New Year's Contest 2018 - Winners Announced!

20 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

OK I will just plat stuff and let you tell me what  I earn :P

But I think someone needs to run an Old School Comp where it is just 15, 30, 90, 180 points for trophies and it is just most points win. I know some people bitch and moan that "people just plat easy games to win" and my response always is "if people want to spend money and time playing easy games to win a contest that has no monetized prize...then let them" (back in the day you just won a small bar to put under your Sig saying you won)

I prefer when rarity is included since I tend to dislike events that only requires Telltales games and such to win. 

With this event, you can choose how you want to play it : tons of easy plats or some rare ones and I like that :D 

2 hours ago, Myu said:

I prefer when rarity is included since I tend to dislike events that only requires Telltales games and such to win. 

With this event, you can choose how you want to play it : tons of easy plats or some rare ones and I like that :D 

And that is fair, but the way we used to do them required strategy as well. If an event was a round robin thing where every week the lowest score got kicked out then you had to plan how you platted your games.

You could load your first week up with every Disney and tell tale game you wanted but then by week 3 you have blown through all the easy plats and maybe someone else was saving up for that week. It made it really interesting because you didn't know what others were going to do so you had to plan out your own playing schedule. 

I remember in the event that Tamer did @JaM thought he had me beat so he rested a little...but then I pulled out the TT Jurassic park series at the last hour and inched past him :) Something I like to remind him about every now and then.

Added all participants up to this post.

11 hours ago, monkeydluffy512 said:

I would like to sing up for this. I'm not 100% on the math, so can I just list all the trophies popped and games finished when the event is over?

Sure, that's ok.

22 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

And that is fair, but the way we used to do them required strategy as well. If an event was a round robin thing where every week the lowest score got kicked out then you had to plan how you platted your games.

You could load your first week up with every Disney and tell tale game you wanted but then by week 3 you have blown through all the easy plats and maybe someone else was saving up for that week. It made it really interesting because you didn't know what others were going to do so you had to plan out your own playing schedule. 

I remember in the event that Tamer did @JaM thought he had me beat so he rested a little...but then I pulled out the TT Jurassic park series at the last hour and inched past him :) Something I like to remind him about every now and then.

Hmm, an elimination contest :hmm: *adds that to the list of ideas for the next NYC*

Lol, poor JaM :lol: .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Added all participants up to this post.

Sure, that's ok.

Hmm, an elimination contest :hmm: *adds that to the list of ideas for the next NYC*

Lol, poor JaM :lol: .

Heehee he didn't see it coming ^_^

The Team Elimination was always my favourite. Although it could be stressful as well. My first time doing it me and 2 of my partners were going hardcore with games like Megamind and Man vs Wild and whatever else we could get from Blockbuster (yes that was still around) or cheap off PSN...but then 1 guy decided he didn't want to ruin his game collection with "cheap" plats so he was only going to plat Quality games. He still did OK but his 5 plats vs our 15 plats kind of hurt our numbers against the other teams :( We took second but that guy really missed the idea of a point based Trophy Comp :P

Edited by Dr_Mayus

On 12/23/2017 at 8:18 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

I was afraid the new method might've been too confusing.

Madden's main trophy list has 1,140 points. Since it takes 8 hours to plat, the playtime multiplier stays 1. so it would yield (100 - 4.66) x 1 x (195/1,140) = 99.20 points.

As for unfinished games, those don't count as there would be no plat rarity or playtime multiplier, so the points from the trophy values would be worth less than 1 point.

Wait, wouldn't 100-4.66 = 95.34 and 195/1140 = ~.17?  Shouldn't this be 16.3 points?

Because if people are auto-popping dozens of plats at the start of this event for 100 points each, it's kinda impossible for everyone else to compete.

4 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Wait, wouldn't 100-4.66 = 95.34 and 195/1140 = ~.17?  Shouldn't this be 16.3 points?

Because if people are auto-popping dozens of plats at the start of this event for 100 points each, it's kinda impossible for everyone else to compete.

Oh yeah, you're right. Made a typo in the Excel sheet calculation :facepalm: . Thanks for pointing that out.

51 minutes ago, AvengedEvil said:

Would this mean that a game that takes ~10 hours but doesn't have a plat would be worth 1 point only? 1 x (315/315) = 1

Yeah, it would.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

right now I try to understand this part, and it's quite confusing.

For games without a platinum trophy the plat rarity part is removed from the formula. DLCs also count, the playtime is added to the playtime multiplier and the trophy points to the "points unlocked" numerator. Using the example above with 1,230 points: a DLC that takes 10 hours to complete and has 315 points will give the following score: (100-10) x 1.6 x (1,545/1,230) = 180,88 points.

