New Year's Contest 2018 - Winners Announced!

16 minutes ago, Ai-ds_low said:

I feel you, but its still better than using the fastest achievers on psnp. and when there just is no guide to take a time from there is no better solution I guess...

yeah no doubt haha.Yeah I'm not saying its a bad website or anything,just in the case of Sniper ghost warrior the time given isn't a true reflection of the actually time to platinum.Although it really doesn't matter ,barely changes the multiplier anyway. ?

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Not exactly, this contest has always been about platting games. This year platless games are included too. You don't get points for every trophy. I hope this clears things up.

Yep, thanks. Don't think it will matter much for me in the end :P but I like to have things clear.

The All Styles time is used from HowLongToBeat.com, so it would be 2.5 hours.

Myu is correct, DLCs without a plat/100% completion don't count.

Yeah, currently you'd get 33.12 points from Nioh. Completing the Dragon of the North DLC (meaning earning every trophy) would increase it to 72.88 points. However, your calculation for doing just the DLC is off as you don't get points for completing DLCs without obtaining a plat/100% completion. Your score isn't increased with 19.83 points, but with 52.95 points.

If you don't want to complete the DLC you'll get 33.12 points, assuming you plat it. No plat/100% completion for platless games means no points.

Not exactly, this contest has always been about platting games. This year platless games are included too. You don't get points for every trophy. I hope this clears things up.

Congrats with the new job :yay: .

Please tell me you two aren't going to play the PS3 version, right? That one has lots of bugs and glitches. The servers are buggy too.

It is the PS4 version. I haven't got ps3 version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Please tell me you two aren't going to play the PS3 version, right? That one has lots of bugs and glitches. The servers are buggy too.

I got the plat in the PS3 version of Gat just fine last year.  Are these bugs and server issues new?

3 hours ago, ApriIis said:

Using the stat for all styles for that particular games is fine,but using all styles time for Sniper Ghost warrior 2 is crazy.It says it takes 5 and a half hours,which is true if you minus the online and the expert difficulty trophies.Even the quickest time on Psnprofiles is almost 3 times that standing at 14 hours and the times after that ranging from a day to two days.Although picking and choosing stats from different websites based on certain games is unreasonable  ,either way I won't make too much of a fuss,it is what it is.Won't really make or break me over a few points.Thanks for clearing that up . 1f604.png

In regards to the time multiplier, if PSNP doesn't have a guide AND PST.org doesn't have a guide, I can understand using another available resource, but I've been looking at the times listed on howlongtobeat and some of them are ridiculous.  There's a game I'm looking to play that's a lot like heavy rain where the main playthrough alone takes at least 5 hours to get through, and even if you set up each playthrough in advance to reduce the time between first and final trophy pops, it would still take a minimum of 5-10 hours to plat, WITH a guide/walkthrough and full knowledge of where everything is AND what you need to do to satisfy every trophy condition as you go, including a competitive playthrough mode with 2 players.  Every forum post about the game where someone who has plat estimates the time they say 5-10 hours or more with a step by step walkthrough.  To emphasize this, the fastest completion time in the world, according to PSNP, is over 5 hours, with most of the times on the fastest list at 10-24+ hours, yet howlongtobeat claims it only takes 2 hours for All Styles.  That's just insane!  There's no point playing a 10-20 hour game for this contest, that should be a 1.1 time multiplier, just to be given under 5 hour credit of only a .5 multiplier just because there's no proper guide on either of the main sites we use for guides.  I'm not surprised now that I've never heard of howlongtobeat, it's a really terrible resource imo.  I feel like a better alternative, if there's no common sense time multiplier available on PSNP or PST, would be to take the fastest and slowest of the top 50 times on PSNP and get the average.  For the game I mentioned above, that would average to 20 hours, which is a 1.2 multiplier.  If you think that's too generous, then take the 1st and 25th fastest times average, which in this case would be 13.5 hours, a solid 1.1 multiplier, and a much more fair estimate for this game.

