The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Image result for christmas eve movie

I'm not usually one for comfy holiday movies, but with a cast like this I thought it couldn't hurt to watch it. & it is actually a funny, well written & acted movie. I was into it from the ¡Happy Birthday Guadalupe! by The Killers opening with the Deus ex machina reference. 

MV5BMDljNTQ5ODItZmQwMy00M2ExLTljOTQtZTVj

Don't have much more to say other than that I had a good time. I don't have nearly the same reverence for Star Wars as I did when I was a kid, so I just enjoy the franchise for what it is nowadays.

It's not worth picking apart every moment the sequels get that Star Wars feeling wrong; they got it right more often than not in this one, anyways. The flaws inherent in the sequels are found all over modern action cinema, be they Star Wars, Marvel, or nostalgia bait reboots (the only three kinds of movies that exist anymore). People looking for conspiracies are fooling themselves. Overhyped if passable mediocrity is the new high water mark, one TROS does an admirable enough job of surpassing. Even I am not immune to some of its more well-earned callbacks.

Like Last Jedi before it, it at least has the guts to try something new that may make the more sanctimonious of devotees scoff. On the whole, the Sequel Trilogy has an admirable kind of subversive bravery that seems all but extinct in its field, and is bound to anger those seeking just another nostalgic reaffirmation of the same old stuff. Our own world has grown stagnant by our clinging to the safety of the past instead of shaping a new if uncertain future, and it'll require the synergy of all regardless of station, race, or creed to do so. In being our particular brand of carbon-based lifeform, we all share infinitely more than could ever divide us.

Anyways, this has turned into a semi-drunken incoherent mess, but suffice to say there are plenty of people better suited to grading the quality of the minutiae of this film than I. I had a good time, and objectively that is a Good Thing. And those are worth holding on to.

Edited by AK-1138
Just pre-empting any inevitable replies pointing out the irony of my first sentence, there...

OK, I swear this has been an accident...but over the last couple months I have begun to notice a pattern in my movies.

I watched Toy Story with my nieces and I remembered that the guy who played the head toy soldier used to be a real drill sergeant and decided "I should rewatch Full Metal Jacket as he was awesome in the first half of that movie."

After watching Full Metal Jacket I wanted to rewatch the 1st episode of Band of Brothers as it is an hour of the army training and it compares to Full Metal Jackets' opening. I haven't watched Band of Brothers in a long time so I decided to watch the whole series.

In Band of Brothers there is the great episode where they are freezing around Christmas time. I thought "you know what is a great Christmas episode...the episode of MASH where Charles delivers the chocolate to the orphanage and Hawk/BJ/Hot Lips try to keep the soldier from dying on Christmas" so I popped in my MASH dvd and watch a few episodes of MASH.

I then was at a flea market last week and bought some movies. I have never seen the Great Escape so I put that in and it was a fantastic movie.

Today though I realized that every movie/show I have been watching lately has been a War film and thought " OK, let's watch a Christmas movie today"..and without thinking I decided to watch a Christmas film I hadn't seen in a long time...Joyeux Noel...WHICH IS ABOUT CHRISTMAS DURING THE WW1 TRUCE.

Anyways, Joyeux Noel is an amazing movie and you should all check it out this holiday season

Also I have now covered WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam...maybe I should pop in HBO's Generation Kill to kind of round it all out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

OK, I swear this has been an accident...but over the last couple months I have begun to notice a pattern in my movies.

I watched Toy Story with my nieces and I remembered that the guy who played the head toy soldier used to be a real drill sergeant and decided "I should rewatch Full Metal Jacket as he was awesome in the first half of that movie."

After watching Full Metal Jacket I wanted to rewatch the 1st episode of Band of Brothers as it is an hour of the army training and it compares to Full Metal Jackets' opening. I haven't watched Band of Brothers in a long time so I decided to watch the whole series.

In Band of Brothers there is the great episode where they are freezing around Christmas time. I thought "you know what is a great Christmas episode...the episode of MASH where Charles delivers the chocolate to the orphanage and Hawk/BJ/Hot Lips try to keep the soldier from dying on Christmas" so I popped in my MASH dvd and watch a few episodes of MASH.

I then was at a flea market last week and bought some movies. I have never seen the Great Escape so I put that in and it was a fantastic movie.

Today though I realized that every movie/show I have been watching lately has been a War film and thought " OK, let's watch a Christmas movie today"..and without thinking I decided to watch a Christmas film I hadn't seen in a long time...Joyeux Noel...WHICH IS ABOUT CHRISTMAS DURING THE WW1 TRUCE.

Anyways, Joyeux Noel is an amazing movie and you should all check it out this holiday season

Also I have now covered WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam...maybe I should pop in HBO's Generation Kill to kind of round it all out.

Don't forget North and South (1985, 1986 and 1994), Gettysburg (1993) and Gods and Generals (2003) for the U.S. Civil War, The Buccaneer (1958) for the War of 1812, The Patriot (2000) for the Revolutionary War (feel free to throw in the two National Treasure movies too) and The Last of the Mohicans (1992) for the French and Indian War. BTW, if you really want to watch a good Vietnam movie, try We Were Soldiers (2002).

...and you are not alone. I find myself watching movies in bunches too, usually with some relatively vague six degrees of separation with a minor actor from movie "A" is in movie "B" then writer for movie "B" is a producer for movie "C"...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Don't forget North and South (1985, 1986 and 1994), Gettysburg (1993) and Gods and Generals (2003) for the U.S. Civil War, The Buccaneer (1958) for the War of 1812, The Patriot (2000) for the Revolutionary War (feel free to throw in the two National Treasure movies too) and The Last of the Mohicans (1992) for the French and Indian War. BTW, if you really want to watch a good Vietnam movie, try We Were Soldiers (2002).

...and you are not alone. I find myself watching movies in bunches too, usually with some relatively vague six degrees of separation with a minor actor from movie "A" is in movie "B" then writer for movie "B" is a producer for movie "C"...

Well I got Barry Lyndon coming from the States for Christmas (my brother-in-law's mom lets me ship stuff to her if the shipping is too high to Canada) so I will begin my Kubrick marathon :)

As for more war films, I could always rewatch the good the bad and the ugly

Went to watch Rise of Skywalker with my father last night, honestly not as bad as the reviews say.

Few issues I had like the constant back and forth scenes felt a little excessive but still not too bad, does feel like the movie should've been split into a part 1 and part 2 like Infinity War and Endgame was. (Yes I know.. I just compared Star Wars and Marvel to each other)

I'd say it's definitely better than Last Jedi in my opinion though and definitely worth the watch