New Year's Contest 2018 - Winners Announced!

13 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:
Spoiler

Yep, that's correct. Have fun with MGR Revengeance, I had a blast with it.

Ah damn you're a speedy gonzalez; tried to edit that out to keep the mystery alive!

Edit: I forgot to thank you for the time and effort you've put into organising this. The only suggestion I'd make for next year is to perhaps put a cap on the number of open games allowed going into the New Year. Although everyone would be on a level playing field, I feel it kinda goes against the spirit of the competition and New Year.

Edited by Zolkovo

3 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Ah damn you're a speedy gonzalez; tried to edit that out to keep the mystery alive!

Edit: I forgot to thank you for the time and effort you've put into organising this. The only suggestion I'd make for next year is to perhaps put a cap on the number of open games allowed going into the New Year. Although everyone would be on a level playing field, I feel it kinda goes against the spirit of the competition and New Year.

Lol :lol: .

If people prepared games, they still only get points for the amount that's popped after the contest starts. However, if it turns out to be unfair, I'll consider it for the next contest.

5 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If you use exploits to level up quickly, you can probably cut that time in half.

@ApriIis Even less! The level grind was originally the most time consuming part, but there are so many exploits that don't even involve glitches e.g. Harmony spell. And then of course if you do the resto loop glitch you'll just run around smacking everything down in one hit. To quote someone else, it just becomes a loading screen simulator :)

I've had a really mixed experience with this game so far since I cannot even begin to count the number of game breaking bugs I've encountered that has either forced me to revert to a much older save or reboot the game entirely. In the Dawnguard DLC alone I lost about 3 hours to NPC's not instigating scripted events. Thankfully the internet is rife with solutions for all these bugs for such a popular game but it usually comes at a price. It really mars the experience of a game that clearly has so much potential. Also on the PS3 the frame rate is bloody unplayable at times, especially with all the DLC installed and heading into late game.

If you do pick it up, I'd recommend the remastered PS4 version and use as many save slots as you can.. trust me!

6 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If people prepared games, they still only get points for the amount that's popped after the contest starts. However, if it turns out to be unfair, I'll consider it for the next contest.

No, no you're right; I think it's a clever formula you've concocted. I meant it just feels like it goes against the essence of the New Year spirit. Probably just me though!

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

Finally got the plat for Alone with You. The game crashed at least two to three times in each playthrough (and you need five of those...). Discovering the game was interesting, the subsequent playthroughs were not. I'm glad it's over :) 

On 1/8/2018 at 1:28 PM, wolverine123 said:

First update. Finished PES 2014 and HiQ Ace. Already had 1 bronze on PES. Puts me on about 120 points so far I think.

Since last post ive platted 36 fragments of midnight, briks 2, squareboy vs bullies & energy invasion. Everything except briks 2 on .5 multiplier. Briks 2 has no trophy guide and isnt on howlongtobeat that i could find. Id say 10 hours is reasonable though so it should be x1, i really dont mind if you want to use my time of 3 days 14 hours. Gives me roughly 190 points total so far.

Edited by wolverine123

On 14-1-2018 at 7:29 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

Should we report our trophies as we go or only in the end of the month? (I still hope to not get last place..).

No, you don't need to do regular updates if you don't want to. Though an update at the end would be appreciated as it reduces my work.

16 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

No, you don't need to do regular updates if you don't want to. Though an update at the end would be appreciated as it reduces my work.

Ok, I will do it later.

Still I don't think that I will get any note worthy plat this month.. not enought time to plat Tales of Zestiria, and I doubt that I will have time to plat Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- or Dragon Ball Z battle of the Z.. maybe I should go see what I'm missing in LittleBigPlanet Karting.. other then that,I should at least get 1 or 2 more easy plats (Steins;Gate0 and Psycho-Pass, if I don't take a month to finish Steins;Gate0...).

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

Some updated 100% completed games so far:

Guacamelee (PS3)63.75 = (100-16.07) x 1.2 x (750 / 1185) - DLC included.

XBlaze: Lost Memories: 33.55  = (100-66.45) x 1 x (1215 / 1215)

Root Letter (Vita EU): 44.66 = (100-55.34) x 1 x (1170 / 1170)

Total Score: 115.56 + 141.96 = 257.52

Based on some scores on here, this might get me to mid-table...

Just over half way progress update (rarity subject to change):

Spoiler

SiE9taM.png

I'll probably take the foot off the gas for the latter half of the competition. Feeling slightly burnt out after being bottle-necked by loading screens, frequent freezes, unplayable frame-rates and game breaking bugs for half of Skyrim. At one point I was getting really concerned my beloved old console was giving in, but those points make it all worth it!