Taking Aprillis' example, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 is listed at 5.5 hours on howlongtobeat, yet the fastest time in the world on PSNP is over 14 hours.  That's a glaring discrepancy that really shouldn't be ignored.  At the very least, take the higher of the 2 times (between howlongtobeat's All Styles and PSNP's fastest time).

I was already unsure about the time multiplier simply because of the strange round down rule (in math, you round up if above 5 and down if under 5, so 18 would round up to 20 for a 1.2 multiplier, but for this contest, 18 somehow rounds down to 10 for a 1.1 multiplier); my math brain keeps exploding everytime I see this..  But if howlongtobeat is the resource for any game without a guide here or on PST, I think I will just avoid those games for the sake of this contest.  I understand the changes this year were meant to make things more fair, but all they really did was greatly skew things in a new direction.  For example, easy plat/100% games that take 6-10 hours (1 or 1.1 multiplier), really hard games with lots of easy DLC where main game was mostly completed with only plat left and all DLC available, and lastly any easy game with simply lots of DLC in general.  For instance, why play a new game from the start with 5% rarity that takes 50 hours (which would yield just shy of 150 points), when in the same time you could play 5 100% games that take under 10 hours each and have rarities of 20-30%, which would yield 350-400 points?  Even with rarities of 50%, those 5 games would still earn 250 points, nearly double the longer, harder game.  There's absolutely no incentive to play longer games (unless they fall into one of the examples above), just like previous contests.  Now if you're just playing whatever you have in your backlog and aren't trying to be competitive, then it's no big deal, but most people have huge backlogs and can pick and choose what they play for a contest like this.  It's just a different strategy this year compared to previous years, but I really don't feel it's any more fair, just different.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I already have the plat in that one :) I did it for the first Plat Rain :D

Nope it is the PS4 version

I have to say I agree with the comments from @ApriIis and @Matto_lsi about using howlongdoesittake website, it doesn't really give a fair scope of how long it takes to get all the trophies within a game.  I looked at Night's of Azure 2 as I plan on making it my 100th platinum and there is no guide yet either here or on PST, the howlongdoesittake site states 17 hours under all styles but this is grossly inaccurate as it doesn't take into account that for a trophy perspective, the game would need to be completed twice through and there is a significant grind to get the platinum equalling around 40-45 hours.  I've done the math and using the howlongdoesittake time for the multiplier rather than the realistic trophy hunting time, I'd be losing out on around 17.73 points

The howlongdoesittake site just records a base point for how long the game would take to run through once, with no regard to trophies.  Case and point look at the Star Ocean: The Last Hope all styles time - it's recorded as 59.5 hours whereas I'm sure we all know how long the game takes from a trophy hunting perspective.  Compare that to something like Ark Survival Evolved, it lists the time for that as 69.5 hours whereas realistically, from a trophy point it can be platted in sub 10 hours.  I know my examples here are kind of moot point given they both have trophy guides, but I'm just using them as an example of how grossly inaccurate howlongdoesittake is from a trophy perspective.

Edited by Mesopithecus
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I have to say I agree with the comments from @ApriIis and @Matto_lsi about using howlongdoesittake website, it doesn't really give a fair scope of how long it takes to get all the trophies within a game.  I looked at Night's of Azure 2 as I plan on making it my 100th platinum and there is no guide yet either here or on PST, the howlongdoesittake site states 17 hours under all styles but this is grossly inaccurate as it doesn't take into account that for a trophy perspective, the game would need to be completed twice through and there is a significant grind to get the platinum equalling around 40-45 hours.  I've done the math and using the howlongdoesittake time for the multiplier rather than the realistic trophy hunting time, I'd be losing out on around 17.73 points

The howlongdoesittake site just records a base point for how long the game would take to run through once, with no regard to trophies.  Case and point look at the Star Ocean: The Last Hope all styles time - it's recorded as 59.5 hours whereas I'm sure we all know how long the game takes from a trophy hunting perspective.  Compare that to something like Ark Survival Evolved, it lists the time for that as 69.5 hours whereas realistically, from a trophy point it can be platted in sub 10 hours.  I know my examples here are kind of moot point given they both have trophy guides, but I'm just using them as an example of how grossly inaccurate howlongdoesittake is from a trophy perspective.

