Playstation Plus 2017 - Thoughts?

xEl_Cidx

Despite the free games being the most advertised part of Playstation Plus, I find the cloud save backups to be what I truly give the money for. It's been a lifesaver more than once for myself, personally.

With that said, the games themselves this year haven't been too terrible and I find this year to be similar to last year in terms of quality and variety. The inclusion of free PSVR games has been a welcome addition.

A really mixed bag this year! There were a few months that nothing really interested me much at all and then nice surprises. 

The game highlights for me have been 

This war of mine the little ones

Not a hero

Amnesia collection 

Infamous second son

Until dawn

Starwahl 

Neon chrome

And I've still got tonnes to even start like Just cause 3

Metal gear 

Wasn't a bad year at all for me

My PS+ is going to last until May 2019 because last year I got 15 months on sale. But what I have to say is that a game basically becomes worthless when it has been on PS+, because once it's been on PS+ the game basically won't be selling retail again, since most people would have got it through PS+. Then there's the fact that 90% of the games were games that weren't really being sold much and belong to an indie studio that needed the PS+ push. I mean, a game like Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends isn't exactly a high quality game. PS+ began to decline when Sony came up with the bright idea of making it mandatory to have it to play online on PS4. I still believe Microsoft treats their fans with a better service with Xbox Live compared to Sony with PS+. On Microsoft, you pay for server security with Xbox Live, but Sony still makes billions from PS+ and shuts down their own games on PS4. 

• Like 1

I played 1 plus game all year - Alienation. I'll never unsub though, I could never walk away from my enormous plus library. I'll get round to playing some more eventually

Edit - actually it's 2 as I "played" hatoful boyfriend as well. I played 7 games from previous years though

Edited by Cleggworth

In terms of value - we should probably add the total of money saved through the PS+ specific price drops to that 1,287 dollar saving amount across the year.

It's not just about how many games you get free or what they are worth. It's also about the other stuff that you get for the sub too.

Playstation Plus is a product. The money you pay covers three things - Online, A free game program & exclusive membership discounts.

12 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

In terms of value - we should probably add the total of money saved through the PS+ specific price drops to that 1,287 dollar saving amount across the year.

It's not just about how many games you get free or what they are worth. It's also about the other stuff that you get for the sub too.

Playstation Plus is a product. The money you pay covers three things - Online, A free game program & exclusive membership discounts.

Couldn't say it better myself :)

For me the games chosen this year weren't great... Yes i played some of them (Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, Life is Strange, Truck Racer, Day of the Tentacle, Alienation) but besides Alienation and Day of the Tentacle because i liked those and played them a 2nd time for the trophy record...

But the money saved when buying games digital makes probably more benefit than that... just Deus Ex Mankind Divided Digital Deluxe for 20€ instead of 100€ is a great deal :D ...

Furthermore i copied my savegames lots of times to the cloud and was grateful for the automatic upload function too...

• Like 1

lol this article by polygon again, the author just conveniently ignore a lot of great games like This War of Mine, ABZU, Until Dawn and throw around reason like "never heard of them", "only prefer big mainstream titles"

For me I was focusing on clearing my backlog and previous years's PS+ game so this year's PS+ I only played:

• Disc Jam
  • Severed
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  • Killing Floor 2
  • Until Dawn

kinda sucks that I already owned inFAMOUS: Second Son and MGSV long ago but they are still  good games
I also had a great time with my brother playing Until Dawn and other co-op games thanks to PS+ so I would say it worths my $40.

Despite some clear duds, they gave away some great games this year. I'll be continuing my subscription for 2018.

The ones I thought were good for the year:

Day of the Tentacle Remastered (Jan)

Under Night In:Birth Exe Late (March)

Tales from the Borderlands (May)

Abzu (May)

Port Royale 3 (May)

Killing Floor 2 (June)

Life Is Strange (June)

Until Dawn (July)

Game of Thrones (July)

Tokyo Jungle (July)

Just Cause 3 (August)

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry (August)

inFamous Second Sun (September)

Hatoful Boyfriend (September)

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (October)

Amnesia Collection (October)

Darksiders II (December)

Syberia 1 & 2 (December)

• Like 2

Oh goodie, that article was nothing but baby bawling. -shudder-

To be honest, I'm paying more for cloud storage and discounts these days. PS Plus games are mostly the way to collect some indies I would otherwise not heard about or bothered to buy, with PS4 titles thrown into the "for the future" pile. Most of the selection sails past me simply because I'm stuck in the last gen, but eh. Those games aren't going anywhere.

Edited by NetEntity

I saved so much Money, its incredible. All Games this year for free:

• Just Cause 3
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • GoT Season 1
  • Until Dawn
  • MSGV: Phantom Pain
  • Life is Strange

Then I purchased so many great games for a bargain, here a few:

• Prey for 25€ (45€ saved at that time)
  • Sniper Elite 4: Deluxe Edition for 40€ (50€ or 60€ saved)
  • Journey, Uncharted 1-4, Last of Us R., Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne GOTY, The Last Guardian, God of War 3 R. (8 Games total) for 130€!
  • Alien: Isolation for 12€

I could go on. Sure, some games are older, but still without PS Plus I would have paid way more.

Edited by Mori-101
  • Like 1

For me, i didn't get a huge amount out of the free games. But I'm actually pretty sure that i've hundreds euros saved just in the discount purchases i've made over the year. So while I didn't get much awesomeness out of the free games, i've saved so much just through the PS+ Exclusive discounts.

Either way - a yearly sub works out to about 4 euros a month for the year. All I need to do is buy one less coffee a month and i'm sorted.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Another great year from PS+, can't even think of one thing to complain about. My top 10 in no particular order:

- Until Dawn

- Tearaway Unfolded

- Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

- Infamous: Second Son

- Broken Sword 5: The Serpent Curse

- XBlaze Lost: Memories

- LittleBigPlanet

- Truck Racer

- Darksiders 2

- Severed

There were five games I downloaded and played and six games I already played that I would have downloaded. 

5 out of 72 is bad. 

11 out of 72 is bad. 

The monetary value assigned to this is ridiculous because people can wait for a sale. A three to five year old game ain't worth whatever they sell it for on the PSN Store regularly. 

But, on the flip side, discounts aren't accounted for, and that's become my primary reason for bothering to stay a member. 

Any of the other stuff Sony put behind the paywall of Plus, like online, full Shareplay, and stuff like that, doesn't count. 

Edited by yowzagabowza