The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

I was at my brother's place yesterday and watched (or tried to watch) 2 films with his family.

The first was the amazing Joker. I was a little worried about this film before I watched it as the trailer was great but the director was behind Road Trip, Old School, Hangover...you know...films that really reflect the dark tone of the Joker. Anyways, this movie was fantastic and we had good discussions on what was real and what was in the Joker's head.

il_570xN.2037872822_eejy.jpg

So...then my brother asked if we would want to end the night with a different Joker film. He has been watching the DC animated films and came across a trailer for Batman Ninja and the trailer looks pretty badass.

We got halfway through the film and shut it off as it was a cluster fuck of nonsense and horrible pacing. Seriously this was just a mess of a film and I was so lost by the time Batman, the 4 robins and the Bat Ninja clan destroyed Emperor Joker's boat with the help of Gorilla Grodd and Catwoman who then defected from the Bat Ninjas to join an allegiance with Two Face.

Then we had Bane as a Sumo wrestler and Alfred was able to get the batmobile working in feudal Japan but within 5 minutes it went from the batmobile, to batplane, to batcycle to bat armour because Joker was able to turn a castle into a 200 foot robot who kept destroying it more and more...and everything I describe so far was in the first 20 minutes of the film.

Yeah, we had a time travel situation which led to all the major villains taking over different provinces of Japan, 3 battles with the Joker, a 200 foot robot, a battle with Gorilla Grodd and Bane and the creation of the bat ninja clan and 4 defections....IN 20 MINUTES OF SCREEN TIME.

Don't watch this movie.

• Like 1

A1CB0VDaoaL._RI_.jpg

Emmet Otter has over the last couple of years quickly become one of my favourite Christmas things. Despite eschewing many of the seemingly prerequisite (jingle)bells and whistles, it embodies the spirit of this special time of the year as much as anything my soul has come to know.

Impoverished felt otters Emmet and his mother Alice don't have much in this world, but they have each other, and that's enough. But Christmas is just around the corner... and they each have a musical gift they want to give to the other, and there's a talent contest with big prize money being held at the town hall... could it be the season for a miracle?

Emmet and Alice have an amazingly depicted family dynamic that ranks among the best I've come across in fiction. They provide the film's emotional anchor, and you're always on board for their stoically emotional rollercoaster ride, sharing their joys, fears, and sorrows. Its treatment of death and learning to live with it is a mature and life-affirming one.

The folksy songs are funny, spiritual, and introspective, all at once. It's not every Christmas movie that begins with a song about giant bathing suits. Paul Williams is one of the great unsung heroes of American songcraft, and this contains some of his absolutely finest moments.

Its humble and unassuming homespun charms represent perhaps the creative and dynamic pinnacle of the larger Henson ethos, certainly among his more emotionally-tinged works. It truly drives home just what the spirit of Christmas is all about, and why it's worth trying to embody it whenever you can, regardless of the time of year.

• Like 1

Watched BumbleBee the other day. I have no idea why everyone loved this one but hate the previous Transformers films so much. Outside of the great G1 designs, this movie bored me to tears. 

Previous films might not be a master class in writing...but I was never NOT entertained. This just felt like some weird coming of age film...I definitely prefer the "turn off your brain" action of the previous. 

However the opening 5 minutes on Cybertron were the best part of this movie and only proved we need a Transformers film that takes place entirely on that planet.

4/10

Edited by Viper

2 hours ago, BigPete7978 said:

Now watching one of my personal favorites from the series (even though most hate it), The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift. 

If you watch them in chronological order, Tokyo Drift comes between 6 and 7... 

Image result for just saying willy wonka meme"

RECENT ACTIVITY

ALL