I think the stats on howlongtobeat are made by players and if the times are written in shades of red, it means that the stat is not reliable enough as there hasn't been enough people to share their gametime. Also, the platform used for Nights of Azure 2 on that website is the Switch so it's really really not accurate. Anyway, the stat taken into account should be the Completionist one, no? 

773190howlong.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myu said:

I think the stats on howlongtobeat are made by players and if the times are written in shades of red, it means that the stat is not reliable enough as there hasn't been enough people to share their gametime. Also, the platform used for Nights of Azure 2 on that website is the Switch so it's really really not accurate. Anyway, the stat taken into account should be the Completionist one, no? 

I'd agree with you here about using the completionist category instead.I'm not sure what all style actually covers,but it's clear it doesn't always take into consideration the trophies,which in a trophy based competition is pretty important.I think completionist would be more reflective of the true time to platinum as the completeionist time would take into consideration stuff like getting all collectibles,beating the game on the hardest difficulty/unlocking the hardest difficulty,getting so many kills with certain weapons and reaching a certain level, be it online or singleplayer.These tasks are associated with 100% in-game completion with most games,and is where the bulk of trophies are actually derived from.Just something for the competition runners to consider but of course ,if there's a specific reason why All styles was chosen instead of completionist I'd be happy to learn about it.

I think howlongtobeat.com is the last choice if there isn't a guide on PSNP or on PST.org.

I agree that the completionist rating makes more sense but it shouldn't be needed that much by comparison to the other sites.

@Dragon-Archon has the points system down and will be fair across the board.

I reckon just keep hunting the way you want and it will all shake out in the end.

Edited by Psy-Tychist

I can understand why people don't like how the All Styles time is used instead of the Completionist time. I wanted to use Completionist too, but not every game has that time on HowLongToBeat.com, that's why All Styles is used. Last year the fastest completion times were used, but then issues like speedruns, auto-popping with cross-saves, and cheaters with impossible completion times came up too. To avoid that headache this website was chosen as a last resort for when games have no guides. I'm willing to use the Main + Extra times, but that one also wouldn't be realistic. For example Dungeon Travelers 2 lists Main + Extra at 132 hours and All Styles at 74 hours, it doesn't have a Completionist time. @Myu said she expected to plat it in 76 hours (so how many hours did it take to plat the game in the end?).

Using the average of fastest and slowest completion times is also not a good alternative, as some of the longer games have times listed in weeks. Then there are games that have multiple trophy lists with each different times. For example the EU version of Dungeon Travelers 2 has a fastest time of 1 week and 3 days and a 50th time of 1 month and 3 weeks, while the NA version has a fastest time of 6 days and 5 hours and a 50th time of 1 month and 9 hours. Using the average would yield a multiplier that's far too high.

If someone has a better idea that doesn't involve headaches, please share. Also for Sniper Ghost Warrior 2: the guide estimates the time to plat between 6 and 20 hours. With that estimate I'm surprised the fastest time on PSNP is 14 hours.

18 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I already have the plat in that one :) I did it for the first Plat Rain :D

Nope it is the PS4 version

Ah ok.

21 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I got the plat in the PS3 version of Gat just fine last year.  Are these bugs and server issues new?

I had a lot of bugs and server issues when back in 2016.

21 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I understand the changes this year were meant to make things more fair, but all they really did was greatly skew things in a new direction.  For example, easy plat/100% games that take 6-10 hours (1 or 1.1 multiplier), really hard games with lots of easy DLC where main game was mostly completed with only plat left and all DLC available, and lastly any easy game with simply lots of DLC in general.  For instance, why play a new game from the start with 5% rarity that takes 50 hours (which would yield just shy of 150 points), when in the same time you could play 5 100% games that take under 10 hours each and have rarities of 20-30%, which would yield 350-400 points?  Even with rarities of 50%, those 5 games would still earn 250 points, nearly double the longer, harder game.  There's absolutely no incentive to play longer games (unless they fall into one of the examples above), just like previous contests.  Now if you're just playing whatever you have in your backlog and aren't trying to be competitive, then it's no big deal, but most people have huge backlogs and can pick and choose what they play for a contest like this.  It's just a different strategy this year compared to previous years, but I really don't feel it's any more fair, just different.

