)

Gone Home - (315/315)

Wheels of Aurelia (NA) - (1140/1140)

Syberia 2 - (315/315)

The Deadly Tower of Monsters - (1140/1140)

Lost Grimoires: Stolen Kingdom - (1170/1170)

The Sexy Brutale - (1140/1140)

Planet of Eyes - (1140/1140)

Uncanny Valley - (315/315)

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition (1200/1200)

ICEY - (1140/1140)

Doodle God (ps4) - (300/300)

The Walking Dead: Season 2 (vita) - (1035/1035)

Twin Robots (vita) - (1230/1230)

Squareboy vs. Bullies (vita) - (1230/1230)

The Wolf Among Us (vita) - (1155/1155)

Dear Esther: Landmark Edition - (300/300)

36 Fragments of Midnight (ps4) - (1170/1170)

I swear I can’t understand the calculation of the time like you are asking and, when I check other people table, each of them are different.

Under 5h = x 0.5

Between 5 and 10 = ?

10h = x 1

15h = ?

20h = ?

It would be easier if you say: each hour = 0.1 and we could all calculate that way.

Something strange too is that you said that Easy Plats won’t count - you example with Sound Shapes; a lot of platinums are over 70% (much easier than sound shapes). How do we know that those count or not?

7 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

I swear I can’t understand the calculation of the time like you are asking and, when I check other people table, each of them are different.

Under 5h = x 0.5

Between 5 and 10 = ?

10h = x 1

15h = ?

20h = ?

It would be easier if you say: each hour = 0.1 and we could all calculate that way.

Something strange too is that you said that Easy Plats won’t count - you example with Sound Shapes; a lot of platinums are over 70% (much easier than sound shapes). How do we know that those count or not?

I asked this same question a few days ago, DA's answer can be seen middle of page 9, but I also wrote it out below.

5 hours and under is .5x

5.01-9.99 hours is 1x

10-10.99 hours is 1.1x

20-20.99 hours is 1.2x

etc...

100%/Plat examples:

2 hours = .5x

10 hours = 1.1x

35 hours = 1.3x

4-6 hours = .5x (averages to 5 hours)

15-25 hours = 1.2x (averages to 20 hours)

I agree that for fairness in the future, having each hour represent .1x would be the simplest solution.  For this contest, under 10 hours gets either a .5x or a 1x multiplier, and every 10 hour increment after that adds .1x.  Do you have any specific games or times you're curious about?

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

I asked this same question a few days ago, DA's answer can be seen middle of page 9, but I also wrote it out below.

5 hours and under is .5x

5.01-9.99 hours is 1x

10-10.99 hours is 1.1x

20-20.99 hours is 1.2x

etc...

100%/Plat examples:

2 hours = .5x

10 hours = 1.1x

35 hours = 1.3x

4-6 hours = .5x (averages to 5 hours)

15-25 hours = 1.2x (averages to 20 hours)

I agree that for fairness in the future, having each hour represent .1x would be the simplest solution.  For this contest, under 10 hours gets either a .5x or a 1x multiplier, and every 10 hour increment after that adds .1x.  Do you have any specific games or times you're curious about?

Thank you. I finally did it and it’s around 699 points.

I think that time shouldn’t be part of the score. It’s based on 1 PSNProfiles personal state. You have people that knows the game and glitches and Plat it under 2h, but for someone playing it from scratch, it might take 5/6h.

The one that confuses me more (it wasn’t that changed my score): That’s You doesn’t take 7h to 100%. You need to play 30 games, the shortest (with 2 players) takes 15min. So:

4 Games - 1 Hour

30 Games - 7h30min

You have to play with 3, 4, 5 and 6 players for each trophy and one of them is with all players locally making questions of their own (more time to play). So it might be around 10H minimum.

Thats why I think it shouldn’t be part of the score. I do agree that 100%-Rarity x Trophies earned, though. I guess the Rarity speaks for itself. If you Platinum a 90% Rarity game, you have less points, no matter if you took 1h or 1day (like I do) to complete it.

6 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I have a statement you can use for the next New Year's event to that effect:

"The game must have a platinum trophy. This platinum is the foundation of the score. Any games without a plat will be worth zero points."

10 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Thank you. I finally did it and it’s around 699 points.

I think that time shouldn’t be part of the score. It’s based on 1 PSNProfiles personal state. You have people that knows the game and glitches and Plat it under 2h, but for someone playing it from scratch, it might take 5/6h.

The one that confuses me more (it wasn’t that changed my score): That’s You doesn’t take 7h to 100%. You need to play 30 games, the shortest (with 2 players) takes 15min. So:

4 Games - 1 Hour

30 Games - 7h30min

You have to play with 3, 4, 5 and 6 players for each trophy and one of them is with all players locally making questions of their own (more time to play). So it might be around 10H minimum.

Thats why I think it shouldn’t be part of the score. I do agree that 100%-Rarity x Trophies earned, though. I guess the Rarity speaks for itself. If you Platinum a 90% Rarity game, you have less points, no matter if you took 1h or 1day (like I do) to complete it.

1 minute ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I have a statement you can use for the next New Year's event to that effect:

"The game must have a platinum trophy. This platinum is the foundation of the score. Any games without a plat will be worth zero points."

