The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

I got The Hangover 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides for Christmas and watched them both that day. They were ok. Nothing special.

A couple of days earlier I watched The Mechanic, the remake of the Charles Bronson movie with Jason Statham playing Bronson's role, and it turned out to be pretty good.

Falling down

falling-down.jpg

Miracle on the 34th Street

cover_image_364096.jpg

ThanksKilling+DVD.jpg

The biggest b-rate piece of tripe I've ever had the misfortune of laying my eyes on... but it made me laugh, in a "why am I watching this" kind of way.

Looks like the kind of movies me and my friends used to go to just to laugh at them.

Edited by Nagflar
  • Like 1

Rise-Of-The-Planet-Of-The-Apes-2011-Front-Cover-56901.jpg

I got this as a Christmas present from my daughter.

As a HUGE fan of the original Planet of the Apes series of movies, I really wasn't expecting too much from this one. Surprisingly though, this is not a bad movie at all. It isn't going to win any Oscars or make too many "Best of" lists, but overall I enjoyed it and it offered something just a little different.

For fans of the original series of movies, there are a lot of hidden references in this movie as it pertains to the originals, especially the first in the series: Planet of the Apes.

Good late-night/rainy day movie.

7/10

Conan the Barbarian. That last one. For people who don't know anything about Conan, it was probably pretty cool, or at least, a good generic hero guy with a sword movie.

But that's my problem. First of all, Conan isn't a hero. I'm a big fan of the novels and comics, and he's an anti hero. Also, this movie seems to have been made solely for the visual wow factor, as well as random blood spurts that constitute as violence. Meh.

I was actually impressed that the movie eye winked a lot of the original Conan mythos, by including known locales and slavery. But I was pissed that Crom was just swearing, and not Conan's reason to live. Instead, he was born on a battlefield. Wow, that's deep.

I realize the 1982 movie dumbed down the character a lot, but at least it made an effort to have some Conan the Philosopher bits in it. I guess this one kinda did, at times. They call my people barbarians, but at least we do not sell our children. That's not exactly how he said it, but that is to be commanded, as a reference by some dude on the team who has some of the comics. However, I love, I slay, and I am content.

Fine. But Conan is very wise, cool headed and, actually, a caring person. Even though, in the original novel, he raped a demi goddess at the age of 15. I suppose that him taking out cannibals at the age of nine would make a nerdy fan forget that.

No.

It's awesome for what it is, but it ain't Conan. Not to me.

I have no problem with the actor. He's quite a piece, and plays his role with admiration. I think. But Conan is a seven foot tall freak with bronze coloured skin, and hair down to his ass. And what the hell, no Valeria? Just some random monastery chick who, for some reason, knows how to fight? No way.

The movie isn't bad. It's a lot of fun, for what it is. (minus the villain, as far as necromancy goes, I really don't see why they couldn't AT LEAST have named him Thoth Amon) But it's just really flashy, uninspired, and this Norwegian finds it sad that people who obviously have much knowledge on the Conan mythos really didn't do anything with it.

The absence of axes in this movie also really sucks. Claymores? Conan didn't use that.

• Like 1

Blade Runner 11/10

A classic movie that somewhat opened my eyes to how precious life is. When you see someone like the Replicants infiltrating Tyrell and asking their creator how long they have to live and how they can live longer is kinda shocking... almost like a sick person hanging on to life. We kinda take life for granted by just going about our days and expecting to live up into our 60's or 80's. The Replicants were made with a 4 year lifespan as a failsafe. Replicants like Leon and Roy aggressively seek their creators for more life while asking when they were 'born' and how long they have to live. 4 years might seem like a long time when waiting for something like a new game from a series you love, but for a lifetime, it's really damn short. People say watching Inception again made more sense the second time around and I feel the same way about Blade Runner. "Give me more life, fucker."

• Like 2

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Movie_poster_who_framed_roger_rabbit.jpg

A pretty strange trip through memory lane but a stop regardless, watching this again as an adult/man-child I now see how vulgar this movie is, but as a child all I really noticed was cartoons and people.

Good movie and Bob Hoskins + Christopher Lloyd were what really sold me on this film, and the Director of Animation Richard Williams, thanks for the survival guide. ^_^

9/10

• Like 1

quiet.jpg

A scientist wakes up one morning to discover the world is strangely silent - everyone has disappeared, thanks to a botched atomic experiment that has rendered the fabric of the galaxy unstable. At first he has fun doing anything he wants to but gradually isolation take hold. Then he discovers he is not alone - two more emerge to join him. New Zealand's first, and best, contribution to the sci-fi genre. The 36 minute solo beginning performance by Bruno Lawrence is unequaled in film history.

8.5/10

To Wong Foo, Thanks for everything! Julie Newmar

Towongfoo.jpg

Blade, Luigi, and Johnny Castle in Drag road trip to Hollywood from New York to compete in the National Drag Queen contest.

I would say it isn't for children since they might be confused about why those men are in dresses. :unsure:

Hilarious in every way, and not because it is about men in drag.

9.5/10

• Like 1