You raise a good point. 

Edited by Dragon-Archon

26 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If someone has a better idea that doesn't involve headaches, please share. Also for Sniper Ghost Warrior 2: the guide estimates the time to plat between 6 and 20 hours. With that estimate I'm surprised the fastest time on PSNP is 14 hours.

To be honest, the time multiplier is going to be a headache in general, especially since so many games have time ranges, and time in general (in terms of playing games) is completely subjective.  It's obvious for most games just by looking at the top 50 fastest times, which supposedly are the 50 people who tried to 100% the game as fast as they could, that times vary greatly.  I think it was lost in my last post cause I wrote so much (my bad), but I was basically saying that if PSNP and PST.org have no time estimate available, then common sense should be used, as opposed to sticking to just one arbitrary site.  It's possible howlongtobeat has accurate times for some games, but I haven't seen it yet on my own personal searches.  I personally think that the time averages on TT (truetrophies) are pretty accurate for most games.  Most games have dozens of player submitted times, and even ones that don't, still seen fairly accurate.  Maybe just for these games all the factors can be taken into account, PSNP fastest times, TT times, howlongtobeat times, and the most prominent pattern can yield the time used for the multiplier?

Honestly, I'm more or less unaffected by this, and don't plan to keep talking your ear off about it.  There was only 1 game I wanted to play that's affected, but the times on howlongtobeat are so ridiculous I'll just skip it and play it next month.  But I really do want this competition to be fair, and I'm trying to provide feedback more than anything else.  In the end, there's not that many games that won't have guides on either the 2 main sites, and it's up to you how you want to handle them.

EDIT: I just realized that every game listed on PST.org seems to have an 'Estimated Time to Platinum' forum thread where people vote.  So even if there isn't a guide, this thread should provide the information needed to get a time estimate (the guide would use this time anyway, so it's the same thing).  Every game we've been discussing without a guide has one of these forum threads with times submitted.

Edited by Matto_lsi

On 1/7/2018 at 10:18 PM, Mesopithecus said:

Obviously the scores are subject to change due to fluctuations in rarity, but thought I'd post how I'm currently doing.  Been binge playing some quick and easy games to help boost me toward my plat 100 goal, however this week should see me start to do some longer games with a lower rarity.

Dying Reborn = (100-77.24)*0.5*(1230/1230) = 11.38

Demetrios = (100-70.78)*0.5*(1200/1200) = 14.61

Psycho Pass = (100-27.49)*1.1*(1230/1230) = 79.76

Forma.8 = (100-13.31)*1*(1185/1185) = 86.69

Eventide 2 = (100-82.94)*0.5*(1185/1185) = 8.53

Batman = (100-67.24)*1*(1155/1155) = 32.76

Coffin Dodgers = (100-79.93)*0.5*(1185/1185) = 10.04

Total = 243.77

What's your plan for 100?

I've been working on Zestiria, and I just hope to finish it this month, but am only halfway through the game and taking my time.

Just now, Edunstar84 said:

What's your plan for 100?

I've been working on Zestiria, and I just hope to finish it this month, but am only halfway through the game and taking my time.

Currently thinking Nights of Azure 2.  I'm about half way through my first run on it so will have quite a bit to do, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I can understand why people don't like how the All Styles time is used instead of the Completionist time. I wanted to use Completionist too, but not every game has that time on HowLongToBeat.com, that's why All Styles is used. Last year the fastest completion times were used, but then issues like speedruns, auto-popping with cross-saves, and cheaters with impossible completion times came up too. To avoid that headache this website was chosen as a last resort for when games have no guides. I'm willing to use the Main + Extra times, but that one also wouldn't be realistic. For example Dungeon Travelers 2 lists Main + Extra at 132 hours and All Styles at 74 hours, it doesn't have a Completionist time. @Myu said she expected to plat it in 76 hours (so how many hours did it take to plat the game in the end?).