First of all, without the rarity part there won't be points to multiply, I don't really understand how that will work for 100% games, they will always have only the time factor to earn points from and thats nothing...

But it is not the same with DLCs, right?

I mean, this example above is this the case when I completed the game AND its DLC?

Bc it Sounds like this was the DLC alone and thats a bit much. (maybe that a language thing...)

I wanted to complete my goat simulator DLCs which I got in the January sale, I already have the plat and one DLC done.

its 2h for every part: 2h for plat, 2h for each DLC, total 10h.

1230 points for plat, 195 points for each DLC, total 2010 points, but I can only get the 585 points left from the 3 DLCs.

Means

(100-33.19) x 1.1 x (585/1230) =  34.95... points???

or

(100-33.19) x 1.1 x (585/585) = 73.48? (this one is not correct, right?)

or is it the DLC only,  without rarity like 100% games, and a multiplayer of 0,5 for each DLC or of 1 for 6h of total 3 DLCs?

Bc it is still the same game.

1 x 1 is 1 fo 3 DLC together in 6h but

0.5 x 1 is 0.5 for 1 DLC, x3 DLCs is 1.5 points total... so it is a point of view thing?

that quite confusing, but I think it will be example No 1... hopefully. ( I will totally end up posting my games/trophies and my TRY of a calculations with lots of errors in it xD)

And 100% games will always have 1 point? bc I dont see a way to add points to them. You should add something to replace the rarity instead of only removing it bc

in 2h I can plat My name is mayo 2 times and would get 3.13 points (wow :D) out of it. (which is totally fair compared to real plats :D) an amount I could never reach by playing 30h of one 100% game, which has nothing to multiply at all.

You could add at least a few points per hour or something. not much but it will give some self-esteem to the poor little underrated games :)

I appreciate the work you put into the formular to make the whole thing a fair game!

On 12/21/2017 at 10:13 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

Here's how the score will be calculated: Total score = (100-plat rarity) x playtime multiplier x (points unlocked / total trophy list points for the main game).

For games without a platinum trophy the plat rarity part is removed from the formula. DLCs also count, the playtime is added to the playtime multiplier and the trophy points to the "points unlocked" numerator. Using the example above with 1,230 points: a DLC that takes 10 hours to complete and has 315 points will give the following score: (100-10) x 1.6 x (1,545/1,230) = 180,88 points.

The way i read this the games without a plat wouldn't be worth only 1 point. They would be (100-0) x playtime multiplier x (points unlocked / total trophy list points for the main game). They would actually be fairly beneficial to do if this was the case(although they would still get the .5 multiplier if they are short). 

If they are meant to be only 1 point then maybe this should be reworded or just say they are only worth 1 point.

1 hour ago, MrUnknown625 said:

The way i read this the games without a plat wouldn't be worth only 1 point. They would be (100-0) x playtime multiplier x (points unlocked / total trophy list points for the main game). They would actually be fairly beneficial to do if this was the case(although they would still get the .5 multiplier if they are short). 

If they are meant to be only 1 point then maybe this should be reworded or just say they are only worth 1 point.

Actually I meant they're only worth 1 point. But @Ai-ds_low makes a fair point, so I've come up with something else for games without a plat. I've run it by xZoneHunter and Mah2c, so to be continued.

2 hours ago, Ai-ds_low said:

right now I try to understand this part, and it's quite confusing.

First of all, without the rarity part there won't be points to multiply, I don't really understand how that will work for 100% games, they will always have only the time factor to earn points from and thats nothing...

But it is not the same with DLCs, right?

I mean, this example above is this the case when I completed the game AND its DLC?

Bc it Sounds like this was the DLC alone and thats a bit much. (maybe that a language thing...)

I wanted to complete my goat simulator DLCs which I got in the January sale, I already have the plat and one DLC done.

its 2h for every part: 2h for plat, 2h for each DLC, total 10h.

1230 points for plat, 195 points for each DLC, total 2010 points, but I can only get the 585 points left from the 3 DLCs.

Means

(100-33.19) x 1.1 x (585/1230) =  34.95... points???

or

(100-33.19) x 1.1 x (585/585) = 73.48? (this one is not correct, right?)

or is it the DLC only,  without rarity like 100% games, and a multiplayer of 0,5 for each DLC or of 1 for 6h of total 3 DLCs?

Bc it is still the same game.