The rest of the month will all be ultra rare plats :) 

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

@Dragon-Archon Your first post says 'If a game can be completed within 5 hours" the multiplier is reduced to .5.  Does that mean that the avg time to completion/plat has to be under 5 hours, or does this include 5 hours.  For instance, a game stated as a hard 5 hours, with no range, or a game with a range given, such as 4-6 hours would average to 5 hours.  Is this a .5 or 1 multiplier?  Or is it 0-4.99 hours = .5, 5-9.99 = 1, 10-19.99 = 1.1, etc?  I ask cause I've run into a couple games that are exactly 5 hours to plat, but if that's only .5, I can get a better return on a 10 hour game.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

@Dragon-Archon Your first post says 'If a game can be completed within 5 hours" the multiplier is reduced to .5.  Does that mean that the avg time to completion/plat has to be under 5 hours, or does this include 5 hours.  For instance, a game stated as a hard 5 hours, with no range, or a game with a range given, such as 4-6 hours would average to 5 hours.  Is this a .5 or 1 multiplier?  Or is it 0-4.99 hours = .5, 5-9.99 = 1, 10-19.99 = 1.1, etc?  I ask cause I've run into a couple games that are exactly 5 hours to plat, but if that's only .5, I can get a better return on a 10 hour game.  Thanks!

If a game takes 5 hours or less, the playtime multiplier is 0.5. When a range is given, an average is used to calculate the playtime. So the multipliers are:

• 5 hours or less: 0.5
  • More than 5, but less than 10: 1
  • 10 or more, but less than 20: 1.1
  • 21 or more, but less than 30: 1.2
  • etc.

18 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

If a game takes 5 hours or less, the playtime multiplier is 0.5. When a range is given, an average is used to calculate the playtime. So the multipliers are:

• 5 hours or less: 0.5
  • More than 5, but less than 10: 1
  • 10 or more, but less than 20: 1.1
  • 21 or more, but less than 30: 1.2
  • etc.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  It makes it easier to pick and choose knowing these specifics :)

@Dragon-Archon Wow, you were right about MGR:R; hands down the best game I've ever played. The game-play and the music score were a marriage made in heaven, made some of the more difficult fights so much more bearable. In fact, the only thing I found frustrating were chopping those god damn left arms, and a couple of VR missions. Not sure how difficult the DLCs are compared to the vanilla game but if I can somehow keep myself awake for the next 9 hours, I might be able to get in the top 3 fastest achievers :) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

@Dragon-Archon Wow, you were right about MGR:R; hands down the best game I've ever played. The game-play and the music score were a marriage made in heaven, made some of the more difficult fights so much more bearable. In fact, the only thing I found frustrating were chopping those god damn left arms, and a couple of VR missions. Not sure how difficult the DLCs are compared to the vanilla game but if I can somehow keep myself awake for the next 9 hours, I might be able to get in the top 3 fastest achievers :) 

At the rate you're going  I'd say that's not the only top 3 you'll be in by the end of the month .?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Yep, the soundtrack is incredible and slicing and dicing enemies never got old :awesome: . Some of those VR missions were annoying to complete with a gold medal, but overall the plat was enjoyable to get. Haven't played the DLC since those are way too overpriced and never go on sale in EU, but I'd like to try out the story DLC at some point. Good luck with making it into the top 3 fastest achievers.

This one is my favourite OST in the game:

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

As the PS3 Version of DC Universe Online won`t download( which don`t matter as it won`t give me more points anyway and I already have a game I can`t plat so one more game for ``can`t plat due to online`` can`t hurt) so Let`s see if I can get Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Xillia and Trillion: God of Destruction plats before Dragon Ball FighterZ comes out and before this contest is over :awesome:

@Leon Castle You have the PS4 version, so I wouldn't bother to download the PS3 version. If the developers didn't add all of that damn DLC to the games to make it look like a ripoff of Sound Shapes but in MMO form, then nobody would have a problem with getting the platinum.

EDIT: just took a second look at your trophy list. Damn I hope  things work out for you before the end of the month. I will be rooting for you :D.

Edited by GarciaFever
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

@Dragon-Archon Edge case question; PSN games without platinum trophies but with DLC content. Are they scored the same way as platinum games or do they need 100% completion to count?

It seems that for platless games with DLC the checkmark isn't awarded until all the DLCs are completed too.

Got the 100% for Papers Please on Vita yesterday. I had a lot of trouble with the controls and the lack of space on the screen. The PC version is definitely better.

I also started A King's Tale : FFXV and I feel like it's not gonna be as easy as the trophy guide made it appear to be.