The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

the-reef-movie-cover-14055.jpg

The Reef tells the story of a group of friends who were forced into the water after their boat capsized in rough seas on the Great Barrier Reef.

Kate, played by Zoe Naylor, her brother Matt (Gyton Grantley) and his girlfriend, Suzie (Adrienne Pickering), meet Kate's ex-boyfriend Luke (Damian Walshe-Howling) and his friend Warren (Kieran Darcy-Smith), who deliver boats for a living.

En route to Indonesia, their vessel flips in rough seas and the group must decide whether to stay on the upturned hull or swim to a nearby island.

Four friends set off for the island, leaving one of the group clinging to the hull, but they soon realise they are being stalked by a huge shark.

6/10

andromeda-strain.jpg

The Andromeda Strain - 1971

When I first saw The Andromeda Strain it instantly became one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies of all time and remains so to this day. Not only does this movie pull the viewer in, it keeps you there until the final climatic end of this well thought out and thrilling roller coaster ride of film excellence.

A satellite lands in the small town of Piedmont, New Mexico with a stowaway on board: an alien microorganism that is capable of killing humans by clotting their blood with a rapidity that literally drops them in their tracks.

As scientists enter the town to recover the satellite, they find the entire population has succumbed to whatever has hitched a ride from space aboard the satellite, with the exception of an old man and a baby. It is a race against time as the satellite and the two survivors are taken to an underground research laboratory to find out just what has caused the deaths in Piedmont and how to prevent this “Doomsday” virus from decimating the entire human population. Does the secret to survival have anything to do with the old man and the infant?

Not only is The Andromeda Strain an excellent Sci-Fi, it is also very scientifically accurate for its time. It also serves as a warning to mankind about our arrogance and self-proclaimed superiority when we venture too far away from our comfort zone of earth and venture into the vastness of space.

The movie touched a nerve with audiences by the thought of a virus destroying the human race. After all, in 5 short years 25 million people died from the Bubonic plague as it swept through Europe. In recent decades Ebola, Marburg, Hanta, and HIV has once again shown just how vulnerable we are to these miniscule viruses. It is for this reason, I believe, that The Andromeda Strain still touches a nerve with those who watch it.

The pace starts somewhat slow, but does increase with intensity as the well-developed characters and story (written by Michael Crichton) unfolds. For a Sci-Fi that has very little in the way of special effects, the story is conveyed excellently by director Robert Wise and an excellent cast that delivers a top-notch performance.

9.5/10

dead%20end%20poster%202.jpg

For the past 20 years, Frank Harrington has grudgingly driven his family to celebrate Christmas with his mother-in-law. This year, he takes a shortcut. It's the biggest mistake of his life: The nightmare begins. A mysterious woman in white wanders through the forest, leaving death in her wake. A terrifying black car - its driver invisible - carries the victims into the heart of the night. Every road sign points to a destination they never reach. The survivors succumb to panic, to madness; deeply buried secrets burst to the surface, and Christmas turns into a living hell.

I Watched this again the other night, which must make at least 5 times I have seen this movie, and really enjoy it. It has a very Twilight Zone feel to it. The acting is exceptionally good, and the premise is..well...just unique to say the least. Infused with some very comedic lines, Dead End is one of those movies that will keep your eyes glued front and forward from start to finish.

If you like creepy movies and a few laughs sprinkled throughout, I would suggest giving this one a watch.

That was followed up by:

PWAR_D113241D.jpg

A must-see every Christmas!!!!!