It took me 65 hours :D (I didn't expect to pop it that fast. Dungeon Travelers 2 has a lot of post game content that doesn't even need to be touched to get the plat, maybe that explains the time differences. I ended up going back and forth in one of the bonus dungeons to get to 20k kills instead of exploring). 

In the end, I don't mind which criteria is going to be retained since it's gonna be the same for everyone. Dragon-Archon is already going to have lots of headaches with calculating everything for everyone, especially with the games that have already been started before the beginning of the event. I'm in this event to see how many points I can get in one month. If the All Styles stat is not to your liking on howlongtobeat, you could avoid that particular game for the current month and play something else. :) 

Do as you wish Dragon-Archon, it's your event :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

EDIT: I just realized that every game listed on PST.org seems to have an 'Estimated Time to Platinum' forum thread where people vote.  So even if there isn't a guide, this thread should provide the information needed to get a time estimate (the guide would use this time anyway, so it's the same thing).  Every game we've been discussing without a guide has one of these forum threads with times submitted.

We have to be careful with that. I joined another big forum years ago and the 80k ppl there do exactly this, vote the time and difficulty.

lots of them lie to look like uber pro gamers, telling hard ass games were super easy, and fast when they played their asses off to make it that far. but its their right to vote so its not reliable at all.

oh and what I originally intended to say:

lets accept the rules like they are this year and give suggestions for next year, its not okay to change anything after we started. we agreed to this when we signed in after all... at least I did.

4 hours ago, Ai-ds_low said:

We have to be careful with that. I joined another big forum years ago and the 80k ppl there do exactly this, vote the time and difficulty.

lots of them lie to look like uber pro gamers, telling hard ass games were super easy, and fast when they played their asses off to make it that far. but its their right to vote so its not reliable at all.

I know what you mean, but in this case when someone makes a guide for a game on PST.org they're required to use the time estimates from that thread (whatever exists at the time the guide was made), so like I said, it'd be the same thing as we'd get if there was a guide.  PST is pretty good about establishing rules for voting on estimated time and in the end it's an average of all the times that people voted, so the bigger the sample size, the more realistic the estimate.

21 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I would like to be signed up for this please. Any extra motivation to get through my backlog is great.

Sorry, you're too late the contest has already started.

23 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I used this last year too for I Am Bread and that wasn't a success either -_- .

So, about 1/3 through the competition and I'm doing... decent?

Games cleared:

- Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space - Episode 1 = (100-56.11)*0.5*(315/315) = 21.945

- Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space - Episode 2 = (100-60.83)*0.5*(315/315) = 19.585

- Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space - Episode 3 = (100-68.17)*0.5*(315/315) = 15.915

- Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space - Episode 4 = (100-70.78)*0.5*(300/300) = 14.61

- Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space - Episode 5 = (100-72.96)*0.5*(285/285) = 13.52

- Trivial Pursuit = (100-36.41)*1*(1185/1200) = 62.795

- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean = (100-28.09)*1.1*(1110/1185) = 74.095

Total points: 222.465

While not as high as other competitors, i'm pretty happy with my current score. Goal for the whole competition will be a score of at least 500 points and hopefully a top 5 finish.

• Like 1

Platted Grim Fandango yesterday. I was really anxious about that tank controls trophy because I hit the left joystick once by mistake but everything went fine in the end. I enjoyed the story but the puzzles were not great. I had to read a guide to figure out what I was supposed to do a lot of the time. 

@Dragon-Archon Will you do a kind of recap in the middle of the month to see everyone's progress or do we wait for the big reveal at the end ? :D 

I finally have an update!