This is how most competitions work.  Normally you can only play games with Plats and you can't start a game before the competition begins.  You get credit for 1 completed game for each plat you earn.  DA wanted to make this contest more open, allowing people to play games they already started and play PSN titles that don't have plats.  I think this is considerate and an interesting addition from a strategic standpoint.  The only problem is you can't have plats that are setup for Platinum Rain count equally to those that someone spent a whole month trying to earn.  While I think this point system of using 2 multipliers (time and trophy percentage) is a decent solution, it could use some tweaks but could work long-term for any competitions on this site.  With that said, there's never going to be a perfect way to calculate time, unless you limit the games to ones with 100/1000/[insert arbitray number here] votes (like PST has a voting thread, or TT allows you to estimate your time only after you finish the game).  Even then, there's always some people who are just faster than others.  The only contests that are statistically fair in regards to time estimates are the ones that require all participants to play the exact same list of games.  Again, some people will be faster than others, but at least everyone is on equal footing.  Those competitions do exist here, and I avoid them more so cause I never have the games they require, but I also like to work on my backlog my own way, so they don't suit me.

However you dice it up, some people will prefer some ways of doing calculations over others.  I'm fine with this setup (just as long as we acknowledge realistic plat times), but I could go for a contest that only counts plats regardless of other factors, or as you described Turtle and just use 100 minus the plat rarity.  Either way, the contest is up to the person running it.  I had a good time with this one and cleared out a lot of games, including my borrowed backlog (physical discs I borrowed from friends that just sit next to my TV gathering dust, lol).  It's a nice way to begin the year, especially considering I might not get this many plats the remaining 11 months :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matto_lsi said:

This is how most competitions work.  Normally you can only play games with Plats and you can't start a game before the competition begins.  You get credit for 1 completed game for each plat you earn.  DA wanted to make this contest more open, allowing people to play games they already started and play PSN titles that don't have plats.  I think this is considerate and an interesting addition from a strategic standpoint.  The only problem is you can't have plats that are setup for Platinum Rain count equally to those that someone spent a whole month trying to earn.  While I think this point system of using 2 multipliers (time and trophy percentage) is a decent solution, it could use some tweaks but could work long-term for any competitions on this site.  With that said, there's never going to be a perfect way to calculate time, unless you limit the games to ones with 100/1000/[insert arbitray number here] votes (like PST has a voting thread, or TT allows you to estimate your time only after you finish the game).  Even then, there's always some people who are just faster than others.  The only contests that are statistically fair in regards to time estimates are the ones that require all participants to play the exact same list of games.  Again, some people will be faster than others, but at least everyone is on equal footing.  Those competitions do exist here, and I avoid them more so cause I never have the games they require, but I also like to work on my backlog my own way, so they don't suit me.

However you dice it up, some people will prefer some ways of doing calculations over others.  I'm fine with this setup (just as long as we acknowledge realistic plat times), but I could go for a contest that only counts plats regardless of other factors, or as you described Turtle and just use 100 minus the plat rarity.  Either way, the contest is up to the person running it.  I had a good time with this one and cleared out a lot of games, including my borrowed backlog (physical discs I borrowed from friends that just sit next to my TV gathering dust, lol).  It's a nice way to begin the year, especially considering I might not get this many plats the remaining 11 months :P

If you or anyone else has suggestions for improvements, please post them. Also if anyone has things they didn't like, feel free to tell me about. I'm open for feedback.

1 minute ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If you or anyone else has suggestions for improvements, please post them. Also if anyone has things they didn't like, feel free to tell me about. I'm open for feedback.

I think I mentioned it before, but agreed recently with Turtle, each hour should be given equal weight at a .1x multiplier.  Therefore a 50 hour game would be weighted the same as 5 10 hour games.  Currently a 50 hour game is weighted the same as one 10 and one 5 hour game (assuming equal rarities), making longer games less appealing and ultimately detrimental to your final score.  This was the only part of it I could see as being less than fair.

It might be worthwhile to really take some time to flesh out the time multiplier too.  Figuring out ways to get better estimates, more realistic assumptions of time.  We've discussed this already in the thread much earlier in the competition, but it's worth revisiting for next year.  Some games have 1000s of votes in the PST time threads, so it's easy to figure out, but most trophy guides are written by one person and therefore highly subjective, and even when those time estimates on PST are used, they are taken at the time the guide is written and never updated.  Over time a clearer picture can be found when more votes come in.  Additionally, patches, nerfs, and other game updates can drastically change those time estimates.  There's a game I played recently where PEGI regions got an update that reduced 2 trophy requirements down to 20% of their orginal values, and they were the only grindy trophies.  This cut the plat time by 75%.  However this only applied to some regions.  Here in the US we never got this update, so it took me 4 times as long to platinum the game as it did for a friend in the UK.  I guess what I'm saying is if all of these factors were taken into consideration for each game and a time estimate established before the game was started, then it would help.  Maybe during the sign-up phase ask people to provide a list of potential games they will be playing during the contest and establish those times in advance?  It would be some work up-front, but less on the back-end, and people would know what they're getting into ahead of time.  That also might just be more trouble than it's worth.  It's really hard to say what would appease everyone.

With all that said, I really enjoyed this contest with the current setup.  There was definitely a strategy in how I picked my games because of it.

My results:

That should be a total of 498.53 points.

Sadly, there's no guide for Stikbold! on this site and all styles on howlongtobeat says 3 hours, so I had to apply 0.5. Normally, it should be 1 or 1.1. Anyway, it doesn't matter, as I wouldn't have made it into the top 3.

Edited by AvengedEvil