1 x 1 is 1 fo 3 DLC together in 6h but

0.5 x 1 is 0.5 for 1 DLC, x3 DLCs is 1.5 points total... so it is a point of view thing?

that quite confusing, but I think it will be example No 1... hopefully. ( I will totally end up posting my games/trophies and my TRY of a calculations with lots of errors in it xD)

And 100% games will always have 1 point? bc I dont see a way to add points to them. You should add something to replace the rarity instead of only removing it bc

in 2h I can plat My name is mayo 2 times and would get 3.13 points (wow :D) out of it. (which is totally fair compared to real plats :D) an amount I could never reach by playing 30h of one 100% game, which has nothing to multiply at all.

You could add at least a few points per hour or something. not much but it will give some self-esteem to the poor little underrated games :)

I appreciate the work you put into the formular to make the whole thing a fair game!

If you only play DLCs after the contest has started, you only have the playtime multiplier and trophy values, so yeah, it would be 6 hours and 585, which makes it 1 x (585/1230). Since this isn't even 1 point, I'll just add a part about not receiving any points for completing DLCs without obtaining the plat (or obtaining a plat before the contest starts).

4 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Actually I meant they're only worth 1 point. But @Ai-ds_low makes a fair point, so I've come up with something else for games without a plat. I've run it by xZoneHunter and Mah2c, so to be continued.

If you only play DLCs after the contest has started, you only have the playtime multiplier and trophy values, so yeah, it would be 6 hours and 585, which makes it 1 x (585/1230). Since this isn't even 1 point, I'll just add a part about not receiving any points for completing DLCs without obtaining the plat (or obtaining a plat before the contest starts).

ok, it's good to know my math ability is still working xD

This is your contest so, decide what you like, but I think it's a shame to... kind of exclude DLCs like this.

in your example the DLCs is worth 45 points when earned together with a plat (180.88 is plat+dlc, the plat alone was around 135 points), and without the plat (bc like in my case the plat was there before) you probably had to spent almost the same amount of time on the dlc. It's not less work on that DLC. But to be fair,you could subtract some penaltypoints for completing the DLC without the plat...

whatever, I didn't intent to discuss this, important is that everyone has the same basic requirement from the beginning, including to be clear about the 1-point thing.

Now I understand everything, so thank you for explaining it again :)

6 hours ago, MrUnknown625 said:

maybe you should take a second look at the formular,

315/315 = 1,

315 points of 315 possible points makes 100% or =1.

so a 100% game or a DLC has no points to multiply them, bc plat games only multiply the rarity value.

If you only have the time (lets say 10h) it is 1.1 (time) X 1 (completed) which is still 1.1 in the end

Tbh I had to read it twice to even notice that the score of that games will be that low, my brain reacts to math like to the most ugly thing you can imagine :D It makes me turn around and walk away hopefully without attracting attention :D

ps.

I am not used to conversations about math in english, I hope I didn't embarrass myself but if I did I am happy I made someone laugh :P

Edited by Ai-ds_low

Added all participants up to this post. There are 45 46 so far, let's see if we can reach 50 participants.

20 hours ago, Ai-ds_low said:

ok, it's good to know my math ability is still working xD

This is your contest so, decide what you like, but I think it's a shame to... kind of exclude DLCs like this.

in your example the DLCs is worth 45 points when earned together with a plat (180.88 is plat+dlc, the plat alone was around 135 points), and without the plat (bc like in my case the plat was there before) you probably had to spent almost the same amount of time on the dlc. It's not less work on that DLC. But to be fair,you could subtract some penaltypoints for completing the DLC without the plat...

whatever, I didn't intent to discuss this, important is that everyone has the same basic requirement from the beginning, including to be clear about the 1-point thing.

Now I understand everything, so thank you for explaining it again :)

The previous 2 times DLCs and platless games were excluded, so I did my best to come up with something to include them. Who knows, I may find a good way to include DLCs next year while keeping things fair.

17 minutes ago, Denvirus said:

I'd love to join as well! Maybe I missed this in the rules, but how do you count games that are already almost done before January starts?

To calculate the score for games that have been started before the contest, I'll use the trophy values. Each trophy list has a set value, which is usually between 1,140 and 1,230 for games with plats (excluding DLC trophy values). Games without a plat are capped at 315. By dividing the values of the earned trophies with the total value of a list, you get the percentage of points earned during the contest. This percentage is multiplied with the rarity points and playtime multiplier to calculate the final score of a game.

3 minutes ago, Andrea said:

I'm in for this.

You just had to ninja me when I mentioned the amount of participants so far :facepalm: .

Edited by Dragon-Archon