XBlaze Lost Memory (100-66.51)x.5(1215/1215) = 16.75

Faery (100-25.10)x1.1x(300/300) = 82.39

Submerged (100-25.10)x.5x(285/285) = 33.72

Batman TT (100-65.38)x1.1x(1155/1155) = 38.08

Puzzle Showdown (100-81.84)x.3(1170/1170) = 5.45

Lost Grimoires (100-86.54)x.5x(1170/1170) = 6.73

Deliriant (100-92.57)x.1x(300/300) = .74

Machinarium (100-60.98)x.3x(315/315) = 11.71

Life Is Strange (100-40.28)x1x(1155/1155) = 65.69

With the grand total of 261.26 (maybe)

I hit a gaming wall where I started Book of Unwritten Tales and I just stopped. I spent the rest of the day downloading custom content for the Sims 3 and playing that. I'll be going on a mini Sims break.

Edited by scarishbal
  • Like 2

On 21/12/2017 at 3:13 PM, Dragon-Archon said:

DLCs also count, but only if you obtain the plat too after the contest starts. The playtime is added to the playtime multiplier and the trophy points to the "points unlocked" numerator. Which means the trophy value modifier can increase the amount of points if you plat the game and complete one or more DLCs. Using the example above with 1,230 points: a DLC that takes 10 hours to complete and has 315 points will give the following score: (100-10) x 1.6 x (1,545/1,230) = 180.88 points.

Forgive me if you have already clarified this, but I am a little reluctant to sift through 8 pages of this thread :)

I'd like to shamelessly use Skyrim as an example since I'm actively working on this. Am I right in thinking the score would be calculated as follows, assuming a 100% completion from scratch:

(100 - 11.74) * 2.7 * 1680 / 1215 = 329.5

All figures have been attained from PSNP as follows (click the links for verification):

Skyrim: 125 hours | 1215 points | 11.74 Plat Rarity

Dawnguard DLC: 20 hours | 195 points

Hearthfire DLC: 15 hours |  75 points

Dragonborn DLC: 10 hours | 195 points

Total: 170 hours | 1680 points

If I've done the calculations properly then the rest of my spreadsheet should be ace. A little tip for anyone else using Excel to keep track, ROUNDDOWN is a great little formula to use when calculating the time multiplier since the organiser is using a very strange rounding mechanic (from a mathematics POV) e.g. =ROUNDDOWN((1+A1/100),1) where A1 is the guide time in hours, and you can nestle that into the rest of your formula. Only works for games that are 10 or more hours though, but I'm sure most of you legends won't be playing cheap & easy indies ;)

Edited by Zolkovo
Spacing

6 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Forgive me if you have already clarified this, but I am a little reluctant to sift through 8 pages of this thread :)

I'd like to shamelessly use Skyrim as an example since I'm actively working on this. Am I right in thinking the score would be calculated as follows, assuming a 100% completion from scratch:

(100-11.74)*2.7*1680/1215 = 329.5

All figures have been attained from PSNP as follows (click the links for verification):

Skyrim: 125 hours | 1215 points | 11.74 Plat Rarity

Dawnguard DLC: 20 hours | 195 points

Hearthfire DLC: 15 hours |  75 points

Dragonborn DLC: 10 hours | 195 points

Total: 170 hours | 1680 points

If I've done the calculations properly then the rest of my spreadsheet should be ace. A little tip for anyone else using Excel to keep track, ROUNDDOWN is a great little formula to use when calculating the time multiplier since the organiser is using a very strange rounding mechanic (from a mathematics POV) e.g. =ROUNDDOWN((1+A1/100),1) where A1 is the guide time in hours, and you can nestle that into the rest of your formula. Only works for games that are 10 or more hours though, but I'm sure most of you legends won't be playing cheap & easy indies ;)

Anyhow, I have my work cut out with MGR: Revengeance & MGS4 coming up, not to mention wrapping up Prototype and squeezing in a few easier games to cushion the punches 1f630.png

Yep, that's correct. Have fun with MGR Revengeance, I had a blast with it.

• Like 1